• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT| Who Will Win? Nobody Nose

Status
Not open for further replies.
Williams scored more points in this race than in whole 2013 season lol

Obligatory repost:

85g0mRl.jpg

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Another fun fact - Nico barely slowed down in last part of the race, he kept his advantage between 20 and 25 seconds, no matter how hard Riccardo raced on 2nd place. And looks like no fuel issues around, only Williams probably played it safe and backed down when they got that 6th place.

oipic

Tripping balls!

So, so happy for Dan, and absolutely stoked for Nico and Kev as well. Great weekend, terrific result. Another reminder that I'm very privileged to have an F1 race in my home town.

Tubie

Switching to Honda looks like a move backwards, at least initially. Given Mercedes appears to have a healthy advantage, that seems like a huge risk to take, given that McLaren currently is lacking in both downforce and mechanical grip.

This is what I was thinking all race long. It seems so risky with all the changes going out and how well Mercedes powered teams are doing.

I honestly expected Hamilton DNF. Some weird luck he has. He will be back though.

Mercedes looks scary right now. I'm not convinced a few software updates will take Red Bull right next to them. Ferrari looks like they have a mountain to climb.

Amazing debut from Magnussen. Some serious potential for a class driver there.

Lacked some fighting at the front, but nice opener. Season looks to be exciting, unless we get a handful of consecutive 1-2s from Mercedes.

They had ERS issues. All things considered, they were pretty fast.

It looks like this, I reckon.

Mercedes >>>>> RBR > Williams 1/2> Ferrari/McLaren >> [the rest]

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Looks like there is bigger issue with Ferrari PU, because all Ferrari powered teams had problems today.

And Hamilton only driver with Mercedes engine that retired due to PU trouble (misfiring cylinder)

Tubie

They had ERS issues. All things considered, they were pretty fast.

It looks like this, I reckon.

Mercedes >>>>> RBR > Williams 1/2> Ferrari/McLaren >> [the rest]

I don't trust Renault engines enough so far. I would put Mercedes>McLaren>Ferrari>Force India> the rest.

Juicy Bob

Really enjoyed that race, but mainly for the result.

That felt like a real grand prix. I was anticipating it to be far more crazy than it was!

Really annoyed with Kobayashi. I mean, there was a Ferrari right there and he completely failed to take him out...

Tubie

Where is Williams?

Somewhere in there causing trouble. I think Massa will be a huge headache for the top teams all year long, certainly top 10 team and fighting for a spot in the top 5 all year long. They have a well designed car, what I held back with them in my prediction was overall engineering talent and budget for the rest of the season.

Tubie

Apparently only the front brakes on Kobayashi's car worked.

I feel so bad for him, right away when the reporters asked him, the first thing he said is "it was my fault" and then it pretty much goes to how the brakes work this season compared to last season.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Ferrari is 18kg overweight according to Kravitz.

And they need to install turbine protection cover, so that will up their mass for 3 kgs...

According to Kravitz, Ferrari is half a second per lap slower than Mercedes, even without their battery problems.

He probably got that from FP form, where Fernando managed to get to half a second deficit to Mercedes

jey_16

Banned
According to Kravitz, Ferrari is half a second per lap slower than Mercedes, even without their battery problems.

I think the whole field is more then 1/2 a second behind the Mercs at the moment....take out the safety car and Ricciardo/Mag would have finished 35-40 seconds behind and that's with Rosberg cruising for most of the race

Ryne

Kobayashi's crash was a bit scary because the cars nose submarined Massa's. Massa's car was lifted off the ground.

Tubie

What I'm most scared of is Maldonado in a Lotus. Can you imagine the rampage he could cause in a better car? How is he still allowed to drive in F1?

Juicy Bob

Indeed. The Force India is the worst Mercedes-engined car by quite a margin, too.
I did it when heard he was getting a gearbox penalty because I thought, for some stupid reason, that it was 10 places and that Force India would have more pace than they did.

Oh well.

DBT85

Kobayashi's crash was a bit scary because the car's nose submarined Massa's. Massa's car was lifted off the ground.

Not sure how they prevent both going over and going under though.
Can't believe sky didn't use their 3D shit to show the car going under though. How close was the Williams to Kobayashi's head?

cmr-94

Systems failure on Kamui's car - no further action - he couldn't have prevented collision

Adam Cooper ‏@adamcooperF1 50s
The FIA is investigating a fuel flow issue on @danielricciardo's car. Team reps have to report to the stewards..

Ryne

Not sure how they prevent both going over and going under though.
Can't believe sky didn't use their 3D shit to show the car going under though. How close was the Williams to Kobayashi's head?

All the angles I can see are from the front, but the car was definitely lifted off the ground. These people are some of the smartest around, they can find a solution (without making it ugly I hope).

Where's the source on Kobayashi's failure?

Stewards:

Having heard from the driver and the technical representatives of the team, and especially reviewing the technical data, the stewards determine that the incident was caused by a serious technical failure completely outside the control of the driver.

The team is directed to work with the FIA technical delegate in determining the cause of the systems failure.

Edit - WELP, that'll be a DQ for Danny if true.

DBT85

If they are serious about enforcing their rules, yes, it should be a DQ.

They said there would be no leniency on the fuel rules.

The question is, at what point was he pushing hard enough to need over the limit fuel delivery. He was never keeping up with Nico.

kmag

Caterham twitter

Adam Cooper ‏@adamcooperF1 2m
FIA says @danielricciardo's car "has exceeded consistently the maximum allowed fuel flow of 100kg/h"

Serious..

Surely it's impossible to consistently exceed the maximum allowed fuel flow and not be fuel limited? I mean you could exceed it at points which would still be a rule violation but if you're consistently doing it then you're going to be eating far more fuel than competition who were fuel limited while Red Bull were not. It may be a sensor problem.

DBT85

Surely it's impossible to consistently exceed the maximum allowed fuel flow and not be fuel limited? I mean you could exceed it at points which would still be a rule violation but if you're consistently doing it then you're going to be eating far more fuel than competition who were fuel limited while Red Bull were not. It may be a sensor problem.

They have the fuel flow sensor as well as data from the injectors so will be able to corroborate either way.

F1 Manager has been updated and here are the people in the top three positions.

Check the league page for the full list.

Joint 4th, I'll take it!

I think I forgot about something as I only picked the 4 things, not a Quali lap.

kmag

I'm joint last with about a million others. I did pretty well on the Castrol one, but that was obviously more about predicting the results,

Safety car, aborted start.

I meant in comparison to the competition who were fuel limited at points. They've all got the same amount of fuel, and an consistently over the limit fuel flow means you're eating more than competition who are under that limit. I could see he how could be over the limit say towards the end when they knew he had enough to get home which would still be a dq but not consistently throughout the race.

I meant in comparison to the competition who were fuel limited at points. They've all got the same amount of fuel, and an consistently over the limit fuel flow means you're eating more than competition who are under that limit.

We don't know if all the teams started with the full 100kg. They might have, they might not have. Also, consistently could mean any number of things here.

Edit - Wait, are you confusing the difference between the fuel flow and total fuel? Both have limits, and it's quite possible to exceed one without running out of the other.

Imagine that he chills out for 10 laps, doing a fuel flow of 80kg an hour. He could then have ten laps at 120kg an hour (not that he should be able to) without running out of total fuel.

Jibbed

We don't know if all the teams started with the full 100kg. They might have, they might not have. Also, consistently could mean any number of things here.

Edit - Wait, are you confusing the difference between the fuel flow and total fuel? Both have limits, and it's quite possible to exceed one without running out of the other.

Imagine that he chills out for 10 laps, doing a fuel flow of 80kg an hour. He could then have ten laps at 120kg an hour (not that he should be able to) without running out of total fuel.

If there's found to be erroneous sensors or the difference is within a certain degree (let's say 1% so 99kg/h - 101kg/h), then Red Bull may still be able to argue their way out of this. 'Consistently' suggests either a sensor issue or they were 100% breaking the rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom