• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT2| Louder Than Formula E

jey_16

Banned
if the red continued around the car it would look better, its odd how it just stops. Nose isn't too bad. The lack of sponsors though is shocking though

Risgroo

JB has a new helmet
g5DwKH4.jpg

Nice packaging around the sidepods but the top of the sidepods is rather bulbous. Nose is ugly AF. Hope that other noses won't look anything close to that.

Also, color scheme is most definitely fugly. They should have definitely gone for white.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Not a fan of the livery, too. The racing suits also look boring as hell.

DBT85

The nose is awful.

The Williams nose barely gets half way along the bottom of the wing, the McLaren is about a wings depth BEYOND the wing!

Considering the Mercedes nose was in part supposed to be so good because it was really short and didn't overhang the nose, what are McLaren thinking?

Can't honestly take too much from it though as with all launches before testing, what we see is a lie.

Nicktendo86

I would be willing to bet the livery is interim, almost final with more touches to go. Rumours are they are waiting on a sponsor, I think that might have some truth.

Notice as well that the car is very dark in the most interesting areas? I think they are being a bit coy. The rear is VASTLY slimmed down from last year, looks like an entirely new concept.

Some are speculating that the mushroom suspension has been turned 90 degrees to create a kind of lower beam wing, it is hard to see though. Roll on testing!

Edit: RE the nose, a high nose is not the only solution, remember McLaren used to win with a low nose. The regs are trying to force low noses so rather than crying to coble together a solution that pretends to be a high nose would it not make more sense to design the car around a low nose concept?

The nose is awful.

The Williams nose barely gets half way along the bottom of the wing, the McLaren is about a wings depth BEYOND the wing!

Considering the Mercedes nose was in part supposed to be so good because it was really short and didn't overhang the nose, what are McLaren thinking?

Have faith, Peter Prodromou has got this ;)

Spades

What a joke that McLaren Honda livery is.

McLaren and Honda reunited at last, and that's the absolute best they could come up with? Pathetic.

What an uninspired effort.

I saw some rumour earlier (might have been on the autosport forums) from someone claiming that a McLaren engineer recently gave a lecture at a school/university and spilled that the livery was going to be red/white, but at the last minute they decided it would remain silver/black. I wonder if that's true.

Lach

Great....thanks McLaren! Now you've done it and ruined my day....

[edit] I don't think it's really really bad, but such a wasted potential....We'll probably warm to it during the season...

RoKKeR

What a botched opportunity to bring back the white and red. Ugh.

Looks like they are hiding a potential sponsor for the sidepod, but otherwise the livery is lame. Actual design of the car is pretty good, I like it.

muteki

They kinda set themselves up for this reaction, they have been referencing the Marlboro livery so much over the past couple weeks.

Mastah

Adam Cooper ‏@adamcooperF1 43m43 minutes ago

A lot of negative chat on here about @McLarenF1's livery. However I understand it could yet change by Melbourne...

I hope they at least will paint mirrors in something other than that ugly red.

Adam Cooper ‏@adamcooperF1 40m40 minutes ago

Interesting that Santander is absent from car and driver pics, but remains on McLaren website. Apparently negotiations still underway

Ark

I cant get behind silver and black. Not at all. Force India and McLaren have utterly lost me unless something drastic happens to those liveries. When did black & silver become ubiquitous marketing colours? Also wow, still no new title sponsor yet.

That Mercedes spy shot though, my god does that car look good.

Top Bottom