• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT| Who Will Win? Nobody Nose

Status
Not open for further replies.
And I want Jesus, Buddha and Muhammed rolled into one nice lady to give me bj´s ;)

Kidding aside, Newey doesn´t want to leave England, Horner is Bernies heir, and VET has a loi with FER. I guess its nice to want things, but lets keep it realistic. :)

Newey wouldn't have to leave England.

He wants to design a road car according to Eddie Jordan... he can make that a reality with McLaren and Honda, he'll be reunited with his main man Prodromou, he'll get a big fat pay rise so he can get his and Sir Ben Ainslie's sail boat project off the ground, then we have Ron Dennis sending Vettel love letters...

Newey and Vettel to McLaren - book it!

Mastah

While I agree that a budget cap would be very desirable... what breakthrough? While they might have distanced themselves a bit from Caterham, they didn't really close the gap to Sauber, so I don't really see much of a breakthrough for them.

A mechanical change that allowed fuller access to the car's aerodynamic potential combined with changes to the front wing endplate and diffuser flap panels formed a package first tried at the Barcelona test held immediately after the Spanish Grand Prix. These changes were described as 'cheap as chips' by the management - and that is always a hugely important consideration for this team that operates on around a quarter of a top team's budget. Confirmation that Marussia was on a productive path with these changes came as Max Chilton - fitted with a set of super-soft tyres with everyone else on harder rubber - headed the times on the first day. It wasn't as though anyone was kidding themselves that this represented reality but as commercial director Graeme Lowdon pointed out: "Whenever we'd done this in the past, it might've moved us up to 9th or 11th. But at Barcelona we knew our deficit was bridgeable with the tyres - and that represents a big jump.

"More realistically, we feel we are now within reaching distance of Sauber just ahead of us and had things gone slightly smoother during qualifying at Monaco we're pretty sure it was a Q2 car there."

http://www1.skysports.com/f1/news/2...onaco-breakthrough-than-a-high-attrition-rate

"I would say we have certainly closed the gap," he said. "I think we made some big steps forward in Barcelona (at the two-day test) - we made some small but important developments all over the car both mechanically and aerodynamically.

"Monaco is quite a unique circuit and I was really quite pleased with the early runs in Practice One on the Thursday because it looked as if we had maintained that speed. But then through a mixture of weather in Practice Two and yellow flags and traffic, we never really showed it so we were a little bit disappointed after qualifying as I thought we had a Q2 car on that circuit. But we just didn't get the rub of the green and the chance to show it.

http://www1.skysports.com/f1/news/1...-will-make-an-enormous-difference-to-marussia

markao

Damn, there goes the tension :p

lewis-nicollu6p.jpg

Is that an old pic, or are Merc being forced to race on unicycles for Canada to make it more competitive?

Old pic - note Lewis' hair (unless he's shaved it in the last 4 days).

It will only take another rough result for things to flare up again, and Lewis has a history of showing thats he's unable to fully contain his true emotions in the heat of the moment, so it's far from settled.

Lewis is awesome.. I grew from hating him to really liking him. I hate how corporaty the drivers have become..

Him, kimi, Alonso, and of course webber are almost the only drivers who say what they feel

Must be because god knows we have never known Lewis to be emotionally charged, make heated comments only to go back on them.

Was the whining about Button unfollowing him on twitter also done by PR?

I don't know he didn't drive for Mercedes back in the days.

But sure, it would be stupid to think that drivers can make public statements without that the team is involved.

Nicktendo86

Old pic - note Lewis' hair (unless he's shaved it in the last 4 days).

It will only take another rough result for things to flare up again, and Lewis has a history of showing thats he's unable to fully contain his true emotions in the heat of the moment, so it's far from settled.
Also missing all of his tattoos.

DBT85

I love that they used to compete to unicycle lol.

Hopefully they've talked, Nico has either admitted to doing it and that he's sorry, or that he swears on their friendship that he didn't, and all are friends again.

I would like to see them fight to the end and still be able to be friends at the end. It's probably asking too much, but their friendship predates being at the top of F1 by a long ass time.

I would like to see them fight to the end and still be able to be friends at the end. It's probably asking too much, but their friendship predates being at the top of F1 by a long ass time.

I expect the tension to remain until the season is all said and done, and that doesn't necessarily have any bearing on their friendship - it's just a by-product of intensely competing at such a high level.

Unless there's some sort of complete clusterfuck later in the season, I expect their friendship to survive.

Hammer24

Banned
Quite. I expect he's acting in direct response to Lauda's efforts to calm the two. By not publicly attempting to clear the air, it would make him appear unhelpful to the team, regardless of what's going on behind closed doors.

..and we have this weekends winner! :)

I expect the tension to remain until the season is all said and done, and that doesn't necessarily have any bearing on their friendship - it's just a by-product of intensely competing at such a high level.

Unless there's some sort of complete clusterfuck later in the season, I expect their friendship to survive.

Exactly. They have been friends for a very long time, but they have never been in such a close competitive situation. They need to sort it out, and that's that.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Need more bloom

Mercedes will bring big upgrade package to Canada - they are also examining engine from Bottas that went astray in Monaco to understand what went wrong.

AcridMeat

Banned
Okay watching the race took a bit longer but I did today, pretty crazy.

Raikkonen was fucked over multiple times, but had his bad braking mistake at the hairpin. Williams was screwed.

I didn't look back, what was the story behind Hamilton's eye?

Happy to see Ricciardo doing so well for Red Bull.

hadareud

The Translator
Berger's engine sounded better.

Joking aside, yes, the 94 V12 Ferrari sounded amazing.

Makes the complaints about the current engines absolutely ridiculous, when you compare what the V8's sounded like compared to that.

hadareud

The Translator
I dont know what you are on about. The V8 compared to V12 sounds different, but just as sweet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zCmidgqbJE

The current engines sounds like my washing machine

To me they don't at all.

And that's the point. My suspicion is that if you ask the people that were around in the early 90's to compare the sound of the cars from then to the V8's of the last few years a good portion of them would tell you that they sound absolutely horrible.

Personally I don't really care what the engines sound like. If they had always sounded like they do now nobody would give a shit. Nobody would tell you that racing is supposed to be loud or sound like this or that.

It's purely a case of the good old days being better. Just like when people tell you how F1 was more competitive in the past and that there was more overtaking etc

pants

To me they don't at all.

And that's the point. My suspicion is that if you ask the people that were around in the early 90's to compare the sound of the cars from then to the V8's of the last few years a good portion of them would tell you that they sound absolutely horrible.

I've been watching since the 80s, and yes there was a mild amount of bitching with every switch over, but it went away 10 minutes into GP1. This time it hasnt, for valid reasons.

Hammer24

Banned
I've been watching since the 80s, and yes there was a mild amount of bitching with every switch over, but it went away 10 minutes into GP1. This time it hasnt, for valid reasons.

I would say there are two key reasons why its different now:
1. Back then F1 pretty much spoke with one voice (concerning theses switches). Now some people drive certain agendas.
2. Its the first big switch in the age of social media, where every pothole becomes the grand canyon.

hadareud

The Translator
I would say there are two key reasons why its different now:
1. Back then F1 pretty much spoke with one voice (concerning theses switches). Now some people drive certain agendas.
2. Its the first big switch in the age of social media, where every pothole becomes the grand canyon.

Agree with you on both counts.

Berger's engine sounded better.

Joking aside, yes, the 94 V12 Ferrari sounded amazing.

Makes the complaints about the current engines absolutely ridiculous, when you compare what the V8's sounded like compared to that.
the V8s sounded magnificent. The early v8s that were revving above 19,000 rpm had such a rich, textured sound, more multilayered than the wail of the screaming v10s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom