• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT| Who Will Win? Nobody Nose

Status
Not open for further replies.
That doesn't explain how a 22pts lead for Rosberg turns suddenly into 30pts lead for Hamilton - 52pts total.

It would be only possible if Hamilton wins both races and Rosberg would suffer at least one DNF.

I dont know about a 30 point lead, I'm just saying, even the most diehard Rosberg fan has to concede Lewis has given up 30 points at minimum because of those two technical failures.
I'd prefer Lewis beat our charming German prince on the track fair and square, but maybe it's time for such hard luck to fall in Rosberg's lap. I would feel no shame in feeling a bit of satisfaction if he got the same kind of mechanical failures Lewis has had.

hadareud

The Translator
Without any technical issues Hamilton would have a minimum of 43 points more (or 50 depending on the outcome in Canada) and Rosberg would have the same number of points (or 7 fewer).

So Hamilton would be ahead by either 21 or 35 points now, had neither of them suffered any defects at all and give and take a few had they both finished with the problem they had in Canada.

However, the season is long and technical issues happen, so it could still even out. Or just as likely, get worse for Hamilton.

Goldrusher

Fun facts:

First Williams pole since 2012 (Catalunya).
First Massa pole since 2008 (Brazil).
First Williams front row since 2003 (Hockenheim).

RoKKeR

Fun facts:

First Williams pole since 2012 (Catalunya).
First Massa pole since 2008 (Brazil).
First Williams front row since 2003 (Hockenheim).

Love it. They have probably the next best car in the field, glad to see they are coming into their own mid-way through the season.

Really hoping they can hold on to some high positions tomorrow and can get some quality points. I don't expect a win but I would be extremely disappointed if they didn't podium.

amar212

I find it amazing to finally watch a race on track that is not "modern" F1 track.

Personally, I think majority of fails - Hamilton included - has to do with basically old-school configuration, with steep elevations and need to brake while having lateral forces eating the grip and need to turn on high kerbs.

I simply think 90% of drivers have problem with the track as it is, because although it is fairly sinple by visual layout, it is extremely demanding to run consecutive fast laps and not making a mistake.

I am so looking forward to the race because of that.

FuturusX

If Massa wins tomorrow I'll be fucking ecstatic.

Calling Hamilton to retire from the race as well.

Like Senna he's never really happy settling for safe points. From this position Prost or Lauda would conservatively bank as much as they can, they would have used cool heads and let the positions come to them, but not Lewis it's win or nothing for the most part. All in or nothing - Good news is we are probably safe for turn 1 given how far back he is.

dubc35

Just finished watching qualy, WIL! Holy Shit! Queue Massa gifs! ....yeah I know, too late. Still, GP looks epic tomorrow. I won't be able to watch until late though. :(

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Reminder: 71 laps today :p

itssomething.gif ;-)

At least your commentators comment the race, technical stuff and not every gossip story from this and previous seasons. No wonder that I switch to ORF, even with my weak knowledge of German, it is still MUCH better than our beloved Miran Ališič (sunbathing in the background)

His rants about political situation and how government is not supporting motorsport is like listening broken record (motorsport went extinct in Slovenia after WW2). The best are his rants about lack of racetracks here. Mix this with commercial breaks on 10-15 minutes, gossip stories on celebrities or driver's wives/mistresses/moms/dads/dogs... :p

John_B

It will be interesting to see a Mercedes starting from 9th. I'm not sure Rosberg is going to swiftly cruise past both Williams, so he could be stuck there for a while.

They should pit Hamilton, if not both Mercedes drivers, super early for clear air.

Reminder: 71 laps today :p

At least your commentators comment the race, technical stuff and not every gossip story from this and previous seasons. No wonder that I switch to ORF, even with my weak knowledge of German, it is still MUCH better than our beloved Miran Ališič (sunbathing in the background)

His rants about political situation and how government is not supporting motorsport is like listening broken record (motorsport went extinct in Slovenia after WW2). The best are his rants about lack of racetracks here. Mix this with commercial breaks on 10-15 minutes, gossip stories on celebrities or driver's wives/mistresses/moms/dads/dogs... :p

Well I guess I never thought about it like that. Really sounds like you are way worse off than me. Btw. F1 broadcast starts at 11:35 with the history of the track and at 12:40 ORF should show the legends race if you are interested.

olore

I`ve written this before but sometimes I feel it would be to his favour if he didn`t go 100% balls-out everytime he is behind the wheel. I`m thinking of Lewis. It will be interesting to see how Mercedes and the rest will manage in the race.

Does anyone have a dependable live stream to share? At our summer retreat atm and there isn`t any F1 coverage on the few channels we have here... Sorry if this is against the TOS or something

EDIT: Found one

Addnan

According to the Marussia guy on Ted's notebook standing restarts will be used at the discretion of the race director for when it makes sense. It's not mandatory apparently. When will it make sense?

NHale

According to the Marussia guy on Ted's notebook standing restarts will be used at the discretion of the race director for when it makes sense. It's not mandatory apparently. When will it make sense?

Are they serious? F1 really wants to be a circus and being on the news for the right and especially for the wrong reasons.

Can you imagine a race where they restart the race after a SC and Driver X overtakes Driver Y on the restart. Next race Driver Y behind Driver X, no restart after SC after a similar incident. I can feel the drama already.

10 years ago I would know this was only a silly idea being thrown around. After the double points idea went ahead, I don't trust F1 and FIA anymore. They are really transforming F1 into a joke. Watching LeMans last weekend compared to a F1 race really showed the difference of philosophies. One felt real and racing to the limits, the other feels artificial where drivers are becoming more managers than racers. At least this weekend at the A1 Ring reminds me of the glorious years of F1, standings packed with people, gravel, climbs, natural overtaking points. But hey let's go racing in the middle of the ocean sponsored by Saudi Arabia Bernie's corruption fund.

Hasney

Yeah, the standing start now makes even less sense to me than when we thought it was after every safety car. What type of incident would require a safety car followed by a grid start rather than a red flag?

Juicy Bob

Are they serious? F1 really wants to be a circus and being on the news for the right and especially for the wrong reasons.

Can you imagine a race where they restart the race after a SC and Driver X overtakes Driver Y on the restart. Next race Driver Y behind Driver X, no restart after SC after a similar incident. I can feel the drama already.

10 years ago I would know this was only a silly idea being thrown around. After the double points idea went ahead, I don't trust F1 and FIA anymore. They are really transforming F1 into a joke. Watching LeMans last weekend compared to a F1 race really showed the difference of philosophies. One felt real and racing to the limits, the other feels artificial where drivers are becoming more managers than racers. At least this weekend at the A1 Ring reminds me of the glorious years of F1, standings packed with people, gravel, climbs, natural overtaking points. But hey let's go racing in the middle of the ocean sponsored by Saudi Arabia Bernie's corruption fund.
While I agree that the FIA is losing track of what Formula 1 should be, I really disagree with this common consensus that WEC endurance driving is any more 'on the limit' than F1.

No matter what the otherwise awesome Radio Le Mans guys and other endurance racing enthusiasts like to try and convince us, there is just as much 'conservation' driving in the WEC and the Le Mans 24 Hours as in F1, if not more. It was clear from watching the onboard footage last weekend how much lifting and coasting the LMP1 teams were doing throughout the race, for example.

Not that it makes endurance racing any less awesome, though. It's just a part of the sport and, like F1, doesn't make it any less intriguing for me as a viewer. Double points and Safety Car standing restarts, however, are completely terrible.

Hasney

I feel like I forget about double points every couple of weeks only for something to remind me. It's like the gift that keeps on giving me a headache.

Mastah

Tobias Grüner F1 ‏@tgruener 33m

According to AMuS information, Ferrari has offered Fernando Alonso a contract extension. His current deal expires 2016.

Haha, Ferrari will be lucky to have Fred next year, not to mention after 2016 :D

Meanwhile Marko confirms Vettel needs perfect car in order do shine:

“To be fair Sebastian had far more technical troubles (than Ricciardo). On the other hand they both get the same material. If the car is not to his liking, Daniel seems to be more a driver who can handle it.

“Sebastian is a perfectionist; he needs to get the car really right and if it is not right he cannot make it like Daniel does.”

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2014/...ctionist-ricciardo-can-drive-around-problems/

Next Clark or Senna they said, LOL.

Mastah

Well, I would take a look too :D

BquaWTcCcAAkI8m.jpg:orig

Shaneus

No shit. Look how much he struggled when the EBD was dropped in 2012(?) compared to Webber. Took ages to get used to it.

Unless I'm thinking of 2011. I dunno, it's a long time ago.

Hasney

Well, I would take a look too :D

BquaWTcCcAAkI8m.jpg:orig

lol were Sky hurting for ratings? Not that I'm complaining...

Really hope I'm wrong, but I can't get the image of the two Williams taking each other out. Think Hamilton is going to be boxed out and lose places at the start, but battle back into the top 5 and possible podium. This is based on nothing other than a random feeling.

Dilly

Banned
Haha, Ferrari will be lucky to have Fred next year, not to mention after 2016 :D

Next Clark or Senna they said, LOL.

4WC's really were too much compared to other names in the history books.

Mercedes can't drive with full power today for the whole course. The issue from the last GP in the MGU-K unit is still not 100% fixed and to avoid overheating they have to cut back on power after a short time.

TCRS

Banned
why is vettel struggling so much, he is a four times world champion. he is clearly embarassed, you can hear that out of the interviews. short answers etc.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
That anthem. Fuck me.

That was.... beautiful. Haircut of that singer, i mean.

Mercedes can't drive with full power today for the whole course. The issue from the last GP in the MGU-K unit is still not 100% fixed and to avoid overheating they have to cut back on power after a short time.
Yeah, they will race it at 75-80%, looks like 100% only for overtaking chances. They will probably also try to spend as much time as possible in clean air. Apparently they installed additional heat sensors, so they should know if CU starts to overheat

Gangxxter

Great to see the Formula One back in Austria.

I'm not a fan of Andreas Andreas Gabalier, but I think he did a good job with the anthem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom