• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT| Who Will Win? Nobody Nose

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicktendo86

Sucks, but rules are rules. :( So that's a 2/3 for McLaren, wow.
Indeed, great result for McLaren. I don't think anyone had them down for a double podium!

Would love to know how much of an advantage Ricciardo had, if any. Terrible weekend for Red Bull with engine mapping!

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Sucks for Ricciardo. Red Bull plz. Good score for McLaren though! And I guess Perez will be happy with 1 pt.

Shaneus

James Allen reported it, too :/

What's the deal with the device... did it come via the FIA and was it faulty or something? Just echoing twitter replies, no idea if they're valid or not.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
James Allen reported it, too :/

What's the deal with the device... did it come via the FIA and was it faulty or something? Just echoing twitter replies, no idea if they're valid or not.

They had some wierd reading on Saturday, so they replaced the fuel flow sensor unit with new one in Parc Ferme, just to be sure that they exclude faulty sensor. And during the race, FIA observed that max fuel flow in RIC car is constantly above the limited maximum level, which is against the rules.

After the race, they checked data from RBR sensors and tested fuel flow sensor unit. Looks like they found no problems with their sensor unit, so this means that RBR used too much fuel flow and they knew about it - quite possible they risked and got caught with hand in the honey pot.

Shaneus

http://adamcooperf1.com/2014/03/16/ricciardo-disqualified-from-second-place/

Daniel Ricciardo has been excluded from the results of the Australian GP for a fuel flow irregularity, but the team has confirmed its intention to apoeal

A team statement said: “Following the decision of the FIA that Infiniti Red Bull Racing is in breach of Article 3.2 of the FIA Formula One Sporting Regulations and Article 5.1.4 of the FIA Formula One Technical Regulations with Car 3, the Team has notified the FIA of its intention to appeal with immediate effect.

“Inconsistencies with the FIA fuel flow meter have been prevalent all weekend up and down the pit lane. The Team and Renault are confident the fuel supplied to the engine is in full compliance with the regulations.”

They had some wierd reading on Saturday, so they replaced the fuel flow sensor unit with new one in Parc Ferme, just to be sure that they exclude faulty sensor. And during the race, FIA observed that max fuel flow in RIC car is constantly above the limited maximum level, which is against the rules.

After the race, they checked data from RBR sensors and tested fuel flow sensor unit. Looks like they found no problems with their sensor unit, so this means that RBR used too much fuel flow and they knew about it.
Thanks for that. I wonder if the problem was that the weird readings were that it was consistently reading all over the shop, but still under the limits... or something.

Joni

I'll think I'll skip the season this year. Ferrrari still sucks, the new rules seem really restrictive and I can no longer see the races in English or Dutch on any channel available in Belgium, so I need to use the French broadcasts which is just too bothersome if Ferrari sucks.

oipic

Red Bull finding fresh and exciting new ways by which to screw over Vettel's team-mate...

(not being serious, obviously)

Well, that's turned a wonderful day into a cruddy one. A real shame for Dan, as his drive appeared to be faultless, but rules are rules, etc. Red Bull... *sigh*

DBT85

A shame for Riccy as I'm sure he wasn't aware. I'm not even convinced RBR did it on purpose. But they would gave seen exactly the same readings from the sensor as the FIA did so should have known it was going to come up after the race.

Red Bull knew about it during the race and had a chance to lower the fuel consumption:

The FIA technical representative observed thought the telemetry during
the race that the fuel flow was too high and contacted the team, giving them the
opportunity to follow his previous instruction, and reduce the fuel flow such that it
was within the limit, as measured by the homologated sensor – and thus gave the
team the opportunity to be within compliance. The team chose not to make this
correction.

http://184.106.145.74/f1-championsh... Australian Grand Prix 2014 Document - 56.pdf

Certinty

I'll admit, when McLaren decided to drop Perez last year I thought it was a bit unfair given how crap the car was all season and that he deserved another shot. But after seeing Magnussen this weekend it all makes sense, this kid could become huge.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.

Jucksalbe

Banned
I really feel sorry for Ricciardo, with such a good race in his home country, to get disqualified because his team's just a bunch of idiots.

oipic

Red Bull knew about it during the race and had a chance to lower the fuel consumption

I'm guessing the appeal will be based on Red Bull's 'evidence' that their measurements were correct, and that the official readings were not - but it'll be in vain, surely, as the FIA's readings are the only ones that matter, right? Maybe there's more to it... but I'm not sure what leg Red Bull will have to stand on if it's as simple as that.

Juicy Bob

kmag

Hmmmmmm. That whole, 'FIA tells them to reduce the fuel, Red Bull say whateva lolz' things looks like a bullet to their appeal chances to me...

Poor Dan. Really, really sucks for him but it does seem like they had a chance to not break the regs and didn't.

It's a wee bit more complicated than that from reading it. The main area of dispute seems to be about the offset to apply to mitigate the discrepancy in the sensor readings. Red Bull ultimately chose their backup model over the FIA which is what has done them in. Typical Red Bull arrogance. I assume Red Bull thought the FIA offset was far too restrictive to performance.

Ultimately the FIA should be able to provide a working sensor seems that they didn't 3 times over the weekend. I wonder how many teams had a dodgy sensor and chose to use the FIA backup calculation as the rules state?

Juicy Bob

It's a wee bit more complicated than that from reading it. The main area of dispute seems to be about the offset to apply to mitigate the discrepancy in the sensor readings. Red Bull ultimately chose their backup model over the FIA which is what has done them in. Typical Red Bull arrogance. I assume Red Bull thought the FIA offset was far too restrictive to performance.

Ultimately the FIA should be able to provide a working sensor seems that they didn't 3 times over the weekend. I wonder how many teams had a dodgy sensor and chose to use the FIA backup calculation?
Yeah, I understand the situation. I can see Red Bull's argument and if it turns out the sensors really are innacurate, maybe it should be overturned.

But the fact is that Red Bull chose to trust their own judgement and maximise performance over playing it safe and definitely staying within the rules. I wonder if there were a number of cars today who had similar issues with sensors but still played it safe anyway.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Oh Stefano...
“The first race of the championship has provided a clear picture of the hierarchy at the start of season. It’s also shown which teams appear to have done the best job of dealing with these new regulations. Today, we achieved our objective in terms of reliability, but the gap we need to make up, especially to Mercedes, was clear to see. .The information we have gathered this weekend clearly points to the direction we must take and what areas need the most work.] It will be important to catch up as quickly as possible and react in the way this team has always proved capable of doing. Our engineers know what the priorities are and which areas need the most immediate attention.”

And looks like Alonso only had ERS issues for first 10 laps and then they found the solution. And they are blaming being stuck behind Hulk for poor performance - if you have '2nd fastest car on the grid' (copyright certain Italian journalists) you should easily overtake Force India...

Dead Man

Yeah, I understand the situation. I can see Red Bull's argument and if it turns out the sensors really are innacurate, maybe it should be overturned.

But the fact is that Red Bull chose to trust their own judgement and maximise performance over playing it safe and definitely staying within the rules. I wonder if there were a number of cars today who had similar issues with sensors but still played it safe anyway.

Indeed. Unless you can prove they are wrong at that time, follow the FIA instructions and argue later.

John_B

Shame for Ricciardo, he was excellent all weekend.

Interesting case though. Red Bull clearly breached the rules by not obeying the sensor. They are not permitted to follow alternative flow measurements on their own, however more accurate or not.

So they banked on FIA letting them pass because they could show that they were technically within the the flow limit.

It still asks the question if there are legitimate sensor problems.

Nicktendo86

Apparently McLaren were running at 96kg/he to play safe due to interference with the fuel flow sensor, ricciardo probably had a significant performance advantage over Mag. I can't believe RB think they were OK to just ignore the warnings, they should be punished for appealing frankly.

Stop It

Apparently McLaren were running at 96kg/he to play safe due to interference with the fuel flow sensor, ricciardo probably had a significant performance advantage over Mag. I can't believe RB think they were OK to just ignore the warnings, they should be punished for appealing frankly.
Indeed, all the teams had the same issue, and Red Bull were the only ones who decided not to play safe. Sheer arrogance and I hate what they seem to have become.

Red Bull used to be a fun team, one that actually was positive for the sport. They're now starting to remind me of Ferrari 2000-2004, where they think they're above the rules and try to do whatever they feel like. Thankfully the FIA appear to be wise to it, this time.

f0rk

Indeed, all the teams had the same issue, and Red Bull were the only ones who decided not to play safe. Sheer arrogance and I hate what they seem to have become.

Red Bull used to be a fun team, one that actually was positive for the sport. They're now starting to remind me of Ferrari 2000-2004, where they think they're above the rules and try to do whatever they feel like. Thankfully the FIA appear to be wise to it, this time.

Really it's to be expected after the last few seasons with people stopping on track to get around fuel rules without a real punishment. It's good the FIA are actually enforcing them now and this sends that message.

Ark

I'm really pleased the FIA are sticking to being strict on fuel limits. They said as much during the week. Sucks for Ricciardo though.

Good race over all. Gutted that Hamilton's bad luck has followed him to Mercedes and into a new era. Would have loved to see whether Rosberg or Hamilton would come out on top. Once Bottas hit the wall the race became a bit monotonous, but oh well.

The two week wait until Malaysia is going to be a difficult one. Thankfully I've got the 24-28th off :)

DrM

Redmond's Baby
RIC dsq means that Williams collected 10 points on the first race, compared to 5 in whole 2013 season

Double podium finish for Mclaren means that they got more points today than in first 5 races of 2013 season.

Best STR start of the season since 2009

Addnan

Bottas was pushing hard for pretty much the whole race. That Mercedes engine must be quite something when it comes to fuel efficiency.

Stop It

Really it's to be expected after the last few seasons with people stopping on track to get around fuel rules without a real punishment. It's good the FIA are actually enforcing them now and this sends that message.

Very true, and the FIA being a bit flip-floppy on fuel issues before was a real pain.
This time, Whiting was clear: Follow the fuel regs, or you're out. The fact that Red Bull not only ignored that warning, but actually ignored the stewards during the race smacks me as just wrong. If Magnussen was so close to the RBR with a fuel deficit, it shows that he really deserved to be ahead anyway.

Ah well, hopefully come the next race such silliness will be avoided, as it takes away from a really good comeback for RBR and shows that they aren't out of this title race at all. Instead questions will be asked as to whether they really have their feet on the ground there with regards to respecting the FIA and the stewards.

Ark

Bottas was pushing hard for pretty much the whole race. That Mercedes engine must be quite something when it comes to fuel efficiency.

Didn't Symonds say that the reason they were off the pace during wet-qualy was because their car is very kind on its tyres too? Williams look like they have a tremendous package to work with, great reliability, downforce, fuel efficiency, and tyre-usage.

Even now the race has finished we still have no idea what Mercedes are capable of, haha.

kmag

Red Bull say they are absolutely sure that from their measurements from the injectors sure they were bang on the fuel flow rate and they told the FIA this before, during and after the race. Given that Whiting said before the race the injector readings would be used for confirmation in the event of a fuel flow issue then you've got to wonder if that's true although the delay in the decision would indicate that it probably was (If the injectors showed them using over the rate it wouldn't have taken 4 hours to come up with a decision). The issue here seems to be not that Red Bull actually used more than the allowed fuel flow, the data from the injectors themselves would indicate that very quickly, but that the FIA backup model they switch to when the flow rate sensor is broken indicates that they did and they deviated from that model without permission.

No one comes out of this with any credit, the FIA have produced a dodgy fuel flow sensor. Red Bull have showed their typical arrogance, although I'd have some sympathy if their data is correct and they're actually under the limit. It's motor racing and you shouldn't be turning down performance unless there is an absolute reason for it.

Gutted for Ricciardo. He didn't put a wheel wrong all weekend, even under all that media pressure of his home race.

nvm

Edit. Oh I didn't see that KK didn't have any rear brakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom