• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT| Who Will Win? Nobody Nose

Status
Not open for further replies.

DD

So why is everybody ignoring the fact that Bottas ignored the team orders (to cool down the engine) at the end of the race too? Only Massa to blame?

If Massa had lend his position, everybody would be saying that he's a joke, an eternal 2nd driver and such. It's a funny situation here. Whatever he does, the guy's to blame.

You realise that we get team radio on a delay right?

Also, are you forgetting that Massa whined to the team that Bottas tried to overtake him earlier in the race? Happy enough to use team orders there.

TCRS

Banned
Yeah, you're right. Kimi all of a sudden forgot how to drive this season. Some of the posts we get in here are just laughable.

dude, I wrote this minutes after the race, I was angry and disappointed. this has been a very shitty start for Ferrari and I can't take any more disappointments by that team. I feel sorry for Alonso and Kimi. Both great drivers with shitty cars (relatively) and even worse team management. they need to get it together by the time the european season starts and fight for the title damn it. I can't take another year of P4s and 5s.

It's amazing that they keep getting it wrong... and I can point to one particular reason, one reason who really shouldn't be at the team any more.

joke's on them, they misspelled his name

Maybe they can get out of it on a technicality.

Got this from autosport forum:

c) If a car is deemed to have been released in an unsafe condition during a race the driver
concerned will receive a ten grid place penalty at the driver’s next Event. However, if
any car released in an unsafe condition is able to resume the race a penalty under
Article 16.3© will also be imposed on the driver concerned.

Yep, new rule for this year I think.

tm24

Just watched the race. Goddamn that was crazy. This stuff is crazy and so much drama. It's like, ignoring team orders is more intense than wrestling storylines

Pimpwerx

dude, I wrote this minutes after the race, I was angry and disappointed. this has been a very shitty start for Ferrari and I can't take any more disappointments by that team. I feel sorry for Alonso and Kimi. Both great drivers with shitty cars (relatively) and even worse team management. they need to get it together by the time the european season starts and fight for the title damn it. I can't take another year of P4s and 5s.
Good thing you weren't a fan before Schuey got there. I only remember a few seasons, but when Jean Alesi is your hope, you keep taking L's. In my time watching Ferrari, the Schumacher years have been the only ones where they weren't middling. PEACE.

Ark

It's actually not a bad start really. They've got a solid base to work off. As long as their upgrades work and they can pump them out quickly enough I'm confident they'll pull out another 2010.

It's amazing that they keep getting it wrong... and I can point to one particular reason, one reason who really shouldn't be at the team any more.

Stefano-Domenicali.jpg

For sure things are not perfect but we for sure know where to improve and for sure our engineers back in Marenello know what to do for sure.

RoKKeR

Finally got caught up with the race results. Not surprised to see Merc go 1 and 2, good on Vettel for making it to the end I suppose? Not a ton of sympathy for Ricciardo but that gird must hurt.

Looks like it was a solid finish for Williams but they could have done better. They clearly still have some work to do but the fact that they are having both cars in the points is a massive improvement over last season. Seems like there was maybe a bit of drama between Massa and Bottas? Will have to catch up on that.

Race worth watching on replay? I at least want to catch the beginning and the end.

Pimpwerx

Finally got caught up with the race results. Not surprised to see Merc go 1 and 2, good on Vettel for making it to the end I suppose? Not a ton of sympathy for Ricciardo but that gird must hurt.

Looks like it was a solid finish for Williams but they could have done better. They clearly still have some work to do but the fact that they are having both cars in the points is a massive improvement over last season. Seems like there was maybe a bit of drama between Massa and Bottas? Will have to catch up on that.

Race worth watching on replay? I at least want to catch the beginning and the end.
Not really. Haven't seen any overtaking stats, but felt very processional. It might be because I only care about Lewis, Hulk (if he was shorter, he'd be at one of the big3 now) and Ricciardo (just to beat Vettel 😉). I don't remember more than some early excitement and then late drama. PEACE.

Yagami_Sama

I expected Button to finish in top 4. I hope that they improve in the next race.
Something weird in this race was see Vettel in third. XD

Pimpwerx

Sign with Ferrari they said. One day Alonso..
Teaming with Lewis was the real mistake. McLaren would've won with either or Lewis in that first year, just not both. Fonso conceivably be tied with Seb and Prost with 4 WDCs. Too bad for him and Lewis. Alonso followed money more than success. It's surprising, because Briatore was his agent and still had contact with Schumacher. If he wanted to go to Ferrari all along, that deal coulda been struck without the stopover at McLaren. Truth be told, I think Alonso is shrewd enough he knew Ferrari were not in position to challenge immediately, whereas McLaren was. Ferrari was a 2nd choice IMO (remarkable given their history and budget) and we all know how Plan Bs workout.

He had the 3rd fastest lap today despite having the 3rd fastest car. So there's potential in the package. It could be worse...they could be McLaren. PEACE.

mclem

Please a further 10-place grid penalty...

Anyway, Bahrain was unlikely to suit RBR anyway. 3 long straights with heavy acceleration zones. This has Mercedes/Williams written all over it. And maybe Ferrari.

If they get many more grid penalties, next week Ricciardo will be starting in Abu Dhabi.

I would like to congratulate a member of GAF league on F1 manager on his/her team's name, Andrea Moda. Memories from an ancient past (1992) :D

1.jpg

both the FIA and the other teams were out of sympathy, and warned the team (Andrea Moda) that they needed to make a serious attempt to run McCarthy and generally sort their act out or the team would be out of F1. For the Belgian Grand Prix both cars would be allowed into the official qualifying sessions as Brabham had withdrawn, reducing the entry to 30 cars. Neither car qualified and Sassetti was arrested in the paddock for allegedly forging invoices. When the team showed up at Monza for the Italian Grand Prix in September it was refused entry into the paddock, the FIA having banned the team from the series for bringing the sport into disrepute.

And Sassetti, the team owner, is a pretty interesting person himself

During 1992 a suspected case of arson destroyed Sassetti's discothèque on the east coast of Italy, and as he fled from the flames, a gunman shot at him, but missed.

RoKKeR

'Valterri is faster than you'

XDh2Ioz.gif

LOL

Watched the end of the race, the Williams drama was pretty interesting. I'm sort of biased towards Bottas for being the younger driver here, and Massa's whining at the beginning about Bottas was quite hypocritical considering his actions at the end of the race. I'm not sure if I'm a fan of team orders but they're the ones putting you in the car. Despite all of that, Bottas didn't get past him so there's something to be said there. Maybe he didn't put the pressure on after Massa decided not to comply? Who knows.

I'm all for some competition between teammates, should be pretty interesting. Either way, glad to see Williams in the points.

Great race by Hamilton, genuinely seems like a good dude, giving some serious love to the entire team afterwards!

Glad that there's only a one week turn around until the next race, and that it's at a more reasonable time.

Draconian

I'm not happy with Ferrari in recent years, but I'm not going to direct my anger towards Alonso or Kimi. They're two of the most talented drivers on the grid by far. I think Kimi will get it together soon.

Teaming with Lewis was the real mistake. McLaren would've won with either or Lewis in that first year, just not both. Fonso conceivably be tied with Seb and Prost with 4 WDCs. Too bad for him and Lewis. Alonso followed money more than success. It's surprising, because Briatore was his agent and still had contact with Schumacher. If he wanted to go to Ferrari all along, that deal coulda been struck without the stopover at McLaren. Truth be told, I think Alonso is shrewd enough he knew Ferrari were not in position to challenge immediately, whereas McLaren was. Ferrari was a 2nd choice IMO (remarkable given their history and budget) and we all know how Plan Bs workout.

He had the 3rd fastest lap today despite having the 3rd fastest car. So there's potential in the package. It could be worse...they could be McLaren. PEACE.
McLaren are ahead of Ferrari this year so far.

dubc35

LOL

Watched the end of the race, the Williams drama was pretty interesting. I'm sort of biased towards Bottas for being the younger driver here, and Massa's whining at the beginning about Bottas was quite hypocritical considering his actions at the end of the race. I'm not sure if I'm a fan of team orders but they're the ones putting you in the car. Despite all of that, Bottas didn't get past him so there's something to be said there. Maybe he didn't put the pressure on after Massa decided not to comply? Who knows.

I'm all for some competition between teammates, should be pretty interesting. Either way, glad to see Williams in the points.

Great race by Hamilton, genuinely seems like a good dude, giving some serious love to the entire team afterwards!

Glad that there's only a one week turn around until the next race, and that it's at a more reasonable time.

I agree about the team orders stuff. I think Massa on the radio compared to Bottas is a reflection of their background/culture. I think Coulthard mentioned that on the BBC broadcast.

Great drive by Lewis and Nico. It's all smiles and hugs now but if they keep winning and alternating the S is going to get real when it comes down to WDC. It's only been 2 GP's but I'm not seeing anyone besides MER winning WCC.

Terrible luck for RIC. :(

DrM

Redmond's Baby

Yeah, on medium component, meanwhile both Mercedes cars made their fastest lap on hard...
they have around 1,3 second deficit to Mercedes, issues with PU (just look at Sauber how are they struggling with that engine), car is looking several classes worse to drive compared to Mercedes and RBR. It is quite telling when Force India is racing your top driver for position...
I would like to see them sort this PU issues, but I fear that they got caught in trap with new rules and it will took some time to sort them out.

FuturusX

I love Lewis and I am happy for him and Mercedes. But I do wish the performance delta between Mercedes and the rest was closer. I want to see competitive racing and I believe in that scenario Lewis would still be on top or fighting the good fight with the very best.

On the other hand parity between cars is not desirable at all. The development race between teams is fascinating. It's what makes F1 so fascinating. For better or worse, I believe better, the combination of driver and machine development is wonderfully Darwinian.

Draconian

Really impressed with Hulkenberg today. If Force India can get Perez's car in order, they will do very well in the constructors this season.

FuturusX

The new regs does not suit his driving style they said... Nico is the more "intelligent" driver they said...

I remember when Lewis first emerged and there was talk of this kid who is a demon on the simulator at Mclaren HQ. He put in crazy hours to refine his blossoming skills, it was known then that this kid was dedicated to getting it at any cost.

Ferrari has potential. And not sure why the assumptions that they won't do well this year. They have Kimi and they're listening to him this time. The car WILL be much faster and will keep up.

Draconian

Ferrari has potential. And not sure why the assumptions that they won't do well this year. They have Kimi and they're listening to him this time. The car WILL be much faster and will keep up.

I think it started to go badly for them once the rain came this weekend. Kimi was 2nd quickest in two practice sessions, but wasn't as good in the rain and then the lap 1 incident ruined his race. They need a good result next week.

John_B

So realibilty is way better than expected, Red Bull is not the dominating team out the gate, Mercedes is not lapping their nearest competitors, Pirelli fixed the tyres, there are 5 world champions on the grid, and we have some exciting rookie talent introduced. Things could be much worse.

With Mercedes looking so bad just a few seasons ago, and everyone dooming Hamilton's career for his decision to join them, it's nice to see both shine for the time being.

And we even have a race this week as well. Cheer up.

Mohonky

I agree about the team orders stuff. I think Massa on the radio compared to Bottas is a reflection of their background/culture. I think Coulthard mentioned that on the BBC broadcast.

Great drive by Lewis and Nico. It's all smiles and hugs now but if they keep winning and alternating the S is going to get real when it comes down to WDC. It's only been 2 GP's but I'm not seeing anyone besides MER winning WCC.

Terrible luck for RIC. :(

I wouldnt say that. Red Bull have started on the back foot in a couple of seasons now, even struggling to get into Q2 at times, yet they have gone on to dominate from there......annnoyongly.

I wouldnt say that. Red Bull have started on the back foot in a couple of seasons now, even struggling to get into Q2 at times, yet they have gone on to dominate from there......annnoyongly.

Different story this year though because it's the engine letting them down. I'm not entirely sure just how much can be done about it at this point either because they can only make limited modifications as the engines were homologated on the last day of testing.

DBT85

I had managed to get to 7.25m in f1 manager.

seems like the calculations for buying new thigs is off and isn't displaying the 10% even if it does take that fee. Just thrown away a couple of mill as a result. ffs.

Was hoping to swap from Marussia chassis to Force India which it said I had the money to do as it wasn't removing the 10%. So I set the chassis to no team and in doing so lost the 10% even though it wasn't displayed. Never mind.

seems like the calculations for buying new thigs is off and isn't displaying the 10% even if it does take that fee. Just thrown away a couple of mill as a result. ffs.

Was hoping to swap from Marussia chassis to Force India which it said I had the money to do as it wasn't removing the 10%. So I set the chassis to no team and in doing so lost the 10% even though it wasn't displayed. Never mind.
You can roll back to previous team once per race.

Juicy Bob

Yeah, I was having problems before the weekend. The game seems awfully buggy to me.

Ark

It seems like without having the bets and predictions of the old F1RM that we're all going to end up tied for positions anyway.

dubc35

I haven't seen much mentioned about Kimi. What happened after the puncture? I expected him to storm back through the field...but nothing happened. I ask you because you're our resident Kimi expert.

Ferrari has had potential for 5 straight years now. The car will be good enough for the occasional podium, maybe steal 1 win somewhere in the season and finish 3rd in the constructors championship once again.

Different year, different rules, same shit.

#FireStefano

ramparter

Banned
Even if Ferrari have the 3rd fastest package right now, I just can't see them progressing better than Merc, RBR. It would a welcome surprise if they did.

Hasney

Ferrari has had potential for 5 straight years now. The car will be good enough for the occasional podium, maybe steal 1 win somewhere in the season and finish 3rd in the constructors championship once again.

Different year, different rules, same shit.

#FireStefano

Yup. Stefano and Whitmarsh are laughing stocks. At least McLaren took action.

Stefano Domenicali is clearly the Steve Ballmer of Formula 1. I really think that in most other sports, Stefano would've been fired a while ago. The question is, who could replace him?

Ark

Ross Brawn.

Really the only logical solution. Does anyone know how broad the responsibilities of the Ferrari team boss are? The new trend is clearly a business exec and a team boss, a la Mercedes and McLaren. I would assume LdM does all the business stuff and Domenicalli handles the team, but I've no idea.

Just asking because wasn't one of the reasons for Brawn's departure that he didn't want to relinquish half the responsibility (essentially)?

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Ross Brawn.
I do not think that we will see Ross Brawn in F1 once again.

Ferrari said (according to some Italian journos) that they will remap engine maps for Bahrain. I wonder what the final result will be...
Gazzeta reports that no upgrades for their car until Barcelona

And Williams will run without Martini logos in Bahrain due to alchohol advertising / banning laws

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom