• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT2| Louder Than Formula E

NHale

Ferrari late with their 2015 car, but they believe they will catch up.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/117362

It's nice to want things.

Fast forward to May:

"As another step in our path to getting competitive again, we decided to start fundamental improvements to our facilities in Maranello that will allow us to speed up the development process of the car and also improve our ability to correlate the results on the windtunnel to the race track"

Fast forward to May:

"As another step in our path to getting competitive again, we decided to start fundamental improvements to our facilities in Maranello that will allow us to speed up the development process of the car and also improve our ability to correlate the results on the windtunnel to the race track"
By June they'll stop working on the 2015 car and concentrate solely on the 2016 car.

Aiii

So not worth it
Next season can't come quickly enough. Sure, the gap between seasons is much smaller nowadays then when there were much less races, but still, gets so boring...

At least the car presentations and testing is starting soon.

I assume they couldn't do the same for the 2015 season because they fired everyone?
All they had left were the janitors. I highly doubt they know how to work the wind tunnel, though I'm going to assume they were the ones that programmed it in the first place.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Next season can't come quickly enough. Sure, the gap between seasons is much smaller nowadays then when there were much less races, but still, gets so boring...

At least the car presentations and testing is starting soon.

Less than two months till the first race :p

And that only will make sure the German GP is gone from the F1 calendar in the near future.

Rumors saying Mercedes will only debut their 2015 PU for the first European GP of the season.

Hasney

And that only will make sure the German GP is gone from the F1 calendar in the near future.

Rumors saying Mercedes will only debut their 2015 PU for the first European GP of the season.

Wait, is the European GP back or do you mean just generally once they're back in Europe as part of the tour?

Zeknurn

Kimi in the new 2015 gear
IivEWZ2.jpg

Vettel visiting some bakery
4CnWVDt.jpg

Kimi in the new 2015 gear
IivEWZ2.jpg
I just kind of realized this, but is McLaren the only team with a problem with tattoos? I remember Lewis having to cover his up during the tail end of the 2012 season. Not to mention the constant shaving, which didn't change until Whitmarsh took over and Jenson with his beard, there's also Alonso's infamous debut hair shearing.

Also the 3 manufacturers are going to block any development mid-season from Honda.

I don't really see that they have any leverage with which to do so. Iirc, there's nothing written in the rules to say that Honda have to abide by different engine development time frame to the other teams, the FIA just chose to interpret the loop hole differently for Honda, for whatever reason.

So if that's the case, if the other three attempt to "block" it, surely the FIA could just decide to renege their favorable interpretation of the loophole for everyone.

We simply can't end up with different teams having to abide by different rules

DBT85

The FIA stance is that to compete you need an engine that has been homologated before you can compete. Since the spec is the same as last year, an engine that was homologated last year can compete this year. Honda have no such engine.

malyce

So you guys are saying if we were to place the 2015 ferrari on a treadmill, attach it to a tow truck via a tow belt and allow the treadmill to match the wheels of the the car the tow truck still wouldn't be able to pull it forward?

Sorry ass team.

Nicktendo86

The FIA stance is that to compete you need an engine that has been homologated before you can compete. Since the spec is the same as last year, an engine that was homologated last year can compete this year. Honda have no such engine.
But on the 28th Feb they WILL have a homologated engine they could technically use credits on.

The whole situation is a mess and could have easily been avoided by not pandering to Ferrari.

So you guys are saying if we were to place the 2015 ferrari on a treadmill, attach it to a tow truck via a tow belt and allow the treadmill to match the wheels of the the car the tow truck still wouldn't be able to pull it forward?

Sorry ass team.
Alonso ran screaming towards a question mark that he fucked over rather than deal with that team for one more year.

DBT85

But on the 28th Feb they WILL have a homologated engine they could technically use credits on.

The whole situation is a mess and could have easily been avoided by not pandering to Ferrari.

But on the 28th of Feb they will have then used their one Homologation per year, therefore not allowing a second one after spending those credits.

FIA bent to Ferrari and RedBull, snivellus Horner has been crying louder than anyone about his engine.

Nicktendo86

But on the 28th of Feb they will have then used their one Homologation per year, therefore not allowing a second one after spending those credits.

FIA bent to Ferrari and RedBull, snivellus Horner has been crying louder than anyone about his engine.
I was under the impression there is still confusion as to whether teams can homologate multiple times in the season?

God this sport is a mess sometimes.

Lach

Reading this topic in the last few weeks, I kinda want Ferrari/Seb to dominate this year just to see the meltdown....

Aiii

So not worth it
The whole car-changing in the pits because the batteries won't even last an entire race is just terrible advertising for Electronic cars.

I mean, I don't mind the sound of electric cars, even though they sound like everyone's Turbo broke down, but the driving into the pit and jumping into another car is just beyond ridiculous.

operon

I was under the impression there is still confusion as to whether teams can homologate multiple times in the season?

God this sport is a mess sometimes.

They can only homologate once per season. Honda doesn't have one from last year so need to homologate before the start of the season to have an engine to actually compete. The other have one from last year so that can use that.

I don't really see that they have any leverage with which to do so. Iirc, there's nothing written in the rules to say that Honda have to abide by different engine development time frame to the other teams, the FIA just chose to interpret the loop hole differently for Honda, for whatever reason.

So if that's the case, if the other three attempt to "block" it, surely the FIA could just decide to renege their favorable interpretation of the loophole for everyone.

We simply can't end up with different teams having to abide by different rules

What's unclear is whether or not the FIA has total authority or if this requires a unanimous decision by the manufacturers. Are new regulations necessary or does this simply require a simple interpretation?

Worst case scenario this goes to the Federation's courts even though no one wants to go down that route. Ultimately it could be a negotiation tactic to get something from the FIA.
Best case for Honda is it gets the 32 token to use throughout the season.

Other news:

- Head of sponsorships at Telefónica said to Expansion that Telefónica has no intention of getting into F1 as a sponsor. Happy with what they have. For those that don't know, Movistar is Telefonica brand.

- Hockenheim has no contract for the 2015 race so a new contract has to be signed. This will just put more financial pressure on Hockenheim and in future a German GP could be dropped.

The whole car-changing in the pits because the batteries won't even last an entire race is just terrible advertising for Electronic cars.

I mean, I don't mind the sound of electric cars, even though they sound like everyone's Turbo broke down, but the driving into the pit and jumping into another car is just beyond ridiculous.

And yet, despite that, Formula E is still providing better racing than F1. I too was really concerned about the car switching being so ridiculous that it would kill off any chance the series had of success, but gladly that hasn't been the case.

It will be in a better position once they can do a full race in a single car, but for now it's not really a problem.

Dilly

Banned

I still don't see why that is a problem.

Dilly

Banned
"Look how great electric driving is"

-car runs out of power in half an hour.

Excuse me that I'm not running to the car dealership to get me an electric car.

It's about technological advancement through racing. Which will happen when the regs open up. And the racing is good in itself and drawing a decent crowd.

I'd buy a Tesla if I could, that's for sure.

Dilly

Banned
If I had the money for a Tesla I'd still buy a Lamborghini instead.

A 30k to 80k Lamborghini?

Anyway, good for you I guess. Formula E is quite nice to watch and I'm looking forward to what the manufacturers come up with it for the next few years, if it's not your cup of tea than so be it.

It's about technological advancement through racing. Which will happen when the regs open up. And the racing is good in itself and drawing a decent crowd.

I'd buy a Tesla if I could, that's for sure.

Exactly. They're already testing wireless charging for cars with the Safety Car and Medical Car this season and hope they can implement a variant of that for the FE cars in the future. That is some pretty awesome stuff.

Aiii

So not worth it
I was literally just commenting on how its bad PR for electronic driving to expose its greatest weakness (low milage before a recharge is needed), and you're responding like I'm kicking Heidfeld in the balls. :D

Come on people, lighten up.

Dilly

Banned
I was literally just commenting on how its bad PR for electronic driving to expose its greatest weakness (low milage before a recharge is needed), and you're responding like I'm kicking Heidfeld in the balls. :D

Come on people, lighten up.

It's just that I find it a bit sad that some people don't even give it a chance just because it's electric, while it's a fun series with a lot of room for improvement.

You're just out of luck that you brought it up first! ;)

Top Bottom