• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2015 Season |OT| Formula E Feeder Series

I wonder, if Mercedes had decided to pit Rosberg first at the second round of stops to cover against Vettel, would that have been enough to secure positions 1/2 ?

I guess the Gap Lewis - Vettel would have been big enough, and if necessary they could switch positions, which imo would be a good teamstrategy and fair in such a situation. I guess even Nico would have understood a "let Lewis pass for now, you got his pit-window to secure the 1-2 for the team. You may attack later".

But I guess they didn't want to risk any internal and external discussions or bad press if something went wrong for 3 points...
Or their strategy guys didn't see Kimi coming, which would be extremely shameful.

Ty4on

It's pretty amazing how often the Mercedes fail simultaneously

They didn't quite. Hammer explained that Rosberg had struggled with the brakes (same as Hamilton) since lap 3.

Failing fully at a similar time though does make sense though. Both brake systems go through basically the same amount of stress.

Is there a reason f1 is more popular than MotoGP? I love F1 but the races themselves don't hold a candle to the races in this MotoGP season. i suspect it's the politics and intrige that is favoured by the fans.

Is there a reason f1 is more popular than MotoGP? I love F1 but the races themselves don't hold a candle to the races in this MotoGP season. i suspect it's the politics and intrige that is favoured by the fans.

Good question. Personally I couldn't get into moto gp although I tried a lot. F1 on the other hand is something I almost can't live without

One is cars and the other is motorcycles possibly?

I love them both and I've got to say, last nights Argentinian MotoGP was amazing. Rossi hunting down Marquez, the collision, Carl Crutchy taking 3rd on the last corner of the final lap, Doviziozo? Is impressive as the new Kid. Whats Lolenzo doing?

All the bikes seem competitive,:

Honda - Strongest overall, quick, but chews tyres.
Ducati - Looking this season. Riders are doing well too.
Yamaha - Strong package this year as a whole. Fighting with Honda.
Suzuki - Lacking on top speed compared to the others imo. If they can get the top speed up they could be a force to be reckoned with.

Mostly going to be Homda VS Yamaha I think but I wouldn't count Ducatti or Suzuki out either.

German manufacturer Audi has conducted a feasibility into F1 entry and found there to be serious support for the idea within the company.

Sources in the German automotive industry insist that the only blockage to Audi entering F1 is the antipathy felt for Ecclestone by the chairman of the VW-Audi board, Ferdinand Piech.

Sources say Piech will not allow any of his brands to enter F1 while Ecclestone is in charge.

Ecclestone said: "Nobody's told me that. If that is the case, I'll leave. I would be happy to step down if it brought those people in."

Source:http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/32373718

Hopefully you go Bernie.

f0rk

Considering Lotus seem to have pretty good pace right now, I wonder if this will be the season that makes them decide to drop that Venezuelan oil money for a driver that can finish in the points.

Considering Lotus seem to have pretty good pace right now, I wonder if this will be the season that makes them decide to drop that Venezuelan oil money for a driver that can finish in the points.

Doubtful, Maintaining the pace'll need more of that sweet sweet venezuelan oil money

Shaneus

Do we know if Ricciardo definitely blew an engine at the end of the race? If so, how many engines does that put him down now?

And what's the penalty for going over the allocation... is it a 10 place grid penalty for each new engine, or some other quirky calculation?

Do we know if Ricciardo definitely blew an engine at the end of the race? If so, how many engines does that put him down now?

And what's the penalty for going over the allocation... is it a 10 place grid penalty for each new engine, or some other quirky calculation?
At least if he starts way in the back he doesn't have to worry about losing his position at the start.

dubc35

Not sure on the penalty question but going to #4 in Barcelona according to Autosport.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/118608
"All the [post-race] fireworks went off and the engine obviously wanted to join in," said Horner.

"It failed 200 metres before the line, but thankfully we had enough momentum to coast over the line.

"I think that the engine will be a coffee table in the future - that's three out of four now for Daniel.

"He'll be on engine four in Barcelona."

Hammer24

Banned
I'll take Hammers word over Bensons any day of the week. I'm shocked he still has a job.

Don´t blame him. F1 is the most gossipy society I´ve ever seen. Even for someone who has years of experience like Benson, you can never be sure if you got told the truth, a lie, a test balloon or anything in between.

itsgreen

At the moment, where 4 is still the official maximum (they have agreed on 5, but that is not official yet afaik):

10 places for the first element to reach 5
5 places for every other element that reaches 5

10 places for the first element to reach 6
5 places for every other element that reaches 6

etc etc....

So a complete engine would be 35 places... which will be done in the current race, so it won't be brought over to the next race...

If after the grid penalty there are still penalty places left:

1-5 untaken = 5 second penalty at 1st pit stop
6-10 untaken = 10 second penalty at 1st pit stop
11-20 untaken = Drive through penalty
>20 =10 second stop and go penalty

Hammer24

Banned
IMG_4855.png

IMG_4856.png

The PDVSA-backed Lotus driver, however, insists his reputation as a crasher is undeserved, “When Pastor crashes, it’s big news. When the other people crash, there is no news.

“To find the limit, you need to cross the limit. I think I have the big balls to cross the limit every time,” argued Maldonado.

Merhi might be out starting from Barcelona, as Manor is said to be in talks with a driver who brings more money.

Humidex

It would been a whole lot better in the UK if it wasn't on BT Sport for starters....

Aiii

So not worth it
What good are big balls if all they get you is a finish in 15th place.

I mean, if all you're beating are retired drivers and the Manor's, then you could pretty much have double D's hanging between your legs, it's not doing you any good Pastor.

Humidex

How good did it really do when it was on BBC up until last year.

I thought the coverage afforded to the series on the BBC was by in large, pretty good.

Seeing that I live in an area where satellite dishes are not permitted to be installed, that leaves me with very few options now. Sky Go is available, but BT Sport isn't. And I'm not prepared to leave my Plusnet service just yet...

frontieruk

I thought the coverage afforded to the series on the BBC was by in large, pretty good.

Seeing that I live in an area where satellite dishes are not permitted to be installed, that leaves me with very few options now. Sky Go is available, but BT Sport isn't. And I'm not prepared to leave my Plusnet service just yet...

Lots of the viewers from Eurosport refused to watch the BBC coverage, they watched the delayed Eurosport race, the BBC vs Eurosport commentators were worse than the Sky F1 line up vs the old BBC dream team, the coverage really was dire the lack of knowledge about the bikes and racers from the race commentators was appalling.

Cars are more popular than motorcycles.

That's all there's to that one mates.

I'm sure hey are. But then again, there are loads of other car racing leagues that are much more exiting that are less popular. I also tend to get more exited for an F1 race but I also think that we are doing some other sports a disservice. Last sunday drove that home. With both SBK and MotoGP races being absolute nailbiters and the F1 race being alright, it made me wonder.

Lots of the viewers from Eurosport refused to watch the BBC coverage, they watched the delayed Eurosport race, the BBC vs Eurosport commentators were worse than the Sky F1 line up vs the old BBC dream team, the coverage really was dire the lack of knowledge about the bikes and racers from the race commentators was appalling.

Luckily we have quite competent Dutch commentators. And with Eurosport securing a few years of broadcasting rights, I'm going to start following it full time again. With Rossi achieving God mode again, this is going to be season to remember.

Well, that was my topic derailment for today. Carry on:p

Business

I'm sure hey are. But then again, there are loads of other car racing leagues that are much more exiting that are less popular. I also tend to get more exited for an F1 race but I also think that we are doing some other sports a disservice. Last sunday drove that home. With both SBK and MotoGP races being absolute nailbiters and the F1 race being alright, it made me wonder.

F1 is a better soap opera. Just look at how many posts in this very thread are dedicated to the drivers, team managers and sport managers relationships and personal life. The racing itself is consistently bad but the whole show is very entertaining.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Bernie: "C'mon Britney, come with me to my lair and sing for me"
Nico: "Bernie, you forgot to take your pills again"

Hammer, any idea if the following from James Allen is true:

One of the reasons why the Ferrari is such a strong race car is because it has an aggressive engine mode, with a strong battery and an efficient compressor, which it is able to use all race long, whereas Mercedes has to dip into a more conservative mode at times during races.

Would that be a weakness of the current Mercedes design?

Juicy Bob

I'm pretty happy with two of the four races we've had so far this season. Malaysia and Bahrain were good grands prix that had overtaking, intrigue and drama with Raikkonen's late charge giving us a genuinely exciting finish.

People talk about older periods in F1 like the Schumacher years or the Prost-Senna years but the fact is that races tended to be less eventful than they are now. Australia was a poor race, but that had a lot to do with the fact that only 15 cars actually made it to the lights and a lot of that was to do with the politics of the sport, which is the single worst thing about Formula 1 in 2015.

MotoGP is great in a lot of ways, but it's a different sport. Just because it's the pinnacle of motorcycle racing doesn't mean it's directly comparable with Formula 1 in everything. What it does is offer a different kind of spectacle which, if you're a motorsports fan, is a great accompaniment to Formula 1. But MotoGP too can often be boring and monotonous - how many races has Marquez won with ease over the last two seasons? And even he doesn't have a team mate within reach usually.

That Argentina race on Sunday was exciting, but I was more excited by the final laps of Bahrain with Raikkonen hunting down the Mercs than I was by Rossi catching Marquez and that's because I'm just more emotionally invested in Formula 1 because it's Formula 1. It's the sport that first got me into motorsport and has been my favourite thing in the world since I was old enough to remember. It's V10 engines. It's Murray Walker's infectious excitement and enthusiasm. It's about incredibly fast cars fighting for the most prestigious prize in motorsport. It's the way the technology constantly evolves every single year.

I love MotoGP. I love the WEC even more. I really like NASCAR too. And WRC. IndyCar is even a good series. And the V8 Supercars is an awesome series too. And Blancpain GT. They're all different and they all satisfy a different aspect of that petrolhead addiction to racing. We're lucky as motorsport fans that we have so much variety in how we enjoy our sport - because football, rugby, NFL, basketball, cricket, whatever doesn't have anything like that. We should embrace the differences in the series and enjoy them for it.

RoKKeR

Good viewership from this past week's race in the US via NBCSN:

http://nbcsportsgrouppressbox.com/2015/04/22/nbcsn-presents-indycar-grand-prix-of-alabama-this-sunday-at-3-p-m-et/
NBCSN’S PRESENTATION OF BAHRAIN GRAND PRIX IS MOST-WATCHED NON-DOMESTIC F1 RACE ON CABLE IN 8 YEARS

Last Sunday’s F1 Bahrain Grand Prix (10:31 a.m.-12:49 p.m. ET) averaged 630,000 viewers, making it NBCSN’s most-watched F1 race since acquiring exclusive U.S. rights in 2013, and the most-watched non-domestic F1 race on cable in eight years, since the 2007 Brazilian Grand Prix (662,000; SPEED). Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes) won the race, holding off a late charge from Ferrari’s Kimi Raikkonen.

Top Bottom