• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT| Who Will Win? Nobody Nose

Status
Not open for further replies.
so, the rumour is that Haas' European base of operations will be in Italy as he is looking at Maranello to supply the PU.
I really hope he doesnt go with Ferrari.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
so, the rumour is that Haas' European base of operations will be in Italy as he is looking at Maranello to supply the PU.
I really hope he doesnt go with Ferrari.

Probably just continuation of rumor that they are in talks with Ferrari and Mercedes
England would be far more logical choice, because majority of teams are stationed there.

As for new Mercedes nose, that failed crash test for fifth time, I think they will go with another car development path (maybe that short nose is part of B plan) and try to get that nose to work in 2015

Zeknurn

I hope for the sake of the Haas team that they are looking at other engine suppliers than Ferrari. Even BMW's non-existent engine would be a better choice.

F1Manager has finally updated the points after the DST kerfuffle and here's top ten:
IunIkQe.png

It looks like things are starting to happen as I shot up to 4th position from way below. Next race should be interesting.

Dilly

Banned
I still don't get how I'm supposed to change anything in my F1manager team. Lay-out makes no sense. I can't buy anything new.

I hope for the sake of the Haas team that they are looking at other engine suppliers than Ferrari. Even BMW's non-existent engine would be a better

Ford are rumoured to be returning in 2015, Cosworth have an engine, they're building a new factory, they've poached staff from Mercedes, Haas to be powered by the Ford Eco Drive Cosworth.

I hope for the sake of the Haas team that they are looking at other engine suppliers than Ferrari. Even BMW's non-existent engine would be a better choice.

F1Manager has finally updated the points after the DST kerfuffle and here's top ten:
IunIkQe.png

It looks like things are starting to happen as I shot up to 4th position from way below. Next race should be interesting.

Haha, there are like 60 people in equal 8th place!

shas'la

Probably just continuation of rumor that they are in talks with Ferrari and Mercedes
England would be far more logical choice, because majority of teams are stationed there.

As for new Mercedes nose, that failed crash test for fifth time, I think they will go with another car development path (maybe that short nose is part of B plan) and try to get that nose to work in 2015

I hope they haven't invested too heavily into this for their development throughout the season.

There is definitely something in the water. I got a second source on the alleged Sony sponsorship deal. Slightly different figures though. $100m start and it rises depending on the end of season performance. The maximum payout would be close to $135m if McLaren delivered a WCC and WDC according to the source. Xperia pops up again. With F1 expanding into the US in 2015 the case for sponsorship gets stronger. The guy said the deal should be signed by the end of the European leg.

Edit: he also added that the marketing money for it would come from London (meaning Sony Mobile, not Sony Corp.). It goes some way to explaining why Sony would be going for team sponsorship rather than event sponsorship which is their usual MO.

Just deleted my f1manager account, this is ridiculous, could do no changes after 3 races...

I managed to upgrade from a Marussia to a Toro Rosso engine after the last race, but I agree, the whole game is poorly balanced and should have allowed for more variations at race one, not 3/4 of the way through the season or even later as it is now.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
As for the latter: I would have expected this later. Isn´t it a fine family tradition by now to chop off heads after FER getting lapped in Barcelona?

Maybe they tried shock tactic this time? Also Marco Mattiacci has no racing experience at all, currently in command of Ferrari America division, he is very valued in Maranello.
Probably only guy that they could find in such short time.

LOL AMuS is having live ticker from hearing in Paris. Just put in in Google Translate.

DBT85

Oh, FIA hearing in fuel flow sensor affair is underway in Paris

Its a tough one. I like Riccy and he did well in that race and at home as well it was a big deal. But RBR doing what they want could make a mockery of the fuel restrictions this year.

There are also members from thoer teams in attendance

Rival teams Mercedes, McLaren, Lotus, Williams and Force India are also part of the hearing, several choosing to send senior technical personnel.

Lotus technical director Nick Chester and trackside operations director Alan Permane, along with Williams chief technical officer Pat Symonds, McLaren trackside systems engineer Filippo Sappa and Mercedes race team electronics leader Evan Short are among those listed by the FIA as present.

Hammer24

Banned
Oh my, AMuS is doing a Live Ticker for the FIA panel.

Interesting takeaways thus far:
- RIC over the limit in every lap of the race but the 5 SC laps, according to FIA lawyer
- MER lawyer said they did it on purpose, gaining .4secs a lap
- Paul Monaghan: engine in Malaysia in different temps, so there the FIA was right, in Australia not
- FIA lawyer wants to know how much slower they´d have been, if they had gone with the FIA fuel flow; answer: .4secs a lap (so MER was right)
- FIA lawyer asking, how RBR gets to their own results; Monaghan says they don´t measure but go by a mathematical model they think is more precise
- Monaghan says they didn´t bring enough sensors with them, so they had to go back to one they believe was faulty
- Monaghan says they ran the engines water cooling at 20° more in Malaysia than in Melbourne, which changed the fuel temp and thus their own mathematical model is closer to FIA measuring

...to be continued

Hammer24

Banned
List of participants:

RBR: Christian Horner, Adrian Newey, Paul Monaghan, Jeff Calam, Renault engineer David Mart and three lawyers
FIA: Charlie Whiting, Fabrice Lom (engine expert) and several lawyers
MER: Evan Short
MCL: Filippo Sappia
LOT: Alan Permane, Nick Chester
WIL: Pat Symonds
FOI: lawyer Leslie Ross
judge: Harry Duijm, Netherlands

Hammer24

Banned
- lawyers nailing Monaghan on the number of sensors; they had four (2 VET, 2RIC) and one in the spare car
- RBR claims all four were faulty
- lawyers want to know, why they didn´t try the one built into the spare car, which could have worked
- RBR say they didn´t think of it, and sent the spare car back to England for repairs

Jibbed

- lawyers nailing Monaghan on the number of sensors; they had four (2 VET, 2RIC) and one in the spare car
- RBR claims all four were faulty
- lawyers want to know, why they didn´t try the one built into the spare car, which could have worked
- RBR say they didn´t think of it, and sent the spare car back to England for repairs

This is already falling apart for RBR.

Hammer24

Banned
- Monaghan released from the bench, next up is David Mart for questioning (as soon as they find him, seems to be on a restroom break)

Hammer24

Banned
- Mart arguing for the validity of RBR mathematical model; says Fabrice Lom had the chance to check it out, and it was shown to be within .4% at three different temp points
- Mart has to concede, that under extreme conditions, the delta could be up to 1.5%
- Harris argues, that the input data for the RBR math model is solely under control of RBR, no one can independently check on it
- he points out, that FIA ordered all teams on the failing of a sensor to use a 1.015% offset, can´t see where RBR did this
- Harris grilling Mart: Why didn´t they go by the FIA offset? Not my decision. Is it right you did doubt that decision? Yes I did. But its normal to doubt, those rules are so new.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
I do not know why are some Ferrari fans so reluctant that Ross Brawn should return? It took him three full seasons to put Mercedes in order, he would need similar time at Ferrari and I think that he is done with F1, as he said when he announced his retirement.

Hammer24

Banned
- Newey now up: says he got informed by Lom that ignoring the FIA offset would be a break of the rules. He told Lom they doubt the FIA measuring, and would be at a severe disadvantage to go by it.

Hammer24

Banned
I guess we are finding out why they call Harris "the pitbull".
Harris: Would you agree if FOI or LOT ignored the FIA if they think the measuring is faulty?
Newey: Yes, if they can prove it.
Harris: Would you ignore the FIA car weighing, if you´d think the scale to be broken?
Newey: Yes, if we´d think the difference to be too large, we would.
More comedy: some FIA lawyer asks a question in French. No one understands him, so he is asked to repeat his question. Still no understanding more than "Melbourne" and "8 laps". Newey shroughs and starts to quote some documents from Monaghan, perplexed looks all around.

Nicktendo86

Newey gone, Jeff Calam gets to the bench.
No one wants to ask him a single question. Laughing all around, Calam can go.
Reb bull literally being laughed out? Lol. Serious though, they have no case do they? They need to be punished further for bringing the sport into disrepute in my honest opinion.

Hammer24

Banned
Reb bull literally being laughed out?

Judge Duijm made clear he wants quick proceedings, and only questions to be asked that give more data then the stuff already on paper. Calam is "only" a project engineer, I doubt he could shed new light, and he also didn´t have anything to decide at RBR.

Serious though, they have no case do they? They need to be punished further for bringing the sport into disrepute in my honest opinion.

Well, there are two things going on here. One is the ffs, and this being a new rule is certainly up for discussion, no doubt. But the place to discuss this is not the court.
The second thing is RBR ignoring the FIA, and even going so far as to say they´d do it again, and not just with the ffs. I can´t imagine this going down very well. While the FIA might well be wrong, they have to make sure everyone competes under the same rules. So when the FIA is wrong, its wrong for everyone the same way.
RBR ignoring this, and saying they´d do so again, is IMO unacceptable.

Hammer24

Banned
- Lom is now up. He is asked to describe the difference between the FIA sensor measuring, and the RBR math model. He steps to a chalkboard and starts explaining. Teams busy making notes while he explains RBRs model.
- Lom explains, that the FIA changed the offset by 1.5% in Fridays FP, basically reducing the fuel flow for everyone about this amount. He says RBR didn´t figure that offset into their model, so they came to a different result. He´s convinced, car #3 had a fully working sensor on Friday.
- Lom says, the ffs gave the same numbers in Malaysia as in Australia. The only discernible difference was the air temp. In AUS they used FFS #73, ind MAL FFS #210. Despite coming from a different production run, it gave identical measurings.

Hammer24

Banned
- RBR lawyers want to throw out Lom´s arguments. They say he couldn´t anticipate the Malaysia readings in Melbourne. So how did he know the measuring to be right? Lom answers, because the ffs did function despite being built in and out of the car several times, and still gave nonvarying readings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom