• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2013 Season |OT| End of the Webber Era

Hammer24

Banned
Didn't there used to be qualifying specific tires? Might be misremembering that.

Not for a while now.
Its part of the cost saving measures, that teams have to get over a weekend with a limited number of tyre sets. And its the same for everyone.
In Malaysia, with some rain in the FP´s, it shouldn´t have been a problem to have enough tyre sets left for the race.

DBT85

Didn't there used to be qualifying specific tires? Might be misremembering that.

Go back to the early 1980s and you'll see a BMW powered car with a 1300-1500 HP 1.5l straight 4 Turbo engines that they only used for Quali. They were only used for Quali because they were running 50+PSI boost and would pop after a half dozen laps.

Check out the vid, narrated by Arnold 'Ace' Rimmer himself. Not as much detail in it as I had hoped :(

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/31678-massive-engines-bmw-m10-turbocharger-video.htm

You don't seem to grasp this concept of teams and not favouring either driver but making sure they don't crash into each other. It's not about two number 1's, it about letting them race to a point, and then calling it. It is quite possible to have two equal drivers and a policy of holding position after point x in every race.

You seem offended by the team nature of the sport, with your claims that you must have a clear number 1.

F1 will not be changing in that regard anytime soon, sorry.

Haha, yeah that "equal drivers" thing works except that there are no two points paying positions that pay equal points. No driver is ever getting equal treatment when it comes to the championship. The only reason there was any wiggle room on this GP was because it was the second of the season. If you think for a second RBR would have treated Webber "equally" if this was the penultimate GP and Seb's 4th championship was on online, "you should watch a different sport" or "move to another country" or whatever other insightful argument you throw back at people when they disagree with you on something.

Hammer24

Banned
Go back to the early 1980s and you'll see a BMW powered car with a 1300-1500 HP 1.5l straight 4 Turbo engines that they only used for Quali. They were only used for Quali because they were running 50+PSI boost and would pop after a half dozen laps.

Check out the vid, narrated by Arnold 'Ace' Rimmer himself. Not as much detail in it as I had hoped :(

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/31678-massive-engines-bmw-m10-turbocharger-video.htm

Nice find! I saw Patrese and Warwick with this car in Hungary in 86. The sound was... indescribable..

Dead Man

Haha, yeah that "equal drivers" thing works except that there are no two points paying positions that pay equal points. No driver is ever getting equal treatment when it comes to the championship. The only reason there was any wiggle room on this GP was because it was the second of the season. If you think for a second RBR would have treated Webber "equally" if this was the penultimate GP and Seb's 4th championship was on online, "you should watch a different sport" or "move to another country" or whatever other insightful argument you throw back at people when they disagree with you on something.

What the fuck is wrong with you?

Edit: And no, later in the season one driver will help the other. And if one driver was in front on points late in the season, that is to be expected. I am saying they do not have to choose who that will be early in the season. They can let the drivers race on merit until a clear leader emerges.

Leunam

Scuderia

What the fuck is wrong with you?

Edit: And no, later in the season one driver will help the other. And if one driver was in front on points late in the season, that is to be expected. I am saying they do not have to choose who that will be early in the season. They can let the drivers race on merit until a clear leader emerges.

Jesus. You should probably follow a different form of racing with only one car per team.

That one go over your head there? You suggest that I, "follow a different form of racing" because I have something to say about my favorite sport that I have been passionately following for over two decades and have spent entirely too much of my hard earned money traveling around NA to support. What I should have said was, "sod off for suggesting I watch another sport you arrogant dick" But instead I tried to use a more subtle jab at you by pointing out the pettiness of your reply by framing it in another context. I used your same flawless logic that others love to use when people have something to say about their own country like, "the US prison system is bullshit and horribly corrupt" and then a genius chimes in with, "why don't you move to another country!" As you can see, this response not only trumps any possible retort but it also reduces the discussion to a remedial level. I was having a bit of fun with you but it seems to have missed the mark. I apologize.

Leunam

It just might!

I explained to him that these were very unique circumstances and that despite this, Vettel is a really nice guy and a great driver. Good thing we've got the whole season to sort that out.

Hammer24

Banned
Whilst Schumacher might have pushed the boundaries a lot I don't think he'd have been as ungracious post race throwing that finger about everywhere.

Not towards the media, I´ll give you that.
But ask his fellow drivers, and you get a very distinct picture. I remember a Karl-Heinz Frentzen rant, I´ll never forget.

pants

Whilst Schumacher might have pushed the boundaries a lot I don't think he'd have been as ungracious post race throwing that finger about everywhere.
Schumacher also had no problems with intentionally knocking people off the road in Damon Hill x 2 and Villeneuve. Something Piquet Jr. effectively got banned from the sport for forever.

Fuck I posted in that thread again :/

Ark

Schumacher also had no problems with intentionally knocking people off the road in Damon Hill x 2 and Villeneuve. Something Piquet Jr. effectively got banned from the sport for forever.

Crashing into someone else is the same as crashing yourself?

Piquet Jr couldn't live with his own guilt.

What do you think the chances are that Webber suddenly decides to leave Red Bull in this 3 week long pause

That would be silly for Mark, he'd only make RBR pleased with that. It's totally possible though.

If that happens though, RBR should hire Bianchi immediately.

pants

Crashing into someone else is the same as crashing yourself?
Indeed not, I would argue Schumacher's transgressions were far worse (and in repeating it he showed no remorse nor repentance)

Piquet Jr couldn't live with his own guilt.
I feel sorry for Piquet Jr, the people surrounding him where absolute serpents and he was far too soft/nice to have been put in that snake pit.

pants

DILLY YOU STAY OUT, YOU ARE GETTING TOO DEEP INTO IT.

I'm done with that thread, there is no discussion to be had with people when they deny MLB being a national league.

Ark

I feel sorry for Piquet Jr, the people surrounding him where absolute serpents and he was far too soft/nice to have been put in that snake pit.

If he was smart he would have kept his mouth shut until at the very least, he was in a new team. I can't remember if he went and told the FIA first, or the media though.

Zeppu

The problem with 'punishing' Vettel is that while I really like Webber, he's an underachiever, even when left on his own. He's nowhere as terrible as Massa was in 2011-12 and while he does do some great qualifying sessions he tended to mess up his starts, sending him back in the grid and giving him an uphill battle for the rest of race. Vettel on the other hand is hard headed, competitive and a lot more reliable race to race.

Any punishment RB gives to Vettel will reduce Vettel's chances to win the WDC but also Red Bull's chance of winning the Constructor's title.

I think Vettel's punishment is a fairly unanimous drop in respect from his team, his fans and his peers. Unfortunately that won't last too long, but it would be nice if Vettel found a way to redeem himself but hypothetically speaking I doubt anyone would really be pleased if In a reversed situation, Vettel let Webber pass.

Addnan

If they don't punish him they look weak, if they do put a serious punishment like a ban it lets Alonso come right back into the fight. Pretty hard decision.

Oh, and wtf was with that thread in OT.

Ark

I think Vettel's punishment is a fairly unanimous drop in respect from his team, his fans and his peers. Unfortunately that won't last too long, but it would be nice if Vettel found a way to redeem himself but hypothetically speaking I doubt anyone would really be pleased if In a reversed situation, Vettel let Webber pass.

That's a consequence, not a punishment.

The entire reasoning behind a punishment for Vettel would be to prove and re-iterate that the team is in control. But Horner has more often than not, showed that not to be the case over the few years (at least in the public eye).

DBT85

Just give Vettel FI's pit crew for a single stop in China, that should be punishment enough :p

Naa to be fair to the crew FIs problems were caused by the new wheel nuts. They had no problems in testing or in Aus but apparently the heat in Malaysia caused them to stick.

Give him whatever KERs system Mark usually has in his car. That's punishment enough.

What do you think the chances are that Webber suddenly decides to leave Red Bull in this 3 week long pause

There are at least five (arguably better) drivers who would take that spot in a heartbeat.

Before doing so I imagine Webber should remember all the times he's been asked to help and made life extremely difficult (if not ignored the team completely like Vettel did last race). The last one was only two races ago so it shouldn't be too much of a struggle for him. At best his raging is hypocritical, at worst, downright disingenuous.

I would genuinely love to see how he'd react to how Ferrari would make him play second fiddle. That opportunity is long gone now though.

None. He's not a top tier driver. All the fast cars are taken anyway.

The only thing I could see if that he could goto someone like Lotus and replace Grosjean but even that would be a longshot. Lotus rather take a chance on a young driver maturing and being fast than a 2nd Tier aging driver.

Ark

None. He's not a top tier driver. All the fast cars are taken anyway.

The only thing I could see if that he could goto someone like Lotus and replace Grosjean but even that would be a longshot. Lotus rather take a chance on a young driver maturing and being fast than a 2nd Tier aging driver.

He wouldn't go to another team, he'd retire instead.

dubc35

lol, still funny. "Lewis! gtfo! you're down at Merc now!"

_66576811_hamiltonpit.jpg

Ark

Webber grows disenfranchised and bows out, freeing up that seat for Kimi to step in and put Vettel in his place. Please let it be so.

I can't ever see Kimi leaving Lotus. He - and the rest of the world - have seen how Vettel-centric RBR is (again, that's not new news). Lotus lets Kimi be Kimi.

He won Australia 100% of his own accord, they had a good car last year and it seems they might even have a better car this year.

Top Bottom