• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT| Who Will Win? Nobody Nose

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
There are simply not enough animated smileys to describe how silly this looks :D

BnlBPsUIgAInEOy.jpg-large.jpg

DrM

Redmond's Baby
So their solution for the quiet engines is to tape a megaphone to the exaust?

I think there is no any other quick fix for the sound than to do something at the end of exhaust pipe. Any major exhaust alteration would mean a lot of work from the teams.

Gazzeta reports that Ferrari tested their engine on very limit, so it went kaboom in two laps...

DBT85

If it works and stops people bitching that the soul is gone then who gives a shit if it looks like a cone on the back?

We know Bernie will complain even if they got the noise back because he didn't want these engines in the first place.

Hammer24

Banned
Hammer24 what's your take on the rumours that Vettel was driving a bent chassi?

Hard to say, RBR run a very tight ship right now.
Latest news is VET had a date with Mateschitz couple days ago, where M. reminded him that he had a winning car for 4.5 of the last 5 years, and should focus more on the positive. Directly afterwards M. went to REN and put the screws on. Doesn´t think they can catch MER this year, but wants atleast one win in 2014. Sounds to me, as if they are already severely shifting to 2015 dev.

Shaneus

Hammer24

Banned
Fair enough, I guess more than anything they'd need more revs to increase the pitch.

Nearly impossible with current aero.
Just as a reminder: they could already go to 15000 rpm, but don´t as they can´t get the torque on the track. Right now no one goes over 12000.

Jibbed

Just as a reminder: they could already go to 15000 rpm, but don´t as they can´t get the torque on the track. Right now no one goes over 12000.

I read that the Mercedes teams were revving up to around 14,000..

No they don't run 15000 rpm because they must remain under the fuel flow limit and therefore increasing revs would only result in more friction with no increase in power.

See:

Q: (Gary Anderson - Autosport) Could I just add a second part: why is it 12,000 rpm instead of 15,000rpm?
AC: The fundamental reason is the fuel flow rate formula so you get the 100 kilograms per hour once you’re at 10,500 rpm. If you rev an engine faster, you generate more friction and friction is the enemy of an engine and the enemy of a race car because you have to reject it to the radiators and there’s then an aerodynamic deficit from doing that. None of us want to be below 10,500 rpm but none of us want to be at high revs because all you do is create heat.
RW: There’s not much to add. The fuel flow curve, the fuel law is the thing that fixes the engine speed as Andy indicated. We hear a little bit less about the slope below 10,500 than the maximum which is 100 kilos but it is that knee point that fixes the rpm at which the engines make the best power and best efficiency and the engine speed above that is to do with the spread needed to pass the gear ratios.

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2014/4/15739.html

Hammer24

Banned
Still not sure where I'm going in 2015. Guess I should start giving it some thought.

I can only give the same answer as every year: everyone has to experience Monaco once. But not on a budget! (Shan, start saving!)
Second best for me is Spa. And that's comparably cheap.

Shame that the nearest GP is in Germany (living in Finland) =/. Back in 90s some people tried to set up finnish GP but it never materialized... Damn it would be nice.

mclem

- said E.´s weakpoint was his desire to remain the boss of F1, "I´d rather die in a puddle of gas than relinquish my F1"

A puddle of gas?

That's it. I don't think someone with such a flagrant disregard of basic scientific principles should be allowed near F1.

Hammer24

Banned
Shit. I hope F1 is still around in 2020 ;)

The point is: don´t buy tickets to the grandstands. You need a ticket to the rooftop parties, that's where its at. Overnighting can be had cheap(er), if you stay in Nice (France) and commute. But both things need longterm planning anyway.

Edit: Protip. If the party organizer offers a package with a ticket to the Sunday evening gala with the royalty, you choose the right deal. ;)

I can only give the same answer as every year: everyone has to experience Monaco once. But not on a budget! (Shan, start saving!)
Second best for me is Spa. And that's comparably cheap.

Spa is this year, but yeah, if I do Monaco I'm doing it right. Already know where I want to stay / what I want to do.

Can't afford that next year though most likely.

I'm lovin this thread!

F1 is really turning to a joke now. Bernie's touch is missed. He wouldn't have allowed for all of this shit to happen.

Hate him as much as you want, but the man knew how to create a show, bar the sprinklers and the medals ideas :p

Ark

The only reason it's 'turning into a joke' is because of people who think the 'spirit' of F1 is the noise and not the racing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom