• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT| Who Will Win? Nobody Nose

Status
Not open for further replies.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Some news going the rounds today that STR under orders from RBR ran a test mule F1 car with wings removed between last pre season test and Oz GP.

They could be in trouble as its against the testing regulations.

Nicktendo86

Some news going the rounds today that STR under orders from RBR ran a test mule F1 car with wings removed between last pre season test and Oz GP.

yeah was reading about that, will be really interesting to see where this goes.

DBT85

I suppose the question is "what defines an f1 car?". AFAIK teams can run a test with old cars, non f1 cars etc, the FIA restrictions are on F1 testing.

Hammer24

Banned
I suppose the question is "what defines an f1 car?". AFAIK teams can run a test with old cars, non f1 cars etc, the FIA restrictions are on F1 testing.

As with everything in F1, there are also detailed rules in place for this. Sorry, I can´t tell them from the top of my head, but as far as I remember, if you use an F1 car, it has to be a chassis at least three years old (no matter the config), and you need upfront certification from FIA.
But don´t take it verbatim, my old brain is hazy...

Apparently it was legal and even Merc has done the same thing in the past. You can test a full size car on a rolling road as long as it's not an aero test, hence they pulled the wings off the car. Are the wings the only aero elements on the car? Probably not but it seems like one of those technically legal things.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Apparently it was legal and even Merc has done the same thing in the past. You can test a full size car on a rolling road as long as it's not an aero test, hence they pulled the wings off the car. Are the wings the only aero elements on the car? Probably not but it seems like one of those technically legal things.

Chassis without wings has aero properties, like anything in F1, but the majority of it comes from the wings. Rolling chassis can test for other things though like vibrations and air intake/heat output from the various parts.

Chassis without wings has aero properties, like anything in F1, but the majority of it comes from the wings. Rolling chassis can test for other things though like vibrations and air intake/heat output from the various parts.

Yeah that's kind of what I meant. It seems in the rules the front and rear wing are defined as aero elements while everything else is chassis/cooling/ducting etc... Brakes ducts are more aero that anything else now and the floor is one giant aero element.. I wonder if they had to remove them as well.

As for Merc, apparently they did a lot of ERS work using this method.

Hammer24

Banned
Yeah that's kind of what I meant. It seems in the rules the front and rear wing are defined as aero elements while everything else is chassis/cooling/ducting etc... Brakes ducts are more aero that anything else now and the floor is one giant aero element.. I wonder if they had to remove them as well.

As for Merc, apparently they did a lot of ERS work using this method.

Ah, these kind of test. Yeah, for engine work only. You can´t even drive through a turn, only straight.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Doh, wrong thread..

4 engines for Vettel, the slim chance he had of retaining his WDC is gone now.

Can you give a quick run-down what they say there. Slightly drunk and german is not my first language...

It is early - please bare with my hasty translation :)

"Montreal is not a RB track - too many straights, not enough corners (which aren't easy aswell). You can either win/lose a lot of time there.

Canada GP will be a big test because after changing the software again, Renault will let the engine run at 100% for the first time and on the other hand it is the ideal Mercedes track. Vettel knows that not only their engine is top.

Also important in Montreal next to top-speed is traction and brake stability. First discipline is not a problem for RB but even though big progress has been made when it comes to mechanical grip and the engine response "driveability" also needs good braking - and there are still issues with the Renault engine. Double-clutching while shifting down is still not precise enough and hard so the car becomes unstable within brake zones which results in lost time while cornering and braking.

2014 is Vettels saison of problems - everytime something different brakes. Actual FIA report: 3 engines, 3 turbo-chargers, 3 MHU-K, 3 MGU-H and 4 control units have been used up already. Only 2 batteries though. The crew is on exhausted and it became standard procedure to work on the gearbox, change some stuff every sunday morning.

Vettel will accept any penalties because of that mainly because he can't change it anyway and he already got the feeling for that in Barcelona because of a gearbox change.

Vettels breakdown in Monte Carlo ripped a even bigger hole in their spare part storage because not only the MGU-H and the turbo charger broke. Debris of the broken "loading wave" (can' think of the right word) was sucked in by the engine and after only 120km resulted in a completly broken engine. Vettel admits that he himself doesn't know anymore which engine they will use in Montreal. Renault teamleader Taffin answers for him - it is the 4th."

"loading wave" sounds like it's the turbine :)

A very visual description if so - love it.

After giving it some thought you could be right - it should be something inside the turbocharger. Now a coffee later it also reads "Laderwelle" not "Ladewelle" which makes a bit more sense when I Google it :)

ramparter

Banned
I can't remember what was the last time Ferrari brought midseason upgrades that actually made a difference. Not dismissing the possibility, just saying that it would awesome and most welcome!

Deadman

PSHOK5w.png

Engine component usage for the season so far.

Mastah

Formula 1 is poised for a revised weekend format in 2015 with Friday's practice schedule set for an overhaul, AUTOSPORT can reveal.

Teams have been debating various ideas to try to reduce costs in the future, and one proposal that has gained support is to revise the Friday timetable next year.

Sources have revealed that teams have now provisionally agreed to scrap the current format of two 90-minute sessions that has been in place for years.

Instead they want just a single 90-minute practice session on Fridays in 2015 - which is likely to take place late in the afternoon. It could even begin as late as 5pm.

The idea behind this move is that it will allow teams and personnel to arrive at grands prix one day later than they currently do, which will save significant costs on hotel and other related travel expenses.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/114297

So basically teams still want to spend as much cash as possible on development, while spectators and fans would get less value for (probably) the same money.

That's what we get when teams have a power to create and implement their "brilliant" ideas to "improve" the show and cut costs.

hadareud

The Translator
So basically teams still want to spend as much cash as possible on development, while spectators and fans would get less value for (probably) the same money.

That's what we get when teams have a power to create and implement their "brilliant" ideas to "improve" the show and cut costs.

The people watching on tv would get more for their money.

Because apart from students, the elderly and the bed-ridden, no one gets to actually see the Friday practice sessions.

Mastah

The people watching on tv would get more for their money.

Because apart from students, the elderly and the bed-ridden, no one gets to actually see the Friday practice sessions.

Yeah, because there are no repeats and you can't record anything...

These fools will run F1 into the ground, before someone will stamp his authority and take on real problems, which are prize money distribution and lack of cost cap.

hadareud

The Translator
Yeah, because there are no repeats and you can't record anything...

These fools will run F1 into the ground, before someone will stamp his authority and take on real problems, which are prize money distribution and lack of cost cap.

Watching something live is different from watching a recording.

You might as well suggest that people record the news and watch it a week later.

There's a reason why there's news and not olds.

Could be a decent step forward for Ferrari. Hopefully it wasn't just a couple of low fuel glory laps. I expect Mercedes have a bit left in the tank, but Ferrari could be the best of the rest if these times are legitimate.

Even McLaren aren't looking terrible today. Hopefully a step forward for them as well.

Great promo, and yeah, very unusual that you'd see a current driver driving another brand. I can't recall seeing Berger driving a race car of any variety after he retired. Did he ever test the BMW? I think he refused iirc.

Mastah

Watching something live is different from watching a recording.

You might as well suggest that people record the news and watch it a week later.

There's a reason why there's news and not olds.

And watching live competetive session, like qualifying or race, is different than watching practice.

Reducing Friday practice to only one won't save money for teams and will only make bigger teams stronger, and I think that is the true agenda behind this proposal:

Andrew Green (Force India): Well, first of all, from Force India's perspective, we don't see this as cost-saving at all. For us, we've always looked to use the FP1 session to blood in some new drivers and that was an income stream for us and if we lose that, that's going to be a relatively severe blow, which, in turn, will have an impact on our technical ability. So in that respect, I don't think it's cost-saving.

Giampaolo Dall'Ara (Sauber): Yeah, pretty much in line. Obviously from where I sit, I can't judge on the cost-saving side which is out of my area but technically, for a team like ours, the time at the track is very precious. Obviously we are more limited than other teams in simulation as a broad concept so time on track is extremely important for us. Obviously, if this happens, we would have to adapt our plans, try to – as mentioned – try to squeeze what we're doing now in two sessions into one and move off other points, for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom