• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT2| Louder Than Formula E

Pimpwerx

Hindsight and all that but this race should've been moved earlier.

Na, it's not even hindsight. This was easily anticipated by many. Race promoters are gonna take a huge L on this one. I mean...it's a fucking typhoon. WTF were they thinking? You literally can't call off the hurricane. LOL. PEACE.

dakun

Race doesn't count yet since red flag means the lap before counts as the final lap, thus being just a 1 lap race so far

untitled-1exfgv.gif

Is it even hindsight when people have been saying that for days now? It was seriously considered, but apparently the FIA decided that they only had the authority to decide if it was safe enough to race, not to change the timing of the race. Pathetic.
US TV claims the race promoters were offered a chance to move up the start time and refused. That would be quite the twist, assuming it wasn't Bernie twisting their arms.

Pimpwerx

This is a travesty to muff a race in a country that supports the sport so strongly. Suzuka and its fans are an F1 staple. This is an outrage. PEACE.

McNum

Well this is going as predicted.

The Danish commentators mentioned that in Japan, they locally have a third type of tire in the wet series. Intermediate, Full Wet, and "Monsoon", but those aren't available to F1. Seems like an idea for later seasons.

And now they're setting up tents. Extreme camping!

Tens are allowed in the pit lane. Hahahaha. That's 2014 for you.
Why are they not on the grid? I've never seen a lineup in the pit lane.
The Danish commentators mentioned that in Japan, they locally have a third type of tire in the wet series. Intermediate, Full Wet, and "Monsoon", but those aren't available to F1. Seems like an idea for later seasons.
I remember that some of the drivers mentioned this a few years ago after one of the red-flagged Malaysia races. The consensus seemed to be that current full wets of today move more water than previous generations of super-duper-wets. Also, you can only put so much tread depth on F1 types before things get weird.

duckroll

US TV claims the race promoters were offered a chance to move up the start time and refused. That would be quite the twist, assuming it wasn't Bernie twisting their arms.

I'm sure there were a lot of "business concerns" regarding all this crap, but it just shows how shameful commercial sports are. The primary consideration should be how the sport can be carried out in the safest and most satisfying way. Everything else should be secondary. It just feels gross to me.

I like that they parked the cars in the pit lane, so they could just push the cars back into the pits and end the race like that.

DrM

Redmond's Baby

FIA suggested move to noon local time and then even to earlier time (10 or 11 am local) but organizers decided against that

I think they used to have those in F1 as well 15-20 years ago.

Pimpwerx

Well this is going as predicted.

And now they're setting up tents. Extreme camping!

I doubt they're for open-wheel formulas. There's just not enough ground clearance to allow it. The full wets displace a lot of water. They're really advanced designs, but you can't overcome certain conditions. PEACE.

Juicy Bob

DC said that there's only one door in the pit wall and it becomes a long run for the teams at the ends of the pit lane to get to the grid.
So, they apply that logic with no problem. How the fuck do they not act that intelligently to the race time?

I'm out, going to try and get some sleep. Flu kept me up all night and it doesn't look like this race will start anytime soon.

Ridiculous that this race wasn't rescheduled to start earlier.

What a bunch of little kids. Back when i started watching F1 they would race during rain. Now because of the stupid no ride height rule they can't race in anything more than a drizzle.

Very stupid. Racing saturday is a lot better than not racing at all, if they were concerned about people who bought tickets. Going to sleep i guess...

McNum

Yeah, I suppose there's only so much water a Formula One car can take, even if the tires were theoretically optimal for the conditions.

You know, there probably should be some kind of special heavy rain rules in place, we get one of these every season. Not sure what to do, though, can't really fight nature when it REALLY wants that racetrack to be more like a river. Nature's scary.

duckroll

Can't believe the commentators are actually buying into the optimism that the rain has stopped and it's actually going to be a race. I expect the worst honestly. In 15 minutes they'll still be behind the Safety Car, and suddenly the rain will be back. What a total waste of time.

Yes, I'm pretty mad. Lol.

Mohonky

Crazy rumours... about McLaren trying to leave Fernando hanging out to dry (payback for 2007).

Also, you have Alonso waiting until the very end of the season to see what is going to happen with Hamilton - other rumour saying Alonso could take a sabbatical in 2015 to get in Mercedes for 2016.

I am just puzzled as to why they would want Alonso, considering the 2007 debacle, and his notorious demands. It seems they have the perfect team right now (and the drivers' relationship is getting better). Lewis is really every bit as good as Alonso and Rsoberg is not too far behind.

I dont understand this either.

Hamilton and Rosberg were friends, probably less so now but the rivalry between him and Rosberg isnt exactly extreme, if it were Alonso and arosberg playing out as this season has, I am willing to bet it would be really icy in that garage. There just doesnt seem to be any actual benefit to signing Alonso in over Hamilton, he is still going to tangle with Rosberg and its always going to be a concern, it'll never be like Webber and Vettel where Vettel was far enough out the guys werent regularly tripping on one another. So whether they signed in Alonso or even Vettel and ousted Hamilton, whats the point?

Aiii

So not worth it
Can't believe the commentators are actually buying into the optimism that the rain has stopped and it's actually going to be a race. I expect the worst honestly. In 15 minutes they'll still be behind the Safety Car, and suddenly the rain will be back. What a total waste of time.

Yes, I'm pretty mad. Lol.

Track is showing some nice dry patches, plus F1 cars apparently display 65 liters of water per second on wets, I wouldn't be so pessimistic at least.

It is what it is, according to Dutch commentary the race organizers blocked an 11AM start time due to public.

Top Bottom