• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT2| Louder Than Formula E

untitled-10jfmu.gif

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Doesn't look too wet and people are walking around without umbrellas

Also, i thought earlier - there is a real chance that Fernando will stay without seat for 2015 season.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
RIC telling that track is much drier on some places, could be done with inters.

Looks like lots of standing water.

We'll have a destruction derby if we start this race now, not a motor race.

They should send workers with brooms to clear out the standing water.

Crazy rumours... about McLaren trying to leave Fernando hanging out to dry (payback for 2007).

Also, you have Alonso waiting until the very end of the season to see what is going to happen with Hamilton - other rumour saying Alonso could take a sabbatical in 2015 to get in Mercedes for 2016.

I am just puzzled as to why they would want Alonso, considering the 2007 debacle, and his notorious demands. It seems they have the perfect team right now (and the drivers' relationship is getting better). Lewis is really every bit as good as Alonso and Rsoberg is not too far behind.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Start behind SC

Yep. They should stop trying to pander to European audiences with late start times, because how many times have we had these sort of situations now?

I can remember those Aussie seasons starts with races at 5 am :D

Looks like lots of standing water.

We'll have a destruction derby if we start this race now, not a motor race.
They might have to start behind the safety car (sigh) for a few laps but radar shows a 30-45min gap in rain bands before it goes to hell again and maybe ending a second time by the finish. That's enough time for some drying out. Potential of looking at a record number of pitstops.
They should really have started this race 2-3 hours ago. The FIA is useless.
I was saying yesterday that noon local would have been ideal, though to be fair the rain started earlier than that. What's on the track now was the first very heavy band.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
They might have to start behind the safety car (sigh) for a few laps but radar shows a 30-45min gap in rain bands before it goes to hell again and maybe ending a second time by the finish. That's enough time for some drying out. Potential of looking at a record number of pitstops.
Hm, or they could try to get 75% of the race under wraps so it would count as full race instead of half point one.

duckroll

Here's what I think will happen:

- Safety Car start
- After several really boring laps the Safety Car comes in before the live audience falls asleep
- Aquaplaning causes a few near accidents and a couple of actual retirements
- Safety Car is back
- Race is put on hold
- 30 minutes later...
- 1 hour later...
- 90 minutes later...
- Race called off, half points for everyone

Hm, or they could try to get 75% of the race under wraps so it would count as full race instead of half point one.
For now it doesn't look like it'll be catastrophic rain later, but I can see a scenario of racing being feasible to about 50-60% distance and the FIA dragging it out to 75% behind the safety car after a red flag period.

- Safety Car start
- After several really boring laps the Safety Car comes in before the live audience falls asleep
- Safety Car is back
- Race is put on hold
- 30 minutes later...
- 1 hour later...
- 90 minutes later...
I've been watching things for hours and I'm legitimately optimistic at this point that things will dry out a little during the first half. After that, yeah that sounds about right.

Draconian

- Safety Car start
- Safety Car is back
- Race is put on hold
- 30 minutes later...
- 1 hour later...
- 90 minutes later...

I really hope there are no delays. I stayed up to watch this, and I wanna see a good, albeit probably shortened, race.

Dead Man

- Safety Car start
- Safety Car is back
- Race is put on hold
- 30 minutes later...
- 1 hour later...
- 90 minutes later...

Pretty much.

Juicy Bob

- Safety Car start
- Safety Car is back
- Race is put on hold
- 30 minutes later...
- 1 hour later...
- 90 minutes later...
I would bet money on this happening.

hamchan

They really were quite dumb to not move this race up. They too worried about their European viewing figures or something?

duckroll

HAHAHAHAHA RED FLAG. :(

Hindsight and all that but this race should've been moved earlier.

Is it even hindsight when people have been saying that for days now? It was seriously considered, but apparently the FIA decided that they only had the authority to decide if it was safe enough to race, not to change the timing of the race. Pathetic.

Top Bottom