• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT| Who Will Win? Nobody Nose

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
AUTOSPORT Live @autosportlive

But Ferrari's Stefano Domenicali suggests some teams "were hiding" today and the pecking order might look different again tomorrow. #F1

Already making up excuses... i really wonder what is he doing for LdM.

acm2000

quieter cars are a godsend for races like melbourne though where the loccomplain about the gp's noise every year, i love hearing the whirrrring and especially the tire screeching (PD, make a sample quick and replace your god awful gran turismo sound!)

Hammer24

Banned
SUNHI!!! Now the season is really there...

Couple small things:
- HAM had oil pressure problems in FP1, that's why the engine automatically shut down
- Merc sorted all cooling problems out, the car factory engineers for the street Mercs had a solution ready (that's a first, no? regular car tech advancing the racing car?)
- Mercs new revolutionary short nose didn´t make the crash test, some engineers even think it will be impossible, as it is "too short" (only 75cm of carbon for the impact)
- remember when I told you about the FER "turbo problems"? Well, Merc and Ren won the case. Or not - but FER is forced to add the (about 3kgs heavy) casing to the turbo; they just asked for more time to implement it, said they need to develop it first. If something would happen to one of their turbos in the meantime, FIA would be forced to declare them "unsafe" for racing.

In other news - anyone knows more about the RAI dolphin-punching-incident? Has totally slipped me by....

I went to my first ever GP at the inaugural US GP in Austin 2 years ago. It was such an awesome experience, but being new to this sort of thing, I didn't plan it out so well. By the time I tried to get hotels, just about everything was sold out. My dad, brother, and I had to stay in two different hotels for our two nights there. Both were on the outskirts of Austin, and both were charging obscene rent. Then we had to drive to one of the bus pickup stops downtown, and walk nearly a mile to the track from the bus drop off. At my dad's age this definitely wasn't ideal. The event itself left a great impression on me, however, and I'd like to go back this year

But I want to do it right this time. I'm looking for advice from any experienced GP goers out there. Is it better to find some sort of package deal with tickets/hotel? Is it worth buying the weekend parking pass? Since my dad is handicapped, is there some sort of handicap parking that we could take advantage of? Does anyone recommend some quality hotels? I just want to have the best experience possible this time, and not worry about all this extraneous stuff once I'm there.

Bumping this for the daytime crowd.

I've never done Austin, but in general packages aren't really required, and you can generally find out what hotels to go for by looking on TripAdvisor at what's near to the track and highly rated. As a general rule you should book as early as possible (in some cases just days after the race date is announced) as the best hotels book quickly (and many put their prices up once they know).

Ark

tumblr_n22oa2a7gV1t1f0hno1_500.jpg

Remember when the front wings used to look like that? God damn.

Surprised that FP2 seems to go with what we were expecting from Winter testing. I really struggle to believe that teams are sandbagging, especially at this point. If Vettel finishes outside of the top 5 on Sunday without external factors influencing, my hype will maintain through Malaysia.

I'm at that pessimistic hype stage now :p

Hammer24

Banned
What? Sutil will murder him for sure

All I know so far is, that its about a hilarious mixture of RAI + (way too much, even for him) alcohol + disco + a blowup dolphin doll; which he started to punch and wrestle for some reason.

DBT85

I now don't care what happens in the championship. Sunhi is back. That's all that matters

Hamilton for WDC woo yeah!

Didn't get a chance to watch this morning. Will check out the last 30 mins of FP2 before I get on with some stuff.

Ark

That's a big "if", though.

I have to admit that I'll be surprised if both Mercedes' finish the race, let alone in a 1-2 order.

Taking the race sims in FP2 as a measuring stick, its more like half of a second.

That's what I was thinking after seeing the FP2 times, but maybe Benson knows something we don't :p

EDIT: Apparently Rosberg was using too much fuel every lap. I'll be pissed if race wins boil down to 'yay I didn't run out of fuel'.

acm2000

wow, FIA has really messed up the sound mixing, we KNOW the cars sound better than this in videos from testing, but on tv its like the audio is dialled way down, hope they fix it for the race

Hasney

LOL!
On a more serious note, there is a chance PDVSA may pull the plug on him. He elbowed his way to Lotus, and it seems that wasn´t the best business decision PDVSA would have envisioned.

Yeah, I can see that, especially if Williams get a lot more points than them. As much as I love to hate on Pastor, I can't fault him for going to Lotus from Williams based on form going into this season.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Yeah, I can see that, especially if Williams get a lot more points than them. As much as I love to hate on Pastor, I can't fault him for going to Lotus from Williams based on form going into this season.

Then he knows nothing of the history of F1.

"Form" is not a reliable concept in the sport, multi-year domination of the type enjoyed in recent years by RBR is very much the exception, not the rule, and many many times have teams gone from an atrocious year or two to WCC / WDC winning performance in a single year.

Zeppu

I am equally excited about F1 being back and having sunhi back with the gifs!

I agree with you all though. It was stupid for BBC F1 to get rid of Gary. Goddammit his articles and insights were always so fascinating and well explained.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
So annoyed that I can't get the UK Sky commentary here in Germany.

ЯAW;104326044 said:
I wonder how many cars will finish sunday's race.

I wonder whether Lotus will DNF due to defects or due to crashes. So much tension.

The camera was on him as he was on the pit wall watching cars fly by, he turns around, removes his headphones (car drives past), and declares that "the sound of the cars is shit". Shaking his head with a look of disappointment/sadness. "This is not F1. Fuck you Bernie".
People need to stop blaming Bernard for the V6s. He hates them

Hammer24

Banned
AMS analysis on todays long runs:

ROS average 1.33,9
HAM average 1.34,2
VET average 1.34,6 (option)
VET average 1.34,8 (prime)

...but: Merc said to have problems staying within fuel limits, RBR not so much.
Lauda: "who drives faster needs more fuel *shrug*"

ALO average 1.35,0 (also on the fuel limit)
BOT average 1.34,8
FOI/MCL average 1.34,9

FOI happy with constant performance, think themselves on one level with MCL, but faster than TOR and SAU, hope for Top10.

SAU unhappy with technical problems that keep them from driving. "our supplier can´t help us much, as they are still learning themselves"

LOT and CAT already on their second sets of batteries (Maldonado, Ericsson) and electronics (Maldonado 2/8, Ericsson 1/8). It is expected both teams needing to break the curfew already. Kobayashi lucky, as his problem with the fuel leak was found before start of the session, so the exchange doesn´t count. GRO with a gearbox problem in FP1.

Horner: "We´re loosing three quarters to a second on the straights compared to Merc, which means we are faster in the corners"

MAS is sure to drive as fast as ALO, said they had lots of fuel onboard, while FER drove very light. But thinks he can´t beat Merc.

RAI said the car doesn´t break the way he likes it, when asked why slower than ALO. Domenicali said its not RAI´s fault, but a team´s problem they are working on.

I was under the impression that only Rosberg's stint was plagued by higher fuel consumption? Did Mercedes say anything about Lewis on the matter?

Once they figure out their issues with the power unit, Red Bull seems to be the team to beat again. The aero work on that car is impressive.

Nicktendo86

I want to see RB competitive and beaten fair and square, but if they are dominant I am done with the season. Can't fucking stand it when one team dominates. Plus I can't stand RB.

Once they figure out their issues with the power unit, Red Bull seems to be the team to beat again. The aero work on that car is impressive.

Two things:

1) RBR seemed to be trying harder than say Mercedes in their flying laps
2) RBR apparently is losing 0.5s-1s on the straights due to the power unit (AMuS quoting Horner)

Hard to say where RBR is, or rather, where Renault is. I don't think they are that far behind; maybe they are not running full revs or ERS, but it's the same I reckon for other manufacturers (Ferrari had issues with ERS, Mercedes likely running lower revs at the moment).

I don't think RBR will magically appear with a car that will trounce everyone come Barcelona.

EDIT: Checked top speeds, RBR is 1-2 kph slower than Lewis, 5kph slower than Ferrari - so I am not sure that their PU issues are that deep, unless other teams are running with much lower revs than usual (i.e. race setting than full qualifying trim).

Hammer24

Banned
If RBR becomes dominant again I will personally shit in every German mailbox.

Did you read the Horner quote? Its not from winter testing, but from today. Today, as in: the first time they drove with full power, all 160 ERS horses available. And they are still much slower on the straights, where people usually overtake, than most others.

Will they be able to overcome this? Hell yes, they still got the most money and lots of talent.
But will they dominate again? Hell no, its much closer together now, and FER/MER don´t sleep or skinnydip their balls all day.

Did you read the Horner quote? Its not from winter testing, but from today. Today, as in: the first time they drove with full power, all 160 ERS horses available. And they are still much slower on the straights, where people usually overtake, than most others.

Will they be able to overcome this? Hell yes, they still got the most money and lots of talent.
But will they dominate again? Hell no, its much closer together now, and FER/MER don´t sleep or skinnydip their balls all day.

From F1's website - speed trap in FP2.

9 44 Lewis Hamilton 17:01:15 311.8
10 22 Jenson Button 17:09:48 310.7
11 1 Sebastian Vettel 17:06:15 310.5
12 3 Daniel Ricciardo 16:58:51 310.4

Hammer24

Banned
From F1's website - speed trap in FP2.

Its not about the top speed at the end of the straight, they accelerate much slower coming out of the corner at the beginning of the straight. That's why they are much slower over the length of said straight.

Nicktendo86

I read they are still only running at 70%? :S

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom