• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT| Who Will Win? Nobody Nose

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has a raw mechanical sound, love the spinning turbo, and you can actuallynhear other things like the tyres and crowd. More atmospheric than the engine drowning everything out IMHO.

You only really pick up the turbo on the onboard, which admittedly is better than it used to be, especially for team radio.

That crowd thing is going to be a negative for most races. There are only a handful of races on the calendar that have a good quantity of passionate fans.

Sound plays an important role in my life... It's part of my profession, related to some of my hobbies and even my son's name includes the Japanese character for sound '音'. Therefore, I'm probably quite biased and far more pro-sound than your average man on the street. Feeling your internal organs vibrate as the screaming engines zoom passed was the reason for attending an f1 race and was something that could only ever be experienced in person. TV was no substitute.

I doubt I'll be going now though, as watching at home seems the much better option for audiophiles like myself.

Thankfully, if I need my organs shook, there's always the f5000s, which are louder and throatier than even the ol' f1 v8s :)

Shaneus

Sound plays an important role in my life... It's part of my profession, related to some of my hobbies and even my son's name includes the Japanese character for sound '音'. Therefore, I'm probably quite biased and far more pro-sound than your average man on the street. Feeling your internal organs vibrate as the screaming engines zoom passed was the reason for attending an f1 race and was something that could only ever be experienced in person. TV was no substitute.
I'm very much a sound guy, too. brofist.gif

DBT85

So with sound being such a big deal, how much are the viewing figures going to go down this year from last?

I'm guessing they'll go up.

Not sure what people expect them to do for this year. No way they drop the engines and putting bigger exhausts on will cost them all a lot for new maps and so on.

Tubie

They will figure something out if this becomes a real issue ($$$). They can't change the engines this year but something will give if they start to lose TV ratings or ticket sales.

Ark

Sound has never been the attraction of F1. Yes it has a big association, but it was merely a side-benefit. We've been getting closer to these quiet engines for years, from the V12's, to 10's to the 8's and now these beasts. One of the big problems we might face now or further down the line is the engines being so quiet that the drivers can't hear the other cars around them. They had a similar problem in LMP1 when Audi switched to diesel.

EDIT: Attraction might be the wrong word. But we should be embracing this new technology, not lamenting to loss of a few decibels.

TCRS

Banned
1390768_594485940628497_1864371505_n.jpg

Juicy Bob

I would probably pine more for the sound if it wasn't for the fact that these new engines are just incredible.

Less cylinders and less capacity, but more fuel efficient, more ERS (the cars are basically semi-powered by THEMSELVES), turbo-charged, incredibly high torque (dat squireling) and all together not that far off the pace of last year's cars.

Formula 1 is finally leading the way in technology once again and no longer using V8 N/A tech that's rooted in the 20th Century. I love that.

itsgreen

Sound has never been the attraction of F1. Yes it has a big association, but it was merely a side-benefit. We've been getting closer to these quiet engines for years, from the V12's, to 10's to the 8's and now these beasts. One of the big problems we might face now or further down the line is the engines being so quiet that the drivers can't hear the other cars around them. They had a similar problem in LMP1 when Audi switched to diesel.

EDIT: Attraction might be the wrong word. But we should be embracing this new technology, not lamenting to loss of a few decibels.

Someone has never seen F1 in real life...

Ark

Someone has never seen F1 in real life...

I've been stood 5m away from the V10 cars, believe me I know how incredible they sound in person, but I don't let the incredible sound distort the reality of where F1 has to go.

I would probably pine more for the sound if it wasn't for the fact that these new engines are just incredible.

Less cylinders and less capacity, but more fuel efficient, more ERS (the cars are basically semi-powered by THEMSELVES), turbo-charged, incredibly high torque (dat squireling) and all together not that far off the pace of last year's cars.

Formula 1 is finally leading the way in technology once again and no longer using V8 N/A tech that's rooted in the 20th Century. I love that.

ramparter

Banned
Men, I like the new sound. Has a raw mechanical sound, love the spinning turbo, and you can actuallynhear other things like the tyres and crowd. More atmospheric than the engine drowning everything out IMHO.

Edit: and he would say that, his car has sounded like a broken dyson all winter.
He is just a loser who doesn't like it when he loses.

Men, I like the new sound. Has a raw mechanical sound, love the spinning turbo, and you can actuallynhear other things like the tyres and crowd. More atmospheric than the engine drowning everything out IMHO.

Edit: and he would say that, his car has sounded like a broken dyson all winter.

Well, the broken part sounds right.

Hammer24

Banned
I always found the sound of the shifting gears way more impressive than the engine sounds (which degraded a lot since I started watching).

Zeknurn

Leading drivers Sam Bird, Jarno Trulli, Nick Heidfeld and Jérôme d'Ambrosio have today (19 March) added their names to the burgeoning Formula E Drivers’ Club and in doing so showing their support for the new global electric racing series.

Launched in January, the new scheme features a pool of top, international names that all officially endorse the new FIA Formula E Championship and have expressed a willingness to race in the future.
http://www.fiaformulae.com/news/trulli-bird-heidfeld-Ambrosio-join-drivers-club

Nicktendo86

You only really pick up the turbo on the onboard, which admittedly is better than it used to be, especially for team radio.

That crowd thing is going to be a negative for most races. There are only a handful of races on the calendar that have a good quantity of passionate fans.

That's true, all the shit like Abu Dhabi will probably feel like the atmosphere has been sucked out, but places like Monza and Britain will be great.

Hammer24

Banned
AMuS did some in depth regarding the fuel flow meter, and RBR´s problems with it.
Quick and dirty translation of the important points:
- without restriction, cars would go up to 1500hp, and the engines would last for one lap
- the fuel flow meter is inside the tank
- the manufacturer Gill says they have a tolerance of .25%, which would be within the rules
- but being in the tank, those meters are within high vibrations and temperature, so there could be variations
- Merc was over the limit on Friday as well, got warned, and reduced to the FIA mandated rates
- RBR was over the limit on Friday
- due to the problems, FIA decided to reduce test frequency from ten times per second to five times per second for all teams (on Friday evening)
- the algorithm checks at 10500rpm, and compares all data over and under the limit. If those balance out, no alarm is raised
- after Fridays problems, RBR asked FIA for new meters. Those were fit into the car the night Friday to Saturday. Additionally, RBR changed the softwares engine maps.
- on Saturday, RBR was again over the limit, and had less power than Friday
- they say 40% of this power loss was due to the meters
- both the Friday and the Saturday used meters differed, from what readings RBR got from their own sensors
- they complained with FIA, and were allowed to build back to Fridays meters
- but of course those meters showed the same data they showed on Friday
- after this, FIA ordered them to go by that data, and ignore their own readings, like the other teams had to do as well (!)
- they warned RBR twice in qualifying
- the first race warning was given in lap five (!)
- Charlie Whiting: Had they reacted then, we wouldn´t have penalized them
- remaining questions:
-- Why didn´t RBR listen? Maybe they shed some light on this on their hearing.
-- Why is only RBR this bad off, and not the other Ren engine users? Is their car so much more vibrating, and/or getting hot?

Nicktendo86

Yeah I don't see how anyone can have any sympathy for RB. They were in the same boat as everyone. If their car vibrates and gets hotter than other cars and affects the sensors more, that is their problem. They have to build a car that conforms to the rules.

If their car vibrates and gets hotter than other cars and affects the sensors more, that is their problem. They have to build a car that conforms to the rules.
If heat and vibrations can cause misreadings to occur, then I'm sure teams will look into ways of using those misreadings to their advantage. There may be certain oscillation frequencies and temperatures that cause the meters under-read. I wouldn't put it past them.

Hammer24

Banned
If heat and vibrations can cause misreadings to occur, then I'm sure teams will look into ways of using those misreadings to their advantage. There may be certain oscillation frequencies and temperatures that cause the meters under-read. I wouldn't put it past them.

Trust me, if they´d be able to control the vibrations and temperatures so much, they´d make good use to reduce both.

Dilly

Banned
AMuS did some in depth regarding the fuel flow meter, and RBR´s problems with it.
Quick and dirty translation of the important points:
- without restriction, cars would go up to 1500hp, and the engines would last for one lap
- the fuel flow meter is inside the tank
- the manufacturer Gill says they have a tolerance of .25%, which would be within the rules
- but being in the tank, those meters are within high vibrations and temperature, so there could be variations
- Merc was over the limit on Friday as well, got warned, and reduced to the FIA mandated rates
- RBR was over the limit on Friday
- due to the problems, FIA decided to reduce test frequency from ten times per second to five times per second for all teams (on Friday evening)
- the algorithm checks at 10500rpm, and compares all data over and under the limit. If those balance out, no alarm is raised
- after Fridays problems, RBR asked FIA for new meters. Those were fit into the car the night Friday to Saturday. Additionally, RBR changed the softwares engine maps.
- on Saturday, RBR was again over the limit, and had less power than Friday
- they say 40% of this power loss was due to the meters
- both the Friday and the Saturday used meters differed, from what readings RBR got from their own sensors
- they complained with FIA, and were allowed to build back to Fridays meters
- but of course those meters showed the same data they showed on Friday
- after this, FIA ordered them to go by that data, and ignore their own readings, like the other teams had to do as well (!)
- they warned RBR twice in qualifying
- the first race warning was given in lap five (!)
- Charlie Whiting: Had they reacted then, we wouldn´t have penalized them
- remaining questions:
-- Why didn´t RBR listen? Maybe they shed some light on this on their hearing.
-- Why is only RBR this bad off, and not the other Ren engine users? Is their car so much more vibrating, and/or getting hot?

They were arrogant and it bit them in the ass.

mclem

Perfect, now completely drop the flow restrictions and allow engine change during pit stops :p

Nah. No engine change, just: "Five times this season, you can use a 'super overtake' button on the final lap". Is there any penalty if an engine gives out *after* the chequered flag?

ramparter

Banned
Nah. No engine change, just: "Five times this season, you can use a 'super overtake' button on the final lap". Is there any penalty if an engine gives out *after* the chequered flag?
No but currently you are allowed only 5 engines for the whole season.

Maybe just for the last race (with the double points) they could allow teams to use a new engine, and there would no fuel flow restriction. It would be completel up to them to determine how much they can push the engine enough to last for the race. So you want to push to make the most of the double points advantage but you also don't want to retire knowing your opponents will gain double points...
That would be a really random and interesting race...

DBT85

Only if you use a 6th.

There is no inherent penalty for an engine popping. The penalty comes when you use a 6th one. This season there are 6 different components that comprise the Power Unit. Each one you can use upto 5 of, mixed and matched.

McNum

Well, if they need to cars to sound more aggressive and louder, they could fit Stuka Sirens on them. They actually kind of sound like an F1 car, too.

That would be a bit silly, though, but if they want the cars to be loud, there are options.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished rewatching the race, wasn't able to watch close the first time. Enjoyed it a lot and I also feel bad for him.

edit: never saw the tripping balls comment by Daniel, :lol

TylerD

I doubt that these turbo V6s would have given me the euphoric feeling, goosebumps, and massive grin on my face during FP1 the first time I saw F1 live in Montreal a few years back. The sound is absolutely a big part of the atmosphere of a race to me.

Chris R

So "noisegate" might actually be good for the sport. A few people I know are going to DVR Malaysia after hearing about the difference (one on NPR, a few more from just general web browsing). I told them sure it sounded different, but I loved how the cars actually were racy instead of processional.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom