• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT| Who Will Win? Nobody Nose

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly, why would any of these drivers leave their respective teams for a team that hasn't been champion for 7 years. It would make no sense, they're all in superior (or at the very least, equal) teams already.

Well if you're Ricciardo, a 20x pay raise (guessing) would be pretty appealing.

I actually think it's only going to get better for Ferrari. Does that mean a Championship within the next few years? Probably not, but at least they're pointed back uphill.

hamchan

I don't see Ricciardo leaving Red Bull since he's doing so well and also because they've shown so much faith in him, he's sure to have some loyalty to the team.

Juicy Bob

I don't see Ricciardo leaving Red Bull since he's doing so well and also because they've shown so much faith in him, he's sure to have some loyalty to the team.
This. And given the fact that Red Bull are still a fucking powerhouse of a team and the fact that this season was always going to be Mercedes's, it makes no sense to consider leaving RBR at this stage.

Draconian

Wow Ferrari are really throwing Alonso under the bus just because he's unhappy with their shitty cars.

Ungrateful cunts.

This team is apparently run by a bunch of fools. I hope these guys are aware that they'd be like 6th in the constructor's right now if Alonso wasn't on the team.

NHale

Everytime you read something in the MARCA newspaper you have to know it's been leaked by Alonso's manager. He has very close ties with the directors of the newspaper and this particular report is basically a page of praises for Alonso's talent and how he managed to outrace his car every year at Ferrari while the technical side continued to make mistakes that he masked with his performance inside the car. And since LdM wanted to test that theory by hiring another top driver (which pissed off Alonso) which considering the results help prove the theory in Alonso's favour.

But what I read from that newspaper piece is that Alonso actually wants to stay in Ferrari another year but for some reason Ferrari is leaking stories about him leaving making him look bad in the Italian press and he's pissed about it. Meanwhile Ron Dennis laughs and waits...

I still believe the key to this driver market (besides a 3rd car introduction) is Vettel and not Alonso. If Vettel stays put everything stays the same. If he does indeed want to leave now and Ferrari doesn't get rid of Alonso does he accept McLaren gigantic rumored offer? Is that why Ferrari is leaking stories that infuriated Abad and the rest of Alonso's management?

He's not going to leave especially considering he's now Marko's new golden boy.

Hammer24

Banned
You guys really need to let go your driver bromances/hatorade.
Yes, these are the guys that get the fame and recognition - and that's exactly why every single team sees them as a necessary evil. No one is in there to make some single egomaniac fulfill his dreams. They are businesses, that make business decisions. As long as a driver helps them achieve their business goals, fine. But like in every business its a what-have-you-done-for-me-lately environment. The outlook is always firmly in the future.
To give some examples:
- never underestimate the draw an Italian driver would have for FER
- never underestimate the brand compatibility a driver has to have to work for MER
- never underestimate the brand image RB needs to project via its sports aces
...and so on.
To give an even more specific example, to what I outlined above:
MCL under Dennis always had the drivers sign a clause, that their race trophies would be MCL property. Dennis himself said: "You get the fame and money, we keep the trophies for the factory workers".

I still believe the key to this driver market (besides a 3rd car introduction) is Vettel and not Alonso. If Vettel stays put everything stays the same. If he does indeed want to leave now and Ferrari doesn't get rid of Alonso does he accept McLaren gigantic rumored offer? Is that why Ferrari is leaking stories that infuriated Abad and the rest of Alonso's management?

IMO the musical chairs will start in earnest next year. AFAIK the VET (whom I see as the key as well) LOI has to be executed (or not) for the 2016 season. HAM contract would be up. ALO could leave without a fuss. MCL training year is over.

He's not going to leave especially considering he's now Marko's new golden boy.

Uhm, no. That would be Verstappen.

Aiii

So not worth it
I agree with Dennis on that though, trophies should really be team property and be displayed at the factory. The entire point of a racing team is collecting wins, it's only logical the rewards of their hard work are on display there.

Igo

I agree with Dennis on that though, trophies should really be team property and be displayed at the factory. The entire point of a racing team is collecting wins, it's only logical the rewards of their hard work are on display there.
The winning constructor get trophies for race wins. I don't understand why McLaren want the driver trophies too.

If Vettel struggles to podium a car that his rookie teammate can take to three wins, I can't wait to see how well he does in the turd that is Ferrari.

Yes, I'd love to see it the other way around. Alonso WDCx4 (unless Danny gets there first).

Seb's been better as the season's gone on. Outqualified Ricciardo like 4 out of the last 6 races and beat him fair and square at Singapore. It seems his number one issue now is tyre management, which Dany is better at. For now. Fact is, the guy is getting used to these cars and we're seeing flashes of his old self alot more now. I expect him to be going blow for blow with Ricciardo by the end of the season.

As for Maranello, I think Ferrari can build a competitive car in the next three years. They have good personnel there that just need some time to unfuck that team. They clearly have a serious problem with their production chain and testing.

jey_16

Banned
Wow Ferrari are really throwing Alonso under the bus just because he's unhappy with their shitty cars.

Ungrateful cunts.

eh...its a shit situation but Alonso is not making it any better, Ferrari want a long term commitment from Alonso but by sounding out McLaren, Mercedes etc. what choice do they have but to chase Vettel & Hamilton or they are left with nothing

If Alonso leaves this year or next year, Ferrari need to have another driver to step up. Alonso has shown his ruthlesness in the past so Ferrari can't take any chances

Aiii

So not worth it
The winning constructor get trophies for race wins. I don't understand why McLaren want the driver trophies too.

Because it's not just the driver winning the race or podiums, it's also the engineers, the guys changing the engine all Friday long, the pit crew changing the tires with precise precision as quickly as possible, all the workers in the factory working 16-hour shifts in pre-season getting the car ready for the next season and barely seeing their family.

hamchan

Because it's not just the driver winning the race or podiums, it's also the engineers, the guys changing the engine all Friday long, the pit crew changing the tires with precise precision as quickly as possible, all the workers in the factory working 16-hour shifts in pre-season getting the car ready for the next season and barely seeing their family.

But that's what the constructor trophy is for?

Right, but the factory workers and boys on the pit wall didnt drive the car to a first place finish in torrential downpour in Japan and they didnt drive it from plum last to a first place finish in Montreal. Those feats were because of the brilliance of the driver on that specific day.
Like, do you think Schumi at the Spanish GP in 96 shouldve been deprived of trophy because it was a "team win"? Because I think that win was like 30% car and team, 70% Michael.

Aiii

So not worth it
Right, but the factory workers and boys on the pit wall didnt drive the car to a first place finish in torrential downpour in Japan and they didnt drive it from plum last to a first place finish in Montreal. Those feats were because of the brilliance of the driver on that specific day.

But the engineer deciding to go from wet tires to intermediate tires at exactly the right time was definitely not involved in making sure the driver made up 3 places as the rest waited one lap too long.

But the engineer deciding to go from wet tires to intermediate tires at exactly the right time was definitely not involved in making sure the driver made up 3 places as the rest waited one lap too long.

That engineer can take home the champaigne bottle from the podium celebration then.

Pimpwerx

McLaren fans are willing to lose out on talented drivers because of that policy? I always found it baffling, because it's clearly an issue for some drivers. That a team would sabotage its own chances by not just making themselves a replica shows a bit of stubbornness. PEACE.

Aiii

So not worth it

Right, moving on.

Helmut Marko:
Q: You’ve been the driving force behind Max Verstappen’s signing with Toro Rosso for next season. What do you expect from someone so young?
HM: He is an exceptional talent that comes along only once in decades…

Q: Can you compare him to anyone?
HM: Most likely Ayrton Senna. And in such a case you must not look at his age. He has been talking with people who are experts when it comes to the development of youngsters and they all say that (in terms of) his mind he is more like 22 than 16. And regarding his skills behind the steering wheel, he has been racing since he was four years old - professionally. So we expect him to be competitive from the first race. We are not playing the lottery - we know what we are doing. And success proves us right.

Q: How will you work with him? Might he need a lot more attention than somebody slightly older?
HM: As I said: mentally he is past 20 years old! And yes, we work with him intensively. He will do some Friday runs. Not long ago he did a 400 km test in Italy, he’s in the simulator whenever possible and he’s working on his physique and psychology with top experts. Yes, some things became visible that we will have to address for the 2015 season. Having said that, he is getting the perfect ‘schooling’ before he gets on the grid.
http://www.formula1.com/news/interviews/2014/9/16399.html

Pimpwerx

Ah, the mythical pre-contract, which is legally impossible to arrange since it would involve breaching the current contract. There are pretty strict non-compete clauses in contracts of that magnitude, and no way in hell would Red Bull's allow him to sign anything with a competitor. I don't even think you can sign a letter of intent without getting permission from the current employer. PEACE.

Pimpwerx

Nope, that's standard procedure in F1.

In silly season talk or in actual legal speak? I know we hear about this stuff all the time from the tabloids, but in actual legal terms, what loophole is there that allows someone under contract to sign a letter of intent with another company, without gaining permission from the current employer?

I always thought this precontract scuttlebutt was just the tabloid way of gussying-up a simple handshake/wink/nod agreement. That happens all the time for sure, where two parties have a verbal agreement made through back channels, but an out-and-out ink and paper transaction? Seems a high risk to take for little reward. PEACE.

Hammer24

Banned
In silly season talk or in actual legal speak? I know we hear about this stuff all the time from the tabloids, but in actual legal terms, what loophole is there that allows someone under contract to sign a letter of intent with another company, without gaining permission from the current employer?

Strictly speaking, a LOI is a legally non-binding document. You only outline broad strokes of what both sides would do, IF it ever came to a contract. So as such, you simply cannot forbid anyone to set up such a thing, as you are not breaking any contract.

... but an out-and-out ink and paper transaction? Seems a high risk to take for little reward. PEACE.

In the end, the LOI is just written proof, that both sides are seriously interested in each other, and signing it is a show of commitment. Yet in the end, I would estimate 90% never get executed, or the timeframe set runs out.
The VET LOI was first only noticed, because the champion and FER were involved. But it was soon shrugged off, as these LOI´s usually are. But then persistent talk started, that there are some hooks in it - but up to today, no one knows which. From what I know of these LOI´s, I can only speculate that both sides have some kind of execution rights, as everything is usually set up on reciprocity.

NHale

Strictly speaking, a LOI is a legally non-binding document. You only outline broad strokes of what both sides would do, IF it ever came to a contract. So as such, you simply cannot forbid anyone to set up such a thing, as you are not breaking any contract.

We just have to look at Hulkenberg's LOI with Ferrari last year and what happened in the end.

Pimpwerx

In the end, the LOI is just written proof, that both sides are seriously interested in each other, and signing it is a show of commitment. Yet in the end, I would estimate 90% never get executed, or the timeframe set runs out.
The VET LOI was first only noticed, because the champion and FER were involved. But it was soon shrugged off, as these LOI´s usually are. But then persistent talk started, that there are some hooks in it - but up to today, no one knows which. From what I know of these LOI´s, I can only speculate that both sides have some kind of execution rights, as everything is usually set up on reciprocity.
Gracias, amigo. I've learned something new today. I was legit miffed before.

That said...huh. Now wasn't this LOI thing rumored for more than a year now? I'm seeing smoke here. There's gotta be flames feeding this. PEACE.

Shaneus

Seb's been better as the season's gone on. Outqualified Ricciardo like 4 out of the last 6 races and beat him fair and square at Singapore. It seems his number one issue now is tyre management, which Dany is better at. For now. Fact is, the guy is getting used to these cars and we're seeing flashes of his old self alot more now. I expect him to be going blow for blow with Ricciardo by the end of the season.
Well, not really. Have to question whether Alonso giving back the two spots rather than one would've made a difference. Given how closely they finished, I'd argue it did.

As for Maranello, I think Ferrari can build a competitive car in the next three years. They have good personnel there that just need some time to unfuck that team. They clearly have a serious problem with their production chain and testing.
Unfortunately, that's been the same story for the last 6 or so years. I'm yet to see how anything will be any different over the next 6 (but I'd love to be proven wrong, regardless of who drives for them).

Hammer24

Banned
Lorenzo De Luca ‏@LorenzoDL83 42m
@CorSport "The most likely 2015 scenario sees #Alonso in #Mclaren and #Vettel to #Ferrari"
‏
Lorenzo De Luca ‏@LorenzoDL83 50m
@tuttosport "#Honda 100 millions for 3 years (contract already signed ) for #Alonso, " pic.twitter.com/99429CSrTc

Alonso to McLaren a done deal it seems. Probably why McLaren is waiting longer to announce pairing for 2015.

NHale

Alonso going back to McLaren? I'm really surprised...

That "deal" (aka LOI) was reportedly signed last year after Kimi's announcement but then Ron Dennis happened and he reportedly got cold feet and backed out of the deal... His manager didn't travel 2 times to Japan just after Kimi's announcement to go to Tokyo Game Show. He did it and especially tweeted about it for a reason.

The rumor also mentioned that the contract had the Schummy/#1 driver clause and also Santander would return to McLaren in 2016 helping to fund his salary but I don't know if the recent death of Botin changed that. But considering his daughter replaced him, I'm going to guess everything will remain the same for the next couple of years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom