• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT| Who Will Win? Nobody Nose

Status
Not open for further replies.

TTG

Quality of the engine sound notwithstanding, I liked hearing some ambient noise during the telecast for a change.

We should make this amazing LEGO-model happen, F1 GAF!

thumb640x360.jpg

http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/5802#

So "noisegate" might actually be good for the sport. A few people I know are going to DVR Malaysia after hearing about the difference (one on NPR, a few more from just general web browsing). I told them sure it sounded different, but I loved how the cars actually were racy instead of processional.

What's DVR Malaysia?

Oh I see.

Not sure I agree about the cars not being processional then. There was no more overtaking than we saw last year (probably less).

AndyD

aka andydumi
Quality of the engine sound notwithstanding, I liked hearing some ambient noise during the telecast for a change.

Me too. Hearing the tire squeal in the pits startled me, in a good way. I know the roaring engine is something, but I also enjoy the ambient sounds.

Nicktendo86

Me too. Hearing the tire squeal in the pits startled me, in a good way. I know the roaring engine is something, but I also enjoy the ambient sounds.

Agree 100%. You can now actually hear wheelspin and work out how good traction is etc, I understand the love for the loud sound but this is so much better in my opinion. Instead of hearing ONE noise we can now hear several which make up the big picture.

Hammer24

Banned
lol true. I hope Mclaren's aggressive drive on performance works though, I would LOVE to see a four way battle for the title between the two Merc and two Macca drivers.

Don´t forget WIL. Nice driver combo, good team - and at some point in the season MCL will have to concentrate on next years car.

Chris R

What's DVR Malaysia?

DVR = Recorder it with their Digital Video Recorder to watch the race at a later point in time, since it airs at Midnight local time.

And while there might have been fewer passes (anyone know where stuff like that would be counted?) the cars seemed racier.

Also Bottas' nudge, and the Williams' qualifying so low down (which I *hope* was just due to wet qualification).

Had the Williams qualified in position then I doubt we'd have had much overtaking at all. Well, short of putting himself in the wall again.

Juicy Bob

And while there might have been fewer passes (anyone know where stuff like that would be counted?) the cars seemed racier.
There were 29 on-track overtakes on Sunday. To compare with previous Aus GPs:

2014: 29
2013: 43
2012: 30
2011: 26
2010: 27

Draconian

We can play this game all day and in every direction.

Vettel didn't even qualify in the top 10 and had 5 cars in front of him out of the race in the first corner. Are you really going to tell me that he would've finished 2nd like he did? Are you really going to tell me Alonso wouldn't score any points like he did? Some hypotheticals are much more likely than others. Grosjean likely cost Alonso the title that year. I'm not sure how there can be much argument to that.

Ark

Vettel didn't even qualify in the top 10 and had 5 cars in front of him out of the race in the first corner. Are you really going to tell me that he would've finished 2nd like he did? Are you really going to tell me Alonso wouldn't score any points like he did? Some hypotheticals are much more likely than others. Grosjean likely cost Alonso the title that year. I'm not sure how there can be much argument to that.

You're trying to argue legitimate points for a 'what if' game in a sporting environment where literally any one of a million things could go wrong?

Had Ferrari figured out how to use a windtunnel Spa would have been a negligible loss, Alonso would have scored more points during the season and beaten Button to 1st at Brazil. Had Hulkenberg crashed into Button instead and Hamilton suffer a mechanical issue causing him to finish between Alonso & Vettel in Brazil, he'd have won the title.

Playing the 'what if' game with Formula 1 is one of the most ridiculous things you can do. There's no guarantee that Alonso would have even finished the race at Spa, let alone beat Vettel (who still would have finished top 5 regardless). The only people to blame for Alonso not winning the 2010 & 2012 titles are Ferrari.

Draconian

You're trying to argue legitimate points for a 'what if' game in a sporting environment where literally any one of a million things could go wrong?

Had Ferrari figured out how to use a windtunnel Spa would have been a negligible loss, Alonso would have scored more points during the season and beaten Button to 1st at Brazil. Had Hulkenberg crashed into Button instead and Hamilton suffer a mechanical issue causing him to finish between Alonso & Vettel in Brazil, he'd have won the title.

Playing the 'what if' game with Formula 1 is one of the most ridiculous things you can do. There's no guarantee that Alonso would have even finished the race at Spa, let alone beat Vettel (who still would have finished top 5 regardless). The only people to blame for Alonso not winning the 2010 & 2012 titles are Ferrari.

It's hilarious to me that you criticize my hypothetical and then claim Vettel would've finished in the top 5 regardless.

Ark

It's hilarious to me that you criticize my hypothetical and then claim Vettel would've finished in the top 5 regardless.

If you want to laugh instead of back-up your own argument, go ahead. As the past 3 years have proved, it's a safe bet that he would have. The Red Bull was bullet-proof reliable, unbelievably quick, and Vettel has the talent and the rub of the green. Point is, arguing hypothetical situations in F1 is silly.

Going back to my first post on this, even if Alonso did finish in Spa ahead of Vettel, he could have had a crash or an engine failure after that. Actually, if I had to pick a 'defining' moment for Alonso's loss of the title in 2012, it would be the start in Suzuka.

RB have formally lodged their appeal, shortly before the deadline for them to do so expired. Why leave it so late?

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/113023?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

To ensure they've prepared the best case they possibly can? Seems pretty standard not to rush into it.

I have a feeling Magnessen is becoming my second favourite driver. Seems like a great guy and quick.

He's just so fucking nonchalant about everything, it's beautiful.

Nicktendo86

Yeah makes sense. I just hope the hearing is sooner rather than later, what if the whole thing happens again in a weeks time in Malaysia?

Draconian

If you want to laugh instead of back-up your own argument, go ahead. As the past 3 years have proved, it's a safe bet that he would have. The Red Bull was bullet-proof reliable, unbelievably quick, and Vettel has the talent and the rub of the green. Point is, arguing hypothetical situations in F1 is silly.

Going back to my first post on this, even if Alonso did finish in Spa ahead of Vettel, he could have had a crash or an engine failure after that. Actually, if I had to pick a 'defining' moment for Alonso's loss of the title in 2012, it would be the start in Suzuka.

You want to argue facts? Alright, let's do it.

In the 2012 season, Vettel retired twice due to car failures, while Alonso retired twice due to crashes. Calling Vettel's car "Bullet-proof reliable" is sheer hyperbole from you.

You say it's a "safe bet" Vettel would've finished in the top 5 from starting 11th, but refuse to even concede to me that Alonso would've finished in the points (and ahead of Vettel) starting 5th due to what? Reliability issues with the car? Like the ones Vettel had, but Alonso never had? Yeah, ok.

If you want to argue facts from that season, be my guest. All I've seen from you so far is revisionist history concerning the reliability of Vettel's car and the refusal to admit Vettel was in a terrible position at the start at Spa and was incredibly fortunate to have two of his main competitors (and three other cars) taken out in the first corner.

Maybe Vettel would've still won the title, who knows, but I'm tired of you complaining about hypotheticals and then using hypotheticals and revisionist history to argue for Vettel just because of how the season eventually finished.

Ryne

There were 29 on-track overtakes on Sunday. To compare with previous Aus GPs:

2014: 29
2013: 43
2012: 30
2011: 26
2010: 27

So seems about average then in terms of overtakes?

I enjoyed watching this race though, just because of the "unknown" factor. It will probably wear off after 3 or 4 races.

Ark

Maybe Vettel would've still won the title, who knows, but I'm tired of you complaining about hypotheticals and then using hypotheticals and revisionist history to argue for Vettel just because of how the season eventually finished.

You've completely lost where this is going.

My entire point for dismissing your first post about Grosjean costing Alonso the title is based solely on that playing the 'what if' game with Formula 1 is a silly endeavour. I'm not arguing facts, nor am I arguing for Vettel, I'm simply trying to convey that by creating a hypothetical situation where one thing goes another way to how it played in reality, creates new possibilities for other things to go wrong in its place.

If you compensate for McLaren's mistakes, Hamilton would have won the 2012 title by a convincing margin. Yes, I am aware this is a 'what if' situation. But guess what, anything that deviates from reality is exactly that.

I'm a fan of F1 first and foremost, but after that comes Alonso & Hamilton and then everyone else. I wanted Alonso to win the 2012 title, heck I wouldn't complain if he won this year's title.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of the power delivery problems sorted out via software. They'll still obviously be a lot more tail happy than the last generation of cars though.

McNum

It's kind of funny to watch the Danish sports press just fawning over Kevin Magnussen these days. Like they're in complete fanboy mode, all of them.

It has the awesome side effect that all of a sudden, Formula 1 has become a priority sport here. Like seriously priority. We're usually all about football, but this year, if a match overlaps with a race, the match gets postponed until AFTER the race transmission is done. Not the broadcast of the match, the match itself. That's just... I would have never believed it could happen.

Heck, the public service TV has made a Formula 1 for dummies website, even though they don't have the broadcast rights. It has all the technical jargon so people can reference that and find out just what a DRS and ERS is.

Gotta love it when Denmark gets a new sports hero. There's really no middle ground. Either we don't care or we all go collective fanboying over it. I do hope he keeps up delivering good results. Otherwise, this mood will turn sour. Seen that happen a lot, too.

Juicy Bob

It's kind of funny to watch the Danish sports press just fawning over Kevin Magnussen these days. Like they're in complete fanboy mode, all of them.

It has the awesome side effect that all of a sudden, Formula 1 has become a priority sport here. Like seriously priority. We're usually all about football, but this year, if a match overlaps with a race, the match gets postponed until AFTER the race transmission is done. Not the broadcast of the match, the match itself. That's just... I would have never believed it could happen.

Heck, the public service TV has made a Formula 1 for dummies website, even though they don't have the broadcast rights. It has all the technical jargon so people can reference that and find out just what a DRS and ERS is.

Gotta love it when Denmark gets a new sports hero. There's really no middle ground. Either we don't care or we all go collective fanboying over it. I do hope he keeps up delivering good results. Otherwise, this mood will turn sour. Seen that happen a lot, too.
This same thing happens in virtually every country that produces a new, hot F1 star. It even happened with Hamilton in 2007 - suddenly the media were obsessed by Lewis even though Britain's had more WDCs than any other nation!

Interestingly though, I don't really see hardcore F1 fans as being the type to care much about the nationality of drivers they support. I've come across Japanese Button fans, British Massa fans, French Fisichella fans and American Hulkenberg fans during my visits to races before. Of course, Kimi is pretty popular around the world. Alonso is too, and Webber was always pretty well supported. And look how everyone loves Kobayashi's spectacular driving style.

I think most F1 fans don't automatically go for the drivers from their home nation and I think a lot of national media outlets don't really get that F1 isn't the same as the Olympics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom