• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2013 Season |OT| End of the Webber Era

malyce

Android/F1 GAF should check out "Days Until" on the Play store... Cool app

eUPQNH5.png

Ark

I have a feeling I'm gonna feel really dumb when I find out the answer, but what exactly does "Multi 21" mean?

It's some sort of RBR jargon. Most likely the code for the agreement that the drivers were to hold station after the last round of pit-stops.

Klocker

Yes, they're absolutely real. Absolutely. Like 100%.

ok thanks ;)

I have a feeling I'm gonna feel really dumb when I find out the answer, but what exactly does "Multi 21" mean?

I assume Multi-multiple podium finish 21- Driver 2 1st followed by driver 1 in that order

which was why Webber was blasting Vettel in paddock with "Multi21 mate!"

meaning you know damned well the win was called for me

Shaneus

Two additional things I wasn't aware of. Probably obvious and uninteresting, but I think they're worthy of posting:

Jenson Button argued that Vettel's actions in Kuala Lumpur represented a serious violation of team discipline.

"If you are told to do something by the team, and you completely ignore what they say and it costs your teammate a win, that's big," Button said. "I find team orders difficult anyway but to disregard them is something different. We all want to win, but Sebastian drives for Red Bull and they have to call the shots. So many times it has worked in his favour. I think it will hurt Sebastian in the long run. I am surprised he did it."

Mark Webber's father, Alan, said: "Up and down the pit lane Mark has not lost any credibility at all. It is probably Sebastian who has lost an awful lot. I think it will take a while to earn the respect and trust again."

He also stressed that the entire Red Bull team had expressed displeasure with Vettel's conduct: "Sebastian disobeyed team orders and most, if not all the team are disappointed in him."
link

AUTOSPORT has learned that Webber was so infuriated by Vettel's actions that he initially did not wish to take part in the podium ceremony, but he was eventually convinced to do so.

Although Vettel apologised for his actions - following a heated exchange with Webber both before and after the podium - the matter has opened up fresh tensions between the two drivers at Red Bull.

Team principal Christian Horner sat down with both drivers on Sunday night in Malaysia to vent his own frustration at the situation, but he wants further talks with Vettel to discuss where the matter goes from here.

When asked if it was possible sanctions could be taken against Vettel, Horner said: "It is type of thing that we talk about behind closed doors.

"He and I have had a discussion already and, taking the emotion out of it with time to reflect, we will have a discussion before the next race."
link

Yoritomo

Red Bull pays their drivers on performance bonuses. Just exclude all 25 points from his end tally of points for his performance bonus. Fundamentally though this is all bullshit. The actual race between Vettel and Mark was awesome. It needs to be like that every race. Team orders does us a great disservice as fans of racing.

Shaneus

But would Vettel have even had the chance had they been playing by the same rules? Who's to say that he would've been anywhere near Webber if Webber wasn't following the plan?

The local Canberra/Queanbeyan sports news reader just stated outright that Webber will not be at Red Bull next year. The local news does cover him quite a bit as he is a local boy, but I find it hard to believe Win news has the scoop.

I imagine it is a misunderstanding from Flavio's interview as the station production values are barely above community TV, but who knows?

It will simply be like Lewis and Alonso in 2007 going forward.

I don't see a problem in that, more fun for F1 fans now and that makes Seb's title challenege even more tough

I predict a different WDC for this year. And if it was Webber.. I'll be extremely happy..

It will simply be like Lewis and Alonso in 2007 going forward.

I don't see a problem in that, more fun for F1 fans now and that makes Seb's title challenege even more tough

I predict a different WDC for this year. And if it was Webber.. I'll be extremely happy..

You know, Kimi won the Australian GP on the road to the title in 2007, which was also the year that had McLaren falling apart. I'm not saying, I'm just saying.

The local Canberra/Queanbeyan sports news reader just stated outright that Webber will not be at Red Bull next year. The local news does cover him quite a bit as he is a local boy, but I find it hard to believe Win news has the scoop.

