• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT2| Louder Than Formula E

f0rk

Anyone been to the Hungarian GP and have advice on where to stay in Budapest? Thinking that will be the one this year

Pimpwerx

Bought my ticket for the Sepang race. Now to figure out how I'm getting over there. LOL. Just under $100 for great seats. Can't beat that. PEACE.

I watched a bunch of videos, and to be honest they're all a bit crap. I went for Gold 4 in the end as you can pretty much guarantee a little action as it'll be at the end of the DRS straight. Sadly no overtakes into Silver 3 / 4 / Red Bull.

I will be going to the Gille Villeneuve circuit this June. Anyone whose been before, should I get seating at the start/finish line with a view of the frenetic activity in the pits, or should I go for a seating by the wall of champions, as its a spectacular deceleration zone and you can probably really see some incredible car control at that particular corner?
For 2016, I do want to get out to Silverstone, because I made a promise to myself that I would see that sensational Maggots and Becketts curves in first person: I consider that series of bends to be the best in open wheel racing.

dubc35

I will be going to the Gille Villeneuve circuit this June. Anyone whose been before, should I get seating at the start/finish line with a view of the frenetic activity in the pits, or should I go for a seating by the wall of champions, as its a spectacular deceleration zone and you can probably really see some incredible car control at that particular corner?

I haven't been there but have been close to going a couple times. I've always eyed grandstands 11 & 12 (turn 2). Search youtube for fan videos to give you a better idea of the view. There are parts of GS 11 or 12, I don't recall which, that have trees blocking the view of the start/finish so you'll want to avoid those.

e* here's GS 11, noted trees on the left.
14545-170061.jpg

Shaneus

So I've just realised that Austin is about a week after a pinball thing I want to go to in Chicago. Is it a good event to go to? Would be comparing it directly to Melbourne, of course :)

And isn't Mexico close as well? I guess I could do that the week later, too.

Business

For 2016, I do want to get out to Silverstone, because I made a promise to myself that I would see that sensational Maggots and Becketts curves in first person: I consider that series of bends to be the best in open wheel racing.

I spent a Friday in the Gilles Villenueve circuit during the NAPA Autopro weekend in 2012. Having walked around the whole circuit and tried all the stands I think turn 2 as suggested in the picture above would be your best choice.

All four years I've gone I have sat at the haripin. Well positioned jumbo-tron and lots of overtaking happens there. You also get to see the insane incoming speed + massive deceleration. I might try turn 2 this year just to see some cornering and to change things up.

All four years I've gone I have sat at the haripin. Well positioned jumbo-tron and lots of overtaking happens there. You also get to see the insane incoming speed + massive deceleration. I might try turn 2 this year just to see some cornering and to change things up.

It's nice to see some technique at turn 1, but I think the otherworldly braking for the hairpin is probably the best spectacle on the circuit. Best passing zone, best atmosphere too.

The Senna ess is better overall though. Longer sight time, race start, pit out. Being able to physically see when everyone pits, and where they rejoin is far superior to watching it on a screen (at home or at the track).

Lourio

Chiming in - I've been rotating between grandstands 31 (turns 8/9) and 33 (turns 6/7) the past 4 years @ Circuit Gilles Villeneuve. In terms of affordability and views, these are great choices as well - I prefer 33 because you sit closer to the track though.

Shame that F1 doesn't work like Le Mans. I hate not being able to pick my actual seat. In a lot of grandstands it can go from a sublime view to seeing nothing at all depending on where you are in the stand.

The main thing with grand stand 24 is there isn't a bad seat. A lot of times someone in the group we would get together would be flakey and even if we waited till late in the year we could get 3-5 seats next to each other in 24 and enjoy the race. 12 and 11 do look tempting, only $10 more too.

I don't tend to go for those. Pits aside, you only really see the cars at the start and then necksnappingly quickly going past for the rest of the race. I do the track invasions so there's not really much of an advantage at the end either.

Yeah, I can't quite remember the circumstance, but I'm sure it was a last minute thing. Sitting directly across from parc ferme, and the podium was pretty neat however. We could still see turn 1/2 as well, so not all was lost.

Lourio

Yeah, I can't quite remember the circumstance, but I'm sure it was a last minute thing. Sitting directly across from parc ferme, and the podium was pretty neat however. We could still see turn 1/2 as well, so not all was lost.

I need to get me some gold tickets one of these years.

edit: nice pic Takeover :)

Shaneus

Shame that F1 doesn't work like Le Mans. I hate not being able to pick my actual seat. In a lot of grandstands it can go from a sublime view to seeing nothing at all depending on where you are in the stand.
You can for the Melbourne one!

On that note for seats etc., anyone have impressions on Austin? Given I'll likely be in the country (Chicago) a week before, I'm contemplating whether it'd be worth going and if it stacks up to Melbourne.

Also, stick around the extra week and head down to Mexico as well?

News:

- Santander to stop F1 sponsorship. No timeframe, but the new management (Botin's daughter) is looking to exit F1.

- Mclaren Group is now Mclaren Technology Group: http://www.mclaren.com/group/news/articles/mclaren-group-becomes-mclaren-technology-group/

- Bahrein will most likely veto the Qatar GP, as they want to be the only GP for Arabs (Abu Dhabi is considered a GP for foreigners). However, it's just a verbal agreement and nothing written in a contract.

- New Torro Rosso has passed crash tests. Please be excited.

Draconian

You can for the Melbourne one!

On that note for seats etc., anyone have impressions on Austin? Given I'll likely be in the country (Chicago) a week before, I'm contemplating whether it'd be worth going and if it stacks up to Melbourne.

Also, stick around the extra week and head down to Mexico as well?

I went last season and had a blast. I can't tell you anything about the grandstands though. We just had GA passes.

Shaneus

9bz7w2tl.jpg

I went last season and had a blast. I can't tell you anything about the grandstands though. We just had GA passes.
Maybe I'd just rock GA as well. Seems like the thing to do if you're a first-timer from overseas (vs. trying to get an allocated seat and winding up with a shit one). You managed to get a decent spot when you went? Not too busy or too many fuckheads? I can only imagine I'd be pretty safe if I acted like a bogan Aussie while over there ;)

Nice. I'll keep that in mind when I do that one.
Absolutely. If you do and prices seem expensive via the overseas stores, let me know and I'll probably be able to organise one (or some) for you too. Or you could sit with my brother and me, but that'd require a commitment almost 12 months in advance!

Absolutely. If you do and prices seem expensive via the overseas stores, let me know and I'll probably be able to organise one (or some) for you too. Or you could sit with my brother and me, but that'd require a commitment almost 12 months in advance!

Cheers, will keep it in mind.

Zeknurn

@alanbaldwinf1: Had a good chat with @MalaysianGP this evening about 'very positive' Sepang contract talks with Bernie.
@alanbaldwinf1: This year's Malaysian GP could start earlier as a result of @Jules_Bianchi crash in Suzuka. Story here http://t.co/n79yIyPQZR
@alanbaldwinf1: Razali also made some interesting comments about engine noise. He was concerned last year, now thinks the V6s are attracting new fans.
@alanbaldwinf1: "What I noticed in the grandstands is that you get families with kids watching and enjoying Formula One better," he said.

Dilly

Banned
Ferrari late with their 2015 car, but they believe they will catch up.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/117362
"We're starting the season a bit late because the design of the new car was started late," said Marchionne, speaking at the Automotive News World Congress in Detroit.

"But we don't have to freeze the engine by the first race, so it will be a very interesting season.

"I think the car will get better as we go through the year."

Marchionne also believes that in new team principal Maurizio Arrivabene and technical director James Allison, Ferrari has exactly what it needs to move forward.

It's nice to want things.

Lach

My thoughts on earlier Malaysia GP
- on one hand "Augh, getting up even earlier!"
- on the other "Finally their stopping to have GP's at weird times at the convenience of European TV watchers..."

Top Bottom