• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2015 Season |OT| Formula E Feeder Series

@NobleF1
Toto Wolff reveals end of race drama: "Both cars lost brake-by-wire one and a half laps from the end, and that leaves you unable to defend."
Then Nico was insanely reckless to run Kimi down into turn 4 if his BBW had failed. Like, I'd-want-to-reprimand-him levels of reckless. That could have caused a gigantic wreck. Sorry.

I'd rather he'd have just choked to settle things because he had a decent race for once so this is coincidentally just a cop-out instead.

duckroll

How come we got moved to community so quickly with the low number of posts in here?

I think it was just moved because generally all sports threads are in community? I know it hasn't been 100% consistent for F1 threads, but there isn't any deliberate targeting here. I haven't really noticed because it's just a part of my subscriptions.

frontieruk

Then Nico was insanely reckless to run Kimi down into turn 4 if his BBW had failed. Like, I'd-want-to-reprimand-him levels of reckless. That could have caused a gigantic wreck. Sorry.

I'd rather he'd have just choked to settle things because he had a decent race for once so this is coincidentally just a cop-out instead.

Cos failing brakes on both cars is a cop out... Ffs...

but yes he was a bit reckless.

frontieruk

I think it was just moved because generally all sports threads are in community? I know it hasn't been 100% consistent for F1 threads, but there isn't any deliberate targeting here. I haven't really noticed because it's just a part of my subscriptions.

Thanks doesn't bother me as it's in my subs, but it was being moaned about a couple of pages ago so thought I'd ask.

TCRS

Banned

kek. here is the picture:

THCdu2X.jpg

someone make an ava out of this.

Dilly

Banned
The failure must have been awful, after-all asides from that one corner overshoot the rest of his lap was perfectly fine.

It's perfectly possible that he wasn't aware about the failure in that turn, and could anticipate for the rest of the lap.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes

You should write him an angry tweet or something.

frontieruk

The failure must have been awful, after-all asides from that one corner overshoot the rest of his lap was perfectly fine.

Enough for Hamilton to back off almost over two seconds and similar pace drop off for Rosberg but hey don't look at the times he's just shit.

Seemed like a pretty decent race. Plenty of non-first place action to watch. Thankfully Ferrari's strength will keep this season a little interesting if Rosberg isn't able to challenge for the title (he's 2nd in the championship though, so who knows?)

I hope to see someone else continue the Maldonado avatar bets next race.
I hope everyone has Maldonado avatars by the end of the season.

You should write him an angry tweet or something.
*Shrug* Would like to hear what he says to it at least.
For his own good he needs to accept the reality of things and this just puts it off longer. The sooner he comes to terms with the situation the sooner he can actually try to better himself. He'll only think the brakes cost him and completely downplay or mentally shove out how Hamilton was simply faster and how Raikkonen hunting him down like mad. But, hey, who needs that logic when you get a mechanical issue that hurts you in one corner with 2 laps to go?

Despite driving an agressive race Rosberg looks finished already.

Kimi finally got some luck with Vettel dropping back, but without it he looked like a total journeyman.

dalin80

Banned
Enough for Hamilton to back off almost over two seconds and similar pace drop off for Rosberg but hey don't look at the times he's just shit.

Ok let's look at some times.

http://macofan.com/en/index.php?page=chart&gp=938&graf=3&dr1=Lewis Hamilton&dr2=Nico Rosberg

Rosbergs final pace dropped off so much he did a 39.1, about the same as he had been doing for 15 laps. Except for the one lap where he suffered a brake failure that only affected him in one corner.

Mastah

Vettel - LOL. I'm absolutely convinced, and nothing so far this season changed my view, that this is exactly the same Vettel we saw last year. He simply lucked into another fantastic car and his team mate has some flaws, which doesn't make it obvious. Pair him up with Alonso or Ricciardo for that matter and you'll see the same as last year. Mistakes, average tyre management and quali pace which isn't really as great as it looks, since, as I said, Kimi is not strong in this area. Awful race by Vettel and I have to be honest, he made me smile sooo much :D

Perez - Great race, he's really superb at this circuit.

Alonso - Fantastic performance. To beat and hold off both Saubers and one Force India is a mark of how great driver he is. I really, really hope from Barcelona onwards they will be truly in upper midfield and moving forward won't stop there, because at this moment it's a waste of talent of 2 superb drivers :(

Maldonado - How many mistakes you can make during one race, lol? Apparently stalling during stop was also his fault and according to Ted team is starting to get fed up with Crashtor. Yeah, he was unlucky this season but somehow other drivers also starting in danger zone at every race, manage to avoid running into problems, unlike Pastor. I always thought 2012 Williams was multiple race winner and podium contender on pure pace and Maldonado's career so far only confirms my belief.

John_B

Great race. Raikkonen was awesome. I predict he will reach the top step this season (Hamilton has to DNF at some point).

Hamilton must be querying Toto about that champ money. At current form he could not sign an equal driver.

Mercedes again pitted Rosberg first to defend him against Vettel. It almost cost Hamilton two positions. He had enough in the bag for a bad pit stop, but that extra lap ate it all up. I foresee team trouble with all this nursing of the second car.

Great race. Raikkonen was awesome. I predict he will reach the top step this season (Hamilton has to DNF at some point).

Hamilton must be querying Toto about that champ money. At current form he could not sign an equal driver.

Mercedes again pitted Rosberg first to defend him against Vettel. It almost cost Hamilton two positions. He had enough in the bag for a bad pit stop, but that extra lap ate it all up. I foresee team trouble with all this nursing of the second car.

Agreed - they should have pitted both cars. Lewis had enough of a gap that Nico wouldn't have been hampered.

That's the sort of shenanigans that Lewis wants to fix in his next contract, I believe.

You can say what you want about Hamilton but he works like a machine now.

Lewis is clearly at his top right now. Well deserved, too. I just wish someone could challenge him a little. Reading through his post-race comments, it really seemed like he was coasting like usual. Even the brake by wire issue didn't impact him.

@F1_Madness: Lewis:
"A good day at the office, a good sunday drive today"
"For me, I'm just really I had pace. I could answer to whoever today"
"When I need to pull it out, I can pull more out of this car. I was coming around Turn 6 and just thought, 'I love this car!'"
"The brake by wire goes into fault mode. So the pedal doesnt go hard, it goes long. I was able to reset it and carry on"

Lewis is clearly at his top right now. Well deserved, too. I just wish someone could challenge him a little. Reading through his post-race comments, it really seemed like he was coasting like usual. Even the brake by wire issue didn't impact him.

@F1_Madness: Lewis:
"A good day at the office, a good sunday drive today"
"For me, I'm just really I had pace. I could answer to whoever today"
"When I need to pull it out, I can pull more out of this car. I was coming around Turn 6 and just thought, 'I love this car!'"
"The brake by wire goes into fault mode. So the pedal doesnt go hard, it goes long. I was able to reset it and carry on"

To me it definitely looks like the W06 is his car - he seems much more comfortable than last year. Did he have any input in its development?

Not sure how Rosberg will respond to Lewis, unless Lewis starts making mistakes in qualifying or encounters technical difficulties (which would be a shame).

dalin80

Banned
To me it definitely looks like the W06 is his car - he seems much more comfortable than last year. Did he have any input in its development?

Not sure how Rosberg will respond to Lewis, unless Lewis starts making mistakes in qualifying or encounters technical difficulties (which would be a shame).

I truly believe that the only reason Ferrari seems close this year is down to Hamilton just cruising and not pushing when he doesn't have to. After the slow stop today he came out directly in front of Rosberg and Vettel, within a couple of laps he had resumed the 5s lead and went back to looking after the car.

His head is in the right place and when that happens he can't be touched. All merc need to do is keep Nicole the fuck away from the track and put fuel in the car and it's 25 points in the bag.

Watched my first F1 race today after listening to the last few Alt+F1 podcasts. Their Maldonado stories are really what got me interested, and he didn't disappoint today.

I really enjoyed it. Can't believe his engine turned off and breaks started burning on his way to the pit stop. He even worked his way up from ~15th all the way to 6th/7th! The battle for 1st through 5th the whole race was really exciting, too.

Aiii

So not worth it
Watched my first F1 race today after listening to the last few Alt+F1 podcasts. Their Maldonado stories are really what got me interested, and he didn't disappoint today.

I really enjoyed it. Can't believe his engine turned off and breaks started burning on his way to the pit stop. He even worked his way up from ~15th all the way to 6th/7th! The battle for 1st through 5th the whole race was really exciting, too.

Maldonado is something else, but if he keeps this up, I don't see Lotus finishing this season with him as a driver, they must be getting fed up.

Looking forward to seeing how that chess picture evolves over the season.
I really enjoyed it. Can't believe his engine turned off and breaks started burning on his way to the pit stop.

Funny thing is he overshot the pit entry on the previous race and blamed brake problems for that too.

Ruruja

I remember in his first year with Mercedes he complained a lot about getting used to the brakes as they were so different to what he was used to with McLaren. I think they're the same as what he had at McLaren now as a result.

Shaneus

Vettel - LOL. I'm absolutely convinced, and nothing so far this season changed my view, that this is exactly the same Vettel we saw last year. He simply lucked into another fantastic car and his team mate has some flaws, which doesn't make it obvious. Pair him up with Alonso or Ricciardo for that matter and you'll see the same as last year. Mistakes, average tyre management and quali pace which isn't really as great as it looks, since, as I said, Kimi is not strong in this area. Awful race by Vettel and I have to be honest, he made me smile sooo much :D
I loved his "something happened to my front wing, I have no idea how that happened!" line over the radio.

He's since apologised to the team for his performance. Bit early to throw him under the bus methinks, especially given how well he's driven in the first three races (including managing his tyres).

dubc35

Bah, one of the only GP's on the calendar I get to watch live and I was only able to watch the first half!

Alonso to make McLaren respectable by the end of the season. Jenson will accomplish nothing and retire to run a surf shop with Jes on the north shore of Oahu.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
I loved his "something happened to my front wing, I have no idea how that happened!" line over the radio.

Are we sure that his front wing wasn't already damaged before his trip into the gravel and caused him to leave track in the first place?

Top Bottom