• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT| Who Will Win? Nobody Nose

Status
Not open for further replies.

John_B

Hamilton only needed to improve by 0.055 to beat the current best time. He improved his own S1 from 19.973 to 19.906, so he was definitely within that window.

Rosberg however did not improve his own S1 and suddenly caused a yellow flag in front of Hamilton.

I understand people take sides because they have affection for drivers, but this was a pretty shitty move that ruined the show and likely turned their own garage a bit sour. Though I still hope we get to watch Hamilton chasing Rosberg tomorrow for some excitement.

Yes, because people never celebrate their poles to not hurt their teammates feelings. They would especially not wave to their friends ond families in their home town.

That's a hollow pole, though. Because he ruined everyone else's qualifying. Celebrating when you made a mistake is not exactly a display of sportmanship and class.

Whether ROS is cleared or not, his high moral status is now on shaking grounds.

Hammer24

Banned
Because he ruined everyone else's qualifying. Celebrating when you made a mistake is not exactly a display of sportmanship and class.

He still drove the quickest lap. Whats not to celebrate, when your friends and family stand right there and cheer you on?

FuturusX

"Derek Warwick is the FIA driver steward this weekend. He and his team have a tough call to make. Did Rosberg make a mistake or deliberately drive into the escape road? And should he be penalised for reversing back onto track, thus keeping the yellow flags out? "

I don't want Rosberg to get a penalty at all. Sets the race up perfectly.

I don't want Rosberg to get a penalty at all. Sets the race up perfectly.

Actually, giving him a 5 or 10-place drop makes the race much better. We will have a much faster car trying to come back onto the podium and potentially winning the race.

Tomorrow will be a procession as always (if it stays as is).

bbyybb

CGI bullshit is the death knell of cinema
Actually, giving him a 5 or 10-place drop makes the race much better. We will have a much faster car trying to come back onto the podium and potentially winning the race.

Tomorrow will be a procession as always (if it stays as is).

If he gets penalized there is 0 chance of him winning outside of some weather or crash related miracle. It is just too hard to pass at Monaco.

Ark

Honestly, it looks to me like Rosberg just didn't know where he was going.

Why does Monaco always have to be dramatic.

cmr-94

how about any precedent for reversing back onto track in compromising position? if he's gunna get a penalty i think it'll be for that

dalin80

Banned
Honestly, it looks to me like Rosberg just didn't know where he was going.

It's understandable, I was playing Gran Turismo the other day and completely forgot which way the next corner at the Matterhorn went, it was quite embarrassing...

Doesn't look shady to me... Seems to be trying to get the rear under control/avoid a lock up due to late braking. Again, telemetry will show what actually happened either way.

Yes it does. Why doing all this waggling, unless you wanted to lock your front wheels (perhaps)? Just very odd steering wheel shens from someone in a top car in a fight for pole (and who's never put a foot wrong so far this weekend, or maybe in his career at Monaco).

Duuude, have you ever been there, no matter if wlaking or with your own car?!

I have been watching F1 for the last 18 years. This was just very odd. I have also driven on the Monaco track (albeit casually).

Did he do it on purpose or not? Who knows.

He can still get a penalty for reversing onto the track, though, which was reckless (more so at Monaco, than at any other track on the calendar).

Hammer24

Banned
I have also driven on the Monaco track (albeit casually).

Then you know, if you don´t perfectly Slalom down there, the rear will get very light and you get a lot of oversteer. The new Surface they put on for this year has defo more grip, and that makes it actually easier to make a mistake there.

He can still get a penalty for reversing onto the track, though, which was reckless (more so at Monaco, than at any other track on the calendar).

Yes, this is true. And will depend on why he did it.

Then you know, if you don´t perfectly Slalom down there, the rear will get very light and you get a lot of oversteer. The new Surface they put on for this year has defo more grip, and that makes it actually easier to make a mistake there.

Yes, this is true. And will depend on why he did it.

You slalom over the big bump which is much higher up on the straight than where he was doing his "slalom". He was slaloming in the braking zone (it appears he braked very late, as his speed trap at S1 is 7kph higher than his previous high.

Nicktendo86

Seems like a slam dunk to me, if the lock up was intentional or not is irrelevant, he was on an escape road and so was not in a dangerous position if he stayed there. By reversing out he kept the yellows out, and thus gained an advantage relative to the competition.

Hammer24

Banned
You slalom over the big bump which is much higher up on the straight than where he was doing his "slalom". He was slaloming in the braking zone (it appears he braked very late, as his speed trap at S1 is 7kph higher than his previous high.

Thats the problem right there. Looks to me like he was too fast, lost the rear and tried to get it back under control before the street got too short.

Ark

Ricciardo is like the awkward third-wheel to the Mercedes duo so far. I really do hope RBR can close the gap and Ricciardo can win a race this year.

Thats the problem right there. Looks to me like he was too fast, lost the rear and tried to get it back under control before the street got too short.

Fair enough. My problem is the reversing bit (which, it appears, has drawn out and kept the yellows on).

Hopefully we hear from the stewards soon.

T.Wolff told German press that ROS was not under investigation. Strange...

Zeknurn

Ricciardo is like the awkward third-wheel to the Mercedes duo so far. I really do hope RBR can close the gap and Ricciardo can win a race this year.

The only chance he has of winning a race this season is if the Mercedes boys take each other out.

7 tenths back in Barcelona. 3-4 tenths back in Monaco.

I just don't think so, unless Renault makes massive headways, I just don't see the gap closing. Mercedes also developing their car quite well too.

Byron Young ‏@byronf1 34s
The plot thickens. Apparently Mercedes have NOT been called (yet) before the stewards. No investigation they say but.... #f1

Ark

The only chance he has of winning a race this season is if the Mercedes boys take each other out.

Which is, funnily enough, probably more likely to happen if Rosberg doesn't get hit with a penalty.

1 second back in Barcelona. 3-4 tenths back in Monaco.

I just don't think so, unless Renault makes massive headways, I just don't see the gap closing. Mercedes also developing their car quite well too.

Eh it's possible. Berger still won that one race in '88!

Hammer24

Banned
My problem is the reversing bit (which, it appears, has drawn out and kept the yellows on).

No, the yellows would stay as long as the car was in there. To end yellow, the car would have to be removed, either by the marshalls or by driving it out.
Look, those drivers are not on a suicide mission. No sane Person would back it out there, especially not in Monaco, when you expect a car behind you that might not have a chance to brake and/or avoid. Thats why I think the marshalls waved him out, seeing the engine still running, thinking the large gap in traffic meant everyone was through.

Alan Baldwin ‏@alanbaldwinf1 40s
I think I've got this right. The FIA are investigating whether to investigate Rosberg's quali incident. Apparently, it's as simple as that.

Interesting...

Andrew Benson ‏@andrewbensonf1 12m
Raikkonen: "I am not here to judge anybody & say what was true & what was not. He knows himself. It is hard to say was it a mistake or not"

Mohonky

Very shady steering wheel action ahead of Mirabeau

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDldIaFRXRw
I am admittedly a Hamilton fan, but that looked very self imposed. He was wrenching the wheel about when the car looked to be steady, its a very unusual movement to be making while the rear end looks planted. To me it looks like he is purposefully throwing the car out of balance. He has cleared the poor surfaces on the road, then starts wrenching the wheel side to side. It doesnt make any sense.

Juicy Bob

I just refuse to accept that Rosberg is the type of guy who would consider cheating like that, let alone actively going through with it.

I just refuse to accept that Rosberg is the type of guy who would consider cheating like that, let alone actively going through with it.

And that's exactly why it makes sense for him to actually do it deliberately. People don't expect him to.

Anyway, for the record, I don't think that's the case, though it certainly went through his mind. All that hesitation approaching Mirabeau, with the best car on the grid, is just way too shady for me..

Hammer24

Banned
OK, right now probably no one wants to discuss something else, but here it goes:
There is some trouble brewing in FER pitlane. Looks like ALO ignored the teams strategy in Barcelona, and made up his own one, thus ticking off RAI. Big talks are being held to cool them down.

Caramello

OK, right now probably no one wants to discuss something else, but here it goes:
There is some trouble brewing in FER pitlane. Looks like ALO ignored the teams strategy in Barcelona, and made up his own one, thus ticking off RAI. Big talks are being held to cool them down.

Any more info on this right now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom