• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT2| Louder Than Formula E

Chris R

That USA figure is off a bit. NBCSN (and NBC and CNBC) are included in most basic cable packages, so for your $60 a month you get those three channels and 100+ more that have nothing to do with F1. If NBCSN isn't included in your basic package then it should be a "Sports Package" with other sports related channels, but again, you aren't paying $60 a month just to watch F1.

Ark

I'm sorry to do this, but I'm pretty excited...

YmyuzRW.png

I'm only a little bit jealous.

DBT85

I wonder if Mercedes will manage to make a nose like the lotus or if they'll put the weird appendage on the end like the Williams and the Force India.

Shaneus

In SA all but one of the races from 2014 were live on One in HD.
Huh. In Vic they were all broadcast on Ten. Except for the odd one or two that were "forced" onto One because of timing (I think Japan, maybe another). Thought it was the same Australia-wide, but maybe some states (perhaps those in other timezones, as they would clash with prime time viewing on Ten) have it on One.

Definitely not Melbourne, though.

Huh. In Vic they were all broadcast on Ten. Except for the odd one or two that were "forced" onto One because of timing (I think Japan, maybe another). Thought it was the same Australia-wide, but maybe some states (perhaps those in other timezones, as they would clash with prime time viewing on Ten) have it on One.

Definitely not Melbourne, though.

Yeah, the only time we get them on OneHD in Canberra is when they clash with the news like Malaysia or the repeat on Monday night.

Gruso

Yeah, same in Sydney. I was talking to mates in WA about it, and they reported getting it on One just like SA. Ten screwed the eastern states, basically.

Lach

I bet Sauber. No point in showing up for the first test if they haven't been able to develop the car.

In the official F1 News, they say that Ericcson will test day 1&3 and Nasr 2&4 so I hope they'll be there...
I really really hope they're not as bad off as some of the rumours make it sound.

Concerning F1 coverage:
In Switzerland we still have free coverage (I guess Sauber is a big reason for that, I don't think they'd keep it up if they were gone), even though last year for a few races they pushed it to non HD due to clashes with Football or other "important" sport. I'll watch on BBC when they're live but I'm really happy I still have an option to view all races for free.

Today on "shit someone from Ferrari says", James Allison.

"The guidelines for the new car were pretty simple," said Allison in a video released by Ferrari ahead of the new car's launch.

"Last year we were too slow and not competitive enough, so fundamentally we need to make a competitive car.

"And as always, the challenge for a competitive car is lots of downforce, lots of horsepower and good driveability. We have been working on all three of those things."

Mastah

I bet Sauber. No point in showing up for the first test if they haven't been able to develop the car.

Force India:

Sahara Force India ‏@ForceIndiaF1 54s54 seconds ago

We have chosen not to run the old (2014) car in Jerez. The learning opportunities would have been limited so the focus is now on Barcelona.

I just hope they will get to second test and start of the season, because rumors are quite worrying :/

Zeknurn

Yeah I just saw this:

http://f1-insider.com/formel-1-force-india-vor-pleite-hilft-renault/

The future of Force India is far from certain: That came out in the context of a meeting of the Formula 1 strategy group in London on Tuesday. The team of Nico Hulkenberg and Sergio Perez is reportedly facing financial collapse. Formula 1 boss Bernie Ecclestone has already been informed of a current insolvency.

Force India therefore omitted for information from F1-insider.com on the first tests that take place from Sunday to Wednesday next week in Jerez. Reason: The new car is not done, because important supplier parts have not been provided due to payment problems.

The team from the Indian billionaire Vijay Mallya plans now to the second test two weeks later in Barcelona. In the team are still other horror scenarios painted. If no money flowed in the next four weeks, even the opening two races in Australia and Malaysia would be endangered, they say. The team is for sale. Team owner Vijay Mallya, who can leave his native India only on bail at the moment – a measure of the Indian authorities resulted in the collapse of Mallya Kingfisher Airlines – is ready for selling. There is already an interested party: Renault.

The French motor manufacturer wants to cut the umbilical cord to Red Bull and apparently wants to be even more present again in Formula 1.
That is why even the purchase of a team for debate. One option is Force India.

In other news:
@tgruener: Renault engine 2015: New combustion chamber, exhaust, variable trumpets. Compressor more efficient. ERS able to deal with more severe usage.
@adamcooperF1: Renault's Rob White: "We have upgraded every system and subsystem. Very few carry over pieces between the 2014 and 2015 power units" #F1
@WilliamsRacing: We have appointed @AlexLynnRacing as @WilliamsRacing Development Driver for 2015: http://t.co/YgeP1xm9DL

DBT85

If Renault could just make their fucking mind up they'd do well.

In and out more often than a sailor who's been at sea for 6 months.

Staab

I, uh, could get behind a takeover of Force India from Renault...
Not that I didn't appreciate Vijay but more constructors being more active in the sport can only be a good thing.

DD

Here in Brazil we have free HD coverage live, without commercial breaks. The price we pay is having to deal with Galvão Bueno as narrator.

mclem

Today on "shit someone from Ferrari says", James Allison.

"The guidelines for the new car were pretty simple," said Allison in a video released by Ferrari ahead of the new car's launch.

"Last year we were too slow and not competitive enough, so fundamentally we need to make a competitive car.

"And as always, the challenge for a competitive car is lots of downforce, lots of horsepower and good driveability. We have been working on all three of those things."

So, er, what were 'the guidelines' for last year's car?

Hammer24

Banned
Well that's a shame as I'd rather see them entering the sport than Renault again.

The three top priorities at VW right now as given by the board:
1. downsizing engines
2. downsizing engines
3. downsizing engines
Audi can count themselves lucky, that endurance racing is still be seen as helpful to the brand.

So if Renault bought Force India this season would they still have to use Mercedes power?

Black Beauty launches tomorrow banderas.gif
(Marca bullshit?)

I believe! PeterGoss rocketship incoming.

DD

The three top priorities at VW right now as given by the board:
1. downsizing engines
2. downsizing engines
3. downsizing engines
4. kill Bernie
Audi can count themselves lucky, that endurance racing is still be seen as helpful to the brand.

Fixed.

Piëch doesn't want VAG in F1 while Bernie is still there.

That Force India - Renault rumor is absolutely ridiculous.

Renault apparently have 850bhp for 2015. Quite an upgrade if true.

DBT85

Piëch doesn't want VAG in F1 while Bernie is still there.

That Force India - Renault rumor is absolutely ridiculous.

Renault apparently have 850bhp for 2015. Quite an upgrade if true.

But this is a ridiculous frozen formula, how have they done this? We should being back the V6s from the 4 years we won back to back.

Mastah

Roberto Chinchero ‏@RobChinchero 1m1 minute ago

As mentioned yesterday, one f1 team will not be present in Jerez test. And probably not the only one to miss it..

So who else except Force India? Lotus? Or maybe Red Bull, as they still didn't confirm driver line-up for the test and are late with finishing 2015 car?

...yet handy to fight back RBRs ridiculous blackmail attempts.
And still a lot less than... others. :)
Yeah Merc are going to run away once again this season.

But this is a ridiculous frozen formula, how have they done this? We should being back the V6s from the 4 years we won back to back.
Learning from 2014, some reverse-engineering other PUs can quite often give them some ideas and of course some fundamental mistakes being corrected.

So, is 1000hp possible just by evolution of the engines without regulation changes?

Yes, if fuel limit and fuel flow are increased. Just those two could take of noise (higher rpms) and total bhp.

But with energy recovery this season with the improvements they should all hit 1000 bhp.

Only 10bhp behind the rumoured Mercedes figure and equal with Honda.

Seems like 100% certified bullshit.

Maybe I missed something... where was it reported that Honda is only 10 bhp behind Mercedes?

Also, I thought Mercedes gained an extra 50-60bhp this offseason meaning that they should be at around 880bhp, right?

Maybe I missed something... where was it reported that Honda is only 10 bhp behind Mercedes?

Also, I thought Mercedes gained an extra 50-60bhp this offseason meaning that they should be at around 880bhp, right?
Those were rumored BHP from an insider. Might be wrong or not.

There are so many factors that can influence performance. Integration into chassis, fuel, source code, reliability to push parts to the maximum, etc.

Top Bottom