• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT2| Louder Than Formula E

RoKKeR

So I just got back into cell service range over the weekend.

God damn, news! Weirdly excited to see Seb at Ferrari and it seems like Fernando is just in no-man's land right now? Fun stuff either way, I hope Honda McLaren puts forward a competitive car next year.

Business

I wonder if so many people would expect Vettel to replicate Schumachers success story in Ferrari if he weren't German.

andshrew

I wonder if so many people would expect Vettel to replicate Schumachers success story in Ferrari if he weren't German.

Well everyone expected Alonso to do it so... it's going to be the expectation for any world champion arriving at an under performing Ferrari for a very long time to come.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Well everyone expected Alonso to do it so... it's going to be the expectation for any world champion arriving at an under performing Ferrari for a very long time to come.

If Vettel continues that trend, we will soon address Ferrari as team where former WDC go to extinguish their star :p

Why is everyone against Alonso? Come to think of the events in the last couple of days. Horner blows the secret and reveals where Vettel is going, Mercedes say that they're not interested in Alonso, and so did Redbull. Then Ron delivers the final blow of revealing that nothing has been signed now.

I fucking hate the guy, but if this was a dirty game between team principals so that Ron can get him cheap or something, it's so unfair!!!

I don't think that what's happening to Alonso is not planned. and his claims of having his fate in his own hands was just a negotiations tactic I would say, unless taking a sabbatical is one of his options I don't see what other options than McLaren he has!

I'll be so pissed if he wasn't on the grid next year.. There's no satisfaction in beating the other drivers, I want Kimi to beat Alonso

Aiii

So not worth it
Maybe Alonso tried to play the three of them against eachother to het a bidding war going and it bit him in the ass, what do you or we know? Nothing.

Kyougar

Alonso arrived at a proud Ferrari, a Ferrari that was still influenced by Schumachers Dominace. A Ferrari, that kicked out World Champions because they thought they were underperforming (Schumacher and Raikönnen), that they were the issue, not Ferrari.
If Alonso would have been the type to reorganize a team and make a Championship team out of nothing, he could not have been doing that with the ferrari of 2010 to 2015. First, he isnt that type, he is a (great) driver through and through. And second nobody would have been listening to him because Ferrari thought that they are still the pinnacle of the Sport.

The talk, that Vettel would "do-a-schumi" with Ferrari is being talked about in german press (slightly) and on german messageboards and restrooms since, I think, 2012.

If he has the Talent to do all that Schumacher had done with his first 5 years in Ferrari and if Ferrari hears him out, is another matter.

But I think Vettel doesnt have 5 Years, these are other times.

Ark

Why is everyone against Alonso? Come to think of the events in the last couple of days. Horner blows the secret and reveals where Vettel is going, Mercedes say that they're not interested in Alonso, and so did Redbull. Then Ron delivers the final blow of revealing that nothing has been signed now.

I fucking hate the guy, but if this was a dirty game between team principals so that Ron can get him cheap or something, it's so unfair!!!

I don't think that what's happening to Alonso is not planned. and his claims of having his fate in his own hands was just a negotiations tactic I would say, unless taking a sabbatical is one of his options I don't see what other options than McLaren he has!

I'll be so pissed if he wasn't on the grid next year.. There's no satisfaction in beating the other drivers, I want Kimi to beat Alonso

I am struggling so hard to figure out what your angle is :p

I am struggling so hard to figure out what your angle is :p

lol.. it's just a genuine concern that he actually might not be on the grid next year.. that would be a shame..

EDIT: he might be seeking a 1 year contract to see how McLaren-Honda relationship pans out, but now Ron has the upper hand

duckroll

I'm actually really glad Vettel and Alonso are moving now instead of later. No point delaying on changes which they've already decided on. The faster people just get on with in, the faster we can see how well the new dynamics will work.

andshrew

Alonso arrived at a proud Ferrari, a Ferrari that was still influenced by Schumachers Dominace. A Ferrari, that kicked out World Champions because they thought they were underperforming (Schumacher and Raikönnen), that they were the issue, not Ferrari.
If Alonso would have been the type to reorganize a team and make a Championship team out of nothing, he could not have been doing that with the ferrari of 2010 to 2015. First, he isnt that type, he is a (great) driver through and through. And second nobody would have been listening to him because Ferrari thought that they are still the pinnacle of the Sport.

Arguably it isn't fair to expect any driver to 'build a team' and I'm not even sure it's fair to credit it to Schumacher either - it was Todt that took control and put the right people together at the right time, and gave them the freedom to do their job. Perhaps Vettel is arriving at the perfect time and the management changes that are going on will go back to this way of working... but you'd probably have to say the way they've still continued to treat their own staff with this culture of blame, and now Alonso, that they haven't learned anything from the post-Todt era.

Aiii

So not worth it
I'm actually really glad Vettel and Alonso are moving now instead of later. No point delaying on changes which they've already decided on. The faster people just get on with in, the faster we can see how well the new dynamics will work.
I agree, a driver announcing his departure a year beforehand is a lame duck for that season anyways, since the team has no trust for them as far as development goes and won't go to the limit for a "traitor" anyways.

hadareud

The Translator
Yeah I think so, but does it seem like he was 'forced out' unexpectedly at the weekend to make room for the Vettel announcement? I think McLaren will have it announced by next weekend.

Doubt it.

I suspect he told Ferrari that is off some time ago and they moved for Vettel as a result.

Kyougar

But Vettel was rumored to go to Ferrari since forever. He even had a LOI and said several times that his dream would be to drive for Ferrari.

either Alonso was driven out to make place for Vettel and both would look bad in the eyes of some people in this thread (alonso because he isnt someone who can dictate his Future and Vettel because "he chickened out" against Ricciardo)

or Alonso initiated the leave from Ferrari and forced ferrari to look for a replacement, who they then found in Vettel.

Personally, I think Vettel saw the writing on the wall last year and worked actively on his Future with another team. It was certainly strange how Vettel behaved in the last races. The constant doughnuts, the talk on the Radio "just savour this moment guys, we had a phenomenal run this year, this cant be taken from us."
Would someone that expects to run for the championship next year say something like that if he won the last 4 championships? It seemed like he gave up on 2014 in the last races of 2013. And february 2014 prroved him right.....

hadareud

The Translator
Why would they need one?

Lauda confirmed that they're talking about a new contract and he sounded pretty confident that it would be done soon.

They have the best car and they'll very likely challenge for the title for the next few seasons. And they pay him good money.

He will want to stay.

yami4ct

So with Vettel at Ferrari and Alonso at McLaren, where is Mercedes bargaining chip with Lewis again?

Well, he now really has nowhere to go if wants to be on a decent team. Mercedes would probably be happy letting Rosberg play at being number one, pick up a cheap number 2 and bet on their engineering squad if Hamilton decided he wanted to play hardball for some reason.

Aiii

So not worth it
I still do not see why anyone would assume Lewis looking elsewhere or Mercedes looking elsewhere. Makes no sense for any of the people involved.

Shaneus

CheapSelfishDachshund.gif

Haha, what a guy.
Can't wait for him to get WDC against his former teammate in Vettel next year.

Certainly implies an interesting dynamic at RBR next year, with Danny only being a 1 year veteran of the team by the time Danil joins. Could we see an "equal" value pairing a la Webber/Vettel?

Also, with Vettel announcing his move, could we see him play a support role as a copilot for Danny this year?

Aiii

So not worth it
Next year is gonna be all kinds of hype, that at least is for sure. Nothing like a good drivers shuffle to stir things up.

jey_16

Banned
Championships as a Ferrari driver:
Kimi: 1
Alonso: 0

d07bra2022.jpg

:)

touche....but you have to admit, Kimi has been awful this year. Probably worse then Massa would have done so unless he lifts his game next year, he has to go.

Anyway, what i would like to know and this may be something we don't find out. Who instigated the move? Did Ferrari sack Alonso or did they go to him with a contract extension and he refused which left them no choice to go after Vettel and thus here we are.

I just can't help but feeling that they are letting the best driver on the grid go for someone not as good (despite his 4 titles)....lets see what happens next year i guess

Ark

It's going to take Ferrari two years to get into a position RBR/Mercedes are in. McLaren should be back up to their usual level either next season or in 2016. Alonso wants to win now, before he's beyond the tipping point of age. Vettel doesn't have that issue yet.

Basically, Alonso can't rely on a long-term plan (and his original long-term plan with Ferrari has gone to shit because lol Ferrari) if he wants to win his third title. He simply has to move elsewhere if he wants to win, Ferrari feels the same way. Vettel on the other hand has nothing to prove so he can spend 3 years reviving an ailing Ferrari, if that's what it takes.

touche....but you have to admit, Kimi has been awful this year. Probably worse then Massa would have done so unless he lifts his game next year, he has to go.

Anyway, what i would like to know and this may be something we don't find out. Who instigated the move? Did Ferrari sack Alonso or did they go to him with a contract extension and he refused which left them no choice to go after Vettel and thus here we are.

I just can't help but feeling that they are letting the best driver on the grid go for someone not as good (despite his 4 titles)....lets see what happens next year i guess

They already got him contracted till end of 2016. To insist on extension or ousting doesn't make sense.

It's either he wanted to leave, or the relationship just deteriorated big time that it led for them to squeeze him out.

My personal opinion would be is that Alonso grew too strong inside Ferrari and he thought he could do whatever he wanted and probably laid some hard to achieve demands from them. New boss, new mentality, and the availability of Vettel all played against him

Massa

It's going to take Ferrari two years to get into a position RBR/Mercedes are in. McLaren should be back up to their usual level either next season or in 2016. Alonso wants to win now, before he's beyond the tipping point of age. Vettel doesn't have that issue yet.

Basically, Alonso can't rely on a long-term plan (and his original long-term plan with Ferrari has gone to shit because lol Ferrari) if he wants to win his third title. He simply has to try somewhere else. Vettel on the other hand has nothing to prove so he can spend 3 years reviving an ailing Ferrari, if that's what it takes.

The problem for Alonso is that neither RBR or Mercedes want him. McLaren could surprise us next year but they're behind Ferrari right now.

Jibbed

The problem for Alonso is that neither RBR or Mercedes want him. McLaren could surprise us next year but they're behind Ferrari right now.

Wrong. Mercedes reportedly made an offer to Ferrari for a straight swap; Alonso for Hamilton. Nothing on paper, just enquiries and all the usual stuff we get this time of year. Apparently Ferrari don't want anything to do with Lewis.

Same source that first broke the Alonso/McLaren and Vettel news.

Kyougar

Wrong. Mercedes reportedly made an offer to Ferrari for a straight swap; Alonso for Hamilton. Nothing on paper, just enquiries and all the usual stuff we get this time of year. Apparently Ferrari don't want anything to do with Lewis.

Man, Lewis must feel awefull. Your current Team wants to swap you out with your biggest (selfproclaimed) Rival and the other Team doesnt even want you. But on the other Hand they want to get rid of the guy you are supposed to be swapped with.

Kimi's already stated that he's not going to adjust his driving style and Ferrari needs to develop the car to him.

That guy just doesn't give a shit.

I haven't had a chance to follow any rumors today, but is anyone leaving the possibility open for a Lewis-Alonso swap? Seems to me both teams would rather have each others guy. Merc gets what they want, and Ron corrects himself for letting Lewis go. I think the drivers would be happy too.

jey_16

Banned

i was thinking about that but then someone said if you were Ferrari, would you really let Alonso go to the all dominate Mercedes? It would look incredibly bad for Ferrari management if Alonso went on to win a championship in the immediate season after leaving Ferrari. Atleast with McLaren, you know he will have to deal with a shit car for a while

anyway, i find it hard to believe that Mercedes really want to get rid of Hamilton. He has been damn quick and you going to have issues with any of the alpha drivers on the grid.

NHale

Can you imagine if Santander decides to go with Alonso to Williams, pay his salary and get him a Mercedes powered car for next year?

Poor Massa would be screwed again by the Spaniard.

Ferrari already a deal done with Vettel for 2016 and he's only coming this year because they released Alonso. He would never go to Ferrari if Alonso/Hamilton was there. Nikki Lauda confirms the actual story: Ferrari gave Alonso a free buyout on Thursday, Vettel signs on Friday. Which actually brings another interesting question some people in the paddock are wondering: Is Kimi safe considering Ferrari wants to clean the house for rebuilding?

BAW

Banned
Kimi's already stated that he's not going to adjust his driving style and Ferrari needs to develop the car to him.

That guy just doesn't give a shit.

His F1 career is almost over, any driver in this situation would probably do the same. Too late to change driving styles now.

RoKKeR

I am so goddamn tired. Thinking of getting some sleep and waking up in a few hours for the race.

What I fear: Rain delay, delay, delay, might start, almost starting, delay, delay, no race.

Sloane

Banned
I am so goddamn tired. Thinking of getting some sleep and waking up in a few hours for the race.

What I fear: Rain delay, delay, delay, might start, almost starting, delay, delay, no race.
Nah, it will be: Delay, delay, two laps behind the safety car to prove it's impossible to drive, red flag.

Radar looks like a break before the lights going off with a band of heavy rain coming in around half-distance. It's a crosswind today instead of a tailwind on the straights.

Assuming the cars can manage to stay on the track this could be insane.

Top Bottom