• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT| Who Will Win? Nobody Nose

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not just Newey, he's got an equally talented technical team surrounding him. When he retires in a few years nothing will change at RBR other than the name of their CTO.

Newey is like the Schumacher of car designers. Relentless in his pursuit of the perfect car (though it seems, to our detriment, that he's found a way to stop them from exploding).

Newey is a metonymy for the entire technical crew at RBR.

But I agree with you.

malyce

What does Newey do that others can't? You take off his flexi-wings, EBD, engine maps, beam wings and the man still produces something that's in a class of its own....

Hopefully Renault doesn't recover/match the Mercedes/Ferrari engines. That's the only thing preventing another 2011/2013.

"All Formula 1 teams place their faith in someone more powerful than them and they cannot survive unless they blindly follow that person. The recipient of that faith then seeks out someone in an even higher position in order to escape from the pressure. That person then seeks out someone even more powerful that he must put his faith in. In this way all kings are born and in this way all Gods are born. Do not believe in me yet, Sebastian Vettel for now I shall slowly teach you who the God is that you will put your faith in. Believing in me comes after that."

~ Adrian Newey

Ark

What's the name of the pod the driver sits in? I've completely forgotten. IIRC it begins with an H but I'm drawing a total blank.

EDIT: FOUND IT. 'Monocoque'. I knew it was French at least.

Poor Newey just wants to design boats and yet those evil people at Red Bull keep throwing money at him.

The RB10 would be the best looking car on the grid if it wasn't for the livery. The shape is fantastic.

If Merc being able to run with less than 100kg of fuel is true, at the pace they've shown, you can forget about this season being even close... it'll be like the old Ferrari days of dominance.

Ark

If Merc being able to run with less than 100kg of fuel is true, at the pace they've shown, you can forget about this season being even close... it'll be like the old Ferrari days of dominance.

Replace 'Merc' with 'Red Bull/Vettel' and you've got the first pre-Aus posts from the last four years. I still refuse to believe RBR won't win either title this year, that's how badly they've scarred me. Even if they do dominate, it'll be nice to see Rosberg winning some.

DBT85

Would be very interesting if that Merc fuel thing is true. Would give them more headroom to fuel up and just run harder if others get faster.

Ark

Here it is, but it could be taken down quite soon.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moW0YocV5oQ

Thanks. That's the most planted I've ever seen the Mercedes look, impressive.

Beaten.

This is why I think (flip-flopping like a US politician right now) they will ultimately lap well into the 1:27s. So easy and clocked a mid-1:29s.

I'm in the same senate (next-level political puns). I just don't know which rumours to believe right now. Can't wait to for 6am on Sunday.

Lap looked quite uneventful.

Incredible how the sound difference actually makes it feel like they are going really slowly compared to last year.

That's a good sign (if you're rooting for Mercedes ;)).

tHoMNZ

Hopefully Redbull sort their power issues out and smash the field by a lap.

The cars are running at 12000RPM max. This is 100% due to the maximum fuel load regs.

They don't deserve high TV ratings for this shite.

On a positive note, at least, the cars are now a handful to drive and top drivers will have their chance to shine, regardless of their team.

DBT85

Hopefully Redbull sort their power issues out and smash the field by a lap. This way, everyone will stop watching.

The cars are running at 12000RPM max. This is 100% due to the maximum fuel load regs.

No way the cars are only running at 12,000 at that stage. There is no need to only run at 12,000 for hot laps except for sandbagging. Q3 will see exactly what is going on.

EDIT: The above may not actually be true. Interesting.

jey_16

Banned
I just watched the onboard footage for the first time....I can't believe how awful they sound, seriously wtf have they done to this sport

Caramello

The cars have far more of a growl in person.

The V8s you could hear coming, these cars you don't hear until right before you see them.

Xun

Replace 'Merc' with 'Red Bull/Vettel' and you've got the first pre-Aus posts from the last four years. I still refuse to believe RBR won't win either title this year, that's how badly they've scarred me. Even if they do dominate, it'll be nice to see Rosberg winning some.
Pretty much my thoughts.

Shaneus

Wow, that's something I'm surprised no-one mentioned here... with the quieter engines, to get more volume for the broadcast you can actually hear wind noise. Pretty sure that's the first time I've ever been able to notice it on an on-board camera.

Codies are fucked when they need to try and implement that in F1 2014 :p

Shaneus

The cars have far more of a growl in person.

The V8s you could hear coming, these cars you don't hear until right before you see them.
They sound fine in person. But that's not the problem. It's that they're quieter. I have no idea on DB/measurements or whatever, but it has to be in the realm of ~10-12db from where I was sitting in the Prost stand. (that's a rough guesstimate of the cars being about as loud now as they were last year with my earplugs in, which reduce sound by 12db)

Just subscribing, first time hearing the cars today during a replay of p2 and I'm disappointed, don't get the same feel I used to get from the sound of a car going by.
Trust me, it's even more unexciting in person. At least if you go to a race you can forget your earplugs!

MrKaepora

untitled-6miosl.gif

A little late in the thread but I just wanted to say that is good to have you back. Carry on.

I'm going to Spa this year and I'm actually a bit gutted that I never got to do it in the V8 days. I had heard it was like an amphitheatre of sound, with it feeling like the cars were all around you.

Wow, that's something I'm surprised no-one mentioned here... with the quieter engines, to get more volume for the broadcast you can actually hear wind noise. Pretty sure that's the first time I've ever been able to notice it on an on-board camera.

Codies are fucked when they need to try and implement that in F1 2014 :p

This is what really interests me about the prospect of fully electronic racing cars, and the new sorts of aural experiences that'll lead to. As I said earlier on, that's much more interesting to me than a screeching engine.

And as for games, Geoff Crammond's games always featured a shit load of tyre squeeling. I'm pretty sure he was quoted as saying with regard to GP3 upon release, "If you can't hear your tyres squeeling, you're not driving fast enough."

No way the cars are only running at 12,000 at that stage. There is no need to only run at 12,000 for hot laps except for sandbagging. Q3 will see exactly what is going on.

EDIT: The above may not actually be true. Interesting.

I think the 11k - 12k rpm range offers peak power due to fuel flow restrictions, so running higher than this returns no benefit. Cosworth released their v6 power curve graph in that race car engineer mag.

All three engines sound bloody awful, F1 got Gran Turismoed :(

Pimpwerx

We'll get used to the engine sound. It's okay. If you want to get mad at something, get mad at what this means for the future of performance street cars. V12 and V10 engines are already reserved for exotics. The V8 might go that way in the next 10-15 years. :( Now that is a travesty. F1 is just being forward thinking. PEACE.

Klocker

really excited for the new season... love the change up...was so sick of last year... hopes it stays competitive for a while

even if it means Merc wins for a while ;)

but damn that Ferrari is ugly

Shaneus

This is what really interests me about the prospect of fully electronic racing cars, and the new sorts of aural experiences that'll lead to. As I said earlier on, that's much more interesting to me than a screeching engine.

And as for games, Geoff Crammond's games always featured a shit load of tyre squeeling. I'm pretty sure he was quoted as saying with regard to GP3 upon release, "If you can't hear your tyres squeeling, you're not driving fast enough."
It's almost a shame you don't get to experience the celebrity support races, sponsored by the Mazda 3 hybrid. Literally all you cam hear is rubber in contact with asphalt.

On that note, I highly recommend hunting down that video where an electric supercar does a lap around Nordschliefe. It's scary as hell.

Gruso

So no more F1LT this season, charging to have live timing on phone app and some features were removed from the f1 website live timing ?

Way to go FOM....

it sucks

F1LT v3.0 has surfaced! Get it while you can...

http://www.reddit.com/r/formula1/comments/20cqvi/f1lt_v30_updated_for_2014_download_here/

For newcomers to F1LT, this gives you access to ALL the data that FOM previously offered for free, and then some. It's tremendous. It ninjas the data direct from the source, so you need to log into the app with your formula1.com login (free).

I need three more monitors!

Dead Man

Have you guys tried the new FOM app? I just tried the android version and HOLY COW! This thing is awesome this year. And you can have a free version and to upgrade it's only $10 compared to the previous years which was around $30-40 IIRC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom