• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT| Who Will Win? Nobody Nose

Status
Not open for further replies.
HAM speculated in that direction, that he probably would have been faster on the inter.

That said, given how much Hamilton was making his rear end squirm around it could have just as easily ended up with him in the wall.

Unrelated, Vettel and Magnussen cleared of ignoring yellow flags, and Vettel's issues confirmed as software related due to a faulty sensor.

Razgreez

I'm still surprised Helmut Marko OK'd Ricciardo as Vettel's partner since Ricciardo has proven that he is a properly quick, and quite technical, driver.

Ark

OH BOY. I'M LIKING THIS FORMULA 1 2014 SO FAR.

I'm already used to the engine sounds, hearing the crowd and tyre squeals is awesome. The crowd cheering so loudly when Vettel failed to make it into Q3 says everything we need to know about the last four years.

RICCIARDO. That's the Ricciardo we've been waiting four[?] years for. Incredible stuff. Wouldn't it be spectacular if he beat Vettel this year?

I'm surprised to see Merc & RBR 1.5s quicker than the McLaren even in the wet. Hopefully tomorrow is a dry race and we'll see what the gap really is.

I'm still surprised Helmut Marko OK'd Ricciardo as Vettel's partner since Ricciardo has proven that he is a properly quick, and quite technical, driver.

Ricciardo is another Marko creation... so he's hardly likely to have any problems with him beating his original creation.

Hammer24

Banned
That said, given how much Hamilton was making his rear end squirm around it could have just as easily ended up with him in the wall.

That could also be contributed to the new cars, I´d even go so far as to say he drove the same when the track was dry. :p

Did you just slight WEB? I think you did just slight WEB!

Razgreez

That could also be contributed to the new cars, I´d even go so far as to say he drove the same when the track was dry. :p

Did you just slight WEB? I think you did just slight WEB!

Leave Webber alone, he's finally found peace back in endurance racing

Ricciardo is another Marko creation... so he's hardly likely to have any problems with him beating his original creation.

But you don't want your creations eating out of each others' plates, if you know what I mean

Ark

Vettel and Raikkonen in the middle of a very close mid-field pack. Tomorrow is going to be mighty, mighty interesting.

Not sure if most of you get to see the aus coverage but we get webber commentary and hes actually pretty good to listen too...i bet he had the biggest shit eating grin when vettel bombed out and riccardo got 2nd

The crowd cheering when vettel was knocked out was the icing on the cake

Webber is still nothing but professional

Ce-Lin

Vettel is the best by far and would smash everybody again and again and again. Even if the car is rubbish, Vettel would be WDC easy. He would be WDC in a Lotus or Caterham or even a kart. But so far... he didn't manage q3.

Also Raikkonen is leaps and bounds above and better than Alonso, he is a faster qualif... errr. ok lol.

MrKaepora

RICCIARDO. That's the Ricciardo we've been waiting four[?] years for. Incredible stuff. Wouldn't it be spectacular if he beat Vettel this year?
I hope so.

Lots of understeering on that Mercedes, prove that there are still things to be improved and that there's not one single favourite so far.

the sound of the engines is starting to grow on me.

Juicy Bob

HUL: misunderstanding with pit cost him P4 ("Do I have time for two timed laps?", "You don´t have time for two timed laps" - didn´t hear the "don´t").
Hulk's engineer From the Sky pit lane channel: "Listen to me! You need to push now to get in the box and get the laps, because we should've pitted on the previous one. So get a move on."

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Wow, Red Bull competing with Merc was quite unexpected.

Shaneus

Vettel was linked with the Red Bull Juniors far earlier in his career than Ricciardo was, wasn't he? I thought right up until a year or two before he filled in at HRT, Danny was largely his own man.

I do. I'd want each one to crush the last utterly, proving my utter dominance of the science.

MUHAHAHAHAH.
I'm picturing some weird parallel with Terminator 2 here. Except in this instance, I'm rooting for T-1000.

ElTorro

I wonder if they can work out the power issue with Vettel's car without having to replace anything.

Vettel's car apparently had a defect sensor that messed up the engine. /edit: beaten by yourself

jey_16

Banned
Look at it from this way, even after all the regulation changes, they're basically right there where they were last year. Alonso is on P5 and the second car somewhere further back. It could be worse:

Your right, it's kind of sad but it could have been a lot worse. hopefully Kimi figures out his problems since it would be good to have both cars challenging up front

I wonder if they managed to keep lightening starts though? Could help a lot

I really wouldn't be so quick to write off Vettel. If he hasn't adjusted to the new car by the Spanish GP, then there might be reason for concern, but right now? No way.

malyce

RB isn't "matching" Merc. Merc still hold a 1+ sec. advantage over the rest of the field. Well, at least in quali, we'll see how they look in race trim tomorrow. If they,re easy in their tires it should make for a good start to the season. Don't underestimate Ricky, the kid is fast. Once he gets comfortable with the car expect him to keep vettel on his toes. I still think Vettel will have a harder time than most adjusting to the lower downforce. Some of you underestimate just how good the prevoius RB cars were aerodynamically compared to the rest of the field.

paskowitz

Interesting statement. Hope it isn't true. http://www.worldcarfans.com/114031571812/2014-rules-expose-huge-safety-risk---stewart

Sir Jackie Stewart on Saturday admitted he has a "very, very big" safety concern about F1's revolutionary new era.

"I see a very, very big problem," the F1 legend told German newspaper Die Welt in Melbourne.

Indeed, it is believed the very sort of concern raised by Stewart, F1's safety-pioneering driver of the 70s and a triple world champion, was also raised by experienced current drivers including Jenson Button in the FIA briefing in Australia.

The worry is that the new 100 kilogram per driver race fuel limit could mean some cars are aggressively saving fuel at the very same time as others are still racing flat-out.

"Drivers who are six seconds slower than the fastest cars is a huge safety risk," 74-year-old Stewart said.

"And when you're talking about safety in formula one, it is the question of life and death," the Scot added.

"If I understand the problem, I cannot understand that others seem to have thought so little about it," he said.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Yeah, it was a little disappointing. They really seemed to just drop off in Q3, perhaps the weather completely threw them off :\ Shame about Bottas penalty too.

This is the first time since Brazil 2010 that they got both cars into Q3. And after such abysmal season, they could bring home very decent points tomorrow (more than in whole 2013 season)

DBT85

RB isn't "matching" Merc. Merc still hold a 1+ sec. advantage over the rest of the field. Well, at least in quali, we'll see how they look in race trim tomorrow. If they,re easy in their tires it should make for a good start to the season. Don't underestimate Ricky, the kid is fast. Once he gets comfortable with the car expect him to keep vettel on his toes. I still think Vettel will have a harder time than most adjusting to the lower downforce. Sojme of you underestimate just how good the prevoius RB cars were aerodynamically compared to the rest of the field.

People have been questioning Vettels ability to drive a car with a poor back end for years. It'll be very interesting to see how the world champions on the grid cope this season.

Omiee

tomorrow is promising to be an awesome race. Vettel has to fight from down the grid while a lot of teams will try to just finish the race including rbr.

will be interesting to see what the pace of everybody will be like.

i can totally see mercedes running away with it. and nobody will be complaining. As long as its not vettel dominating its all fine

Staab

This is why I'm amazed that Maldonado's been allowed to race.

You can't honestly tell me that car is race worthy. Isn't that what the 107% rule was brought in for in the first place? To keep cars that are too slow and potentially unsafe out of the race?

Hm ?
Grosjean was within the 107% so why would you assume the same is not true for Maldonado ?

My only fear is the excessive use of the Safety Car, I can guarantee we will see it at least once tomorrow with all the retirements we expect.

Juicy Bob

Hm ?
Grosjean was within the 107% so why would you assume the same is not true for Maldonado ?

My only fear is the excessive use of the Safety Car, I can guarantee we will see it at least once tomorrow with all the retirements we expect.
Because despite getting within 107%, Grosjean spent the entire session complaining of problems.

In fact, they've had nothing but problem after problem all weekend.

This is the first time since Brazil 2010 that they got both cars into Q3. And after such abysmal season, they could bring home very decent points tomorrow (more than in whole 2013 season)

No to mention there could be rather big difference between their performance on dry track compared to wet. Like Lotus had last year. We shall see tomorrow.

mclem

Just finished watching at BBC pace. Go Disco Dan!

(Also wondering at what point I'll be able to afford upgrading my team to incude Kvyat)

Nicktendo86

RB isn't "matching" Merc. Merc still hold a 1+ sec. advantage over the rest of the field. Well, at least in quali, we'll see how they look in race trim tomorrow. If they,re easy in their tires it should make for a good start to the season. Don't underestimate Ricky, the kid is fast. Once he gets comfortable with the car expect him to keep vettel on his toes. I still think Vettel will have a harder time than most adjusting to the lower downforce. Some of you underestimate just how good the prevoius RB cars were aerodynamically compared to the rest of the field.
Yep. Although I am sure Vettel had some probs with engine mapping, you have to remember the Red Bulls had INSANE rear end down force due to the blown diffuser, I reckon my nan could have driven those cars to at least Webber speed. It will be so interesting to see how Vettel copes with a car without those insane rear end grip levels, and judging by his little hand gesture in the car when he dropped out of Q2 not very well!

Really enjoyed qualifying, it's set up the season in great fashion. Not at all surprised to see a Red Bull on the front row though, or even that it's Ricciardo given the rumours about his true pace last year.

Very surprised to see a Caterham as high up as 15th though, especially in front of both Marussias. Is that their best qualifying result so far? Either way, surprising that the BBC didn't make a bigger fuss of it.

Prediction for the race: utter chaos.

BBC coverage good as ever, with Allan McNish as a great addition to the team.

It was alright for a highlights show, although I really don't think they didn't a particularly good job of explaining some of the new factors of the new rules this year. I also could have done without the shots over McNish's shoulder of his tablet.

Yagami_Sama

The sound of the engines was weird to listen at first, but later became cool.

Magnussen did a great job I hope that he finish the race in top 3. I really want to understand why Button did not try another lap.
And it was pretty cool what happen with Vettel. XD

ElTorro

Somehow I'd hoped for Red Bull to perform worse than they did. Sure, Vettel didn't reach Q3, but the car itself seems to be pretty great once again given that it has to run with the Renault engine. Vettel seems to need an entire good season in a lackluster car to shake of the hate he his getting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom