• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT| Who Will Win? Nobody Nose

Status
Not open for further replies.

John_B

Hamilton should have been 50 points deep by now, but it's more exciting with a head start for Rosberg.

Ricciardo has inherited the cursed side of the Red Bull garage. I hope he reaches a win this season. He has been impressive so far.

Personally I want to Mercedes to dominate Red Bull, just to act as a palette cleanser for the next couple of seasons, but if Red Bull could throw a monkey wrench into the Mercedes domination, it wouldn't be all but over in 10 races.

olore

Interesting fact from BBC F1:

"Nico Rosberg crosses the line in second to ensure Mercedes' first 1-2 since the 1955 Italian Grand Prix. It's also Mercedes' 15th grand prix win."

avaya

Camera goes on, first thing he said to Claire "How could you do this to Felipe?" and then went on "How could you do this to him, after all he's been through at Ferrari" or something like that. Total dick.

Journalist asks a proper question is a total dick now?

kmag

Assuming Renault can get their shit together, Red Bull should close the performance gap on Mercedes although it'll probably be circuit dependent. RB seem to have the best aero again which is traditionally the hardest thing to nail down, the Mercedes engine will probably still be the pick of the bunch but if Renault can get a bit more performance then we could have some exciting battles between RB and Mercedes.

Juicy Bob

'after all he's been through at Ferrari' is not a proper question, it is emotional twaddle.
Yeah. It's a legitimate point, but there's a proper way to put it to someone.

Lee McKenzie to Massa just now: "Do you think it was disrespectful of the team to ask you to move over to Valtteri?"

Much better way to put it.

tHoMNZ

That FIA fuel graphic did nothing but add confusion for me. Williams 'saved heaps' but never used it. Either they overfueled by 20% and couldn't use it because of the ridiculous fuel flow limit.. or the data is normalised to 100kg

Foshy

Here's my take on Kimi's race. I believe that making a comeback after being set back early in the race has become much, much harder now than it was before, due to all the new regulations.

After the first pit-stop, he was already about 70 seconds behind, iirc. Now, the obvious conclusion would be that at least he's got a lot of free space ahead of him so he can push hard to make up some of the time lost. However, due to fuel limitation and tyre degradation that's not as easily possible anymore, because if he was driving at full speed the compound would maybe last 10 laps and he would have to slow down massively in the end of the race as not to run out of fuel. So, it becomes a matter of driving carefully even if there's nobody around and waiting for a safety car or rain to reset the race.

On the matter of safety cars, while it's a bit sad I believe that they actually make the races more exciting now. You can get a free pitstop in and save fuel, which lets the teams have more reserves as the race come to an end.

Feel free to point out where I'm wrong.

How is that a proper question right at the beginning? What did he try to achieve by asking it in such a way? There was no need for that.

He is right though. There was NO NEED to ask for team orders. Bottas did not even had the pace to pass Massa legit.

No the team will be destabilised; thanks Based Claire Williams.

He is right though. There was NO NEED to ask for team orders. Bottas did not even had the pace to pass Massa legit.

No the team will be destabilised; thanks Based Claire Williams.

Bottas was told to back off, after it was clear that Massa wouldn't move. Massa also bitched about Bottas on lap 7 and Bottas was told to back off there, too.

At the end, Bottas followed through the orders, Massa didn't.

MrKaepora

Massa, if continues like this, will soon take away the "turtle" nickname from Barrichelo.

Edit: I think this was pretty much spot on about today's race.

8bqekdC.jpg

Bottas was told to back off, after it was clear that Massa wouldn't move. Massa also bitched about Bottas on lap 7 and Bottas was told to back off there, too.

At the end, Bottas followed through the orders, Massa didn't.

But there was no need for team orders; that's the difference. Massa was as fast as Bottas at the end, Bottas would have likely been unable to pass Button.

All that did is piss off Massa, a driver already hurt by these poor orders. Kravitz explaining this point right now in the Notebook.

Zeppu

Malaysia 2014: Massa doesn't follow team orders! Good on Massa.
Malaysia 2013: Vettel doesn't follow team orders! What a brat.

Malaysia is truly team orders hell.

Pretty sure, people wouldn't have the same opinion if we change Massa with Räikkönen (well, see last year).

Shit was just gifting Bottas a better position and nothing else.

Juicy Bob

I don't have a problem with Massa not obeying team orders, if it turns out that he wasn't asking the team to keep Bottas behind him earlier in the race.

andshrew

Here's my take on Kimi's race. I believe that making a comeback after being set back early in the race has become much, much harder now than it was before, due to all the new regulations.

After the first pit-stop, he was already about 70 seconds behind, iirc. Now, the obvious conclusion would be that at least he's got a lot of free space ahead of him so he can push hard to make up some of the time lost. However, due to fuel limitation and tyre degradation that's not as easily possible anymore, because if he was driving at full speed the compound would maybe last 10 laps and he would have to slow down massively in the end of the race as not to run out of fuel. So, it becomes a matter of driving carefully even if there's nobody around and waiting for a safety car or rain to reset the race.

On the matter of safety cars, while it's a bit sad I believe that they actually make the races more exciting now. You can get a free pitstop in and save fuel, which lets the teams have more reserves as the race come to an end.

Feel free to point out where I'm wrong.

It's not really that much different to how it's always been? Only way you're making up such a deficit is if you have a massive car advantage or you get the benefit of some safety cars of which Kimi had neither.

But there was no need for team orders; that's the difference. Massa was as fast as Bottas at the need, Bottas would have likely been unable to pass Button.

All that did is piss off Massa, a driver already hurt by these poor orders. Kravitz explaining this point right now in the Notebook.

That's not the point of the discussion. It was simply Ted's stupid opening. "How could you do that to him?", pushing for imaginary tears, like Felipe is some little boy that can't take care of himself. It just comes over as tabloid journalism.

e: I can already picture it in the Daily Mail tomorrow
"How could Williams do that to him?!"

That's not the point of the discussion. It was simply Ted's stupid opening. "How could you do that to him?", pushing for imaginary tears, like Felipe is some little boy that can't take care of himself.

Well, they know he is sensitive regarding that point. I don't know what shocked me the most; that Williams went there or that Claire was such a cold hearted bitch in the post-race interview.

EDIT: RIC has a 10-place grid penalty for BAH GP. /whenitrainsitpours

frontieruk

Well, they know he is sensitive regarding that point. I don't know what shocked me the most; that Williams went there or that Claire was such a cold hearted bitch in the post-race interview.

Why? Because she believes the drivers are there to do a job for the team?

Why? Because she believes the drivers are there to do a job for the team?

There is no job for the team. Swapping BOT and MAS gives the same result for Williams. They should have asked Massa to let Bottas through 5-10 laps before; not 1 1/2 lap from the end!

I would have agreed with you had this happened mid-race or at the start, but there was nothing to gain realistically for Williams, aside from controversy (now).

tHoMNZ

Team orders shouldn't be legal. It just robs drivers of their hard earned position. So what if Massa had slightly older tires and was slightly slower? He had track position and therefore had the advantage. This is a drivers championship, not just a Constructors championship.

frontieruk

There is no job for the team. Swapping BOT and MAS gives the same result for Williams. They should have asked Massa to let Bottas through 5-10 laps before; not 1 1/2 lap from the end!

I would have agreed with you had this happened mid-race or at the start, but there was nothing to gain realistically for Williams, aside from controversy (now).

Didn't MAS kick up a fuss about BOT trying to pass him in the middle of the race?

Dead Man

Yeah. It's a legitimate point, but there's a proper way to put it to someone.

Lee McKenzie to Massa just now: "Do you think it was disrespectful of the team to ask you to move over to Valtteri?"

Much better way to put it.

Exactly.

It is what people want to hear asked, it is what others would ask. Kravitz did his job.

People want to hear lots of things asked, depending on the person. Doesn't mean you shouldn't find a respectful way of asking the question.

Foshy

It's not really that much different to how it's always been? Only way you're making up such a deficit is if you have a massive car advantage or you get the benefit of some safety cars of which Kimi had neither.

Sure, but it's even tougher now as you can't just string qualifying-level laps together because you're simply not allowed to. You can't push the car even if the space is there, tyres and fuel will not keep up.

Think so - don't know what the cause was. MAS may have been unreasonable there. Please note that I am only referring to the end of the race and not that incident.

On lap 7 Bottas attacked Massa, while Massa was trying to get past Magnussen. Massa complained very loudly over the radio about that and Bottas was told to back off, until Magnussen is out of the way and they both could get past him or something like that. Bottas listened and backed off, while making a cheeky remark.

Why the fuck do i bother honestly? what is the fucking point of this shit, what do these cum dumpster cunts have against aussies? ffs im sure you guys understand our pain after webber got shat on year after year.

kharma45

Two penalty points for Bianchi and Magnussen for their accidents today.

On lap 7 Bottas attacked Massa, while Massa was trying to get past Magnussen. Massa complained very loudly over the radio about that and Bottas was told to back off, until Magnussen is out of the way and they both could get past him or something like that.

Yeah Bottas was told to wait for Massa to get past Kevin and then to follow him through, and only after that he'd be allowed to attack. Bottas rightly obeyed.

John_B

I understand that the FIA is taking those releases more serious now. People got hit by loose tyres in the last couple of seasons. Though it make little sense to have a twofold penalty for this issue. Will this be the norm then?

Fucking what?

WHAT? He already had a stop go!, you fucking cunts. I missed the last few laps pf the race, but he served that penalty, didn't he?

Yes, and he retired. I guess FIA is taking this very seriously given what happened to the cameraman in the pitlane in GER 2013 (and it was RBR too!)

On lap 7 Bottas attacked Massa, while Massa was trying to get past Magnussen. Massa complained very loudly over the radio about that and Bottas was told to back off, until Magnussen is out of the way and they both could get past him or something like that. Bottas listened and backed off, while making a cheeky remark.

Yep, not very good. Williams not handling its drivers very well at all...

nawz

Banned
Got this from autosport forum:

c) If a car is deemed to have been released in an unsafe condition during a race the driver
concerned will receive a ten grid place penalty at the driver’s next Event. However, if
any car released in an unsafe condition is able to resume the race a penalty under
Article 16.3© will also be imposed on the driver concerned.

cmr-94

That's fucking ridiculous. Bianchi couldn't even prevent his collision, he had a puncture. Wouldn't be surprised if there is an appeal

Dead Man

Got this from autosport forum:

c) If a car is deemed to have been released in an unsafe condition during a race the driver
concerned will receive a ten grid place penalty at the driver’s next Event. However, if
any car released in an unsafe condition is able to resume the race a penalty under
Article 16.3© will also be imposed on the driver concerned.

Fuck. It should have been announced during the race if that is the case. This post race stuff always irritates me.

Moozo

"Red Bull remain under investigation by the stewards as a member of their team was observed not to be wearing protective headgear during Ricciardo’s stop."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom