• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT| Who Will Win? Nobody Nose

Status
Not open for further replies.

BearPawB

Banned
First race i have ever seriously watched.
Enjoyed it.

Sad about that DQ, the driver seemed so legitimately happy.
Even if redbull was correct about the sensors, they had to know that disobeying direct orders would have consequences.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
I wonder how will lunch look like tomorrow in Wolff family - Toto probably locks his computer like crazy :D

itsgreen

@wtf1couk said:
Missed this gem
Bi3AgJWCcAA1MhE.jpg:large

;)

Nicktendo86

Red Bull say they are absolutely sure that from their measurements from the injectors sure they were bang on the fuel flow rate and they told the FIA this before, during and after the race. Given that Whiting said before the race the injector readings would be used for confirmation in the event of a fuel flow issue then you've got to wonder if that's true although the delay in the decision would indicate that it probably was (If the injectors showed them using over the rate it wouldn't have taken 4 hours to come up with a decision). The issue here seems to be not that Red Bull actually used more than the allowed fuel flow, the data from the injectors themselves would indicate that very quickly, but that the FIA backup model they switch to when the flow rate sensor is broken indicates that they did and they deviated from that model without permission.

No one comes out of this with any credit, the FIA have produced a dodgy fuel flow sensor. Red Bull have showed their typical arrogance, although I'd have some sympathy if their data is correct and they're actually under the limit. It's motor racing and you shouldn't be turning down performance unless there is an absolute reason for it.
I WOULD also sympathise with them if not for the fact everyone else had to use these sensors and some teams erred on the side of causion by going well under the flow limit. RB did not have permission to go by their own calculations and of course not, what team can use their own measurements to say their car complies with the regs? The FIA have to be hard in this, if they want this fuel flow limit rule to continue to be in the regs.

Guys, who will be the first car to DNF tomorrow? I say one of duo Grosjean/Maldonado

I expect they'll be relatively safe through the 1/2 due to being at the back, and the chances of contact happening through 1/2 are really bloody high. I'm expect at the very least for Krazy K to twat someone through there - although whether he's the one to retire from it is anyone's guess.

We may well be in need for a slow mo replay to ascertain who's car actually dies first, it could be that hectic.

WHAT DO I WIN?

I don't understand why Red Bull didn't change their settings when they were given a chance to do so? The FIA could have disqualified them at once but gave them a chance and they didn't take it.

Even if you know you're right you should probably do what the people in charge tell you to. Imagine a football player that gets a red card but says: "No, when you look at the replay after the match you will see that you are wrong so I'll keep playing".

kmag

I WOULD also sympathise with them if not for the fact everyone else had to use these sensors and some teams erred on the side of causion by going well under the flow limit. RB did not have permission to go by their own calculations and of course not, what team can use their own measurements to say their car complies with the regs? The FIA have to be hard in this, if they want this fuel flow limit rule to continue to be in the regs.

Their own calculations seem to be telemetry from the fuel injectors which Charlie Whiting had said would be used to back up the fuel flow sensor if anyone was found to be in breach of the rule. It's a bit rich for the FIA to say that and then presumably ignore that information, if you believe Red Bull story that the information from their injectors was that they were in line with the regs.

Of course if the FIA could produce a sensor which reliably measured something as simple as fuel rate this wouldn't be an issue at all. If they can't and they're asking teams to apply offsets to correct their shitty sensors then there's far too much roll of the dice hoping the piece of shit sensor they give doesn't give you a reading so out of whack they'll ask to apply a massive offset to ensure you're under a number you might already be at. In fact I'd go so far to say until the FIA can produce a reliable sensor they can't apply the rule at all.

Either the injectors showed RB over the limit or they didn't, if they didn't then the FIA are being a bit silly and if they did we wouldn't be talking about backup models and offsets. And I doubt it would have taken 4 hours to work out the data from the fuel injectors. The FIA are essentially saying RB ran the fuel flow too high because their backup model says that they did and that the team doesn't have the scope to deviate from that model without permission despite the FIA previously saying that the data from the fuel injectors would be considered.

dubc35

I'm not sure why the FIA doesn't just supply fuel flow restrictors. That would probably be too easy though.

Any news on Schumi?

Nicktendo86

At the end of the day the rule says they need explicit permission to use their own measurements rather than the FIA one. Yes it looms like the sensors are shit, but it is the same equipment for everyone and teams can't just decide to ignore instructions, it sets a terrible precedent.

kmag

I don't understand why Red Bull didn't change their settings when they were given a chance to do so? The FIA could have disqualified them at once but gave them a chance and they didn't take it.

Even if you know you're right you should probably do what the people in charge tell you to. Imagine a football player that gets a red card but says: "No, when you look at the replay after the match you will see that you are wrong so I'll keep playing".

Because their telemetry from their fuel injectors said that they were compliant, and Charlie Whiting had at the start of the weekend said that data from the fuel injectors would be used to backup the data from the sensor.

"We are confident of the [fuel flow measuring] meter's accuracy. It will always be correlated with data we have from injectors to make sure there is not a wide divergence, but from what we have seen so far that will not be the case."

In this case you have RB saying the injectors show them in compliance and the FIA saying you can't use that information to calculate your fuel flow, you have to use our defined backup model for calculation, but of course if the fuel flow sensor had showed you over the limit we'd use the information from the injectors you have to ignore to hang you.

mclem

One of the most exciting final podiums in years, that. But I'm a little distressed by how apparently easily the Merc scampered away. Without wishing them too much ill-will, some early unreliability will keep the season interesting.

mclem

Sky team bringing up Jensons father during an interview is such a cheap thing to do.

The BBC did as well, but in an indirect fashion. Jenson didn't seem terribly affronted by their approach, at least.

Really happy the McLaren isn't an utter dog this season, but they need to keep their nose tips on better.

I dunno, that might be quite pleasant in Bahrain!

come back and be a man, seattle.

My opinion is never going to be well received. Rear brakes problem or not, he's still a shit driver in a sport that has already went through some dark ages considering paid drivers. Now we have those teams that have no business being in an F1 race because Bernie promissed smaller budgets, couldn't deliver, and now Caterham and Marussia are still just running bilboards instead of racing cars.

Kamui is no different than Maldonado, Grosjean, Gutierrez, Perez or the Schiatarellas, Young, Inoue, Bereta, Tarquini, and so on.

Maybe my "rage" is due to the fact that i hate seeing rich kids getting a spot instead of talented drivers. It's a problem in motorsports in general, and i know that even the good drivers have to be extremely rich, but it doesn't change the fact that i hate those situations, specially when they are so obvious like in this one. A paid driver running on a team that has no purpose of winning, is only there for advertisment.

These shitboxes shouldn't even be there, so maybe i should replace my anger and direct at Caterham.

Megasoum

Banned
Great first GP.

Something I noticed... It was probably different in other parts of the world but on RDS (french Canadian tv) there was absolutely zero mentions of Schumi all week-end. I was surprised to not see more messages on the cars or during the interviews.

Juicy Bob

My opinion is never going to be well received. Rear brakes problem or not, he's still a shit driver in a sport that has already went through some dark ages considering paid drivers. Now we have those teams that have no business being in an F1 race because Bernie promissed smaller budgets, couldn't deliver, and now Caterham and Marussia are still just running bilboards instead of racing cars.

Kamui is no different than Maldonado, Grosjean, Gutierrez, Perez or the Schiatarellas, Young, Inoue, Bereta, Tarquini, and so on.

Maybe my "rage" is due to the fact that i hate seeing rich kids getting a spot instead of talented drivers. It's a problem in motorsports in general, and i know that even the good drivers have to be extremely rich, but it doesn't change the fact that i hate those situations, specially when they are so obvious like in this one. A paid driver running on a team that has no purpose of winning, is only there for advertisment.

These shitboxes shouldn't even be there, so maybe i should replace my anger and direct at Caterham.
But Kobayashi has never been a pay driver. He had support from Toyota right at the beginning, but then they bailed out and he was left entirely on his own with no big backer or any real financial help at all.

I don't know how you can throw Kobayashi in with Gutierrez or Inoue or Chilton. He got a podium in a bloody Sauber! And that wasn't a fluke either, that was on merit.

Draconian

So basically we should only have about 5 teams out there then, because outside of about 10 drivers, nobody else does have a chance of winning. Or am I missing your point here?

EDIT: Kamui and Perez both have gotten on the podium before too.

Ark

Completely unjustified rage. Good drivers don't have to be rich either, a lot of good drivers came from nothing/family sold every major asset they had.

tm24

Man, the Ricciardo drama after i went to sleep bummed me out. All this drama outside the race is just as riveting as the race itself. So great.

duckroll

Wow. I can't believe this happened to Ricciardo. Just doesn't seem fair for the guy. Still, it shows how much of a team sport F1 is rather than just a driver's race. I kinda hope that they didn't actually violate any rules and it was a technical error somewhere that gets overturned in an appeal, but... probably not. :(

AcridMeat

Banned
Just got home from watching the race. Now I hear that Ricciardo was DQ'd. Fucking sucks man.

Apart from Hamilton and Kobayashi it was a pretty good race. I loved seeing Bottas, Magnussen and Hulkenberg doing well.

Kimi shit the bed. Something tells me this is going to be the story of the season for him, but maybe he can get used to the cars.

Nicktendo86

Wow. I can't believe this happened to Ricciardo. Just doesn't seem fair for the guy. Still, it shows how much of a team sport F1 is rather than just a driver's race. I kinda hope that they didn't actually violate any rules and it was a technical error somewhere that gets overturned in an appeal, but... probably not. :(
They violated the rules going by their own measurements for fuel flow and completely ignoring instructions to reduce fuel flow in an act of utter arrogance. Really sucks for Riccardo but they HAD to DQ him.

They violated the rules going by their own measurements for fuel flow and completely ignoring instructions to reduce fuel flow in an act of utter arrogance. Really sucks for Riccardo but they HAD to DQ him.

Somehow I have to wonder if they would have had the same problem with Vettel's car, if it had lasted longer. I wouldn't be surprised if Ricciardo got Webber's luck after all.

Nicktendo86

Somehow I have to wonder if they would have had the same problem with Vettel's car, if it had lasted longer. I wouldn't be surprised if Ricciardo got Webber's luck after all.
Well apparently there were 'problems' with the fuel flow on Vettel's car as well. I really think RB were trying to pull a fast one here.

The actual story is a lot more complicated. There's an excellent explanation of it all in a post I read earlier, but I'm struggling to find it again.

The short answer is that the FIA really, REALLY need to find a reliable, accurate, calibrateable sensor or there are going to be arguments about this all season.

Ryne

1896795_677439262291183_1551287782_n.jpg

Brilliant.
Lol.
The actual story is a lot more complicated. There's an excellent explanation of it all in a post I read earlier, but I'm struggling to find it again.

The short answer is that the FIA really, REALLY need to find a reliable, accurate, calibrateable sensor or there are going to be arguments about this all season.
I seen similar posts, and I definitly agree that the FIA needs reliable sensors, they are the governing body!

However, every other team played by the rules and followed the FIA's guidance, screwed up sensors or not. Red Bull shouldn't escape penalty when they were told they were outside the FIA's guidance. Just follow and try to fix their problems after the race.

Not disagreeing about the penalty, it was a stupid risk to take. Just stating that there's a lot more to this than the surface "told they were using too much fuel, continued anyway".

I'm honestly surprised that he was able to keep his job longer than Whitmarsh.

Either Stefano has some pictures of Luca at that Mosley Nazi sex party or Luca is an even bigger idiot than Stefano.

How can everybody outsmart them year in, year out and absolutly nothing changes.

MrKaepora

Poor Ricciardo. He seems a nice guy and it's too harsh for him being desqualified racing in his homeland, but rules are rules.

As a fan of the sport however, I'm enjoying all this drama at the start of a season. I got quickly tired of last season dominance from RBR, as I was really tired of Ferrari dominance in the Shumacher period. It's good for the sport that almost every team in the circuit this season it's struggling to find the right pace.

And that Williams looks really good and with two drivers that give confidence. Kudos to them.

f0rk

I think we're still on for that Vettel recovery in the back half of the season and he just gets there because of double points in the last race

Klocker

Great start to the season. Love it!

too bad for the DQ but otherwise a new day is upon us... Hopefully more interesting races ahead

TheD

The Detective
Why do they even have a fuel flow limit in the first place?

I do not see what it adds over something like being DQed if you do not have enough fuel to finish the race and get back into the pits (which falls completely on the shoulders of the team and driver).

But Kobayashi has never been a pay driver. He had support from Toyota right at the beginning, but then they bailed out and he was left entirely on his own with no big backer or any real financial help at all.

I don't know how you can throw Kobayashi in with Gutierrez or Inoue or Chilton. He got a podium in a bloody Sauber! And that wasn't a fluke either, that was on merit.

So basically we should only have about 5 teams out there then, because outside of about 10 drivers, nobody else does have a chance of winning. Or am I missing your point here?

EDIT: Kamui and Perez both have gotten on the podium before too.

It's not always about winning. Marussia and Caterham are not competing on anything. It's like the old Coloni, Larrousse, Footwork and similar, they are just billboards. Teams like Sauber or STR are always fighting for points and a better finish... Marussia and Caterham are completely clueless. I'm sorry, but they would only work if F1 had some sort of a low end budget cap that allowed poor teams to have a chance.

As i said, it's not a popular opinion. About Kamui I'll give you that he's a lot better than Inoue or Gutierrez, that was me being harsh.

Completely unjustified rage. Good drivers don't have to be rich either, a lot of good drivers came from nothing/family sold every major asset they had.

Now this is something i'm quite comfortable to say... you have to be very rich to get into motorsports. Maybe it's different in the country you live, but even kart races on a national level are extremely expensive (speaking from a Latin american POV). Then when you have to go to Europe, shit goes to astronomical levels were you need millions and millions just to compete.

I remember some stories about how Piquet, Mansell and some others got in, but there's a lot of things missing in those stories. They love to say here in Brazil that Piquet went to Europe with only "his guts" when in fact his family was ruling the country during a dictatorship (his grampa was one of the highest officials in the military).

Even the families that have stories of "we sold everything for him to succeed" like Castroneves story, it means you had a lot of business to sell. It has never been a sport that average people can get into, anyone who has been close to the sport knows it. Talent or not, you got to have a lot of money to play.

Nicktendo86

Why do they even have a fuel flow limit in the first place?

I do not see what it adds over something like being DQed if you do not have enough fuel to finish the race and get back into the pits (which falls completely on the shoulders of the team and driver).
It is to reign in performance apparently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom