• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT| Who Will Win? Nobody Nose

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just found this in the PC Sim thread.

gZgVcVf.png

jey_16

Banned
I'll take Flav if it means we can win, look at Ron Dennis and his cheating ways coming back to McLaren although it's not helping them much

Flavio should stay away from F1 forever, fucking disgrace.

why when Pat Symonds, the guy who thought up Crashgate (and lied through his teeth about during the official inquiry), is flourishing at Williams?
If Symonds gets a seat at the dinner table, Flavio should get one too.

Hammer24

Banned

LOL

I see this and raise you a:

18577417182991568_5DwC7lGb_f.jpg

h83407248

stop-hammer-time.jpg

Stop-Hammer-Time.jpg

Hammer_Time.jpg

...and my alltime favorit:

hammer_time.gif

OK, enough spam. :)

Thomas Weber had an interview with AMuS, giving some behind the scenes words about Merc. Some tidbits:
- racing / motor sports has enough enemies in the Merc upper ranks
- the new F1 gave the enthusiasts enough ammunition to silence those critics, because all the new technologies used since this year are relevant to street cars
- more collaboration now between street car and racing engineers (wind tunnel, hybrid, cooling solutions etc.)
- on going back to V8 engines: "That's yesterdays engine. Going back would mean the highest class of motorsports would do oldtimer racing"

DrM

Redmond's Baby
- more collaboration now between street car and racing engineers (wind tunnel, hybrid, cooling solutions etc.)

Isn't this what Mercedes did with W05 cooling solution, when they asked street car department in Stuttgart for help?

Hammer24

Banned
Isn't this what Mercedes did with W05 cooling solution, when they asked street car department in Stuttgart for help?

Exactly. In exchange the street guys got some hybrid stuff for the s-class, and the wind tunnel in Sindelfingen gets shared.

I'll take Flav if it means we can win, look at Ron Dennis and his cheating ways coming back to McLaren although it's not helping them much

I agree. Flavio may be a massive cunt, but maybe that is what the team needs right now. Bring back the asshole mentality to Ferrari.

Pimpwerx

Thomas Weber had an interview with AMuS, giving some behind the scenes words about Merc. Some tidbits:
- racing / motor sports has enough enemies in the Merc upper ranks
- the new F1 gave the enthusiasts enough ammunition to silence those critics, because all the new technologies used since this year are relevant to street cars
- on going back to V8 engines: "That's yesterdays engine. Going back would mean the highest class of motorsports would do oldtimer racing"
In the end, every decision comes down to making F1 more economically viable in the future. The engines may not sound as nice yet, but we'll get used to it,and the tech will actually make its way to street cars. It was the right move, even if it still pains me to say it. PEACE.

This look much more complicated than Mercedes steering wheel

I believe every driver has a lot of options about how he wants the layout to be. That one looks extremely crowded and impractical to me.

On Sky a few weeks ago they interviewed a driver (can't remember who) and he showed his steering wheel. He explained that he had chosen to have most options on just two or three knobs, like the one in the middle at the bottom of that pic (the one with all the different colors). His looked far more managable than this one.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
I believe every driver has a lot of options about how he wants the layout to be. That one looks extremely crowded and impractical to me.

Well, here is Mercedes one in detail
sne15731_copyedit.jpg__666x374_q85_crop-smart_mask-0%203px%200%203px_upscale.jpg

-They need 24 man hours to service the wheel between events and each driver has 3 steering wheels on every event

And Mercedes new short nose failed crash test once again... I think they should scrap it

DBT85

I hope Mercedes win every race. Will be awesome.

If Nico and Lewis fight like they did in Bahrain then I agree entirely.

If one of them just waltzes off into the disntance then not really.

However I think Nico and Lewis are more closely matched than Mark and Sebastian ever were in those RBs with such crazy rear ends.

AndyD

aka andydumi
However I think Nico and Lewis are more closely matched than Mark and Sebastian ever were in those RBs with such crazy rear ends.

It really makes me wonder if its the cars, or the drivers that are so evenly matched. And it also makes me wonder if Red Bull ever approached tactics with an even hand like Merc seem to be doing. Who am I kidding, Vettel was always #1.

AndyD

aka andydumi
They're from Romania, I guess. It doesn't seem likely.

I happen to be Romanian and I just read up some Romanian articles. Forza Rossa seems to be the Ferrari dealership/distributor in Romania and seems relatively successful. But not enough to bankroll an F1 team. Although I think the Romanian government seems involved in backing the team and at least one of two owners of the dealership were former ministers.

Seems fishy on the funding, but it seems likely to be a Ferrari junior team based out of Europe. Which would not only have them close to Italy, but allow them to pull talent from Europe and money from Eastern Europe where it's less scrutinized compared to Western.

Huh, other articles seem to suggest it's connected to Kolles's efforts. So a Dacia branded car with Renault engine. But then why the Forza Rossa name?

DBT85

It really makes me wonder if its the cars, or the drivers that are so evenly matched. And it also makes me wonder if Red Bull ever approached tactics with an even hand like Merc seem to be doing. Who am I kidding, Vettel was always #1.

I'm sure that most of the time the two RBs were the same. But as nice a guy as Mark appears to be, he wasn't as fast as Sebastian. On occasion he would do it, but most of the time he couldn't keep up.

The issue this seasons is that we've had one race where there wasn't any competition, one race where Nico was struggling and Lewis walked off with it, and one race where Nico was faster but couldn't get past Lewis. I'm very much looking forward to this season playing out.

Well, here is Mercedes one in detail
sne15731_copyedit.jpg__666x374_q85_crop-smart_mask-0%203px%200%203px_upscale.jpg

That's probably the one they showed on Sky then.

If Haas is joining for '15 it will be very difficult to take them seriously if they don't make a major attempt to get a Merc engine. If they wait till '16 there is more of a case for taking one of the other manufacturers. They will have had two full off seasons to catch up by then, plus Honda will be available (exclusive to Mclaren for '15).

itsgreen

I am sure Haas will do an awesome job 3 seconds behind the rest...

If over 20 years F1 has learned me anything it is that new teams always disappoint. F1 is apparently very very hard.

ramparter

Banned
Problem with new teams is the budget. They expect to become comptetive soon without have enought to spend to do so. If you have constant backing and keep pushing you can make it.
(Bar -> Honda -> Brawn -> Mercedes)

edit
But yeah 99% Haas wont even be able to compete with Marussia & Caterham in its first year. If they haven't accepted that already they are in for a big surprise.

Ark

BAR was Tyrell. Not really a new team.

Are we classifying a new team as an entirely new team from the receptionist to the CEO or just the management?

Red Bull and Mercedes are the stand-outs of the last decade to me. As long as the upper management isn't blind to the realities of modern Formula 1, I reckon they should be alright.

Dead Man

Are we classifying a new team as an entirely new team from the receptionist to the CEO or just the management?

Red Bull and Mercedes are the stand-outs of the last decade to me. As long as the upper management isn't blind to the realities of modern Formula 1, I reckon they should be alright.

BAR bought Tyrell and then changed personnel. I don't think they fired everyone and started fresh, did they?

Everyone remembers BAR used to be Tyrell, but the lineage is pretty weak in comparison to Toleman (Lotus), Jordan (Force India), or Stewart (Red Bull). BAR closed the Tyrell factory, and sold all their assets. My definition of a new team is one with a new factory, so I'd call BAR a new team.

Problem with new teams is the budget. They expect to become comptetive soon without have enought to spend to do so. If you have constant backing and keep pushing you can make it.
(Bar -> Honda -> Brawn -> Mercedes)

edit
But yeah 99% Haas wont even be able to compete with Marussia & Caterham in its first year. If they haven't accepted that already they are in for a big surprise.

Not if those teams retain their middling Renault/Ferrari PU and Haas gets a Mercedes engine package. Haas also has a top flight wind tunnel around where their base of operations is supposed to be.
Theoretically, Mercedes should jump at the opportunity to work with a US based team.

DBT85

Will be interesting to see how a US based team do considering so much of the season is in Europe. That's a ton of air miles.

Not if those teams retain their middling Renault/Ferrari PU and Haas gets a Mercedes engine package. Haas also has a top flight wind tunnel around where their base of operations is supposed to be.
Theoretically, Mercedes should jump at the opportunity to work with a US based team.

I'd agree. Supplying Haas with a full drivetrain would be good for both sides and with McLaren losing Merc power next year they are probably going to look to supply someone else, and everyone else is already tied up with contracts with Renault and Ferrari.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
I think that Mercedes will gladly provide PU to another team in 2015. And their PU will be hot stuff

Will be interesting to see how a US based team do considering so much of the season is in Europe. That's a ton of air miles.

I would think they will need to have an in-season base in Europe for the race team. The engineering and manufacturing will presumably be the part of the operation that is based in Charlotte.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom