• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT| Who Will Win? Nobody Nose

Status
Not open for further replies.
I disagree. The V8's sounded like a moped compared to the V12's to me. The V10's didn't sound nice.

Listen to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EctHizz_yNo
The onboard audio for the highest revving v10s and v8s dont do justice to the way those cars sound.
A good deal is lost when you cant hear the sounds reverberate around the track.
This is pure track of audio of Alonso doing a flying lap in a v8.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpnP3ot_LPE
While we seem to be in agreement about V12s sounding the best, the V8 was simply no slouch.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
The fuel flow limit is why the new V6 engines sound poor compared to the past.
If there was no fuel limit and they were going to the 15000rpm limit all the time they would probably sound fantastic.
Being limited to 10000rpm mutes the exhaust noise and resonance.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I thought they weren't limited by RPM but by fuel flow... 100kg/hr

Right. I think there is also an RPM limit but they are nowhere near close.

What's the argument for the fuel flow max? Why not just mandate an average, allowing boost periods mixed with coast periods. I have read about safety as letting these engines roar at max could blow them, and also the great power/speed differential between coast/boost cars. Would the difference be that dramatic?

hadareud

The Translator
The onboard audio for the highest revving v10s and v8s dont do justice to the way those cars sound.
A good deal is lost when you cant hear the sounds reverberate around the track.
This is pure track of audio of Alonso doing a flying lap in a v8.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpnP3ot_LPE
While we seem to be in agreement about V12s sounding the best, the V8 was simply no slouch.

Sounds better, but still very high pitched and missing oomph.

But again, what I'm saying is that there's always been complaints. Things change, some for the better, some for the worse. But either way, standstill is not an option in a sport like F1. There's too much drama and hysteria surrounding everything, especially the engine noise.

Hammer24

Banned
Right. I think there is also an RPM limit but they are nowhere near close.

RPM limit is 15000, Merc are the closest right now with 12700 peaks.

What's the argument for the fuel flow max?

The cars having turbos would mean they would go up to 1500hp without the fuel flow limit. The engines wouldn´t hold for a single lap.

Why not just mandate an average, allowing boost periods mixed with coast periods.

It´d defy the purpose. Whenever someone tries to overtake you with his "boost", you would simply use the same "boost" yourself. And the last twenty laps everyone would have to drive pedestrian and we´d be bored out of our skulls.

Dead Man

The cars having turbos would mean they would go up to 1500hp without the fuel flow limit. The engines wouldn´t hold for a single lap.
Which is stupid handholding. Let the teams take the risk if they want.

The argument about them using up all their fuel seems a bit silly when they don't use up their tyres and then just coast.

Zeknurn

http://adamcooperf1.com/2014/06/02/fia-grants-entry-to-romanian-frr-f1-project/

The FIA is understood to have finally granted an entry to the Romanian-backed FRR F1 Team project, although no official announcement has been forthcoming.

While Haas has admitted that a 2015 start is highly unlikely FRR is believed to still be aiming for next year, despite the entry delay making life a lot tougher than it would be had it been granted alongside that of Haas on April 11.

However, FRR has a lot more elements in place compared to Haas. It is planning to use a Renault power unit, while the car will be built and run by a team put together by former Force India and HRT boss Colin Kolles at his base near Munich.

26 cars on the grid is going to be crazy.

Yea but they also wanted to improve fuel efficiency. There was also a safety reason

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/113141

It´d defy the purpose. Whenever someone tries to overtake you with his "boost", you would simply use the same "boost" yourself. And the last twenty laps everyone would have to drive pedestrian and we´d be bored out of our skulls.

Thanks!

But the teams DO NOT want it, that's the point. The teams agreed to that limitation, to save costs on engines.

Haas will defo be 2016, and they are going with FER engines from what it looks like right now.

then why were key personnel from Red Bull, (Newey) Ferrari (de Montezemolo) and Force India (Mallya) complaining about the sound earlier in the season? Surely they knew the result of what they'd "collectively" agreed upon.

Hammer24

Banned
then why were key personnel from Red Bull, (Newey) Ferrari (de Montezemolo) and Force India (Mallya) complaining about the sound earlier in the season? Surely they knew the result of what they'd "collectively" agreed upon.

We know at least since winter testing what the cars sound like. Yet the only "key personnel" I can remember coming out by themselves with criticism were VET (frustrated by the difficult start into the season) and BE (mad that the teams agreed to something without him pulling the strings).
The rest were answers to silly reporter questions.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Haas will defo be 2016, and they are going with FER engines from what it looks like right now.

There are some rumblings that FER offered them very low price for their engine, just to get another team...
I wonder what will Mercedes do to lure another team in 2015 or in 2016.

pants

I don't think the engine would be significantly more in terms of dollars, but I do think that Ferrari can hook the smaller teams with 'technical agreements' where they give them entire drive-trains and advise on shit that isnt an engine.

DBT85

I don't think the engine would be significantly more in terms of dollars, but I do think that Ferrari can hook the smaller teams with 'technical agreements' where they give them entire drive-trains and advise on shit that isnt an engine.

I'm sure Mercedes do the same.

Baffling to me that Haas hasn't gone Mercedes.

Hammer24

Banned
There are some rumblings that FER offered them very low price for their engine, just to get another team...

That's what I heard as well. FER needs more data.

wonder what will Mercedes do to lure another team in 2015 or in 2016.

My understanding is, that MER is not interested in supplying more teams right now. The thinking is, that while getting money for the engines is nice, but they want to offer good service too, and think they wont be able to with more teams.

DBT85

My understanding is, that MER is not interested in supplying more teams right now. The thinking is, that while getting money for the engines is nice, but they want to offer good service too, and think they wont be able to with more teams.

But they are losing McLaren.

Dead Man

But the teams DO NOT want it, that's the point. The teams agreed to that limitation, to save costs on engines.

So they can run at lower revs. But removing the option is stupid. If they want a rev limit, make it a rev limit. Now we have two rev limits. The actual one and the de facto one.

Dead Man

No my friend, I think you underestimate F1 engineers. We have one rev limit, and it will be met in the not too distant future. :)

Maybe, but rev's x displacement = fuel use. If they want to reduce fuel use, then give less fuel during a race. If they want to reduce the cost of engines, introduce a rev limit. But that is enough, having a fuel flow limit is stupid.

Edit: Sorry if that sounded a bit angry, didn't mean to :)

Hammer24

Banned
Maybe, but rev's x displacement = fuel use. If they want to reduce fuel use, then give less fuel during a race. If they want to reduce the cost of engines, introduce a rev limit. But that is enough, having a fuel flow limit is stupid.

Edit: Sorry if that sounded a bit angry, didn't mean to :)

Lets try to see it from a different light:
- fuel limit got greatly reduced
That was before the engines were even in concept stage, and initially no one even knew if and how they´d be able to reach those. No one had built an engine like these before, so no one had real data to check on.
- fuel flow limit
But they had experience with turbo engines. And they knew what toll a turbo takes on an engine. Knowing that in engine development and usage is one of the biggest cost savings available (not just for the manufacturers, but for the small customer teams as well that now have to buy less engines), they introduced the FFL, so the turbo would be held in check, greatly reducing the strain on the engine, thus making them much less likely to break.
- rev limit got greatly reduced
They went from 18000 to 15000, again guessing with no data on the new engines.

Now remember, in the first race of the season the "experts" expected cars to coast home, with teams being in fuel problems. No one even broke 10500 rpm.
Right now we just saw race 6 of 19, and no one really gets into any kind of fuel problem, quite contrary we now see rpm up to 12700. So yeah, I fully expect even this year cars getting to the 15k limit, and if not this season then at least in winter testing to next season.
All I want to say is, lets give the new rules time, until the magicians actually get to them, and lets do a conclusion after the last race. As you surely saw from my posts this year, I´m very excited by the new cars. No more driving on rails, actually seeing different driving styles.

Dilly

Banned
I find the technology of the new engines exciting and actually relevant to what the automotive industry is working towards.

Ask the same people that still are complaining about the noise what they think F1 should be and the answer in most cases probably is 'pioneer in technology' but at the same time they'd want the atmospheric V10/V8 back.

WEC gets so much less shit for this with their LMP1 class, the Audi's are so quiet you can hear them going over rumble strips but they're beautiful, technologically advanced machines. No wonder that formula is quickly gaining interest among manufacturers.

Ark

Yeah, but, the only reason Audi ran the hybrid quattros was because they literally had no competition in 2011. It was one of the best decisions they made for the sport though.

Lets try to see it from a different light:
- fuel limit got greatly reduced
That was before the engines were even in concept stage, and initially no one even knew if and how they´d be able to reach those. No one had built an engine like these before, so no one had real data to check on.
- fuel flow limit
But they had experience with turbo engines. And they knew what toll a turbo takes on an engine. Knowing that in engine development and usage is one of the biggest cost savings available (not just for the manufacturers, but for the small customer teams as well that now have to buy less engines), they introduced the FFL, so the turbo would be held in check, greatly reducing the strain on the engine, thus making them much less likely to break.
- rev limit got greatly reduced
They went from 18000 to 15000, again guessing with no data on the new engines.

Now remember, in the first race of the season the "experts" expected cars to coast home, with teams being in fuel problems. No one even broke 10500 rpm.
Right now we just saw race 6 of 19, and no one really gets into any kind of fuel problem, quite contrary we now see rpm up to 12700. So yeah, I fully expect even this year cars getting to the 15k limit, and if not this season then at least in winter testing to next season.
All I want to say is, lets give the new rules time, until the magicians actually get to them, and lets do a conclusion after the last race. As you surely saw from my posts this year, I´m very excited by the new cars. No more driving on rails, actually seeing different driving styles.
18000? They originally wanted to go with 12000:

The FIA has confirmed that a 15,000rpm rev limit will be imposed on Formula 1 engines from 2014 onwards.

Teams will switch from the current 2.4-litre naturally-aspirated V8s to V6 1.6-litre turbos in 2014. However, there had been concerns that the originally-planned rev limit of 12,000 rpm would detract from the spectacle.

Confirmation of the increase to 15,000, which formed part of the 2014 F1 Technical Regulations released by the FIA yesterday, will go some way toward allaying those fears.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/93204

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Sounds like a pretty stupid decision. So basically they're completely screwed there and Monza.

I stumbled over this two minutes ago...
"In the last four races we've introduced several new upgrades and we will complete the process in Montreal, effectively giving us the first full opportunity to see where we are versus the competition. We have several new parts to debut here, primarily designed to give us greater reliability. As in previous races we have more upgrades to software to further enhance driveability and energy management."
http://www1.skysports.com/f1/news/12475/9336484/renault-say-canada-will-be-the-first-time-they-can-compare-their-pace-to-Mercedes
Who will smoke first? Ferrari engine or Renault? :D

Hammer24

Banned
They will be hitting the limiter in the middle of the first straight.

Wow, that's some high level sand they are blowing into everyone's eyes.
It is true, gear ratios can´t be changed anymore. But that's why we now have 8 instead of 7 gears, and its only important for slow tracks in lower gears like Monaco anyway.
If they are really hitting some kind of limiter on the straights, then it is an self-imposed one, because they can´t get into higher revs yet. And that's either a problem with the turbo, FFL or FL - either way, engine related.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom