• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT| Who Will Win? Nobody Nose

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaneus

Holy shit, that Massa/Perez incident went by so fucking quickly, in a fraction of a second. Vettel had god-tier reaction time to avoid that accident. Definitely looks like Perez veered slightly to the left before the collision.

But fuck, what a stellar race from Danny Ricky. Such a great finish, especially for keeping composure behind Perez, then that great job overtaking him to free him up for the run to Rosberg.

Hard to say who had the drive of the day. Rosberg obviously did amazingly well to hold on for that long, but I can't go past our boy Danny. It's a stupid thing to say, but great to see Vettel so happy for him as well at the end. Obviously he would be, but I'm not used to seeing him happy for another driver ever ;) Should be happy with the job he did as well. Unfortunately didn't pan out for him, but third is still a good showing and two podiums is great for RBR.
ioAI4uKd95mSj.gif

Edit: And the crowd cheering him during the race and on the podium... glorious!

Zeppu

Yeah I thoroughly enjoyed Vettel's display of joy towards Danny when they got out of the car. He seemed genuinely happy for him, even up there on the podium.

It's not completely out of character either. I remember back when McLaren were still relevant he used to also be happy and congratulatory towards Button when he beat him. I guess at the end of the day it's a completely normal reaction. If you're on good terms with someone and that someone gets a good result, you'd be happy for them even if they have beaten you. If you're not friendly towards the winner then you're going to be all pissed off and mad.

kharma45

Holy shit, that Massa/Perez incident went by so fucking quickly, in a fraction of a second. Vettel had god-tier reaction time to avoid that accident. Definitely looks like Perez veered slightly to the left before the collision.

But fuck, what a stellar race from Danny Ricky. Such a great finish, especially for keeping composure behind Perez, then that great job overtaking him to free him up for the run to Rosberg.

Hard to say who had the drive of the day. Rosberg obviously did amazingly well to hold on for that long, but I can't go past our boy Danny. It's a stupid thing to say, but great to see Vettel so happy for him as well at the end. Obviously he would be, but I'm not used to seeing him happy for another driver ever ;) Should be happy with the job he did as well. Unfortunately didn't pan out for him, but third is still a good showing and two podiums is great for RBR.
ioAI4uKd95mSj.gif

I've really enjoyed hearing the crowds this year. Adds a certain something to the races.

ioAI4uKd95mSj.gif

OneHD are repeating the race for the second night in row. This will probably be the 3rd time I see the race!

Shaneus

This poll was in his official website:

perez_enquete1_blog.jpg

It's no longer there. LMAO
Ahahahaha. If you watch the replays, you can see him veer slightly to the left immediately before the collision. I'm siding firmly with Team Martini on this one.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
So, one of the shortest tracks (4.326 km) on the calendar is next - Austria.

Track is rising from the start up to the first corner (Castrol Edge) and up the long straight to sharp right-hander Remus. After that there is still some ascending, but track turns downhill into series of corners (Schlossgold, Rauch and Lauda...eeem Wurth). Track level on the short straight, but descends into Rindt corner back to the start/finish straight.

Onboard with DTM car on renovated track
Lap record: Schumacher from 2003, 1:08.337

512px-Circuit_Red_Bull_Ring.svg.png

The most legendary event on this track
2002_Austrian_GP.jpg

(Rubens letting Schumacher win in 2002 after pit wall order)

kiyomi

The only real memory I have of the A1 Ring is playing that track for hours and hours on F1 World Grand Prix on the N64. You could get lap times of like 58 seconds, it was great. Happy memories.

DBT85

Nice track!

Too bad Mercedes will dominate like Canada.. oh wait! :)

They had a technical failure and nearly won the race with no ERS system.

They nearly won the race with NO ERS SYSTEM.

Less braking power, less acceleration, less top speed, and they still nearly won.

If anything the other teams should be more worried than they were before.

Well, the difference is that the teams are in charge of designing a car with good aerodynamics.
There is nothing a team can do if the power unit is shit.

It's closer to the time when Michelin provided much better tires than Bridgestone.

They had a technical failure and nearly won the race with no ERS system.

They nearly won the race with NO ERS SYSTEM.

Less braking power, less acceleration, less top speed, and they still nearly won.

If anything the other teams should be more worried than they were before.

:(

Kimi will win this one..

kiyomi

There is nothing a team can do if the power unit is shit.

If they're unhappy with it, they should change their engine supplier. They've been moaning about how they're underpowered compared to Mercedes for like 5 years now. Surely part of designing a good car is picking an engine that suits your needs - if they wanted more power, they should've reconsidered their Renault choice, but they haven't, presumably because the Renault engine offers them an advantage somewhere else, be it cost, be it integration into their aero package, be it power delivery. Make a choice and get on with it.

ramparter

Banned
You could rewrite that article and replace the words engine power with aero differences and it would apply to all teams bar RBR like the last 4 years.
Aero upgrades weren't frozen... Did you actually read the article or just assumed he whines about Renault engine being weaker?

Fox Mulder

Newey has a moan about the engine power differences again.
Getting very tiresome from RBR at this stage.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/114405

You could rewrite that article and replace the words engine power with aero differences and it would apply to all teams bar RBR like the last 4 years.

a team can bust their ass to make better aero, they're stuck with a shit engine all year though. I imagine Mercedes will never sell them an engine either.

Damn, just realize that Kimi does have less points than Massa last year - total and relative to Alonso.

It's a pretty bad year for him.

Well to be fair he has had huge amount of technical problems compared to Alonso and also some bad luck in races. In Monaco he could have been on podium before he got hit by Chilton and got puncture.

Ark

Newey has a moan about the engine power differences again.
Getting very tiresome from RBR at this stage.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/114405

Tbh I think it's fair play. Unlike aero for the other teams, the power unit is completely out of RBR's hands and they know full well that if they were even close to being on even terms with the Mercedes that they'd be right in there for the title fight.

DBT85

Tbh I think it's fair play. Unlike aero for the other teams, the power unit is completely out of RBR's hands and they know full well that if they were even close to being on even terms with the Mercedes that they'd be right in there for the title fight.

I could be wrong, but I think they chose to have Renault engines.

Dilly

Banned
Considering how Renault helped them get 4 WC's with special mappings designer for the blown diffuser, they really should stop whining. And really don't mention one team dominating.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Horner jokingly told BBC that they were working overnight to add hard corners every 500 meters.

But yeah, there will be no home win for Red Bull this year.

Sochi will be their track :p

also long term weather forecast for Spielberg shows quite clear weather with temperatures around 24 degrees Celsius.

Ark

I could be wrong, but I think they chose to have Renault engines.

And that changes what exactly? Renault are the big disappointment of the season. They pushed everything they had for these power units and theirs is by far and away the worst of the three. Red Bull have no control over their power unit, that's all Renault. Lets not forget that it's not just RBR that's being screwed with the weaker Renault PU.

kiyomi

And that changes what exactly? Renault are the big disappointment of the season. They pushed everything they had for these power units and theirs is by far and away the worst of the three. Red Bull have no control over their power unit, that's all Renault. Lets not forget that it's not just RBR that's being screwed with the weaker Renault PU.

The Renault engine was underpowered in the V8 days as well. Red Bull chose to stick with the Renault engine even though they've had a track record of producing underpowered engines. They've been whining about it for years, and yet it didn't stop them winning 4 drivers and constructor's championships in a row.

bkfount said:
a team can bust their ass to make better aero, they're stuck with a shit engine all year though.

The last 4 years of one team dominating doesn't really prove that's the case, though. There haven't been many teams that have "busted their ass to make better aero" and had their fortunes magically transformed. Perhaps the McLaren in 2009 went from dogshit to a race winner. Other than that? I'm struggling.

Red Bull have had an aero advantage for several years now because of their clever and aggressive designs which couldn't be replicated; now they're moaning because their engine manufacturer can't replicate the best in class, Mercedes. Like I said before, it's Red Bull's choice. The Renault engine has some kind of benefit to them, whether it's the packaging or the relationship between the two companies or whatever. If they wanted a more powerful engine, the track record has indicated for quite a few years now that the Mercedes is the engine to have.

Dead Man

The Renault engine was underpowered in the V8 days as well. Red Bull chose to stick with the Renault engine even though they've had a track record of producing underpowered engines. They've been whining about it for years, and yet it didn't stop them winning 4 drivers and constructor's championships in a row.

The last 4 years of one team dominating doesn't really prove that's the case, though. There haven't been many teams that have "busted their ass to make better aero" and had their fortunes magically transformed. Perhaps the McLaren in 2009 went from dogshit to a race winner. Other than that? I'm struggling.

Red Bull have had an aero advantage for several years now because of their clever and aggressive designs which couldn't be replicated; now they're moaning because their engine manufacturer can't replicate the best in class, Mercedes. Like I said before, it's Red Bull's choice. The Renault engine has some kind of benefit to them, whether it's the packaging or the relationship between the two companies or whatever. If they wanted a more powerful engine, the track record has indicated for quite a few years now that the Mercedes is the engine to have.

There is nothing stopping the teams updating their aero during the year though, that is the major difference.

kiyomi

There is nothing stopping the teams updating their aero during the year though, that is the major difference.

Of course, but these power unit homologation rules were on the cards and have been for a long time. It's not like they were suddenly sprung on Renault and RBR. They agreed to these rules, right? Newey should have been arguing his team's case long before any of this was set in stone instead of turning around halfway through the season and saying the rules are going to create a large advantage for one manufacturer in a few years.

Renault have the next 18 months or whatever to regain some of the ground they've lost. All is not lost on them.

Dead Man

Of course, but these power unit homologation rules were on the cards and have been for a long time. It's not like they were suddenly sprung on Renault and RBR. They agreed to these rules, right? Newey should have been arguing his team's case long before any of this was set in stone instead of turning around halfway through the season and saying the rules are going to create a large advantage for one team in a few years.

Renault have the next 18 months or whatever to regain some of the ground they've lost. All is not lost on them.

And behind closed doors they may have been lobbying to change the rules. Doesn't matter. The situations are only loosely analogous. One is something that can control, the other is something they cannot control until their contract with Ren expires, and that assumes they can find another manufacturer willing to supply them.

DBT85

They complained about a lack of power with the V8s, constantly. Despite that they chose to go with Renault for this season with an entirely new engine, despite there being nothing to suggest Renalut might produce a better package than Ferrari or Mercedes. They could also have persuaded a new engine manufacturer in with all the money they can spend but they stuck with Renault.

They all knew what the rules were, they all knew when the season started. And I'm fairly sure they wouldn't have been complaining about it as much if they were looking to repeat the last 4 years.

Engine rules have been like this since 2007 to keep costs down, as brining new engine parts every other week is expensive. You build new engine, you can update it for reliability.

At the end of this season all of the manufacturers can walk away, redesign the engine and come back next year with a better package. They can do it the year after that too. And the year after. As each year progreses, they are only allowed to upgrade a smaller number of parts than the year before.

From Mr Renault himself on September 16th 2013
http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2013/09/16/fia-to-guard-against-extreme-engines-in-2014/

Renault Sport F1 deputy managing director (technical) Bob White said: “A multi-year specification freeze is not really where we think the balance should be.”

“But equally, it shouldn’t be a development free-for-all that would make the necessary investment unaffordable. We’re heading towards year-on-year tightening restrictions and we think that’s a prudent and responsible approach

The FIA’s plan for freezing development of the engines calls for 8% of power unit components by weight to be frozen in development by 2015. That will rise to 23% in 2016, 35% in 2018 and 95% the year after that.

“The aim of the new regulations is to keep F1 at the pinnacle of motor sport,” added Lom, “but to do so mindful of the era in a which we operate.”

Dead Man

They complained about a lack of power with the V8s, constantly. Despite that they chose to go with Renault for this season with an entirely new engine, despite there being nothing to suggest Renalut might produce a better package than Ferrari or Mercedes. They could also have persuaded a new engine manufacturer in with all the money they can spend but they stuck with Renault.

They all knew what the rules were, they all knew when the season started. And I'm fairly sure they wouldn't have been complaining about it as much if they were looking to repeat the last 4 years.

Engine rules have been like this since 2007 to keep costs down, as brining new engine parts every other week is expensive. You build new engine, you can update it for reliability.

At the end of this season all of the manufacturers can walk away, redesign the engine and come back next year with a better package. They can do it the year after that too. And the year after. As each year progreses, they are only allowed to upgrade a smaller number of parts than the year before.

From Mr Renault himself on September 16th 2013
http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2013/09/16/fia-to-guard-against-extreme-engines-in-2014/
And again, of course they knew the rules, doesn't mean it wouldn't piss you off to have no control over one of the major components of your car. Everyone knows the rules, why do you guys think this is some sort of argument that engines and aero are the same?

kiyomi

And again, of course they knew the rules, doesn't mean it wouldn't piss you off to have no control over one of the major components of your car. Everyone knows the rules, why do you guys think this is some sort of argument that engines and aero are the same?

Because both parts together are what creates the car?

The ECU is a standardised affair these days. Why isn't anyone moaning about how they can't develop their own ECU? Oh. Right.

DBT85

I've not said a word about aero.

They had no control over the engine last year either, or the year before. They only have a major issue and feel that its really going to damage the sport when they aren't winning nearly every race. At the start of next year, Renault and Mercedes and Ferrari can all arrive with a 92% different engine to the one they use today.

Dead Man

Because both parts together are what creates the car?

The ECU is a standardised affair these days. Why isn't anyone moaning about how they can't develop their own ECU? Oh. Right.

Do you not see the difference? The ECU is the same for everyone.

I've not said a word about aero.

They had no control over the engine last year either, or the year before. They only have a major issue and feel that its really going to damage the sport when they aren't winning nearly every race. At the start of next year, Renault and Mercedes and Ferrari can all arrive with a 92% different engine to the one they use today.

No, they have bitched in previous years about the Renault engine. And if the one thing holding you back is something you have no control over, it is normal to bitch about it.

I hate RBR as much as any of you, but the engine rules are stupid and are no different to the multiple tyre suppliers of previous years. If the engine suppliers could iterate their engines or redesign them it wouldn't be that big a deal, but as it is, teams are dependant for success on something they have no control over. Same as the tyres everyone bitched about a few years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom