• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT| Who Will Win? Nobody Nose

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bit of bad luck, hopefully he can get back on the podium again in a future race. Would be cruel if the Melbourne G.P would be the only chance he had to taste success.

Juicy Bob

Yay, the on again off again relationship we all love to hear endlessly about.

I can't wait to see her at all the races again. I'm like, totally stoked about the idea.
I really hope they do get married and live happily ever after, purely because it's clear that Lewis is a lot more stable both on and off the track when things between them are going well.

Ark

I think we're still on for that Vettel recovery in the back half of the season and he just gets there because of double points in the last race

I wouldn't be so sure. It looks like Mercedes really does have a second over everyone else including the Red Bull. Could RBR make up that gap so quickly? This time the Brackley outfit has money and manpower to develop in-season (unlike 2009). Of course they could pull a Ferrari-2010 and just build an entirely new car in 2 months, but I'm not sure they'd do that.

NHale

Not the start of the season I expected. It was a boring race almost from start to finish. Only Bottas provided some excitement because everyone else didn't seem to care about trying to overtake other drivers due to fuel management.

I'm sure this lack of excitement has nothing to do with the much harder tyre compounds Pirelli made for the 2014 season.... I will be shocked if everyone is not screaming for softer tyre compounds in June.

f0rk

I wouldn't be so sure. It looks like Mercedes really does have a second over everyone else including the Red Bull. Could RBR make up that gap so quickly? This time the Brackley outfit has money and manpower to develop in-season (unlike 2009). Of course they could pull a Ferrari-2010 and just build an entirely new car in 2 months, but I'm not sure they'd do that.

The area that needs development seems clear on the Red Bull and they potentially have elements that are already better. Add in some Newey special sauce and I don't think it's too unlikely they can at least take fair races from Mercedes by the half way point. Of course perhaps Mercedes will improve at the same rate but that seems less likely to me, the gap will at least close.

Plus, even with the difference in performance they still both only finished with one car. If the bad luck gets shared out a bit the lead might not be that great. I mean McLaren are top of the constructors right now lol

Shaneus

I still don't know how fuel flow could be exceeded so consistently across the race, yet he didn't run out of fuel. If that rate was exceeded, wouldn't Danny have finished with fuck-all fuel given the 100kg limit?

100kg fuel + racing for far more than one hour = 100kg/hr limit exceeded?

Shaneus

The chief of the Australian Grand Prix Corporation Andrew Westacott is strongly considering legal action against Formula 1's governing body (Is that FIA? or FoM?) because the engines weren't loud enough and didn't contribute to the atmosphere of the race.

Only heard it on a news report on local radio, but there should be articles around the net on it as well, I'd imagine.

McNum

I still don't know how fuel flow could be exceeded so consistently across the race, yet he didn't run out of fuel. If that rate was exceeded, wouldn't Danny have finished with fuck-all fuel given the 100kg limit?

Fuel consumption isn't constant. You'll obviously use more when accelerating than while breaking, for instance. But if the peak use when accelerating keeps going over 100kg/hr, then you're consistently breaking the rule, yet having a consumption rate that's on average much lower than that. But you're still dinging over 100kg/hr several times per lap.

Lima

1 lap less due to the cars not firing up at the start and what like 6 or 7 laps behind the safety car? I imagine that must have saved a lot of fuel.

frontieruk

Fuel consumption isn't constant. You'll obviously use more when accelerating than while breaking, for instance. But if the peak use when accelerating keeps going over 100kg/hr, then you're consistently breaking the rule, yet having a consumption rate that's on average much lower than that. But you're still dinging over 100kg/hr several times per lap.

Aren't there tracks where the average usage is predicted to be in the 50kg/hr range?

hamchan

The chief of the Australian Grand Prix Corporation Andrew Westacott is strongly considering legal action against Formula 1's governing body (Is that FIA? or FoM?) because the engines weren't loud enough and didn't contribute to the atmosphere of the race.

Only heard it on a news report on local radio, but there should be articles around the net on it as well, I'd imagine.

Yo, that sounds real dumb of him. I personally thought it was a great atmosphere too, especially with the crowd cheering so loudly.

Nicktendo86

1 lap less due to the cars not firing up at the start and what like 6 or 7 laps behind the safety car? I imagine that must have saved a lot of fuel.
Bingo. A lot of drivers after the race said they had no problem with fuel saving, due to the safety car and other factors. They of course were not able to take advantage of this as they stuck to the fuel flow limit, RB allegedly didn't so theoretically had an advantage.

NHale

Even if RBR was right and the sensor was giving wrong readings they deserve the penalty (not Ricciardo). Why? Because FIA warned them about it and asked them to fix it. They just decided not to respect that order.

Imagine if you allow teams/drivers to start questioning FIA orders? Would have Grosjean last year at Hungary respected the drive through penalty even when he didn't do anything wrong? If the FIA says A, you do A even if you truly believe you are right and they are wrong. It is what it is.

Klocker

yep

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...d-enough-says-australian-grand-prix-organiser

The quieter cars, under this season’s new F1 rules, detracted from the “sexiness” of the race and meant Melbourne did not get what it paid for, Australian Grand Prix Corporation chief executive, Andrew Westacott, says.

Grand Prix chairman, Ron Walker, has already been in discussions with Formula One chief Bernie Ecclestone and made it clear organisers are unhappy.

“One aspect of it was just a little bit duller than it’s ever been before and that’s part of the mix and the chemistry that they’re going to have to get right,” Westacott told Fairfax Radio on Monday. “Ron spoke to [Ecclestone] after the race and said the fans don’t like it in the venue.

“We pay for a product, we’ve got contracts in place, we are looking at those very, very seriously because we reckon there has probably been some breaches.”

Westacott said he did not need earplugs in pit lane at the start of the race and described the sounds as being like harpsichords in a chamber orchestra.

He expects hardcore racing fans in Europe will be even less impressed by the quieter cars.

Shaneus

I wonder if any kind of legal action would somehow cause Bernie to accidentally up the cost of the GP for Australia? He seems like the sort of vengeful, spiteful old fart that would do such a thing.

Short of hooking the engines up to some speakers, what could be done to make the cars louder?

Getting rid of the fuelflow restriction would be a start. The engines are not even close to the allowed max rpm of 15000. Altough this would then presumably only be used in quali and passing because it decreases motor efficiency.

hamchan

I wonder if any kind of legal action would somehow cause Bernie to accidentally up the cost of the GP for Australia? He seems like the sort of vengeful, spiteful old fart that would do such a thing.

I'd do it and I wouldn't blame him if he did too.

Getting sued by someone would definitely ruin my relationship with them, enough that if they want to do business with me again they'll have to pay a crapload more money.

Hammer24

Banned
Getting rid of the fuelflow restriction would be a start. The engines are not even close to the allowed max rpm of 15000. Altough this would then presumably only be used in quali and passing because it decreases motor efficiency.

That's exactly why the engineers asked for the rule of fuel flow restriction. Otherwise the cars would, thanks to the turbo, go up to 1500hp. And the engines wouldn´t hold for the whole season.

My takes on a fantastic GP:
- great drive by ROS, made no mistakes. If intelligence is needed to win this years WDC, he´s the front runner.
- gutted for RIC. He drove awesome. But in the end, only RBR are to blame, their arrogance finally came back to bite them in the ass. Let´s not forget, the FIA changed the fuel restriction rule from Friday to Saturday for RBR, the measurements were only taken half of the time now to get to an lower average. And they even got warned while the race was on (never heard this happening before). And RBR still choose to ignore them? Yeah.
- great comeback for MCL. Magnussen sensational, and BUT is one to watch as well for the season. He´s got the necessary intellect as well to constantly get his car far into the points.
- BOT drove great, but sadly not mistake free. Can´t wait for MAS to fight ALO on track. Oh, and MAS, its not cool to call for the ban of a fellow driver, just saying.
- FER unspectacular but reliable. I´d seriously had expected more from RAI, in the end he´s got a lot of experience drifting from rally. But it looks like he´s not able to concentrate a full race.
- FOI looking good. For a team that small they do a hell of a job.
- SAU in for a world of hurt. It´ll take a long time to get out of that hole.
- KOB sorry mate, but when you know your tyres are unusually cold, you simply can´t drive like that.
- LOTLOL

Can´t wait for Malaysia! It´ll be a very different ballgame. All teams need to open up the car bodies to get more cooling going to compensate the much higher temperatures. And expect RBR to fall a bit more behind, not just because of the temps, but also for the loss of some HP from rule compliant fuel flow.

Joni

So they paid to listen to cars? I thought they paid to watch cars race, technology get pushed to its limits and drink alcohol. Perhaps I've been doing it wrong?

The noise is part of the charm, in a sport that has lost a lot of charm. So if I was an organiser paying millions, I'd be worried too, especially if I wasnt turning a profit like a too big amount of them.

Hasney

The new noise added a lot of charm, probably because hearing the crowd and the tyres squealing in pain made it much more enjoyable. Really hope they get laughed out of court with that stupid lawsuit.

DBT85

- KOB sorry mate, but when you know your tyres are unusually cold, you simply can´t drive like that.

It wasn't his fault

"The stewards determine that the incident was caused by a serious technical failure completely outside the control of the driver," read the stewards' report.

"The team is directed to work with the FIA technical delegate in determining the cause of the systems failure."

Ark

What was the air temperature at Albert Park on Sunday? I completely forgot that Malaysia and Bahrain will be like driving on the surface of the sun for these new power units.

Juicy Bob

Well, Westacott has always seemed to take Ecclestone's side with things before, so I struggle to take this on face value.

Hammer24

Banned
Well, Westacott has always seemed to take Ecclestone's side with things before, so I struggle to take this on face value.

Lauda talked about it a little. He said the easiest and fastest way to get the cars louder, would be to raise the exhaust diameter.
But that´d mean complete new engine software and performance maps, which would make this change very much cost prohibitive.
He said he´s no fan of the quieter sound as well, but in the end the easiest way to get back to old sound levels would be to simply get rid of the ear plugs.

mclem

Seriously? I quite liked being able to hear the crowd (particularly during qualification)

Short of hooking the engines up to some speakers, what could be done to make the cars louder?
Massive chavvy exhausts. Innit.

Timbuktu

I would be ok with the sound if we don't have to wear ear defenders anymore. The ear piercing engine sounds are a nice novelty for those going to a race for the first time, but I can enjoy the race without it.

Shaneus

Seriously? I quite liked being able to hear the crowd (particularly during qualification)
I don't think the crowd liked being able to hear the crowd though. I say that as a part of the crowd.

I'm curious to observe the effect of the quieter engines on tracks that don't traditionally have the majority of the crowd so close to the circuit (I think Spa is one? Maybe there aren't any and I'm just clueless). You honestly have no idea just how much quieter they are until you hear them in person. I went from needing my earplugs for the Porsche GT Cup and V8 Supercars to being able to take them out for the F1s (when previously the F1s were far noisier than both).

Hammer24

Banned
(I think Spa is one? Maybe there aren't any and I'm just clueless).

Nah, all the classic tracks, including Spa, have the spectators pretty close to the track. The newer Tilkes are somewhat different, but I´d venture to say that the typical crowd there would embrace the quieter sound.

The new noise added a lot of charm, probably because hearing the crowd and the tyres squealing in pain made it much more enjoyable. Really hope they get laughed out of court with that stupid lawsuit.

I really doubt that would make up for the loss of the car noise at the track for me to be honest. There's something truly special about being able to heard the wall of noise as you're walking to the track, building excitement before you get to your seat and are hit by the full force of it.

Main problem is that at 75% of the tracks we have now there simply wont be any crowd noise... which means there will be hardly any noise full stop.

itsgreen

I really doubt that would make up for the loss of the car noise at the track for me to be honest. There's something truly special about being able to heard the wall of noise as you're walking to the track, building excitement before you get to your seat and are hit by the full force of it.

Main problem is that at 75% of the tracks we have now there simply wont be any crowd noise... which means there will be hardly any noise full stop.

Funny thing is, the GP2 are probably louder now.

I fully agree that the almost pain in your ears when they roar right next to you is one of the appeals of going to F1. That rumble that echoes in your stomach..

That's exactly why the engineers asked for the rule of fuel flow restriction. Otherwise the cars would, thanks to the turbo, go up to 1500hp. And the engines wouldn´t hold for the whole season.

My takes on a fantastic GP:
- great drive by ROS, made no mistakes. If intelligence is needed to win this years WDC, he´s the front runner.
- gutted for RIC. He drove awesome. But in the end, only RBR are to blame, their arrogance finally came back to bite them in the ass. Let´s not forget, the FIA changed the fuel restriction rule from Friday to Saturday for RBR, the measurements were only taken half of the time now to get to an lower average. And they even got warned while the race was on (never heard this happening before). And RBR still choose to ignore them? Yeah.
- great comeback for MCL. Magnussen sensational, and BUT is one to watch as well for the season. He´s got the necessary intellect as well to constantly get his car far into the points.
- BOT drove great, but sadly not mistake free. Can´t wait for MAS to fight ALO on track. Oh, and MAS, its not cool to call for the ban of a fellow driver, just saying.
- FER unspectacular but reliable. I´d seriously had expected more from RAI, in the end he´s got a lot of experience drifting from rally. But it looks like he´s not able to concentrate a full race.
- FOI looking good. For a team that small they do a hell of a job.
- SAU in for a world of hurt. It´ll take a long time to get out of that hole.
- LOTLOL

Can´t wait for Malaysia! It´ll be a very different ballgame. All teams need to open up the car bodies to get more cooling going to compensate the much higher temperatures. And expect RBR to fall a bit more behind, not just because of the temps, but also for the loss of some HP from rule compliant fuel flow.

It is not. Especially with the pace advantage they have over the others. Button used his "intelligence," but that was also heavily reliant on good timing. That's why I think "intelligence" is overrated.

ROS's intelligence was clearly on standby on Saturday as he failed to clinch pole due to a mistake of his own

I don't know which is the lesser of two evils. Having races won and lost in the pit lane, or won or lost because there is so much needlessly complicated shit on the cars that they are likely to break down.

Then of course there is the tiresome verbal cock sucking that the Sky TV team constantly give Hamilton. Seemingly forgetting there are other British drivers on the grid, and of course other drivers there, period.

As soon as Rosberg crossed the line the commentators had to take the shine of it by immediately coming out with the "what ifs"....yeah, lets not give Rosberg credit for his win! Sigh.

I wish I could tune into another country's commentary so I could watch the race without the constant Hamilton references even when he is out of the race.

Hammer24

Banned
It is not. Especially with the pace advantage they have over the others. Button used his "intelligence," but that was also heavily reliant on good timing. That's why I think "intelligence" is overrated.

I beg to differ. Driving this years cars is not just a bigger challenge in car handling, you also have to go very clever about it. Judging fuel consumption, ERS etc. HAM is a hot blooded racer, I´m not sure he can handle it as good as ROS, albeit this first race gave of course no information. He can´t be blamed for the engine failure.

ROS's intelligence was clearly on standby on Saturday as he failed to clinch pole due to a mistake of his own

Making a mistake on the break doesn´t have too much to do with intelligence, no? Otherwise RAI´d be dumb as bread.

I wish I could tune into another country's commentary so I could watch the race without the constant Hamilton references even when he is out of the race.

If its any consolation, its just as worse in Germany with the constant VET references. Downplaying not just the other Germans (did SUT even get mentioned?), but RIC as well.

AdemoN

For me, watching at home, the biggest disappointment was the start of the race. I was kinda shocked that I couldn't hear the engines revving up as the lights went out. Really loved that huge roar from the V8s on the starting grid in previous years. Really built the tension up!

Shaneus

I highly recommend listening to BBC5 radio. I listened to it at the track via VPN on my iPhone and with the exception of the 10 second or so delay, it was perfect. Seemed far better than the closed-circuit one, at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom