• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT| Who Will Win? Nobody Nose

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
I said damn
Mercedes-Nase-GP-China-2014-fotoshowImage-52ad7286-772284.jpg

As user BoristheBlade on F1 techincal translated AMuS article
As maybe most of you might know by now, the crash test is separated into different sections with different demands.

The first part is that while crashing the first 15cm of the crash structure you must not exceed 10g deceleration.
The second part is while absorbing the first 60kJ there must be no more than 20g deceleration.

Mercedes' interpretation to the first part was this:
The 15cm start at the leading edge of the front wing. So before you actually reach the nose-tip the first 15cm will already be gone. Having less than 10g while effectively crashing the front-wing was no problem.

But the FIA didn't agree with that interpretation. They demanded the first 15cm to start with the nose-tip.

So the challenge for Mercedes was to design a nose that is really short, must be very soft at the first 15cm and not too stiff after that in order to pass the second part as well.
That's why their band-aid was to effectively extend the nose-cone for the first 15cm until hey were able to pass the test with the short one.

Shaneus

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/500x/23400926.jpg[IMG]

Bad luck evens out over a timespan.[/QUOTE]
Hope so. Hoping that all the bad luck Vettel avoided while Webber was #2 happens within the space of one season. And that season happens to be when Merc aren't #1 and RIC has a chance for WDC.

A man can dream :(

pants

Will have to respectively disagree there, I honestly think Hamilton is the best driver in the world, closely followed by Alonso. No one can touch them, if they were all in equal machinery.

I disagree, Kimi is certainly in the same league.

I think Bahrain proved Lewis is at least a little better than Nico.
Eh, we'll see come seasons end, I hesitate to read too much into last season since they were fighting for effectively nothing, I figure with the title on the line we'll see this season who the better of the two is always had my eye on Nico since way back at Williams.

I disagree, Kimi is certainly in the same league.

Eh, we'll see come seasons end, I hesitate to read too much into last season since they were fighting for effectively nothing, I figure with the title on the line we'll see this season who the better of the two is always had my eye on Nico since way back at Williams.

It's clear that Kimi does not belong in the top bracket of drivers (Alonso, Hamilton, Vettel). He hasn't been the same on Bridgestone/Pirellis than on Michelins. Or maybe it's the McLaren he's missing? His overall pace is just not what it used to be in the McLaren, and I am a big fan of his.

Getting trounced by Massa in 2008 and 2009 did not help his standing, and he's also nowhere in the Ferrari at the moment.

What also doesn't help Kimi is his inability to drive a car that doesn't suit him or is badly setup. More than ALO, HAM, VET, he requires a car to his liking, much like Button indeed. Once he has that, he is unbeatable (see 2013 Australian GP), but if he doesn't have that, he is prone to get shown up by Massa/Grosjean, etc.

malyce

Hope Nico didn't bite off more than he can chew by saying he's going for the win this weekend. He has nothing to prove really, he's fast. If he wants to quiet doubters he needs to do it on track. Only way I see him winning the WDC tbh is if Lewis' has a higher DNF count due to mechanical failure. Not extending his 25 point lead after Aus isn't exactly doing him any favors either. If Lewis wins this weekend Nico is gonna have to show that he's just as hungry for that WDC as Lewis is or else it's a wrap.

gunther

Chances are that nico will win this wdc. Hamilton has maturea lot but he will do something stupid during the year. Hamilton it's way to aggresive and under pressure for the wdc I see him making some mistakes.

Chris R

If Nico is consistent he will win the WDC. He could finish 2nd every race and win I bet. Lewis is just a loose cannon like that and will slip up enough times to not win it.

Chances are that nico will win this wdc. Hamilton has maturea lot but he will do something stupid during the year. Hamilton it's way to aggresive and under pressure for the wdc I see him making some mistakes.

I don't see how you can say that after Bahrain. Sure, Hamilton is a hothead and that could get him in trouble but it's not as big a worry from the front of the grid. Also, Nico just isn't on the same level as Hamilton, Alonso el al.

Edit: I think you're all making a bit of an assumption in thinking that Nico will be able to get consistent 2nd place every race and Hamilton will have the inevitable DNFs.

AndyD

aka andydumi

If they are allowed to battle, I can see them taking each other out at least once during the season, allowing someone else to win. However, I don't see that changing anything in terms of Mercedes still winning both championships at this pace. Nothing we are seeing indicates the other teams are making huge strides forward.

gunther

forget abot other teams,, so far hamilton has been actually pretty minded with his drive but he is not vettel. Ham was really pron to mistakes in mclaren due to presion and his agressive driving. I love how he drives and there is no doubt that he is the fastest but not the most reliable, anyway will see.

Ark

forget abot other teams,, so far hamilton has been actually pretty minded with his drive but he is not vettel. Ham was really pron to mistakes in mclaren due to presion and his agressive driving. I love how he drives and there is no doubt that he is the fastest but not the most reliable, anyway will see.

It utterly shocks me that people still think this. We clearly haven't been watching the same sport.

You're mad. By your own logic we can't compare Rosberg to Schumacher because they too, were effectively fighting for nothing.

Draconian

McLaren saying they're going to make a big jump this weekend? Where have we heard this before? I'll believe it when I see it, because right now Australia's looking a bit like fool's gold.

kmag

Of course this all assumes that RBR hasn't righted the ship in time for Seb to win another.

I'm not sure they can. Mercedes have a very good aero package and their PU is just far superior. As the PU's are now locked except for software upgrades then I don't see how RB can get that close via software upgrades alone. I had hoped for the sake of the championship that it might get to the point where RB can probably compete in some of the more technical aero dominated tracks but the Merc looks as glued to the deck as the RB.

malyce

He doesn't need to be. There's a lot LESS pressure when you're leading the race KNOWING you have the fastest car on the grid i.e controlling the race. Granted that RBR didn't have the huge advantage that Merc is enjoying right now, but Vettel had no competition, unlike Lewis this year. There was hardly ever any reason for Seb to be on the limit like Lewis has been. There was a gap to RBR that Lewis and Alonso had to make up with raw speed/talent as their cars just weren't as good. While Seb on the other hand dominated his races to the point where he got bored, always with extra pace in hand and when he pushes the car, he's always told to back off. Compare that to the rest of the pack that's actually fighting for places and you're bound to have errors. And then there's 2012 where Lewis finally had a car that was on par with RBR, drove a damn near perfect season, only the have McLaren fuck it all up.

pants

It utterly You're mad. By your own logic we can't compare Rosberg to Schumacher because they too, were effectively fighting for nothing.
I absolutely wouldnt compare the two because Schumacher was past his prime, sure you can infer some stuff but thats not a fair comparison

Mobius 1

I'm stupid. Is that the nose they'll be using? Where's the penis? Anyone care to draw on that picture Wollan-style for me?

iWVHYqaYcUCJB.png

Practice 1 is about to start, by the way. If the smog doesn't choke the TV crew and the paddock first.

Edit - Maldonado already spun by missing a turn while looking at the steering wheel. I'm not making this up.

Mastah

Bottas getting shafted again #bancodobrasil:

WILLIAMS RACING ‏@WilliamsRacing 1h

Just over an hour and a half until the start of FP1. @FelipeNasr joins @MassaFelipe19 for the session. @ValtteriBottas back in for FP2

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Also Grosjean currently 6th

Weird Free Practice.

Soft compound is getting destroyed in few laps even on Mercedes

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Times are 3,4 second slower than last year's FP2

We won't see true order until Qualifying tomorrow. Maybe in FP3, if Mercedes powered teams decide to up their game. But there is still looming chance of rainfall.

Mercedes at 315 km/h in 7th at 11k RPMs... I do not know if they ran in conservative mode/fuel heavy on FP2, because their long run pace was not so dominant.

List of PU parts changes across the grid

Mastah

It's funny to see how wrong Rosberg was in predicting unrealistic top speeds in China:

Also Rosberg expecting tops speeds round 230MPH in China.

Yeah, right. They couldn't even hit 340kph with V10, so there's no way now they will get up to 370kph in China. Monza, though, will be superfast.

Reality:

1 44 Lewis Hamilton 14:46:30 331.1
2 6 Nico Rosberg 14:32:33 331.0

They should beable to break 340 kph barrier during the race with the slipstream and DRS, but that's about it.

anx10us

Banned
I'm stupid. Is that the nose they'll be using? Where's the penis? Anyone care to draw on that picture Wollan-style for me?

I don't get it, how does their nose look normal, whereas every other team has a anteater nose ? Can someone explain please ?

Nicktendo86

Well, the McLaren is still a dog. Where there hell is this famous in season development? I said before the season I thought it was a bit of a myth, and oI know it is still early, but others are bringing major updates at a much faster pace. Shocking that a team of McLaren's size is in this state.

Shaneus

I don't get it, how does their nose look normal, whereas every other team has a anteater nose ? Can someone explain please ?
That's essentially what I was getting at too, in case anyone was wondering. Can anyone explain for a couple of dunces like us?

pants

Nico Rosberg isnt holding off Lewis Hamilton for 10 laps on tyres a half second slower, with no DRS. His peaks dont reach the level of other elite drivers, though he's fast and consistent.

I see Rosberg as more of a Prost than a Senna. Let's talk again come the end of the season.

I'm not sure why people using Senna and Prost for Hamilton and Rosberg.

Rosberg was slower in all three weekends. There is nothing "smart" or stunning in any way if you only lead the WDC because of a DNF of your team mate.

pants

does he have a ton of money or sponsorships regardless of being a shitty driver or something?

Exactly this.

To be fair to him he has some decent speed though, but it's been evident for a long time he'll never get himself under control.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom