• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT| Who Will Win? Nobody Nose

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krilekk

Banned
I do not think that we will see Ross Brawn in F1 once again.

Ferrari said (according to some Italian journos) that they will remap engine maps for Bahrain. I wonder what the final result will be...
Gazzeta reports that no upgrades for their car until Barcelona

And Williams will run without Martini logos in Bahrain due to alchohol advertising / banning laws

No upgrades until Europe is ridiculous but understandable when you invest 20 % of your overall budget in the salaries of two drivers. They have a similar budget as Red Bull but Vettel actually said "I have enough to have a good life, spend the rest on the car". That's why Ferrari won't be a WC as long as Alonso is around, they need to fix their ressource management.

itsgreen

BkEklRFIgAAxsw8.jpg:large

So yeah... that's that...

I do not think that we will see Ross Brawn in F1 once again.

Ferrari said (according to some Italian journos) that they will remap engine maps for Bahrain. I wonder what the final result will be...
Gazzeta reports that no upgrades for their car until Barcelona

And Williams will run without Martini logos in Bahrain due to alchohol advertising / banning laws

No upgrades till Spain...Solid decision, might as well shift focus on next years car already! Maybe then we van quality on the first row for once again.

Really the only logical solution. Does anyone know how broad the responsibilities of the Ferrari team boss are? The new trend is clearly a business exec and a team boss, a la Mercedes and McLaren. I would assume LdM does all the business stuff and Domenicalli handles the team, but I've no idea.

Just asking because wasn't one of the reasons for Brawn's departure that he didn't want to relinquish half the responsibility (essentially)?

Stefano is a baboon, but LdM is an as big a problem as well at the moment, trying to get too involved. Can't expect a team to function properly when the 2 guys at the top are fools.

Mastah

McLaren, never fails to dissapoint:

McLaren racing director Eric Boullier says that the team hopes to be in a strong position in Monaco and Montreal, even if it is still struggling with a lack of downforce.

He accepts that the next three races, which feature a lot of high speed corners and put a premium on aero efficiency, are going to be tough.

“It’s going to be quite, quite painful, we know this
,” he said when asked by this writer. “This is why we are in aggressive development mode already. Every race we bring parts, and I feel a bit of a relief today, for a lot of reasons. We spent the winter ensuring that we had a good correlation between the wind tunnel and the track, and it looks like it works out.”

Regarding Monaco and Montreal he agreed that the team could be at less of a disadvantage.

“Yeah obviously, because less downforce [in Montreal], and Monaco will be a different story as well, because in terms of fuel management you don’t have to worry. I think by then we should have recovered.”

http://adamcooperf1.com/2014/03/31/boullier-expecting-monaco-montreal-to-favour-mclaren/

Juicy Bob

If it wasn't for Alonso's inability to pass Petrov, Stefano would have won both the Constructors' and the Drivers' Championships for Ferrari by now.

EDIT: Clearly I don't mean HE would've won the Drivers' Championship...

DrM

Redmond's Baby
No upgrades till Spain...Solid decision, might as well shift focus on next years car already! Maybe then we van quality on the first row for once again

I think they thought about major upgrades, because they had some new stuff in Malaysia, but more on PU side of things. RBR is also planning huge upgrade package for Barcelona.

Mercedes will try to ship new pieces to Bahrain, otherwise they will have first big part upgrade in China.

Hasney

He must have fell quite hard on it to damage it because unless he weighs way more than 100kgs it should be possible to lean on it as it supports several hundreds of kgs downforce on the straights without breaking .

I think it's been posted to show that there was a guy in the pits without any safety equipment, which Red Bull are currently under investigation for.

RoKKeR

From reddit:

http://www.reddit.com/r/formula1/comments/21tvzs/williams_have_officially_suspended_felipe_massa/
Williams have officially suspended Felipe Massa after Malaysian Grand Prix controversy - Nasr to take his place for remainder of season

It got me.

On the same subject, here is some of the team radio on the final laps for Williams. Valterri seems to hold is cool for the most part, and it seems like they called him off it to keep engine temps reasonable after Massa wasn't having any of it. Going to be interesting to see what the fallout of this is in Bahrain...hopefully it'll push both of them further up the grid.

Interesting stuff.

Draconian

On the same subject, here is some of the team radio on the final laps for Williams. Valterri seems to hold is cool for the most part, and it seems like they called him off it to keep engine temps reasonable after Massa wasn't having any of it. Going to be interesting to see what the fallout of this is in Bahrain...hopefully it'll push both of them further up the grid.

Interesting stuff.

So basically this kills the "If Bottas was faster, he would've been able to pass Massa" theory?

NHale

Massa comes out very badly out of this. He didn't do anything wrong at the end if he didn't complained about Bottas and asked the team to tell him to back off his rear in the first part of the race.

You can't ask the team for team orders on lap 20 and then don't respect the team orders on lap 50.

Instead of coming out of this like a hero for refusing to accept team orders, he comes out as a complete hypocrite.

Dilly

Banned
If it wasn't for Alonso's inability to pass Petrov, Stefano would have won both the Constructors' and the Drivers' Championships for Ferrari by now.

If it wasn't for Alonso, they wouldn't have been in a position to win anything.

dubc35

Massa comes out very badly out of this. He didn't do anything wrong at the end if he didn't complained about Bottas and asked the team to tell him to back off his rear in the first part of the race.

You can't ask the team for team orders on lap 20 and then don't respect the team orders on lap 50.

Instead of coming out of this like a hero for refusing to accept team orders, he comes out as a complete hypocrite.
ForfuckssakeFelipe.gif

andshrew

Was he actually asking for team orders at the start? I took his message to mean Bottas had actually hit him when trying to overtake and he was just asking them to cool him down. It was Williams that decided to tell Bottas to hold station until after they were past Magnussen.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Was he actually asking for team orders at the start? I took his message to mean Bottas had actually hit him when trying to overtake and he was just asking them to cool him down. It was Williams that decided to tell Bottas to hold station until after they were past Magnussen.

That's team orders. Tell him to stop trying to overtake/stop being so aggressive.

andshrew

That's team orders. Tell him to stop trying to overtake/stop being so aggressive.

Telling him not to overtake or not be so aggressive are two different things though I wouldn't consider him asking that to be a team order rather common sense.

Juicy Bob

If it wasn't for Alonso, they wouldn't have been in a position to win anything.
I should clarify, I'm not criticising Alonso here. My point was that a Stefano-led Ferrari has won a Constructors' Championship and very, very nearly a Drivers' title too.

DBT85

We'll know for sure when we get the full transcript of the team radio. F1Fanatic usually post it a couple of days after the race.

I don't think that's everything, just everything that the FIA let out. I say that since for 60 odd laps and that many cars there isn't all that much talk and it's only usually the top drivers. No way every driver isn't talking to his engineer on the parade lap, yet we only see a few mentions of it in those transcripts.

I should clarify, I'm not criticising Alonso here. My point was that a Stefano-led Ferrari has won a Constructors' Championship and very, very nearly a Drivers' title too.

Constructors was in his very first year in the job. You have to wonder if it didn't have a little to do with Jean Todt's work in his previous role.

Massa

BkEklRFIgAAxsw8.jpg:large

So yeah... that's that...

The guy is also holding the car with only one hand... was he drunk?

So basically this kills the "If Bottas was faster, he would've been able to pass Massa" theory?

Before the team orders were called Bottas was told to overtake Massa and he never even attacked him.

Well, no he wasn't. He would've made the same complaint if any other car touched him.

Also someone did the math with the lap times and there was absolutely no way Bottas would catch and overtake Button by the end of the race. I don't know what the heck Williams were thinking.

Shaneus

Sounds like a carbon copy of Multi-21 last year. Down to the requesting for team orders/disobeying team orders. Of course, I didn't see it live, so maybe it's not at all similar.

Massa

Sounds like a carbon copy of Multi-21 last year. Down to the requesting for team orders/disobeying team orders. Of course, I didn't see it live, so maybe it's not at all similar.

Wasn't like that at all really, even if your view of the Magnussen-Massa-Bottas thing at the beginning of the race was a request for team orders (which I don't think it was). In fact it seems like most journalists seem to be on Massa's side here and criticizing Williams, just like they sided with Webber in the Multi-21 incident.

Draconian

Wasn't like that at all really, even if your view of the Magnussen-Massa-Bottas thing at the beginning of the race was a request for team orders (which I don't think it was). In fact it seems like most journalists seem to be on Massa's side here and criticizing Williams, just like they sided with Webber in the Multi-21 incident.

I'm not sure how that's similar. In that scenario, Webber was following team orders. In this scenario, Massa is the one not following them (though I guess it can be debated). To be honest, this wouldn't that big of a deal if it wasn't for Massa's history at Ferrari. The "How could you do this to Felipe?" question asked to Claire Williams after the race is pretty clear proof of that.

Massa

I'm not sure how that's similar. In that scenario, Webber was following team orders. In this scenario, Massa is the one not following them (though I guess it can be debated). To be honest, this wouldn't that big of a deal if it wasn't for Massa's history at Ferrari. The "How could you do this to Felipe?" question asked to Claire Williams after the race is pretty clear proof of that.

My point is that it wasn't similar to the Multi-21 scenario at all. Vettel disobeyed orders to gain a position over Webber with an unfair advantage, as Webber lowered power to bring the car home when he got jumped. Massa did it under completely different circumstances.

ramparter

Banned

lol!

Oh you wrote that yesterday.. I thought it was meant as an April's foolsday joke.

I haven't seen much mentioned about Kimi. What happened after the puncture? I expected him to storm back through the field...but nothing happened. I ask you because you're our resident Kimi expert.

After the puncture Kimi suspects that there was a floor damage, as the handling of the car was different. The strategy was to put him on the options so he can "storm back through the field" but it didn't work, so they opted to play it safe and go with the harder compound throughout the the race and try to make up positions by staying longer.

Towards the end he wasn't able to pass Gros because his tyres were really worn by then. It was a disaster of a race for Kimi, but the good thing is that he's liking the car more as proven on Friday and I bet he'll be quick in Bahrain

Ferrari has had potential for 5 straight years now. The car will be good enough for the occasional podium, maybe steal 1 win somewhere in the season and finish 3rd in the constructors championship once again.

Different year, different rules, same shit.

#FireStefano

Kimi wasn't there to harvest that potential ;)

Listening to him?

Yes, they're working to solve his issues and he's communicating better with the team. No more "get in, drive, and fuck off" approach from him either.

Alonso just said that there will be no magical change will happen in Bahrain. I'm ready to bet that Kimi will prove him wrong in few days

Deadman

My point is that it wasn't similar to the Multi-21 scenario at all. Vettel disobeyed orders to gain a position over Webber with an unfair advantage, as Webber lowered power to bring the car home when he got jumped. Massa did it under completely different circumstances.

There was no unfair advantage. It has been confirmed several times that both were using full power during the battle.

Massa is a dick. Fuck whatever has happened in the past with the phrase or whatever, he is an employee if Williams and should respect the team's instructions. If the team thought Bottas could have overtaken Button then Massa should have given way. Not to do so was disrespectful to the team's management. Also, it's clear enough that Bottas was faster than Massa, he recovered his stop go penalty quickly and it was clear Massa wasn't getting past Button. If only that April fool were true...

Juicy Bob

I don't think that's everything, just everything that the FIA let out. I say that since for 60 odd laps and that many cars there isn't all that much talk and it's only usually the top drivers. No way every driver isn't talking to his engineer on the parade lap, yet we only see a few mentions of it in those transcripts.
The F1F transcripts are only the stuff that's broadcast on FOM's pit lane channel that you can get as an alternative stream from certain providers like Sky F1, Sky Deutschland and BBC (but only during their live weekends)
and I should know, I'm the guy who does the transcripts after all!

There is of course loads of stuff being said over the radio to all the drivers during the race, but most of it isn't all that important or exciting. FOM have guys listening out for juicy stuff to broadcast and they just use more of it on the pit lane channel rather than the primary world feed.

Nicktendo86

Massa is a dick. Fuck whatever has happened in the past with the phrase or whatever, he is an employee if Williams and should respect the team's instructions. If the team thought Bottas could have overtaken Button then Massa should have given way. Not to do so was disrespectful to the team's management. Also, it's clear enough that Bottas was faster than Massa, he recovered his stop go penalty quickly and it was clear Massa wasn't getting past Button. If only that April fool were true...
Agree 100%, he needs to grow up. He was not getting past Button, let Bottas have a go. I think he was on fresher tyres as well?

Staab

Badly managed by the team is all :
They should've told Massa to let Bottas through so he could try and overtake Button but if he didn't manage it he would let him through back again.
Responsibility would then have been on Bottas and no potential loss for the Massa.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom