• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT| Who Will Win? Nobody Nose

Status
Not open for further replies.

Massa

So RBR found a rule they can break to stay competitive, and they're just going to repeatedly break it hoping to get away with it?

Second free practice results: 2014 Malaysian Formula 1 Grand Prix
1. N. Rosberg 1:39.909
2. K. Raikkonen 1:39.944
3. S. Vettel 1:39.970

Mercedes must be sandbagging Red Bull style.

And RBR really must have something up their sleeve, if then think they can still use their own sensors and get away with it.

Zeknurn

So with fuel flow sensors failing left and right and according to Red Bull also drifting. I wonder when FIA is going to buckle.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Mercedes must be sandbagging Red Bull style.

Not only Mercedes, I think that all Mercedes powered cars drive reserved on FP1 and FP2 or with heavy fuel load. Any info on long runs?

EDIT: Lewis statement
Hi guys, I'm happy with our progress over the two sessions today and we were able to complete our programme. The car feels good and our focus was on trying to understand the tyres and make sure the balance is right for the weekend. There are areas where we can improve so we're keeping focused on our own work, rather than being distracted by what the others are doing. It was pretty tough with the temperature and humidity and it's so important to keep hydrated here. We would love a good result this weekend, particularly as it is the home race for PETRONAS, but it's impossible to predict what will happen at this stage. It's one of the trickiest races of the year so we just have to make sure we tick all the boxes and that it all comes together for us.

Dilly

Banned
lol, that idiot at about 8:35 of Part 2 trying to take you back. Looked like he spun out trying that at least.

Yeah, that one seriously pissed me off, especially because he was already a lap behind anyway. He did spin out, there was no way he was going to make that corner like that.

anx10us

Banned
Yeah, that one seriously pissed me off, especially because he was already a lap behind anyway. He did spin out, there was no way he was going to make that corner like that.

Great karting, its proper fun when you have a respectful battle with someone of similar ability, you must have the patience of a saint :)

The strangest bit was when you got out of the car, because of the Go-Pro location it feels like you about 8 feet tall ...

Dilly

Banned
Great karting, its proper fun when you have a respectful battle with someone of similar ability, you must have the patience of a saint :)

The strangest bit was when you got out of the car, because of the Go-Pro location it feels like you about 8 feet tall ...

Yeah, the racing was very clean and fun, I think I was a bit faster than him since I closed the gap again after that idiot hit me, but he was very good in positioning himself.

I rather enjoyed that. And that guy in part 2 at 8:30 - well, I would have done more than flick a hand at him.

I would've Johnny Cecotto'd him.

Cheers!

Haha, I was glad he spun because he seriously deserved it.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
So ferraris are doing well? I hope it's a real indication to the pecking order

I think that FP3 will bring clearer picture. But I think that Mercedes went with conservative approach today. Also some reports are suggesting that Ferrari had bigger degradation today compared to other top teams.

Chris R

I wish there was a kart track like that here :( If I ever make it big I'm building one indoors so it can run for more than 2 months a year!

Looked like a blast.

Dilly

Banned
I wish there was a kart track like that here :( If I ever make it big I'm building one indoors so it can run for more than 2 months a year!

Looked like a blast.

It's a great track and FIA certified for championships.

I checked the timing sheets and I was less than 2 seconds slower than Frijns!

frontieruk

Irulan

Neo Member
It's a great track and FIA certified for championships.

I checked the timing sheets and I was less than 2 seconds slower than Frijns!

Are you competing in the Rotax Max Challenge race that will be held there next weekend by any chance?

RoKKeR

Watching some P3 now before I head off to bed, can't be bothered to wake up/stay up for Qualis today. Hoping Williams doesn't get hurt too bad by the inevitable rain...

Iceman is out, Lets see if that gap to Merc is there to stay or not

edit: hes back into pits :(

edit2: back out! this is confusing without watching the live footage

Juicy Bob

F1 Manager is confusing as fuck.

I saw that the deadline was the end of FP3 so I decided to tinker with my team, but it wouldn't let me swap Perez for Bottas because it said 'you can't afford that' even though they cost the same amount and I had $2.3m left in my budget. So now I'm stuck with a driver I don't want.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Where is that half second advantage for Mclaren? In Button's lack of grip?

Mercedes really sandbagged and I think they drove resereved on hard compound even in FP3. Other teams are quite nicely packed together.

Where is that half second advantage for Mclaren? In Button's lack of grip?

Mercedes really sandbagged and I think they drove resereved on hard compound even in FP3. Other teams are quite nicely packed together.

That was usual BS pep talk by Ron Dennis. McLaren has improved from a mechanical grip standpoint, but they are still lacking from an aero standpoint. Lucky, I guess, that they have the Merc PU, otherwise that team should have never been on the podium last race, and barring any rain/issue for leading teams, they could potentially be struggling to score points in MAL.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
RBR almost 15 km/h down on speedtrap compared to Mercedes

Also very few laps in FP3, only between 10-15

RBR almost 15 km/h down on speedtrap compared to Mercedes

Also very few laps in FP3, only between 10-15

RBR is probably setting their car to maximise their performance in the tight and twisty stuff (Sector 2). And this helps with tyre wear as well. Car is smooth and planted; barely slides.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
RBR is probably setting their car to maximise their performance in the tight and twisty stuff (Sector 2). And this helps with tyre wear as well. Car is smooth and planted; barely slides.

And probably playing on rain card. In dry race, they will be sitting ducks on both long straights.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom