• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2013 Season |OT| End of the Webber Era

dubc35

webbah_zps1e2f2438.jpg

Multiple fucks were given avatar.

Scuderia

Which is why i can't see any sort of punishment coming to Vettel (apart from possibly a monetary fine), anything that might threaten his championship prospects against drivers with more skill and talent, such as Alonso or Kimi.

Yeah. Hard to imagine that Vettel would do same to Kimi as he did to Mark.

Hard to imagine Kimi doing to Vettel what Mark has either.

Not that I imagine Kimi being massively supportive of his teammates in a championship fight. I can't say I really remember him in his Ferrari days.

Joni

Honestly, even as friends, I'd expect Kimi to ram Vettel off the race track and then saying 'Should have multi 21'.

Shaneus

What do you think the chances are that Webber suddenly decides to leave Red Bull in this 3 week long pause
He won't leave. The best chance for him to ensure Seb doesn't get a fourth WDC is to challenge him at every opportunity possible. And given the difference in pace at both Australia and Malaysia, that could well be every race.

xl2Hor5l.jpg

Giedo Van Der Gardener

given the difference in pace at both Australia and Malaysia, that could well be every race.
If it wasn't for a stupid call to swap to dry tyres too early (Seriously, why on earth didn't they let someone else take the risk?) then Vettel would have been some way up the road.

I wouldn't expect that to happen every race.

As has been previously stated, anyone who thinks Webber didn't instantly turn everything up really doesn't know Webber at all.

...and again, you just can't defend against a DRS assisted car like Webber did (nor come back at him on the next couple of laps) without using everything at your disposal.

Omiee

Seriously who actually thinks webber turned his engine down?

As soon as he came out of the pits he was in a fight for the win with vettel for 3 laps.

When did he turn his settings down? During their fight in the first corner or the drs straights that followed?

This is the same guy that has always talked shit about his team and the chances he got from them. Always was going on and one about being a number 2 driver although that never was really the case. Not even last year when they let him fight for the win at monaco when they could have easly asked webber to slow the pack down so vettel could be first after his pit stop.

the same guy that fought vettel at silverstone and almost refused to help vettel last year at brazil. He basically let alonso pass him without any difficulties.

Yeah i dont think vettel should have apologized. Just man up and take responsibility for your choice not to give the win to webber.

Also vettel was really fucked on his 1st stop. but thats a different matter.

Shaneus

If it wasn't for a stupid call to swap to dry tyres too early (Seriously, why on earth didn't they let someone else take the risk?) then Vettel would have been some way up the road.

I wouldn't expect that to happen every race.
Wasn't that Vettel's stupid call?

Omiee

So when ever something bad goes down its vettel's call? Its the teams call to get him in or not. Dont you hear all those radio messages about box now box now.

They should have left him on the track in stead of putting him into traffic.

Omiee

http://www.nu.nl/sport/3380390/rivalen-webber-en-vettel-schudden-elkaar-hand.html

im sorry its in dutch.

Wauw 2,3 is freaking fast. RBR were close though this weekend.

Rivals' Webber and Vettel shake hands
During the race Sunday at the Sepang circuit Mark Webber still stuck his middle finger up to his teammate Sebastian Vettel. A day after the Grand Prix of Malaysia shook Formula 1 drivers of Red Bull each hand, whether or not sincere.

'' For us, the question thus settled,'' insured sporting director Helmut Marko.
Vettel won the second Grand Prix of the season in memorable fashion. The triple world champion was in the final against the team orders of Red Bull and passed the evil Webber, who had long been in the lead driven mercilessly.
This led to a tense atmosphere after the racing team and between the German and Australian driver.
Vettel offered soon after the unusual action his apologies to his teammate after a day later during the debriefing of the race the desired handshake between two 'rivals' followed.
Observers expect, however, that not all this cold at Red Bull off the air. "Of course, this need some time," said team boss Christian Horner earlier on Monday al

Shaneus

So when ever something bad goes down its vettel's call? Its the teams call to get him in or not. Dont you hear all those radio messages about box now box now.

They should have left him on the track in stead of putting him into traffic.
I don't remember hearing those messages, I thought it was more along the lines of "Let us know when you're ready to come in". Pretty sure it wasn't something as urgent as calling him in right away.

But if there's transcripts, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong :)

dubc35

I wasn't a fan of Vettel before and I'm still not. I'm not a huge Webber fan either. I just wish this happened in a race when a race was following the week after so there will be something else to talk about. We have 3 weeks until China. :(

Sort of, but the point is you'd think you'd have strategists working that out rather than relying on the driver to call it. Frankly I was surprised when Rocky even asked him about it. Seemed at least a lap too early if not more.

Ask the driver if they think they can handle the change, but have the big brains working out if it's the right move at the right time.

I wasn't a fan of Vettel before and I'm still not. I'm not a huge Webber fan either. I just wish this happened in a race when a race was following the week after so there will be something else to talk about. We have 3 weeks until China. :(

I can't see the forum giving a toss for much more than a couple more days unless some new news comes out related to it. Pretty much all that can be said has been said.

Wes

venison crêpe
What do I have to do to get a job as one of the guys who hugs Alonso?

Have a university degree in Race Engineering and a couple of years experience in various racing teams in different competitions.

At least, that was the case for someone I went to university with who is now at Williams.

Dead Man

That one go over your head there? You suggest that I, "follow a different form of racing" because I have something to say about my favorite sport that I have been passionately following for over two decades and have spent entirely too much of my hard earned money traveling around NA to support. What I should have said was, "sod off for suggesting I watch another sport you arrogant dick" But instead I tried to use a more subtle jab at you by pointing out the pettiness of your reply by framing it in another context. I used your same flawless logic that others love to use when people have something to say about their own country like, "the US prison system is bullshit and horribly corrupt" and then a genius chimes in with, "why don't you move to another country!" As you can see, this response not only trumps any possible retort but it also reduces the discussion to a remedial level. I was having a bit of fun with you but it seems to have missed the mark. I apologize.

Jesus. You are a lunatic. It does nothing at all that you have suggested. A reasonable reply would have been "Nah, I've watched F1 for ages, I love it but this part gets me angry'. That is a reasonable reply, not paragraphs of anger and some weird connection of me to 'love it or leave it' people.

Anyway, have fun with F1 I guess.

James Allen - Analysis: Why did Vettel ignore team orders and pass Webber? Interesting read.

To clarify (my memory's a bit hazy this morning) James Allen is the guy who always runs through rule changes and regulations with diagrams and such for the laymen to understand, yes?

I think you are thing of ScarbsF1, Craig Scarborough. James Allen was the ITV tv commentator along with Brundle before they moved to BBC. He was terrible as a race commentator, but since then he does pretty good work as a feature journalist.

Shaneus

Another interesting article: Joe Saward - What Sebastian Vettel might learn from Shakespeare…
Covers a lot of points far more eloquently and concisely than I ever could. No idea if he's known as a good writer or not, but seems to remain level headed in that piece.

Surprised at the number of comments, though. Guess we'll see that sort of thing on every blog that has an opinion piece regarding what happened on the weekend.

I think you are thing of ScarbsF1, Craig Scarborough. James Allen was the ITV tv commentator along with Brundle before they moved to BBC. He was terrible as a race commentator, but since then he does pretty good work as a feature journalist.
Bang on. I kept wondering how Channel Ten could get someone so technically minded to work on their team. That explains it!

He does do quite a good job for them. I'm actually surprised he's only doing features for Ten rather than some other international station (although he may do, just a quick change of shirt and microphone badge and he's on his way).

So what are the huggers doing anyway? Stabilising the car?
I should go for that role at RBR. Then accidentally "miss" each time and hug Mark instead. He probably needs that at the moment :(

;)

Dead Man

Another interesting article: Joe Saward - What Sebastian Vettel might learn from Shakespeare…
Covers a lot of points far more eloquently and concisely than I ever could. No idea if he's known as a good writer or not, but seems to remain level headed in that piece.

Surprised at the number of comments, though. Guess we'll see that sort of thing on every blog that has an opinion piece regarding what happened on the weekend.

Bang on. I kept wondering how Channel Ten could get someone so technically minded to work on their team. That explains it!

He does do quite a good job for them. I'm actually surprised he's only doing features for Ten rather than some other international station (although he may do, just a quick change of shirt and microphone badge and he's on his way).

I should go for that role at RBR. Then accidentally "miss" each time and hug Mark instead. He probably needs that at the moment :(

;)
That Joe Saward article raises an issue that has been mentioned a few times, Horner's lack of authority compared to Brawns. I get the impression from this and other articles that Horner tries to use a soft touch in controlling the team that may not be working as intended. Brawn on the otherhand does not worry about niceties, he just tells people what to do and they do it.

Gruso

I consider him good, and that article sums up the whole situation nicely. He's actually part of the travelling F1 circus - you will sometimes see him asking questions in the press conferences.

Shaneus

I consider him good, and that article sums up the whole situation nicely. He's actually part of the travelling F1 circus - you will sometimes see him asking questions in the press conferences.
I'll keep an eye on him then, for sure. I didn't know whether the tsunami of comments on that article was indicative of every single article on the issue or whether it was because he's a good journalist.

Also saw that he wrote this, sounds really interesting:
JlbvPwp.jpg

That Joe Saward article raises an issue that has been mentioned a few times, Horner's lack of authority compared to Brawns. I get the impression from this and other articles that Horner tries to use a soft touch in controlling the team that may not be working as intended. Brawn on the otherhand does not worry about niceties, he just tells people what to do and they do it.
I'm thinking the same thing. I suppose it was never really an issue since Seb joined the team and started winning (ergo, the "preference to the WDC leader" always applied to Vettel), but it could explain why a lot of the decisions made in the past could've been pushed on Horner from someone like Marko. Not necessarily all of them, but the wing incident at Silverstone 2010 could be an obvious indicator.

I'd love to know just how different the team could've been had Mark won the WDC in 2010. You'd almost have to say that it'd be a drastically different culture at RBR today if that were the case.

Shaneus

I was just looking up the exact details on the wing thing in 2010 and I'd *completely* forgotten about this piece of information from it:
While Webber was articulating his argument, a telling vignette was unfolding in the garage below. There, Webber’s mechanics were openly gloating over their victory in front of Vettel’s.

They had been angered when told to give up their front wing, knowing the one on Vettel’s car had only broken loose because his mechanics had not fitted it properly.

The race won, they unbolted the old wing their man had been forced to use and brandished it provocatively at the Vettel camp.

It was an indication of how deep and how personal Red Bull’s civil war has become. It first blew up at the Turkish Grand Prix when Vettel seemed to crash into Webber as they duelled for the lead. The team’s motor sport adviser, Helmut Marko, strangely sided with Vettel at the time.
Even though it wasn't the fault of the mechanics, I wonder if there may be a similar (if more muted) feeling in the garage this time around? Or perhaps even Vettel's mechanics feel frustrated with his behaviour as well as Webber's?

I think there'll be a lot more politics going on behind the doors of RBR than just that b/w people like Horner, Webber, Vettel and Marko (and other people at that "executive"-type level). The flow-on to the other team members will be interesting to gauge (if that's at all possible). I started following one of them on Twitter the other day (because of this) so I'm curious to see what he says, if anything.

DrM

Redmond's Baby

If he removes his red glasses...

;)

Nice article. I don't think he has damaged his reputation in the eye's of his fans, maybe be even increased it, or in the eye of the general every two weeks viewing public but he has definitely damaged his rep in the eye of the commetariat. It's these people that 20 years from now when they sit down to write his life story they are going to write "Fantastic driver, 9 times world champion, but..." I imagine when Vettel sits down and really thinks about it I suspect he will genuinely regret the incident.

Anyway at least it's given us something to fill the 3 long weeks until china.

Shaneus

I thought of another scenario on the way home, something to think about: What if this results in Vettel leaving RBR? Seb may have always thought "Sure, equal drivers, but everyone knows I'm #1 around here", but then this situation comes along and with how public it's been, may throw him off balance to see that the people who have final say in the team actually care more about team performance (and public perception of that team) rather than just the performance of one driver.

I dunno. I mean, there's been talk before of him jumping ship before this event, but if RBR can get wins for the team without Vettel (and there's every indication they could with Webber... though probably not as consistently) then they may not be as eager as everyone would think to make sure he stays there.

Top Bottom