I imagine it is a misunderstanding from Flavio's interview as the station production values are barely above community TV, but who knows?

Probably just an educated gamble. I've been convinced for the last 3 years or so that he won't race beyond the end of 2013, let alone be at Red Bull next year. I think it's a safe bet he'll be retired or elsewhere.

Hammer24

Banned
It's some sort of RBR jargon. Most likely the code for the agreement that the drivers were to hold station after the last round of pit-stops.

Nope on both counts.
Its an coded order from the times when team orders were banned, all teams use it.
Multi21 simply means: "we want driver #2 to finish in front of driver #1".
BAR always heard "Multi12" ... ;)

Shaneus

I'm pretty sure that's exactly what it is. I can see how "Webber and Vettel won't be driving together next year" could be interpreted as "Webber is leaving RBR next year". I heard it on the news on my local radio station as well and I was flabbergasted. Highly doubt Briatore has given TWO interviews, each saying different things.

Probably just an educated gamble. I've been convinced for the last 3 years or so that he won't race beyond the end of 2013, let alone be at Red Bull next year. I think it's a safe bet he'll be retired or elsewhere.
I don't think so... he's shown no sign that he can't match it with the higher-ups and he's always gone on record as saying that he'll retire when he's not good enough (or he's not enjoying it). Pretty sure neither of those are the case at the moment.

Hammer24

Banned
After Race Wednesday

Radio Pitlane
- brit press is seething, comparing VET to MSC, asking for a one race ban; calling Horner Dr Frankenstein unable to control the monster he conceived
- the talks between Horner, VET and WEB in the RBR pavillon Sunday night took so long, that the drivers had to cancel their planned flights home and reschedule
- in Quali the weather radar went bonkers, but instead of showing a simple black screen it showed a loop of the last couple minutes. Thats why some teams (like SAU) got surprised by the rain.
- BUT did a mini triathlon to prepare for the race. The running part he did on the track, it took him 25min start to finish. However, he stopped after the one lap saying he´d dehydrate to heavily.
- australian book makers run a "Justice Refund". Whoever bet on a WEB win gets his money back
- MCL did a survey who fans want as team principal - Whitmarsh lost by a large amount, fans want Dennis back *trollface*
- back to the SAU broken tank in Australia: the same designer who did this years SAU did the 2004 WIL, also with a breaking tank...
- CAT and MAR didn´t find a way to go together, talks broken off without result
- VIL said he´s more exhausted after a weekend as journalist for Canal+ and Sky Italy than he was when racing
- no more paper: with the exception of MAR and FOI all teams stopped handing out press releases on paper, its now eMail only
- LOT made a lot of friends with their sponsor pavillon: they had ice from Unilever(Langnese), Rexona deo spray, and (loud) music from Foo Fighters, Depeche Mode and David Bowie thanks to the new Columbia contract
- ALO got celebrated for his 200th GP start. But we all know, it was only his 199th...
Remember Indy 2005? Like all Michelin drivers he drove back to the box after the formation lap, not starting the actual race.

Tidbits
- had WEB won infront of VET, both would lead the WDC with 33 points each
- 13th 1-2 finish for RBR, 10th with VET infront of WEB
- 200th race for WEB as well - but his 198th start (Indy 2005, see ALO / Barca 2002, when Minardi had rear wing problems not letting their cars go)
- 27th win for VET, tieing Jackie Stewart on #6 all time. Three more to catch ALO on #5.
- 3rd Malaysia win for VET, tieing ALO and MSC. No driver won 4 times yet.
- HAM and HUL get points whenever they start in Malaysia, but both couldn´t win there yet.
- 4th time for MAS being faster in quali than ALO. Thats ALO third series like this (2003 and 2004 vs Trulli, and 2007 vs HAM). No driver beat him 5 times in a row (yet?).
- first time in row 1 for MAS since Bahrain 2010
- MAS now leads the WDC standings 22-18 vs ALO. Since ALO drives for FER thats only the second time this happened. First time was after Malaysia 2010.
- just like HAM back in the days, PER drove on his second race for MCL the fastest race lap
- 50th podium for HAM, and probably his saddest
- HAM and ROS got 27 points for Merc, the most in a single race since the team drives as Mercedes
- MCL a record 60th consecutive time with points. Last time without was Abu Dhabi 2009 (KOV 11th, HAM DNF with brake problems)
- both FOI DNF, last time this happened was Japan 2010
- why did VET do what he did? Try this: he won two of his titles with less than 7pts difference (2010-4, 2012-3)
- 1st time in 15 tries GRO finished infront of RAI
- MAL now the 3rd time in a row DNF ineither of first two races
- six pilots had trouble getting from the pit to the grid: Ricciardo, Gutierrez, Bottas, Bianchi, Maldonado and Webber - but everyone made it without external help

Hammer24

Banned
too expensive(for my taste).. but yeah saw it in use sometime ago, nice app

Its really worth it. They are showing even more details than last year, and quicker than the spare data on TV to boot. Every sector time, every sector high speed trap, tyres, stint analysis, what have you.

Hammer24

Banned
I can't imagine he'd want to go to a team that isn't challenging for the title, so silm.

Well, he isn´t exactly challenging for the title at RBR either.
I can imagine some teams going hard after him, for getting an experienced driver who could help them develop next years new car.
And it would be good for his ego to show that he can be a #1 driver.

Fuzz Rez

Banned
Well, he isn´t exactly challenging for the title at RBR either.
I can imagine some teams going hard after him, for getting an experienced driver who could help them develop next years new car.
And it would be good for his ego to show that he can be a #1 driver.

Not that many went after Barichello after he left Ferrari at least top teams. And I wonder if Mark is going to drive for the loser teams.
Ferrari could have been possibility but seen as Mark isn't going submit to being second driver I don't think they want him either. Maybe Lotus or Williams would be fit for him.

You never really know, maybe Webber will let his hatred of Vettel fuel him and he'll go on to win the championship this year. I don't think he has the skill to beat Vettel on a regular basis, but it might just be that Vettel is knocked off balance a bit by this "scandal" and has enough off races for Webber to take advantage.

Hammer24

Banned
Maybe Lotus or Williams would be fit for him.

I can imagine him at LOT, he´d be an upgrade on GRO. I can imagine him going to SAU and FOI, both teams with tremendous upsides looking to take the next step.
Ican´t imagine him at WIL, this team is going down, hard.

Shaneus

So you´re saying he´s enjoying himself right now..? ;-)
Well, in the car he is.

Wait.

While driving he is.

Um.

While surfing in Australia he is ;)

But whether he'd go somewhere else or not... I doubt it. There's no other team that could challenge for WDC that doesn't already have a #1 driver (unless he did a straight swap with Raikkonen, get him to teach Vettel a thing or two) and I'm pretty sure he'd have good prospects outside of F1. Hasn't he been rumoured to have ties with Porsche's return to LMP racing?

You never really know, maybe Webber will let his hatred of Vettel fuel him and he'll go on to win the championship this year. I don't think he has the skill to beat Vettel on a regular basis, but it might just be that Vettel is knocked off balance a bit by this "scandal" and has enough off races for Webber to take advantage.
Not only is that what I'm hoping, that's actually what I'm seriously thinking. On a very short-term scale, it's exactly what happened at Silverstone 2010.

Also important to note is that he may well have his starts under control now. We didn't get a chance to see it in Melbourne (though IMO he did well to finish 6th) but he absolutely nailed the start at Sepang. No reason he couldn't do it again (except for faulty parts, obv.).

Joni

I can imagine him at LOT, he´d be an upgrade on GRO. I can imagine him going to SAU and FOI, both teams with tremendous upsides looking to take the next step.
Ican´t imagine him at WIL, this team is going down, hard.

Lotus can hardly pay Raikkonnen, imagine what they would do with two top drivers.

Top Bottom