• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT| Who Will Win? Nobody Nose

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Red Bull remain under investigation by the stewards as a member of their team was observed not to be wearing protective headgear during Ricciardo’s stop."

Please a further 10-place grid penalty...

Anyway, Bahrain was unlikely to suit RBR anyway. 3 long straights with heavy acceleration zones. This has Mercedes/Williams written all over it. And maybe Ferrari.

kmag

Got this from autosport forum:

c) If a car is deemed to have been released in an unsafe condition during a race the driver
concerned will receive a ten grid place penalty at the driver’s next Event. However, if
any car released in an unsafe condition is able to resume the race a penalty under
Article 16.3© will also be imposed on the driver concerned.

that's fucking mental. If you can continue you get punished twice, if you can't you get punished once? The FIA just make this shit up.

Massa

On lap 7 Bottas attacked Massa, while Massa was trying to get past Magnussen. Massa complained very loudly over the radio about that and Bottas was told to back off, until Magnussen is out of the way and they both could get past him or something like that. Bottas listened and backed off, while making a cheeky remark.

I think you're missing a key detail there in your transcription, Massa complained that Bottas touched him, not that he was trying to pass him.

Ruruja

UHraNVM.jpg

Boggles my mind that so many people have trouble with his name.

kmag

Whatever. Ferrari has threatened of doing the same, and never pulled the trigger. And Ferrari has far more weight and is far more popular than Red Bull ever was.

RBR doesn't understand that it has very little leverage.

They have leverage in that they don't run the race team(s) to make money or to develop and sell other technology like say Williams. It's not business critical or even business important for Red Bull to run RBR or RBT. Red Bull could walk away from motorsport pretty easily. In 2010 Red Bull made over $1bn in profit, while RBT made $4 million profit. It's a small crumb on an extremely large pie, and fundamentally just Mateschitz's play thing if he gets bored enough he could walk away in a heartbeat.

But F1 was here before them and will be here after them.

Deadman

Harsh for ricciardo but I do agree with the punishment being severe. Cannot have another wheel coming loose in the pitlane. A loss of constructors points would maybe be better.

They have leverage in that they don't run the race team(s) to make money or to develop and sell other technology like say Williams. It's not business critical or even business important for Red Bull to run RBR or RBT. Red Bull could walk away from motorsport pretty easily. In 2010 Red Bull made over $1bn in profit, while RBT made $4 million profit. It's a small crumb on an extremely large pie, and fundamentally just Mateschitz's play thing if he gets bored enough he could walk away in a heartbeat.

But F1 was here before them and will be here after them.

RBR for Red Bull is not run for profit; far from it - it's Red Bull's most marketable asset - it's run from a perspective of increasing brand equity. Hence, RB has much more to lose if they don't like F1's current and want to leave.

RB would have more leverage if they actually had developed their own engine (or bought Cosworth's infrastructure).

kmag

RBR for Red Bull is not run for profit; far from it - it's Red Bull's most marketable asset - it's run from a perspective of increasing brand equity. Hence, RB has much more to lose if they don't like F1's current and want to leave.

RB would have more leverage if they actually had developed their own engine (or bought Cosworth's infrastructure).

It's hardly integral for that though. They sponsor everything from spacejumps to skateboarding. They'd get by without it.

F1's viewership figures have fallen off the cliff since Bernie took pay TV's money. From over 600 million in 2009 to just over 500 million in 2011. It's a declining sport.

It's hardly integral for that though. They sponsor everything from spacejumps to skateboarding. They'd get by without it.

F1's viewership figures have fallen off the cliff since Bernie took pay TV's money. From over 600 million in 2009 to just over 500 million in 2011. It's a declining sport.

Re: viewership, you can always argue, but it's undeniable that a lot of the decrease is due to Bernie putting F1 on pay TV everywhere.

As for other sports, you are kidding yourself if think any other extreme sport RB sponsor has the same impact as F1. Shaun White is probably the only RB-sponsored sportsman I can name off the top of my head. And maybe people remember that dude who jumped from the stratosphere.

F1 has become RB's crown jewel which is now in danger because they are not dominating like they used to.

EDIT: They've also heavily invested in a grand prix, from sponsorship to actually owning the track and renovating it for 2010s' F1. That shows a lot of commitment from Red Bull; throwing it all away because things are not going their way seems rather stupid and short-sighted. Mateschitz is a smart man; he will calm down.

hamchan

This whole Ricciardo thing just feels like they're kicking a guy while he's down, then kicking him again for good measure.

This is incredibly bad luck for a guy that seems so nice. I wonder how much he'll be able to take before he stops smiling.

TylerD

Well, a night of drinking and then attempting to watch F1 leads to me passing out. Missed qualifying 3 and the second half of the race. Poor Ricciardio... yes I misspelled his name on purpose. :(

Forget the drama over team orders being followed or not. The main thing here is that there is a Martini sponsored Williams scoring points this season. <3

Tis a beautiful thing.

frontieruk

Well, a night of drinking and then attempting to watch F1 leads to me passing out. Missed qualifying 3 and the second half of the race. Poor Ricciardio... yes I misspelled his name on purpose. :(

Forget the drama over team orders being followed or not. The main thing here is that there is a Martini sponsored Williams scoring points this season. <3

Tis a beautiful thing.

Surely you should be thanking Petronas for that result.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Please Ferrari get your shit together!.

Maybe in Spain, but other teams will not wait for them. Also, another Ferrari PU died today, Sutil suddenly lost all his power today during the race.

Looks like Mercedes also got rid of their tyre eating curse from previous years.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Not a great race, Mercedes dominance is one thing but there doesn't seem to be a massive amount of competition in the pack right now either.

RBR...why this kind of shit that happened to Ricciardo never happens to the other guy?

It's been said before, but Vettel actually had more problems than Webber in their time together. It just never mattered as much as he was usually leading the championship by a country mile.

Ark

I thought it was a good race over all. It's been a while since we've seen Hamilton have such a dominating win. Rosberg shill was really out of place and pretty cringey tbh.

Williams disappointed for me, I really thought they'd be higher. Absolutely flabbergasted that Alonso didn't finish 5th. Hulkenberg made the right call not to wait for Lotus.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
How long before the windtunnel is blamed

Nah, engine or power unit as whole will be on flak this year. They are blaming software issues once again... and that they have 50% less people working on engines compared to Mercedes

I thought it was a good race over all. It's been a while since we've seen Hamilton have such a dominating win. Rosberg shill was really out of place and pretty cringey tbh.

Williams disappointed for me, I really thought they'd be higher. Absolutely flabbergasted that Alonso didn't finish 5th. Hulkenberg made the right call not to wait for Lotus.

Well at least in Bahrain it will be dry qualifying so we can probably finally see the true qualifying pace of Williams too. Second race in row where Bottas stormed from the back to the points lol.

Draconian

at least P4 and Alonso overtook the Hulk. Kimi is just a mess, it's almost like he isn't a world champion. In the Lotus he had no issues catching up, here nothing.

Yeah, you're right. Kimi all of a sudden forgot how to drive this season. Some of the posts we get in here are just laughable.

Draconian

Yes, and he retired. I guess FIA is taking this very seriously given what happened to the cameraman in the pitlane in GER 2013 (and it was RBR too!)

Pretty much. They've shown in decreasing the pit lane speed as well as this new rule that they are emphasizing safety and they are going to come down very harshly on unsafe releases this year.

Has there been any report as to what caused Ricciardo's wing damage after the pit stop? Was it really caused when they jacked the car up to adjust his tire? If so loooooool at RBR.

Yeah, I have no sympathy for Massa at all. If you're going to beg your team to tell Bottas to back off earlier in the race, then you should follow team orders yourself.

DD

I have no sympathy for Massa at all. If you're going to beg your team to tell Bottas to back off earlier in the race, then you should follow team orders yourself.
He was attacking Magnussen. How the hell could he attack and defend at the same time? At the end of the race, the team did not ordered him to give his position. They said that Bottas was faster than him, and told him not to hold him. It was very different than Hockenheim '10, where he clearly received an order to let Alonso pass.

There was no strong attack from Bottas (a clear overtaking move) at the end of the race. Felipe didn't even had to change his line. So why the hell should him hand his position? Was Bottas really that faster to overtake Massa AND Button within just a few laps? Do you guys think that he raised the foot in respect of Massa and the team? Lol, unecessary drama here...

Razgreez

This whole Ricciardo thing just feels like they're kicking a guy while he's down, then kicking him again for good measure.

This is incredibly bad luck for a guy that seems so nice. I wonder how much he'll be able to take before he stops smiling.

He's not only taken webber's seat but his "luck" too.

Is that a thing?

Oh hell yeah. I've seen it all over the place.

Do you guys think that he raised the foot in respect of Massa and the team? Lol, unecessary drama here...

When he was asked to back off, twice, within the same race? Yes.

Of course, our opinion is irrelevant here. Massa's problem is that he's likely pissed off a bunch of people within his own team... and that's going to do him no favours at all.

Yeah, you're right. Kimi all of a sudden forgot how to drive this season. Some of the posts we get in here are just laughable.

Not to mention that in post race interviews Kimi suspected that driving with flat tyre damaged the floor as he felt that the car didn't have the usual amount of downforce after the accident. He is also hoping that the upgrades to the car in Bahrain will make the front wing more easily controllable (kimi has had problems with it). We shall see.

Check my other post.

Like I said though, Massa will reap what he sows with that bullshit. If nothing else you can guarantee he started the day with more fans than he ended it with. The problem is, a lot of those fans were at Williams.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom