• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT| Who Will Win? Nobody Nose

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hammer24

Banned
Well, it's important in that it means they don't need another Pastor ;)

Well, they already have a competent development driver onboard, which would even be interesting from a marketing pov. So there are cheap alternatives ;)

I'm sure they said the 2015 car was the last one he'll work full-time on. Does that mean he'll push the 2015 out the door then leave the in-season development (mostly) to the new guard?

The dev for the 2015 car is fully underway. With the way the AC things move right now, he´ll have time for it far into spring 2015.

Juicy rumors below:

Looks like Pat Fry could be resigning from Ferrari. Italian media are rumbling that Tombazis and Marmorini could be sacked before summer break.

Can't wait for him to join a different team and help them designing a better car than Ferrari. I wonder who they'll get instead, now that Newey is out of the equation.

You have an interesting definition of winning vs being handed a title. You place way too much emphasis on the last couple of races. By your own admission Kimi had more victories than the other two yet he lucked into something. Okay. I'd call it clinch but never undeserved as he outscored his competitors over the course of a season.

It's also kind of nuts for you to say someone didnt deserve a title. A season is like 17 races brah. I for example don't rate Button as the fastest driver out there, but he for sure deserved his title.
What would you think about Eddie Irvine as a WDC if Mika had had another DNF that 99 season?

NHale

Juicy rumors below:

Looks like Pat Fry could be resigning from Ferrari. Italian media are rumbling that Tombazis and Marmorini could be sacked before summer break.

The once saviour is now the scapegoat, just like Aldo Costa.

What's next? Pat Fry goes to McLaren. McLaren develops a winning car in less than 2 years.

You have an interesting definition of winning vs being handed a title. You place way too much emphasis on the last couple of races. By your own admission Kimi had more victories than the other two yet he lucked into something. Okay. I'd call it clinch but never undeserved as he outscored his competitors over the course of a season.

It's also kind of nuts for you to say someone didnt deserve a title. A season is like 17 races brah. I for example don't rate Button as the fastest driver out there, but he for sure deserved his title.

Not to mention the insane amount of bad luck Kimi had during Mclaren years so he sure as hell deserved the ''luck'' he got back in 2007 season and deserved the title.

DBT85

lol. lol. lol

The only way Hamilton even thinks about going back there is if Mercedes screw him over. The Mercedes Honda partnership doesn't guarantee anything despite what some like to hope and he's in the best car on the grid, by a distance, right now. We have to assume some of the same standard rules of thumb will remain in the years to come, unless there are large rule changes then cars will be iterations instead of revolutions.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Hamilton would be mad to move back to McLaren. Mercedes have the best of car package and will for the foreseeable future with Newey moving aside in RBR.

Another rumour doing the rounds this week is Lotus moving to Mercedes engine package next year.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Aww, my sugar level just went through the roof when I saw pics on Lewis twitter from his anniversary (he wrote it as 6th) journey to Venice with Nicole

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Another rumour doing the rounds this week is Lotus moving to Mercedes engine package next year.

That'd be so great. I want to see Lotus back near the top again. I'd really like to see Grosjean doing really well.

Also, what is it that's stopping everyone from getting the Mercedes engine? Would it be massively expensive to switch? Or do they sign contracts with the engine company?

Shaneus

That'd be so great. I want to see Lotus back near the top again. I'd really like to see Grosjean doing really well.

Also, what is it that's stopping everyone from getting the Mercedes engine? Would it be massively expensive to switch? Or do they sign contracts with the engine company?
I believe Mercedes don't want to spend too much time managing engines that aren't for their own team, so they're keeping themselves from spreading too thin. I think.

Fox Mulder

I imagine Mercedes. They'd have to expand their entire operation, which includes support. Honda complained about it in indycar after lotus left and they now supply over half the field.

Hammer24

Banned

- LOT is nowhere near to be competitive. They are almost broke, the talented people left. They wouldn´t have a chance of winning even if they were allowed to use last years engine right now.
- you sign contracts with engine manufacturers, but those can be broken. The longer the contract runs, the better discount you get on engine prices.
- Prices between different engine manufacturers are roughly the same. The only thing I keep hearing is that RBR pays way less than anyone else.
- Merc doesn´t want to provide more teams, they fear they would get stretched too thin from a service perspective. While its nice to recoup some money lost in development when you sell more engines, Merc wants a very professional client relationship that provides feedback, and gives support on one level for all customer teams.

Zeknurn

Solid arguments put forth by Adam Cooper. It sounds highly possible.

However, the fact that Red Bull could buy out the Renault F1 engine department, re-badge it and have free reign to do whatever they want and homologate it for 2016 just shows how idiotic the current regulations are.

Hammer24

Banned
Solid arguments put forth by Adam Cooper.

I disagree. He mixes some wellknown facts* with the speculation from last week to make it sound more credible.

*f.i. it is known for months, that lots of RBR people under the lead of Dr Marko spend lots of time with the REN engine people, to help them sort software and reliability issues.

Hammer24

Banned

This is going in the right direction, but very rough numbers. Like I said, what you pay in reality depends largely on length of the contract. I would say a number of 2.5Mio$ per engine is a good estimation.
All the added costs are even more variable, and depend largely on sponsorship deals. Its like when you hear what a Boeing or Airbus plane costs in book value, but no airline ever pays.

DBT85

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/114652
Rosberg happy to hold info back, but all the data is there to share.
Nico Rosberg sees nothing wrong in him and Mercedes Formula 1 team-mate Lewis Hamilton keeping information back from each other, despite their bosses' concerns about a lack of transparency.

Mercedes motorsport boss Toto Wolff suggested after the Austrian Grand Prix that the team risked its overall form suffering because its drivers were withholding information or disguising theirtrue pace in practice.

But Rosberg, who bounced back from being knocked off the front row by Williams to win at the Red Bull Ring, reckons that there is little to worry about in what is happening between him and Hamilton.

"It is all open," said the German, who leads the drivers' championship by 29 points from Hamilton.

"The data, everything, is open. It is just sometimes you are not going to put it on the table and say: 'look, here is what I have done.'

"If I find a little bit of an advantage somewhere then I am not going to tell everybody about it, I will keep it to myself. There are little bits and pieces."

Despite some flashpoints off track this year especially at the Spanish and Monaco Grands Prix, Rosberg and Hamilton's rivalry has not boiled over in to an on-track clash yet.

And Rosberg is adamant that the pair have a good enough understanding of what the team wants from them for matters not to get out of control.

"In the background we are racing for the Silver Arrows and everything is free, because as a team we need to be strong," he said.

"We are strongest when we work together and we do work together. And it will continue to be like that.

"But at the same time we are fighting each other so when we can get a bit of an advantage over the other we will take it."

BlazeGaj

Neo Member
Guys some great news in 2015 we are going to have standing restarts. lol
https://twitter.com/autosport/status/482201560618106880

Also
-reduced wind tunnel time
-less in season testing
-part ferme rules imposed from the start of FP3 rather than the start of qualifying
-Friday night curfew has been increased from six to seven hours
-ban on tyre blankets has also been dropped for 2015
http://www.crash.net/f1/news/206026/1/standing-start-restarts-confirmed-for-2015.html

Also 4 engines unless we have 20+ races.

Sigh.

The really crazy thing is that we're going to see people on completely shot tires starting with people on new tires. That's going to be nice and safe.

I guess they thought there's not enough happening with a rolling restart?
It seems rather unfair to have a standing restart, though.

The Marussia team boss was quoted over the weekend saying that the standing starts rule is only an option, and it will be up to the discretion of Charlie Whiting which they go with in each occasion. If that's the case, then it's unlikely it will be used for short stoppages, and it actually sounds rather sensible.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
They should randomize the grid for every race. No need for qualifications, just one press on the button and voila, randomized grid

They should randomize the grid for every race. No need for qualifications, just one press on the button and voila, randomized grid

Sounds great. They should also release an app for every platform to let the viewers vote for power-ups during the race or let them change the conditions. Race is boring? Bam, fog with 100 m visibility! Things are becoming too predictable? Bam², Pastor Maldonado just got twice the ERS power to attempt some overtakes.

It's the future of F1!

pants

Yeah F1 has become a shadow of what it was over the last 20 years. There still isnt a better racing category though:(

hamchan

They should also give the racer at the bottom of the grid a one use special power that instantly allows him to target the first place racer and stop his car for 10 seconds.

hadareud

The Translator
They should go back to the single lap qualifying. That was amazingly fun.

Or just to having a single 60 minute session. Remember how we all frothed at the mouth in anticipation for the last 10 minutes when the cars actually got out on the track and then we could bask in the glory of every driver complaining that there fastest lap was destroyed by traffic?

And all the amazing overtaking we saw between 94 and a few years ago. It was brilliant, racing at its finest. And the tires? It was best when they didn't degrade at all. Those one pit stop races without any overtaking were pure heaven.

Those were the days. How could anyone forget how competitive and amazing it was?

pants

I'd take almost every season pre schumacher nerf rules than modern F1. If you didnt find 80s and 90s F1 exciting, you're pretty broken inside brah.

hadareud

The Translator
There were a few good seasons and there were a few bad ones. Like now.

Last year was horrendous, this year isn't. Most of the Schumacher years were horrendous, a couple weren't.

Some of the rules they introduce are ridiculous and some work out well.

If you want the good old days of pure racing back, the last 20 years weren't them. It's been about Bernie and the FIA and team power and above all money forever. The fans do not exist in the eyes of them apart from as cash cows. If anyone truly gave a fuck about it, they had to stop watching a long time ago.

pants

There were a few good seasons and there were a few bad ones. Like now.

Last year was horrendous, this year isn't. Most of the Schumacher years were horrendous, a couple weren't.

Some of the rules they introduce are ridiculous and some work out well.

If you want the good old days of pure racing back, the last 20 years weren't them. It's been about Bernie and the FIA and team power and above all money forever. The fans do not exist in the eyes of them apart from as cash cows. If anyone truly gave a fuck about it, they had to stop watching a long time ago.

Nothing you are saying here disagrees with anything I have said (and it's mostly the same thing I've been saying)

hadareud

The Translator
Sorry, it wasn't actually directed at you as much as it was about the general mood in the thread.

I like a good moan about people having a moan.

Fox Mulder

Guys some great news in 2015 we are going to have standing restarts. lol
https://twitter.com/autosport/status/482201560618106880

Also
-reduced wind tunnel time
-less in season testing
-part ferme rules imposed from the start of FP3 rather than the start of qualifying
-Friday night curfew has been increased from six to seven hours
-ban on tyre blankets has also been dropped for 2015
http://www.crash.net/f1/news/206026/1/standing-start-restarts-confirmed-for-2015.html

Also 4 engines unless we have 20+ races.

this all sounds dumb. How does restricting testing and development reflect into a better product on the track? More DNF's and shit cars like Ferrari?

standing restarts, lol.

Timbuktu

First British GP for me next week. Only for the Sunday, circuit parking, luffield corner. Anyone got any tips? Really looking forward to this now.

AndyD

aka andydumi
The Marussia team boss was quoted over the weekend saying that the standing starts rule is only an option, and it will be up to the discretion of Charlie Whiting which they go with in each occasion. If that's the case, then it's unlikely it will be used for short stoppages, and it actually sounds rather sensible.

But they have that now. It's black flag is it not? If the accident/conditions are so bad they make them stop and grid up.

Oh but they still start from grid behind safety car now... I see the difference.

Honda's secret F1 car

uphonda6.jpg

uphonda9.jpg

http://www.racecar-engineering.com/articles/f1/hondas-secret-f1-car-revealed/

This reaction to the latest changes is brilliant: http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2014/06/26/cynical-promotion/

Standing restarts may cause a few more accidents. Brilliant! TV numbers go up when people get hurt…

My view is that if you are going to be cynical, at least have some ambition. Forget Jean Reno and Dominic Cumberbatch, have some ambition! Invite Obama and Putin for a Paddock Club Summit in Sochi. Tell Israel that they are not invited, but Iran can come. Invite Max Mosley and the cast of The Rocky Horror Show. Or just take a page out of the Kardashian instruction book: Mercedes should order Lewis Hamilton to go on a date (snogging allowed) with Katy Perry (53.9 million followers on Twitter)....

...and more at the link.

amar212

Actually not.

They should just make drivers and teams separated and make the drivers draw the cars prior to every GP.

The last driver of the last race draws first for the next race.

It would be amazing.

Fox Mulder

Actually not.

They should just make drivers and teams separated and make the drivers draw the cars prior to every GP.

The last driver of the last race draws first for the next race.

It would be amazing.

or like the f1 game career mode. You pick a rival, and if you beat them you get their seat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom