• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT| Who Will Win? Nobody Nose

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeknurn

Next weekend is the first race

edit:

oh, thought it would be a whole weekend deal.

Some dude in charge said that they didn't want to not clog up city centers over multiple days.

I have to say I like the spread of teams from all over world rather than all being from the UK like Formula 1.

There's two apparently well regarded US teams, one Indian team, multiple UK teams and several EU teams.

Other facts:
Power unit made by McLaren
Battery by Williams
Everyone drives the same car for the first season and then for next season they will open up for teams to make their own components.
There is just one type of tyre which is used in both dry and wet conditions. Michelin makes it and it's supposed to be more in line with road cars.

Addnan

London one will be in Battersea Park, so no reason I can't go and watch assuming tickets are not extortionately priced. 27th June, so not any day soon.

Zeknurn

London one will be in Battersea Park, so no reason I can't go and watch assuming tickets are not extortionately priced. 27th June, so not any day soon.

I have a feeling that they will be practically giving tickets away to get interest going.

McLaren will confirm in the next few weeks that Jenson Button and Kevin Magnussen will drive for them again next season.

We are happy with the drivers we have, to be honest. You can rate them or not rate them, I don’t care. We are happy and lucky to have the good drivers we have. If we have them next year we will be happy with that.

The truth is we have been talking to everybody. But we never hide this. We may consider Daniel Ricciardo [Red Bull]. Nico Rosberg as well is doing well. So there are a lot of drivers we may consider.

But we are thinking about strategy. We have to think about 2016. We are seeking who, when, how, how much, because we need to know how we want to build for the future. It is usual in Formula One, especially with A-list drivers, to have discussions not for next year but for the year after.

www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/sep/06/mclaren-f1-driver-lineup-to-remain-unchanged

So they failed miserably at getting any one of Hamilton, Alonso or Vettel.

However, I am sure any one of these 3 (especially Alonso or Vettel) have signed a pre-contract with McLaren which could be activated based on performance in 2015; smart of them wanting to have Button guinea pig that Honda engine first, iron out the kinks and keep the seat warm.

However, I fear for Vettel's legacy if he keeps getting trounced 2 years in a row..

TCRS

Banned
I think all these rumours are about 2016 anyway. 2015 is pretty much set, everyone has a contract, no? All these talks are about options for 2016, teams are trying to secure options. This time next year will be crazy.

DBT85

Very happy for Lewis. It's about time the team started getting more front row lockouts and 1-2 finishes. I'd like to see them pushing each other for the entire race for a change.

Not that I would mind if Nicos engine fell out on the parade lap.

As for the BBCs lovely ladies, it's all about Lee Mckenzie.

I think all these rumours are about 2016 anyway. 2015 is pretty much set, everyone has a contract, no? All these talk are about options for 2016. This time next year will be crazy.

They are signed, but I think it's by way of activating their options for 2015.

hadareud

The Translator
Vettel and Hamilton are under contract for next season, so it's a stretch to say that they failed miserably at getting them. They can't get them, nobody can.

It's about 2016 for them, I would think.

Vettel and Hamilton are under contract for next season, so it's a stretch to say that they failed miserably at getting them. They can't get them, nobody can.

It's about 2016 for them, I would think.

I believe that Hamilton was signed for 2 years, with an option for a third (2015).

I think it's the same for Vettel (i.e. contract expires next year, but I think 2015 is an option).

DBT85

Damn fucking right. Every time they show her it gets my attention. Wish she would host and not only get the 2 mins.

She did it for a race or two while Jake was doing the Olympics IIRC, and for whatever reason was a bit uneasy which was a shame.

dem hips, I like.

generally it's good to see so many women in F1 coverage. Suzi is actually great now imo.

The important thing is that it's good to see women in F1 coverage who actually know what the actual fuck they are talking about, what they are asking about and what the drivers and teams mean when they say something. I can't say the same about the women on Sky, Pinkham and Lazenby.

I just wonder, will they put tarmac runoff into Lesmos too for next year?

I don't know if they will, since it's much slower than Parabolica.

However, I fear for Vettel's legacy if he keeps getting trounced 2 years in a row..

Hes outqualified Dany for the third consecutive Saturday, he just needs to not make errors on raceday. By the end of the season,hell be in good form. For sure though, this season did little to flatter the legacy he built for himself in the blown exhaust era.

Hes outqualified Dany for the third consecutive Saturday, he just needs to not make errors on raceday. By the end of the season,hell be in good form. For sure though, this season did little to flatter the legacy he built for himself in the blown exhaust era.

Outqualifying means nothing if he is getting trounced in race pace. Not just edged, or beaten, but severely beaten. He spun in Hungary, made a bad decision against Lewis at Les Combes and chewed his tyres at Spa (despite being slower than RIC) so that qualifying advantage did not yield any dividends. He may beat him tomorrow, but RIC has 3 wins to his name, and that's what people will look at when reviewing Vettel's first season post-EBD/V8-era.

Vettel had a chance to cement his legacy (and prove Alonso wrong) had he won these races (that RIC won), but he's given the doubters more ammo as the season went on.

Tubie

What are the chances of a Ferrari in the podium?

It's incredible how all the cars with Mercedes engines ended up ahead of Alonso, but it makes sense, this being Monza.

DBT85

What are the chances of a Ferrari in the podium?

It's incredible how all the cars with Mercedes engines ended up ahead of Alonso, but it makes sense, this being Monza.

Well, I think they'd need an accident to happen ahead of them to make it even remotely possible. The podium will have either 1 Merc and 2 Williams or 2 Merc and 1 Williams.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
If both cars will finish in points, WIL will collect more points in this season than in last four seasons combined.

I can see WIL push hard for 3rd place at WCC, that would bring them several more millions from Bernie...

Also we can expect contract extension with Bottas very soon.

If both cars will finish in points, WIL will collect more points in this season than in last four seasons combined.

I can see WIL push hard for 3rd place at WCC, that would bring them several more millions from Bernie...

Also we can expect contract extension with Bottas very soon.

Happy for Williams.

And they'll be stupid not to sign Bottas.. Their biggest mistake was letting Hulk go and replacing him with 2 shitheads

WILLIAMS RACING ‏@WilliamsRacing 18 Sek.

We are pleased to announce that @MassaFelipe19 @ValtteriBottas will be continuing as our Race Drivers for 2015!

We are pleased to announce that @MassaFelipe19 @ValtteriBottas will be continuing as our Race Drivers for 2015!

Awesome..

I had a dream last night that Ferrari signed Hamilton, and Alonso going to Mercedes but staying in Ferrari so Kimi's future is uncertain

Zeknurn

Good decision by Williams. They have a very strong line-up and should be title contenders next year as long as they don't Lotus it.

Pretty damn cool, astronaut on ISS tweets photo of Monza he took:

monza.jpg

Zeknurn

The current 2015 draft:

Code:
DRAFT 2015 CALENDAR

March 15 - Australia (Melbourne)
March 29 - Malaysia (Sepang)
April 5 - Bahrain (Sakhir)
April 19 - China (Shanghai)
May 10 - Spain (Barcelona)
May 24 - Monaco (Monte Carlo)
June 7 - Canada (Montreal)
June 21 - Austria (Red Bull Ring)
July 5 - Britain (Silverstone)
July 19 - Germany (Nurburgring)
July 26 - Hungary (Budapest)
August 23 - Belgium (Spa-Francorchamps)
September 6 - Italy (Monza)
September 20 - Singapore (Singapore)
September 27 or October 4 - Japan (Suzuka)
October 11 - Russia (Sochi)
October 25 - Mexico (Mexico City)
November 1 - United States (Austin)
November 15 - Brazil (Interlagos)
November 22 or November 29 - Abu Dhabi (Yas Marina)

You can say what you want about Lewis Hamilton, but he's definitely one of the nicest people in this sport. I really like him and definitely wish him another championship.

I still can't stand Suzi Perry, but I soldier on for DC and EJ.

She really annoys me. Yesterday she was going on to EJ with something about how you can't write off Red Bull tomorrow. And he had to explain why they don't have much chance of winning at this circuit even with crashes, safety cars, etc...

Who are you.
brotkasten
A bitter, cynical, safe moist as dude
(Today, 01:34 PM)

What? I just watched his interview on the BBC and he is a great person. I never said anything on the contrary and I'm not calling myself a Hamilton fan. He might get emotional at times (which makes him more ... human than a Rosberg) and whatever he does in his private life might not fit your usual F1 race star life, but that doesn't make him a worse person or anything. It doesn't stop me from giving him shit for some things he makes.

Still, he definitely deserves another go at it.

The current 2015 draft:

Code:
DRAFT 2015 CALENDAR

March 15 - Australia (Melbourne)
March 29 - Malaysia (Sepang)
April 5 - Bahrain (Sakhir)
April 19 - China (Shanghai)
May 10 - Spain (Barcelona)
May 24 - Monaco (Monte Carlo)
June 7 - Canada (Montreal)
June 21 - Austria (Red Bull Ring)
July 5 - Britain (Silverstone)
July 19 - Germany (Nurburgring)
July 26 - Hungary (Budapest)
August 23 - Belgium (Spa-Francorchamps)
September 6 - Italy (Monza)
September 20 - Singapore (Singapore)
September 27 or October 4 - Japan (Suzuka)
October 11 - Russia (Sochi)
October 25 - Mexico (Mexico City)
November 1 - United States (Austin)
November 15 - Brazil (Interlagos)
November 22 or November 29 - Abu Dhabi (Yas Marina)

No New Jersey? :(

Was hoping to do that and Canada in a two week holiday. :(

Ark

She really annoys me. Yesterday she was going on to EJ with something about how you can't write off Red Bull tomorrow. And he had to explain why they don't have much chance of winning at this circuit even with crashes, safety cars, etc...

She makes so many mistakes it really annoys me. You can tell when she's halfway through a sentence and the producer says something in her ear.

What? I just watched his interview on the BBC and he is a great person. I never said anything on the contrary and I'm not calling myself a Hamilton fan. He might get emotional at times (which makes him more ... human than a Rosberg) and whatever he does in his private life might not fit your usual F1 race star life, but that doesn't make him a worse person or anything. It doesn't stop me from giving him shit for some things he makes.

Still, he definitely deserves another go at it.

I was only joking, but I do agree with you. Post 2011 Hamilton and Vettel appear to be thoroughly nice guys most of the time. Obvious mention to Ricciardo.

EDIT: EJ on the grid is hilarious.

olore

Crazy, good crazy.

edit: Hope it isn`t a fluke either, they need/deserve several seasons at the pointy end of the grid

Hasney

Hamilton is growing on me since Spa. If this was even a year ago, he would have snapped and been a twat, but he's handling it all much better now.

Vettel is a genuinely hilarious guy and I've been damn impressed by how he's handled first his terrible luck and now just being mostly outraced.

Still backing Rosberg. I'll always back the guy who hasn't won the WDC and the fact that he's such a cartoon villain at the moment is the very definition of icing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom