• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT| Who Will Win? Nobody Nose

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris R

No drive through for Nico was fucking bullshit, not that it matters since Lewis blew up.

Oh well, awesome racing from everyone else (outside of the shit on the final lap). Nice win for Ricciardo!!!

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
OMvRSwq.png

Vettel is thoroughly screwed.

Mobius 1

I know Massa has no fans here, but this wasn't his fault. On the other hand, it seems like a genuine mistake by Perez since they were all barreling down that turn very fast.

Glad both are ok, gutted for the teams. Williams would have benefitted enormously from that finish.

cmr-94

the problem is everyone feels the need to lay the blame. massa wasnt at fault. i get the feeling perez was taking his normal line into the corner. despite how severe it was i dont think people should be worried to call it a racing incident. at least in my opinion

Yagami_Sama

David Croft @CroftyF1

Five place grid penalty for Sergio Perez in Austria for causing the accident at the end of today's race with Felipe Massa, just announced.

This is so unfair.

For me, Massa overdid. He force his way through. But they should let this go, and treat this incident like a "Race thing". And in the other
hand, Rosberg just took a warn.

DD

Lol, Perez laughed on Massa's face and walked away at the hospital. Fuck this guy. And I used to like that prick...

malyce

the problem is everyone feels the need to lay the blame. massa wasnt at fault. i get the feeling perez was taking his normal line into the corner. despite how severe it was i dont think people should be worried to call it a racing incident. at least in my opinion

No! A normal line into that corner would put him in line with Vettel. He made a defensive maneuver when he realized that Massa was going for the pass. Only thing is, Massa had already started to make that move, so it was too late. Was it a aggressive? Yes, at the speed they were going and how late Massa decided to commit to that pass, someone would have ended up in the grass. Also, If Perez wanted to defend he should have moved over a bit earlier. The blame is 50/50.

the gloves have to come off now for Lewis. No quarter given these next four or five races. Ignore team orders if need be. Rosberg's been gifted a 25 point margin in Australia and another 18 point margin in Canada from Lewis' DNFs. Ruthlessness and a lack of compromise should be the order of day for Lewis from now on

hamchan

the gloves have to come off now for Lewis. No quarter given these next four or five races. Ignore team orders if need be. Rosberg's been gifted a 25 point margin in Australia and another 18 point margin in Canada from Lewis' DNFs. Ruthlessness and a lack of compromise should be the order of day for Lewis from now on

The gloves came off a long time ago. I don't think he's ever been taking it easy on Rosberg and I don't think either of them would listen to team orders if it meant losing the race.

Draconian

Sometimes I feel like the stewards are living in some fantasy world where accidents are unheard of and when they happen, somebody has to be blamed. Two drivers were fighting hard at the end of the race and crashed. It's going to happen sometimes, but by all means, let's penalize somebody to send a message as if that's going to stop people from driving aggressively in the last laps of a Grand Prix. Meanwhile, two drivers got away with blatantly cutting through chicanes. One of them (whoever it was Raikkonen was trying to overtake) got away without an investigation, and Rosberg got away without any penalty. I really don't understand their decision making.

What a fantastic race. A defining race for so many drivers. RIC first win and a likely not the last. MAS showing that his edge is truly gone. It has been a constant back and forth since his horrific accident, but this is final nail in his F1 coffin. He just doesn't have that biting edge he had prior to his crash. ROS, wow, I did not expect him to be able to nurse that car to 2nd place. Given, PER did him a huge favor by holding up RIC for that many laps, but based on how quickly HAM burned through his injured car, 2nd show another side to ROS' talents.

God damn, I can't believe I wasn't there this year. Such a fantastic race. What a fucking farce that Abu Dhabi gets to be part of the season conclusion and not a consistently awesome track like Montreal.

pants

I don't think Perez was at fault for the accident, Massa was coming barreling through like an idiot. I also don't think either should get penalized.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Toto Wolff on MGU-K failure
- MGU-K stopped working on both cars on the same time with unusual temperature peak that prevented reset of it.
- due to that, harvesting energy was not possible and it started to overheat the rear brakes
- they suspect that Lewis killed his brakes on his second pit stop (brake temperature goes up when car is stationary)

Lewis Hamilton's system shut down at the Turn 10 hairpin on lap 36, while just a few corners later, as Nico Rosberg went through Turn 1 on lap 37, the German's car hit trouble too.
"Guys, what does this button do.... oh crap. Hey John, can you try the same for other car? I wonder what will happen"

John_B

Rosberg gained enough from cutting the chicane to set fastest lap of the race? Considering that he drove a defensive line on the straight, it's pretty clear he gained massively from cutting the chicane. How is that not exactly what the rule says?

Either way, it's perhaps for the best that Rosberg is gifted some point leverage. The pace advantage that Hamilton has is pretty telling.

pants

Because sensibility dictates you only enforce it when it is done habitually and/or to gain/defend a position that is immediately at risk.

If a guy cuts a chicane and no one else is around, in the grand scheme of things it's mostly harmless unless he makes a habit of it.

John_B

Sure, and how did Rosberg not get a penalty then? Hamilton was right behind him, Rosberg goes off the track and was going to loose the position, but he used the run-off area to cut part of the circuit to remain in front.

The run-off area should be better configured so drivers can't plow through it.

Aaron

He should have been penalized since he gained lap time over it, but I don't think it would have changed the race any.

acm2000

Perez had brake problems, so Williams should have warned Massa to expect him to brake earlier than usual. Also, he didn't exactly move to the left out of nowhere - to me it looked more like he was simply drifting in towards the apex of the corner, as you would expect. The difference in speed between his and Massa's cars at that point makes it look more pronounced than it might otherwise, but I don't think it was a sudden movement.

umm, perez WAS on the racing line, turned left off it straight into massa

The penalty on Perez is extremely harsh. It seems like the stewards feel blame has to be apportioned for every incident, even when no one driver is obviously at fault. Shame, because he had driven at excellent race.

Sure, and how did Rosberg not get a penalty then? Hamilton was right behind him, Rosberg goes off the track and was going to loose the position, but he used the run-off area to cut part of the circuit to remain in front.

The run-off area should be better configured so drivers can't plow through it.

While I do agree, the current safety regulations would make it impossible to break up that run-off area because it is meant to be exactly that, an area for cars who aren't, for one reason for another, capable of making the chicane. Granted, it is intended for cars who have been involved in an accident or have suffered some sort of failure, but it is sod's law that the first year you break it up someone will have a major crash there.

You could make an argument that the drivers cope with a similar degree of danger in other sections of the same circuit, and at Monaco, Australia, etc, but the powers at be are not going to willingly make any corner more dangerous.

umm, perez WAS on the racing line, turned left off it straight into massa

He was in the position on the track you'd set yourself up in before drifting inwards towards the apex of the corner, which is what he was starting to do. He was already decelerating when Massa arrived, much faster, behind him, which may give the impression that he turned into him, but that really wasn't the case.

The stewards have access to more information than we do, and obviously have some justification for their decision to penalise Perez, but to the naked eye, I saw nothing to suggest that Perez intentionally turned into Massa.

Ark

If you watch the accident again it's clear as day that Perez hit the brakes much sooner than a healthy F1 car should, coupled with him moving to the left is a sure-fire penalty.

If you watch the accident again it's clear as day that Perez hit the brakes much sooner than a healthy F1 car should, coupled with him moving to the left is a sure-fire penalty.

But he didn't have a healthy car - he was struggling with brake problems for the last few laps of the race. Considering that, Massa could/should have given him a much wider berth going into the first corner. He could have taken a much tighter line into the corner and still got a pass done. It was a very clumsy attempt at an overtake.

John_B

Hamilton wasn't trying to take the position at that point.
It's not relevant, he was close enough to gain a position through Rosberg going off the track. Rosberg plowed through the run-off area not to loose the position.

The rules needs to be clarified if there can be so much disagreement over "gaining advantage off the track".

Ark

But he didn't have a healthy car - he was struggling with brake problems for the last few laps of the race. Considering that, Massa could/should have given him a much wider berth going into the first corner. He could have taken a much tighter line into the corner and still got a pass done. It was a very clumsy attempt at an overtake.

Perez should have taken a wider, safer line through turn one. Massa can't be expected to accommodate for a rivals problem, especially when he doesn't know how severe it is.

Massa didnt need to be that close to Perez if he just wanted to shoot up the inside. Perez's brakes were shot at this point, Massa needs to act like the experienced driver he supposedly is and adapt to this. There is blame to give to both drivers here, but in each case it is minor and should be written off as a racing incident.

I'd have agreed if Perez' brakes weren't shot and the impact wasn't 27G.

I love how we always think we're better than the stewards. Never get tired of this.

pants

It's not relevant, he was close enough to gain a position through Rosberg going off the track. Rosberg plowed through the run-off area not to loose the position.

The rules needs to be clarified if there can be so much disagreement over "gaining advantage off the track".

'lose'

And yes, yes it is relevant. A guy 10 seconds behind can lay claim to the same circumstance. "well if the guy in front just span like he was supposed to, instead of using the run-off, I would be ahead!". Be sensible.

I do however agree it needs clarification, as it's not applied to the letter of the law, but 'sensibly'

Perez should have taken a wider, safer line through turn one. Massa can't be expected to accommodate for a rivals problem, especially when he doesn't know how severe it is.

He was taking a wide line, but he has to come in towards the corner at some point, which was what he was starting to do at the point they made contact. I can see what Massa was trying to do - keep Perez boxed in at the turn-in point so he couldn't make a move around the outside to get himself on the inside for turn two - but he had no need to try and be so precise and could have got the pass done on a much tighter line.

John_B

'lose'

And yes, yes it is relevant. A guy 10 seconds behind can lay claim to the same circumstance. "well if the guy in front just span like he was supposed to, instead of using the run-off, I would be ahead!". Be sensible.

I do however agree it needs clarification, as it's not applied to the letter of the law, but 'sensibly'
Not a very sensible example you are giving. Either way, the only good solution is to configure the run-off areas so drivers are forced to slow down, but still provide a great deal of safety. The position would have been lost on a track like Monza no matter how fast Rosberg would have tried to get back on the track.

ramparter

Banned

Exactly my point of view. I was quick to blame Massa but I admit I was 100% wrong.

Ark

I don't see what point you're trying to make here, the rules should only be applied when the action had serious consequences?

No, but they shouldn't be exclusive of each other. Same reason I thought Grojean's race ban at Spa was justified despite the actual mistake being relatively minor.

He was taking a wide line, but he has to come in towards the corner at some point, which was what he was starting to do at the point they made contact. I can see what Massa was trying to do - keep Perez boxed in at the turn-in point so he couldn't make a move around the outside to get himself on the inside for turn two - but he had no need to try and be so precise and could have got the pass done on a much tighter line.

I really can't see how you could think Massa is at fault here. But I'm clearly not going to convince you otherwise.

Juicy Bob

I really can't see how you could think Massa is at fault here. But I'm clearly not going to convince you otherwise.
Not that it matters at this stage, but I still maintain that Massa and Perez both moved into each other. At least if you watch the overhead, it's clear that Massa moves slightly right just before the contact.

But anyway, we're splitting hairs here. I just feel like penalties should be handed out when a driver makes a clear fault and to give Perez a penalty suggests that he was purely at fault for the accident. From looking at Perez's onboard, I don't really think he did anything major at all.

I am prepared to accept that the stewards have all the information and know a lot more than me about it, but I do wish that they'd publish explanations for their decisions because I'd be a lot less inclined to argue against the stewards if they provided the rationale behind their decisions.

hadareud

The Translator
9 out of 10 times it's the fault of the driver behind.

If you're too close to not be able to react to a potential mistake (especially when you already know that that someone is struggling with is car), then it's your fault.

The penalty to Perez suggests that he did something really out of the ordinary and though I could not see it in any of the footage, I guess they must know something we don't.

So it may well be the 1 out of 10 times where it's the fault of the guy in front, but it's hardly surprising that everyone's first reaction was that it was Massa's fuck-up. Especially since Massa is prone to a good fuck-up.

By the way, good luck arguing that the driver in front of you is at fault when you drive into the back of them on the road.

operon

So easy to tell the ones with agendas and axes to grind in here. If Perez's brakes were shot to bits what the fuck was he doing on the race track. He should have retired on safety grounds.

amar212

Since it is hard to focus on both cars at once, watch one car at a time. If you focus on Massa it looks like he turns into Perez. If you focus on Perez, it looks like he turns into Massa. It is possible they both turned into each other.

I agree with you, yes.

Both should have been given a penalty, or none.

I would prefer none, it was a full-speed racing accident without consequences. It happens.

Dilly

Banned
No idea why that sausage curb wasn't extended to the end of the run-off area at the chicane Rosberg cut.

Then there wouldn't have been a discussion.

pants

So easy to tell the ones with agendas and axes to grind in here. If Perez's brakes were shot to bits what the fuck was he doing on the race track. He should have retired on safety grounds.

Just like Rosberg should have right?

operon

Just like Rosberg should have right?

If his brakes were as bad yes, though Nico looked like he could slow down and he didn't cause any accidents. Nico should have had a penalty cutting the chicane. Glad Ricardo won great to see a new winner.

Addnan

Didn't the Force India guy say there wasn't anything major wrong with Perez's brakes. They just had to hit a reset switch and then it was fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom