• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT| Who Will Win? Nobody Nose

Status
Not open for further replies.
Raikkonen had to start looking after his brakes two laps in and then they left him out too long. This is getting old, but Ferrari are so fucking shit and stupid.

at least kimi will get another $20m for not driving the ferrari next season.

BqwkbkhCYAAq9BF.png:large

wtf was this shit? fuck the demon headmaster.

BqwBz31CMAAeWLe.png

lol

Shaneus

Horner not mincing words about the Renault power plants anymore.
Ooh... was this online, or in an interview? Curious to hear what he said.

I'm really happy for him. I wish I could've catched the press conference.
Man of few words, but yeah he was very happy and I'm stoked for him as well. I like the guy a lot.

Somewhat along these lines, yes. Unfair perhaps, but I get the same vibes. Rich, spoilt kid being on top of the world. It`s like he was born in Ralph Lauren or something
Like a successful Chilton? I kind of get the same feeling. Yes, it's illogical and unfair, but it kind of does feel that way despite having a similar racing upbringing as Hamilton.
Ricciardo just makes pretty much everyone look like a self-entitled snob when he's there, being so grateful for everything and always smiling. Easily the most likeable driver on the grid.

Yagami_Sama

I missed the race, due to some urgency in my work, and just watched the race.
Pretty disappointed for McLaren, Button did no score any points.
Vettel's tough luck keep on pursuing him.

I am happy for Bottas, for me, he is a better driver than Massa and Perez also did a great race.

So he's developed pitstop problems in his 7th season of the sport?

Really?

REALLY?!?

When have we ever seen or heard of such a thing? The answer is never, because there's nothing he's doing wrong as a driver. The time is being lost while the car is stationary. I'm not suggesting a conspiracy, but gross and consistent incompetence when he comes into the pits. He's never had a problem parking an F1 car before. Terrible theory. PEACE.

Actually Merc said he was out of position and the second time may have been down to brakes.
AND
mr hammy has made some killer mistakes in the box.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdcRdECx8pA

Wake up SON

Vettel is having a tough time adapting. He got double screwed.

He lost his blown diffuser which was a perfect compliment to his, get on the gas earlier and harder than anyone else style.

To top it off, the new engines make the rear end even more twitchy due to additional torque.

It might take him a while to adapt. That's a lot of change to deal with for someone who basically was a model match for the previous generation of cars.

Watching his onboards you can see him trying to compensate with cornerspeed but then he ends up with understeer which then turns into snap oversteer.

Mastah

No wonder, car is suited for his racing style... just check Kimi, how lost is he

Car is suited to Alonso? You think that he likes understeering pig entering corners and oversteering dog exiting them? I don't.

It was said many times by many. When car is difficult to drive, Fred is doing wonders with it, while his team mates struggle. Was true for Massa, is true for Raikkonen. If Ferrari improves, you'll see Kimi much closer, as was the case with Felipe, but for now it is what it is.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Car is suited to Alonso? You think that he likes understeering pig entering corners and oversteering dog exiting them? I don't.

Well, they developed this car for Fernando (he had much more input compared to Kimi), but they fucked badly during development. But do not worry, that new guy Mattiaci is promising wins next season and title in 2016 ... Maybe he means 2026. There are rumors that Mattiaci wants to get rid of Fry and some senior engineers and go with Allison in more radical way for 2015 and onwards.

I have read somewhere that teams are catching up with Mercedes. Well, no wonder, if they had to drive without full ERS power and in brake conservation mode, but still managed to build gap on shortest circut on F1 2014 calendar.

pants

Actually Merc said he was out of position and the second time may have been down to brakes.
AND
mr hammy has made some killer mistakes in the box.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdcRdECx8pA

Wake up SON

Look at the F1 post history of the guy you are replying to. I hate to be shaming people that arent Ominee (I love you bro <3) but there are most certainly people in here not worth replying to. And I'm sorry that this is the second time I'm bringing this up, but it's becoming so that I don't even want to post here anymore. I barely post race weekends anymore because of all the crap going on. Recently for me it's start posting Tuesday -> stop Thursday but I dont even have the energy for that. Most of you bros that post week round in this thread are awesome though

Easily the most likeable driver on the grid.
Koba for me, same reason. Guy is always smiling and genuinely just loves the sport.

I dont understand pants, yeah PPMX is a Hamilton fan but that doesnt mean he shouldnt be answered or anything.
Some of the bullshit that gets written here by the 'accepted ones' is nonsense too.

I think its very unhealthy to exclude people because they are fanboys.

Well, they developed this car for Fernando (he had much more input compared to Kimi), but they fucked badly during development. But do not worry, that new guy Mattiaci is promising wins next season and title in 2016 ... Maybe he means 2026. There are rumors that Mattiaci wants to get rid of Fry and some senior engineers and go with Allison in more radical way for 2015 and onwards.

I have read somewhere that teams are catching up with Mercedes. Well, no wonder, if they had to drive without full ERS power and in brake conservation mode, but still managed to build gap on shortest circut on F1 2014 calendar.

Total nonsense, So Alonso likes a badly handling car? Please read what Ferrari have actually said. Allison stated that Kimi's arrival in the team does not put him at a disadvantage because the cars are new for everyone and all drivers are struggling with handling.
But I guess that thats part of the Santander/Alonso Conspiracy?? :)

Reality is that Ferrari developed the car to within the new regs and they got alot of it wrong. Alonso can simply deal with it better.

I think it's embarrassing to have page after page of bullshit like we have every weekend when something happens with Hamilton. If you guys would stop replying it wouldn't go anywhere.

I think it has been similiar here for many years with the Massa, Webber delusion :)
Anyways Hamilton is 50% of the biggest story this year.
I dont see any problem with his name popping up more than others, but I do agree with you that it should be based on facts!

Ark

I think it's embarrassing to have page after page of bullshit like we have every weekend when something happens with Hamilton. If you guys would stop replying it wouldn't go anywhere.

This has been happening for years and we've lost a lot of quality (and bullshit) posters from it.

ramparter

Banned

pants

I don't think Kimi is far off the ultimate pace if the cars is to both of their liking, I do think Alonso is a more complete driver that can get away with driving cars not to his liking, like Schumacher used to be able to do. Both drivers with you the WC given the equipment tho.

Well the reality is that Kimi and Massa were very close at Ferrari with Kimi being the better one overall. And its seems that their level is still the same compared to Alonso.

Onto this season it would be very interesting to see what Alonso could do with a better car, more powerful Engine.
In fact it would be great if Ferrari and Renault Power were much closer to Merc.
Merc deserve both Championships this year, hands down, but it would be great if the other engineers could work some magic.

Hammer24

Banned
Couple small points:
- when the MER runs perfectly, HAM a tad faster than ROS
- when the car is in trouble, ROS better at managing, and a tad faster
- yesterday was pretty close for both again, both cars close to retirement
- while the main problem from Canada (engine mapping software), which hit all Mercedes powered teams, has been solved; many new small problems surfaced
- Lauda deems situation unacceptable, fears to give the lead out of hand
- tomorrow (Tuesday) crisis meeting in England

- some very slight rumblings, VET could be earlier at FER than we expect him
- but: still not loud enough to take as confirmation

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Mercedes could be forced to rework their cooling system, looks like something went wrong with their updates for cooling right before Canada.

But I guess that thats part of the Santander/Alonso Conspiracy?? :)

But of course ! :)

that would be awesome to see, VET in red for 2016 season and new 10 year dominion of red car :p

Couple small points:
- while the main problem from Canada (engine mapping software), which hit all Mercedes powered teams, has been solved; many new small problems surfaced

Dear car manufacturers for everything related to software integration please use the appropriate work force instead of relying on mechanical engineers.

Yours truly
Software Architect

Couple small points:

I would love to know what Kimi's payout amount is this time?

Another question is if the issue is with merc powered teams, who is close enough to catch them. if they themselves would have the same/similar issues.

pants

TBH the Red Bull has looked like the best car all season, if Renault can get their shit in order they would probably laugh their way past Mercedes.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
This could also mean that next three races could be damage limitation races for Mercedes. With several problems:
  • Lewis DNF in Silverstone would send his morale down the drain
  • It would be bad to lose at home race (Hockenheim)
  • And lastly, there is Hungarian boiling pot remaining before summer break

With their development speed we could see new cooling by Hockenheim, or maybe even in Silverstone (revert to cooling solution from pre-Canadian era)

Hammer24

Banned
Mercedes could be forced to rework their cooling system, looks like something went wrong with their updates for cooling right before Canada.

It was only indirectly a cooling problem. Wrong engine mapping software made key parts overheat.

I would love to know what Kimi's payout amount is this time?

Between 20m $ and 0$. While his radio antics are fun for spectators, his side of the garage is said to be seriously pissed to constantly get shat on like this.

TBH the Red Bull has looked like the best car all season, if Renault can get their shit in order they would probably laugh their way past Mercedes.

Uhm, no.
The best car is still the Merc. The problems in Canada and Austria just clouded some peoples judgment.

BTW, newest rumbling: REN and FER could be allowed to build totally new engines for next year. Looks like the current ones would not be able to close the gap, and everyone wants F1 to stay competitive.

Ark

It annoys me seeing RBR hamstrung by Renault's crappy power unit. They should be right on Mercedes' heels.

Well, I guess it's a combination of Alonso is better and Kimi does have some problems.

I don't believe that Kimi is worse than Massa.

Eh, Massa was arguably more impressive at Ferrari than Kimi was.

I don't want to see Vettel at Ferrari until Alonso has a third title with them ;__;

DrM

Redmond's Baby
It was only indirectly a cooling problem. Wrong engine mapping software made key parts overheat.
I thought that ERS issues were connected to their Canada cooling config

This could explain some "wtf" faces on Mercedes pitwall yesterday, when they were hit by problems. I wonder what is malfunctioning now.

pants

Ah, so we're back to "its just the engine".

There is more to a car than just the engine and aero, there is the gearbox, kers integration, software mappings, brakes, diffusers etc. I'm not saying it's just the engine, but it is mighty impressive what Ric has been able to do with a PU that is a potato. If all things were equal except aero I believe RBR would be the car to beat, I dont understand why this is a controversial opinion.

Even Horner conceded that MER has the best chassis/aero package, and thus best mechanical downforce. With Newey going sailing, this is bound to stay that way. :)
It's gotta be really, really close.

Hammer24

Banned
Ferrari's decline started when Alonso joined the team. He is clearly useless at communicating with the engineering team.

As much as I dislike the guy, that's just untrue.
MSC instilled, or better forced, FER to use a professionalism that wasn´t there before, and isn´t since. FER has deep structural problems, and developed a risk averseness that severely slows their development cycles. Both has nothing to do with their drivers abilities.

hadareud

The Translator
If their aero and chassis are so brilliant, I don't understand why they aren't a bit quicker than Torro Rosso than they are, at least in the last few qualifying sessions. Between half a second and a second and a bit faster is not what you'd expect compared to the junior team with the same engine.

If you compare that to the same tracks last year around the same part of the season, the difference looks to be quite a bit smaller than it was, despite of the time gaps this season being larger than last year in general.

Not that I don't think that the Red Bull isn't fundamentally a good and quick car, but that they'd be ahead of the pack if it weren't for the engine is a bit of a stretch.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Dear car manufacturers for everything related to software integration please use the appropriate work force instead of relying on mechanical engineers.

I've seen many projects failing for exactly that reason.

Hammer24

Banned
I thought that ERS issues were connected to their Canada cooling config

Yes, because of the sw doing, lets say "unexpected" things.

I wonder what is malfunctioning now.

No single thing, but many small ones.
One example: you guys are aware, that this years rear breaks are severely undersized (compared to last years), as the hybrid charging works like a break and thus these thing could get smaller to save weight and aero. So when the charging stops to work, you have to change break balance to make up for this loss. That's what in the end happened in Canada, both MER had to basically change the balance to 100% rear breaks. Those quickly overheated, with the associated loss of pedal. So the drivers had to coast(break, which ROS managed, and HAM didn´t.
There were changes made, so that if a similar problem would occur again, the rear breaks would be better to manage. Yet they did too good, which meant the boys had to change break balance to the front yesterday, more so than the car was setup to.
They tried to counterbalance with different engine modes (strat6 f.i.), but to no or only small avail.

If all things were equal except aero I believe RBR would be the car to beat.

It is hard to judge, to be honest. Cars are always built as a compromise to all the containing parts, including the power unit. It is undisputed, that RBR built a very good car, that allows for the best apex speeds of all cars. But in doing so, they compromised their straight line speed (and usefulness of DRS). Its not all just the engine that keeps them slower there.
Seeing how MER is able to dominate (minus the last two races), and the difference to the other teams with the same power unit, we know they built a winner.
I dare to say, that if REN came suddenly up with a new engine on par with MER, RBR would have to basically totally redesign their car.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Yes, because of the sw doing, lets say "unexpected" things.
Well, i hope that it will not start killing the engine at random (like at 300 km/h) :D

They have all the capacity to solve this issues, but we will see in Silverstone. I think that they are doing some rain dance

We´ve been over this, haven´t we? This thing always worked.

I know, but it is still fun to use that 'fact' :)

Blimblim

The Inside Track
As much as I dislike the guy, that's just untrue.
MSC instilled, or better forced, FER to use a professionalism that wasn´t there before, and isn´t since.

Not to deny Shumacher's involvement, but Todt (and the people he hired like Brawn) also had a lot to do with Ferrari's success in those days.

pants

What?

Schumi won more races in 1994 and didn't race in two of them so regardless of Australia yes he deserves it.

Don't know what you're on about with 1995.

Damon Hill had a beast of a car both years.

So why does Schumacher deserve more credit for ending up champion as opposed to Damon throwing it away? Yet Kimi lucked into one by your reckoning?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom