• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT| Who Will Win? Nobody Nose

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrKaepora

Google is paying homage to Senna.

cpfx75h.png

https://www.google.pt/?gfe_rd=cr&ei=HQEsU5vVGIbD8gfi6IDwBA

Hammer24

Banned
Andrew Benson spot on with this article about engines.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/26666624

Great article!
And this part really is some food for thought:

"Lap times are about three seconds slower than last year at the moment, but at least half of that is a result of the harder tyres, and much of the rest down to the loss of downforce - which, when combined with that extra power, makes the cars a greater challenge for the drivers.
Even with the harder tyres, produced by Pirelli because it was concerned about the effect of the increased torque of the engines, engineers estimate the cars will be as fast as last year before the end of the season."

Right on, but I think the writer is being naive if he thinks Bernie doesn't see the whole picture. His business is track promotion, and TV rights. His constituents care more about the sound than probably any other group. Of course he sees the value in manufacturer support, and addressing their needs. That's not in his jurisdiction however. He's always going to side with his interests, and the interests of whom he does business with. Publicly that is.

he's being totally disingenuous when he says there wasnt any noise distinction between the V8 engines. The Ferrari sounded different from the Mclaren and the Mclaren sounded different from the Red Bull. Even the Williams car didnt sound like other Renault cars on its downshifts. And Benson knows that. Okay, if you're sitting in the grand stands awash in a cacophony of noise, they dont sound any different, but on TV they certainly do.

That´s one of the many famous stories about that horrible weekend... almost 20 years later and i can´t really accept that everything happened the way it did.

MrKaepora

That´s one of the many famous stories about that horrible weekend... almost 20 years later and i can´t really accept that everything happened the way it did.
That race should never have happened. Barrichello accident, Ratzemberg death, even the start of the race didn't go well with Lamy/Letto accident and spectators getting hurt.

I didn't watch the race on that day. I was in 5th grade at the time, was going to have a math test the next day and had a terrible headache. It was my uncle who gave me the news and at the time reports were coming in slowly about the condition of Senna. I later understood that not much could be done to save him.

I cried like it was somebody of my family that had died.

Hammer24

Banned
Okay, if you're sitting in the grand stands awash in a cacophony of noise, they dont sound any different, but on TV they certainly do.

But that's kinda the point. All the discussion was about the trackside noise and feel. There has never been a time, when this got properly transmitted via TV to peoples homes.

Hasney

Has anyone played Racing Manager 2014? It's the daily deal on Steam right now, but 2012 felt so cheap it wasn't any fun. Has it improved much?

Tubie

That race should never have happened. Barrichello accident, Ratzemberg death, even the start of the race didn't go well with Lamy/Letto accident and spectators getting hurt.

I didn't watch the race on that day. I was in 5th grade at the time, was going to have a math test the next day and had a terrible headache. It was my uncle who gave me the news and at the time reports were coming in slowly about the condition of Senna. I later understood that not much could be done to save him.

I cried like it was somebody of my family that had died.

Don't think the FIA has changed much.

It's all about money for them. This year is very dangerous. With teams not coping well with the new rules (Lotus) and drivers that should not be in F1 (Maldonado), anything can happen.

So apparently the relatives of those lost Malaysian airliner have been forced out of the hotel they were staying in by Ferrari, as they'd booked it up for the duration of their stay in the area for the GP.

Awkward.

Nothing. Ferrari could have made a gesture though.

They perhaps couldn't even do that given the logistics of it all. I should clarify that I'm not condemning Ferrari or the hotel for sticking with the booking, I'm merely pointing out that it must be a bloody awkward situation for all of them.

MrKaepora

Has anyone played Racing Manager 2014? It's the daily deal on Steam right now, but 2012 felt so cheap it wasn't any fun. Has it improved much?
Doesn't seem like it. At least that's the impression I get from some of the gameplay videos on YT. It's the same game as 2012.

Don't think the FIA has changed much.

It's all about money for them. This year is very dangerous. With teams not coping well with the new rules (Lotus) and drivers that should not be in F1 (Maldonado), anything can happen.
The difference is, F1 cars have improved much in term of safety since then. That Kubica accident if it happened during Senna time, Kubica would be dead.

Shaneus

I haven't touched the series, but impressions/reviews I've read... it's an absolute shocker. As in, "completely avoid at all costs"-shocker.

So I've heard rumors (take it with a grain of salt please) that Caterham's "future is in doubt", and that "Tony Fernandes is probably going to withdraw".

I've been trying to find any news article that suggests such rumors but I can't find any. I know a lot of you are passionate about it and may have heard a rumor or two so I'm just sharing what I've heard.

How much truth there is to it?

andshrew

So I've heard rumors (take it with a grain of salt please) that Caterham's "future is in doubt", and that "Tony Fernandes is probably going to withdraw".

I've been trying to find any news article that suggests such rumors but I can't find any. I know a lot of you are passionate about it and may have heard a rumor or two so I'm just sharing what I've heard.

Well he threatened at the start of the year that if they don't score points and move up from the back that he would pull the funding.

Whether he will actually do that I don't know but from Aus it doesn't seem like they've made any significant progress towards the midfield.

Well he threatened at the start of the year that if they don't score points and move up from the back that he would pull the funding.

Whether he will actually do that I don't know but from Aus it doesn't seem like they've made any significant progress towards the midfield.

Thanks for that link. It'll be very sad if they go down as I know a friend who works for Caterham, and they're all very passionate about the sports.

Ark

Thanks for that link. It'll be very sad if they go down as I know a friend who works for Caterham, and they're all very passionate about the sports.

It would be a shame, but they've failed to score a single point in four seasons and one race. They started as the 'favourite' of the new teams but now Marussia look like the only team with any future out of the original trio. It's quite telling how difficult it's been for these new teams over the last few years. Although in their defence, they signed up for a different formula.

Jezbollah

I went to Caterham's HQ (back when they were Lotus, and based in Hingham in Norfolk) for a work engagement a few years back. I think many here would be shocked if they saw the facility they were working out of - It was literally a few small industrial units in the middle of nowhere.

Since then, they have moved into a much bigger factory in Oxfordshire, and also expanded their racing to include a new Moto2 team, and are in the process of entering the sports motorcycle business. There is no lack of commitment by Tony Fernandes with regards to the Caterham brand's racing activities, but if his F1 team continue not to progress then I can see him selling that team off to put money into his other racing ventures. It makes perfect business sense.

DBT85

When it comes too racing management games, Grand Prix World is still the GOAT.

I preferred GPM2 for some reason. Can't now remember why.

Sadly GPRM has been in limbo for years, though they are now talking about testing again soon.

It's a project that could do with the Prison Architect / Kerbal Space Program kind of model.

TCRS

Banned
When it comes too racing management games, Grand Prix World is still the GOAT.

haha yup, that was great. I remember playing with hex codes and what not to get more money for my team. It was cheating but it also made Schumacher a five time world champion in a...
Minardi lolol.

AcridMeat

Banned
Okay, I honestly forgot how beautiful those V10s sound. Hate to bring up the engine sound discussion again but daaayum.
I missed out on F1 games of that era, and I wish someone would be allowed to make just a V10 season game again.

Edit: Holy shit that Monaco lap is phenomenal.

Shaneus

I went to Caterham's HQ (back when they were Lotus, and based in Hingham in Norfolk) for a work engagement a few years back. I think many here would be shocked if they saw the facility they were working out of - It was literally a few small industrial units in the middle of nowhere.

Since then, they have moved into a much bigger factory in Oxfordshire, and also expanded their racing to include a new Moto2 team, and are in the process of entering the sports motorcycle business. There is no lack of commitment by Tony Fernandes with regards to the Caterham brand's racing activities, but if his F1 team continue not to progress then I can see him selling that team off to put money into his other racing ventures. It makes perfect business sense.
A small part of me would love to see Stoddart get back into the fray again. I think Minardi eventually evolved into STR but I'd have no problem seeing that name back again.

Moozo

Well QPR are going to be fucked from next year because of Financial Fair Play rules, and they're not going to be promoted. Can't see him staying there much longer. It's not inconceivable that he'd pick one or the other, so would stick with Caterham if he gave up on QPR.

On the engines: shouldn't it be fairly simple to find a solution for noise levels for television, at least? As a kind of temporary fix. Then think about amplifying exhausts and things next year.

TCRS

Banned
If you can, get Grand Prix 4 for PC. The AI is still probably the best of any racing game.

I played the shit out of Grand Prix 3 with my steering wheel. Downloaded the liveries of previous seasons and drove full distances. Man I loved that game, good times.

Never got into GP4 for some reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom