• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT| Who Will Win? Nobody Nose

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know which is the lesser of two evils. Having races won and lost in the pit lane, or won or lost because there is so much needlessly complicated shit on the cars that they are likely to break down.

Then of course there is the tiresome verbal cock sucking that the Sky TV team constantly give Hamilton. Seemingly forgetting there are other British drivers on the grid, and of course other drivers there, period.

As soon as Rosberg crossed the line the commentators had to take the shine of it by immediately coming out with the "what ifs"....yeah, lets not give Rosberg credit for his win! Sigh.

I wish I could tune into another country's commentary so I could watch the race without the constant Hamilton references even when he is out of the race.

Maybe U should try the Dutch commentary ;) as we have no driver currently and it is pretty objective although not really great or accurate. But he's passionate:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69JUz9BDrXQ

For me, watching at home, the biggest disappointment was the start of the race. I was kinda shocked that I couldn't hear the engines revving up as the lights went out. Really loved that huge roar from the V8s on the starting grid in previous years. Really built the tension up!

Yeah, that was where my face started to contort a bit in disappointment. Maybe if whoever handles the coverage punches up the audio a bit it can be improved.

They sure do. And you have to be able to compute all this information and make the right choices while trying to control your slightly unstable car at 300+kph. ;)

Im not saying it doesnt take skill, but Im not sure what you mean by make the "right" choice as it relates to fuel consumption and ERS. The drivers are told which engine maps to use and how long to use them for, as we heard with Magnessen in the last few laps at Albert Park. Surely the "right" choices concerning fuel/ERS boils down to listening to the pitwall or ignoring it.
I would think that tyre degradation is a much more interesting strategic factor as far as the driver himself is concerned, but that's been always been the case.

pants

After getting a resounding zero for the league i've decided to not participate anymore. This just doesnt seem half as fun as predicting the results, sorry.

Hammer24

Banned
Im not saying it doesnt take skill, but Im not sure what you mean by make the "right" choice as it relates to fuel consumption and ERS. The drivers are told which engine maps to use and how long to use them for, as we heard with Magnessen in the last few laps at Albert Park. Surely the "right" choices concerning fuel/ERS boils down to listening to the pitwall or ignoring it.
I would think that tyre degradation is a much more interesting strategic factor as far as the driver himself is concerned, but that's been always been the case.

I´m mainly going by what ROS said after the Friday FP´s race simulations. He said he had constant info what his fuel consumption is, and if that is on his target window or not. He said that slight variations in driving changed this a lot, so he had to monitor this constantly. He said you really have to think about overtaking someone, or alternately wait a lap or two, saving fuel in the slipstream, and overtake later. You have to be calculating all the time.
And on the other hand we do have drivers, that would in the heat of the moment forget all about it to put a knife between their teeth to fight wheel to wheel.
Maybe I worded it badly, I just think when all is done and counted in this years WDC, the cooler heads will prevail.

DieH@rd

Banned
I really feel sorry for Ricciardo, with such a good race in his home country, to get disqualified because his team's just a bunch of idiots.

He had good race because he had unfair advantage. Rules are rules, exclusion was justified.

Now we wait to see results of appeal.

DD

Massa must be frustrated as hell. I feel really sorry for him. The ban request was in the heat of the moment, and he didn't knew Kobayashi had a problem by that time. Guy can't catch a break...

About that thing with the car noises and the organizers of the Melboune GP, good, now let's go back to Adelaide. >:D

He had good race because he had unfair advantage. Rules are rules, exclusion was justified.

Now we wait to see results of appeal.
We dont know the extent of the advantage he gained going over the fuel rate limit. But if RBR can prove that they gained no unfair advantage, even though the rule was violated, the driver may be able to keep his points. For sure though, RBR will not be getting any constructors points.

Hammer24

Banned
We dont know the extent of the advantage he gained going over the fuel rate limit. But if RBR can prove that they gained no unfair advantage, even though the rule was violated, the driver may be able to keep his points. For sure though, RBR will not be getting any constructors points.

More fuel flow means more hp. RBR can´t prove they had no unfair advantage, they can only try to prove the FIA´s sensors to be faulty, while their own ones were right. Which might be hard to do, as they had trouble with their own sensors all winter long.

DBT85

Then dont hold teams to a draconian 5 engines per season limit.

Who would you like to pay for these extra engines? The sport cannot afford to go back to the days of using as many as you wanted. We'd only have Ferrari, Red Bull, McLaren and Mercedes in the series in that case.

Times change and the sport has to adapt with those times, as it has for 50 years.

Well, they cannot prove that he got no advantage. More fuel means an advantage was gained somewhere. They were told to change it and didn't and then used their own calculation without permission from the stewards which is also against the regs.

Juicy Bob

Massa must be frustrated as hell. I feel really sorry for him. The ban request was in the heat of the moment, and he didn't knew Kobayashi had a problem by that time. Guy can't catch a break...

About that thing with the car noises and the organizers of the Melboune GP, good, now let's go back to Adelaide. >:D
Nah, as good as the Adelaide GP was, I think my fellow South Aussies are quite happy with the Clipsal, thank you very much! :p

DBT85

I did terribly. Only got 4/8.

I only got 3. The 1.6 Turbo, the V8 and the Veyron.

The V10 and the V12 I had the wrong way around.

Also just checked, only got 3.4m to spend in the fantasy league, forgot to put a Quali time in! Already set one for Malaysia lol.

I beg to differ. Driving this years cars is not just a bigger challenge in car handling, you also have to go very clever about it. Judging fuel consumption, ERS etc. HAM is a hot blooded racer, I´m not sure he can handle it as good as ROS, albeit this first race gave of course no information. He can´t be blamed for the engine failure.

Making a mistake on the break doesn´t have too much to do with intelligence, no? Otherwise RAI´d be dumb as bread.

If its any consolation, its just as worse in Germany with the constant VET references. Downplaying not just the other Germans (did SUT even get mentioned?), but RIC as well.

Why is Hamilton always getting shortchanged here? He handled the change to the Pirelli just fine (when people were predicting his demise/rise of the smooth and intelligent drivers like Button).

Why is ROS deemed cerebral/intelligent and HAM not? AFAIK, HAM did outrace ROS over the course of the season last year with a car that had terrible race pace (so more "managing" required) and that ROS had 3 extra years of familiarity with the chassis.

I think this is way overblown and believe that, as usual, talent will shine through.

At this point, the only advantage ROS has over HAM is more familiarity in race pace/management, given his 2 extra race simulations in testing, FP1 simulation and actual race. We saw on pure pace that HAM was there despite lack of running in Melbourne and during the winter relative to ROS.

Anyway, we will see - I have a strong feeling that people shortchanging HAM will end up eating crow.

Hammer24

Banned
Why is Hamilton always getting shortchanged here?

I´m certainly the last person who wants to shortchange HAM. He has amazing talent, and has proven this time and again.
Yet I think its obvious that there are differences between him and ROS, where I´d put ROS more in the cerebral and HAM more in the emotional corner. But this is no black and white judgment, but a nuance in the comparison of these two.
And I absolutely agree, over the course of a full season the cream will rise to the top.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Rosberg: fastest lap of the race on lap 19 (1:32.478)

Bottas: second fastest lap of the race on lap 56 (1:32.568)

Alonso: third fastest lap of the race on lap 56 (1:32.616)

RoKKeR

Hello F1GAF! First time posting here as this last weekend was the first time I've followed a GP from P1 to finish. My brother and I were sort of casual F1 fans, played a bunch of F1 2012, etc. but we decided this year to try and follow it the whole season through.

Loving all of the drama surrounding the first race. Bummed that Ricciardo got DQ'd but rules are rules. I'm also sort of pulling for Williams to do well this year (mmmhmmm Martini) so it was fun to see such a great drive from Bottas despite the grid penalty and hitting the wall.

All and all it was a great way to spend the weekend and I can't wait for the next one!

DBT85 said:
Who would you like to pay for these extra engines? The sport cannot afford to go back to the days of using as many as you wanted. We'd only have Ferrari, Red Bull, McLaren and Mercedes in the series in that case.

I dont understand these talking points about costs when the costs of overhauling everything for the new formula were enormous anyway. if the goal is cutting costs, then give the less wealthy teams a choice about what type of engine they want, and fix the engine regs around turbos and normally aspirated cars

But of course that didnt happen because FIA's main goal was about marketing F1 as an eco-friendly sport. (as if the sort of fans that would watch F1 are just burning with rage about excess CO2 emissions) As for this talk of F1 technology being compatible with roads cars: Im sure there will be a few cars that roll out such tech, (doesnt La Ferrari use Kers? gee, what an affordable car for the family)but let's not pretend that car manufacturers will be mass producing a car like that for the next 15-20 years.

ramparter

Banned
Pretty sure we are talking about very minor offset, 0.1% - 0.2% at most, I don't think this could give him any serious advantage.

Hammer24

Banned
Pretty sure we are talking about very minor offset, 0.1% - 0.2% at most, I don't think this could give him any serious advantage.

We don´t know, but it could be a lot higher when the turbo is on.
I think we´ll see some effect next race, when they can´t use this anymore.

TylerD

Being green in racing is kind of funny when the actual race cars have by far the least impact on the environment over a race weekend. If F1 or any other racing series wanted to truly be green they would outlaw spectator attendance.

I'm kidding of course.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
About pole time, from F1manager FAQ
The pole time allows you to estimate the pole position time of the Q3 qualification. When you fill in the pole time very accuratly you can earn some extra budget for the race. You don't get any points for it.

When guessing the pole time very accuratly you can earn some serious extra budget:
Difference in ms - Budget
0 - 10.000.000
<11 - 2.000.000
<51 - 1.500.000
<101 - 1.000.000
<201 - 750.000
<301 - 500.000
<401 - 250.000
<501 - 100.000

If you are off more than half second you don't earn any extra money.

DBT85

I dont understand these talking points about costs when the costs of overhauling everything for the new formula were enormous anyway. if the goal is cutting costs, then give the less wealthy teams a choice about what type of engine they want, and fix the engine regs around turbos and normally aspirated cars

But of course that didnt happen because FIA's main goal was about marketing F1 as an eco-friendly sport. (as if the sort of fans that would watch F1 are just burning with rage about excess CO2 emissions) As for this talk of F1 technology being compatible with roads cars: Im sure there will be a few cars that roll out such tech, (doesnt La Ferrari use Kers? gee, what an affordable car for the family)but let's not pretend that car manufacturers will be mass producing a car like that for the next 15-20 years.

They could have kept the engines they had, but they wanted to try and entice the VAG group into the fray and the sponsors want to be seen to be sponsoring green motorsport even if they make a ton more emissions just getting to the races.

I don't think we'll ever have a split engine formula ever again and I doubt it was ever even considered as an option.

As far as the engine technology, more cars are being sold now with either turbos, supercharces or in the VAG groups case, twincharged variants. My car is a 1.8 turbo and if bought the new version it'd be a 1.4 twin charged unit which was the replacement engine in the line.

As for the rest of the energy recovery stuff, I've no idea when it'll appear more in normal cars. Regardless, they've gone with these units, they won't be going back to the old ones.

Nothing stopping someone making a new formula with V12 20,000 RPM engines.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Rosberg: fastest lap of the race on lap 19 (1:32.478)

Bottas: second fastest lap of the race on lap 56 (1:32.568)

Alonso: third fastest lap of the race on lap 56 (1:32.616)
That's not an encouraging sign for the other teams.
I reckon without safety car, Rosberg could easily have won by 50 seconds.

No tyre issues too it seems, went on a long 2nd stint without any problems like last year.

Think about it this way, if there was no serious advantage, why did they ignore the FIA warnings?

Hubris. they probably thought a minuscule advantage, which is probably what it was, wouldnt result in a DQ because theyre RBR and hot shit.

Nothing stopping someone making a new formula with V12 20,000 RPM engines.
and when the FIA in 8 years try to ram 4 cylinder engines down everyone's throat, I hope the works teams split off and do just that

DD

Nah, as good as the Adelaide GP was, I think my fellow South Aussies are quite happy with the Clipsal, thank you very much! :p

Toca games made me love Adelaide. I was never a fan of Melbourne circuit, but it is a fine looker. Aussies should try to convince Bernie to race in Bathurst >:D

malyce

Why is Hamilton always getting shortchanged here? He handled the change to the Pirelli just fine (when people were predicting his demise/rise of the smooth and intelligent drivers like Button).

Why is ROS deemed cerebral/intelligent and HAM not? AFAIK, HAM did outrace ROS over the course of the season last year with a car that had terrible race pace (so more "managing" required) and that ROS had 3 extra years of familiarity with the chassis.

I think this is way overblown and believe that, as usual, talent will shine through.

At this point, the only advantage ROS has over HAM is more familiarity in race pace/management, given his 2 extra race simulations in testing, FP1 simulation and actual race. We saw on pure pace that HAM was there despite lack of running in Melbourne and during the winter relative to ROS.

Anyway, we will see - I have a strong feeling that people shortchanging HAM will end up eating crow.

It's hilarious, from his "not so intelligent" driving style to his "rapper hats" lol, the fuck is a rapper hat?

This is Nico's 2nd win due to a Lewis retirement
jz6zqSH.png
It's only the first race of the season. Nico was in total control throughout, with no one to keep him honest. Lewis finally has a car that can win the title and a team that's not constantly trying to sabotage him every race. Lot's of people are gonna be eating crow at the end of this season. Not taking nothing away from Nico as it could go either way, especially with Lewis' luck, but let's not act his driving is any more intelligent.

So did people really think a lot of that race then? My missus fell asleep about half an hour in and to be honest I was having more fun chatting about various bits and bobs on the internet than I was watching the action.

Seems like aside from Bottas nothing really happened past the first 10 laps. Had he not screwed up his tyre then he would have likely found a slot around 4th and we'd have probably heard no more from him.

Noticed exactly the same problems as last year to be honest. One car storming away at the front, a lot of other cars catching each other and then driving in procession because they lacked the straight line speed to pass.

DBT85

I would crave some Formula Nostalgic with the high revving v10/v12's. I have never been able to hear them in real-life ;'(

If you are in the UK, try and get to the Goodwood Festival of Speed. You'll hear the whole damned lot. Great day out too.

No idea if similar events are else elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom