• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2015 Season |OT| Formula E Feeder Series

Ark

Magnussen really isn't missing much at the moment, but his chance his likely gone with the Stoff tearing up GP2.

Magnussen really isn't missing much at the moment, but his chance his likely gone with the Stoff tearing up GP2.

Feel for him. It was too early a promotion for him. Same for Kvyat I fear.

Shows how hard it is when you make it to the top very quickly, something Lewis is still not being given enough credit to have done successfully.

Feel for him. It was too early a promotion for him. Same for Kvyat I fear.

Shows how hard it is when you make it to the top very quickly, something Lewis is still not being given enough credit to have done successfully.
I don't think a rookie will come out of the blocks that good for a very long time. Granted the testing ban isn't exactly helping either.

It sounds like Mags could very well lead Carlin into IndyCar next year with Honda.

I miss testing for all the opportunities that it afforded young drivers as much as what it did for the competitive balance. It was great see so many guys from F3000 and beyond get a chance to show their stuff.

Shaneus

I don't think a rookie will come out of the blocks that good for a very long time. Granted the testing ban isn't exactly helping either.
Ricciardo has come close, though.

I feel Perez will be the only driver who was promoted too early, relegated and managed to keep his drive.

Ricciardo has come close, though.

I feel Perez will be the only driver who was promoted too early, relegated and managed to keep his drive.
I think Ricciardo had more F1 experience than Hamilton did in 2007 though. But yeah Ricciardo toppling Vettel was great to see though.

Kyougar

Vettel - LOL. I'm absolutely convinced, and nothing so far this season changed my view, that this is exactly the same Vettel we saw last year. He simply lucked into another fantastic car and his team mate has some flaws, which doesn't make it obvious. Pair him up with Alonso or Ricciardo for that matter and you'll see the same as last year. Mistakes, average tyre management and quali pace which isn't really as great as it looks, since, as I said, Kimi is not strong in this area. Awful race by Vettel and I have to be honest, he made me smile sooo much :D

Perez - Great race, he's really superb at this circuit.

Alonso - Fantastic performance. To beat and hold off both Saubers and one Force India is a mark of how great driver he is. I really, really hope from Barcelona onwards they will be truly in upper midfield and moving forward won't stop there, because at this moment it's a waste of talent of 2 superb drivers :(

Maldonado - How many mistakes you can make during one race, lol? Apparently stalling during stop was also his fault and according to Ted team is starting to get fed up with Crashtor. Yeah, he was unlucky this season but somehow other drivers also starting in danger zone at every race, manage to avoid running into problems, unlike Pastor. I always thought 2012 Williams was multiple race winner and podium contender on pure pace and Maldonado's career so far only confirms my belief.

keep preaching.
Yes, Vettel made mistakes this Grand Prix. But Alonso heroically defending the saubers? Yeah right. You must have watched another race. But maybe its really Alonsos end-game to defend himself against Sauber and Force India.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Maldonado - How many mistakes you can make during one race, lol? Apparently stalling during stop was also his fault and according to Ted team is starting to get fed up with Crashtor. Yeah, he was unlucky this season but somehow other drivers also starting in danger zone at every race, manage to avoid running into problems, unlike Pastor. I always thought 2012 Williams was multiple race winner and podium contender on pure pace and Maldonado's career so far only confirms my belief.

It is not surprise that team is fed up with his performance - Grosjean is scoring points on regular basis and those points are golden now for the team. If Pastor could get a point or two each race, they would be chasing Sauber in overall standings... instead 3x retired and one 15th place...

Hammer24

Banned
Short explanation regarding the break by wire problems from yesterday.
What happened the engineers call the break "going passive". That means, you still have your full break power available, but the pedal works differently, other then you expect. You cannot dose the breaking power as you are used to, you have to use force (not feeling), and you have to kick the pedal way more down than usual.
ROS problems with bbw failures actually started in lap 3. He had them all race, on and off again. Which practically means, when you started to break you got surprised by the break either working as expected, or not. The tenth of a second it takes to register the difference could well mean the difference in hitting the breaking point on the track or being late. Combined with the lessening headwind on the first straight, that made for very interesting driving...
ROS bbw system was fully gone 3 laps before the end, HAM 2 laps.
Working hypothesis at the moment is that the problems were temperature related (some kind of overheating), but will of course be looked at in detail.

Ark

Hamilton said in the BBC interview that he managed to reset the system almost immediately, but everyone at Mercedes is basically saying it was a total failure, so who do we believe? :p

Hammer24

Banned
Hamilton said in the BBC interview that he managed to reset the system almost immediately, but everyone at Mercedes is basically saying it was a total failure, so who do we believe? :p

As long as its not fully clear what exactly went wrong and how, no one knows how reliable the telemetry data is. So basically: wait and see... ;-P

Donos

lol Mastah, Crashtor Maldonado is a good name.

Rosberg needs more pole positions. Everybody knows he can drive in top 3 but he has to prove that he can be faster then Ham and not always complain about this or that when he can't overtake him. Always complaining about stuff when you are the one behind, makes him look like a whiner.
Don't really like Rosberg but he gets a lot of shit lately and is under heavy pressure. He has to do something now...

Race was better than expected in the end (thanks to the second half). We need a race with heavy rain. These are always good for suprises.

itsgreen

bomb_disposal.jpg

Saw this one on the Autosport forums :)

Lach

So Danny will be on his fourth engine in Barcelona.

Do we have an overview of the drivers on how many engines / PU parts they've used?

DrM

Redmond's Baby
With that tempo, Red Bull could face their worst season in their recent history

We will see what they will bring to Barcelona, but with 4th engine on 5th race and with Kvyat struggling as crazy...23 points on the first four races is a total disaster for such team.

Lach: there is a thread about that on Autosport forums. read posts from user Exb

Dilly

Banned
F1: Bernie Ecclestone says Italian GP situation similar to Germany

Italy's future on the Formula 1 calendar is in a similar position to that of Germany before it was dropped for this season, says F1 boss Bernie Ecclestone.

The country is one of only two - Britain being the other - which has hosted a grand prix every year since the world championship started in 1950.

Monza has hosted the Italian Grand Prix for all-but one of those years, with the 1980 event being held at Imola, but its deal runs out at the end of 2016.

"We will have to wait and see," said Ecclestone. "They don't have an agreement - a bit like Germany really."

If the Italian Grand Prix goes, it will follow Germany, which was axed for the first time since 1960 this year, and France, which was dropped in 2008.

When it was suggested that losing the race would be unthinkable Ecclestone said: "I tell you something, I was told that when we didn't have a race in France.

"And Germany now. We've got some good replacements, haven't we?"

AZERBAIJAN RACE WILL HAPPEN

Ecclestone has given the go-ahead for Azerbaijan's street circuit in Baku to make its debut next year under the Grand Prix of Europe banner.

This is despite concerns raised by activists about its human rights record.

"Baku? No problem," said Ecclestone. "That's going to be another good race."

When asked if the country's human rights record will be checked, he replied: "We have.

"I think everybody is seems to be happy, there doesn't seem to be any big problems there."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/118616

Senile piece of shit.

Aiii

So not worth it
#MaxToMercedes

We need somebody to challenge Hammie, since Rosberg gave up trying.

I'm sure Jos has already paid them a visit.

But yeah, if Rosberg stays like this the entire year then Hamilton will just start live tweeting straight from the car as he leisurely goes about the track. #blessed #lovelytreeoverthere #shouldtakethedogsforawalklater #TeamLH

Mohonky

Just watched the GP;

- I don't understand Mercs strategists. When Vettel had an issue and had to pit again and put on a new wing it gave Merc a window for another stop. They had Vettel and Raikonnen had to stop again also. Had they pitted they would have had fresher tyres and more speed, Raikkonen wouldn't have even managed to get up to the back of Rosberg much less challenge. They got lucky there was no safety car or Raikkonen would have had them both. As soon as I saw Vettel come in for a nose my first thought was Merc should consider another stop for fresh softs just to cover the Ferraris.

- Raikkonen had an awesome race, Ferrari made the right call on the softs in the end. Excellent drive by him. As a Hamilton fan his podium is a win / win in my books. I think they snuck a Maldonaldo clone into Vettels suit today. Leaving the track, smashing his car up and generally just entirely missing brakng points.

- Speaking of Maldonaldo, I really do wonder where the money he contributes in sponsors ends and his talent begins because he is just a broken limb to Lotus, his sole contrbution to the team is money because it sure as shit isn't as a driver. At what point does his uselessness outweigh his sponsorship. He's costing them points and cars at this point. Not every accident has been his fault but he consistently seems to find himself in position to be in one and if he doesn't he's all over the place and barely on the track. That shot of him spinning in China, I swear I saw a few of his crew laughing. Grosjean keeping the nearly dead dog that is Lotus limping along. I would imagine his entire mechanical crew is pissed with him.

- Unlucky for Massa, my favourite under achiever. He still did well though. Bottas taking the Greece & Italian football strategy of parking the bus. Worked well enough to keep Vettel at bay, even if Vettel did nearly wipe Bottas out at some point.

Who else? Barely saw anyone, its one of the first races for awhile where all the action was happening up front instad of in the middle of the pack. I'm not sure we even saw Ricciardo out there. Spent so much time watching the front runners it was hard to see who was racing who back there.

Also, Manor continue to exist. Which is pretty much the theme for any race weekend for them really. I do feel bad for them, they looked like the kid whose wearing everyone elses hand me downs. I don't know how they survive, no sponsors, you never see them on TV so why would you sponsor them and they could all but disappear and you would never know. It would be good if they could develop the car to be competitive. Its a bit hard for head of development old mate out back with nothing but a pencil, scissors, some card and sticky tape to really give them anything meaningful in the way of a faster car.

I'm sure Jos has already paid them a visit.

But yeah, if Rosberg stays like this the entire year then Hamilton will just start live tweeting straight from the car as he leisurely goes about the track. #blessed #lovelytreeoverthere #shouldtakethedogsforawalklater #TeamLH
During that time Roscoe will make a cameo as his guest race engineer #BestDogs.

Bernie needs to fucking go.

The longer he has involvement in this sport the worse it's going to get.

Porsche,VW,Audi,Toyota,Ford don't want anything to do with the sport.

France,Germany and potentially Italy pulling out.

Things are only going to get worse.

Staab

I thought you were joking, I had to look it up! ...
So did I and, apparently, Azerbaijan is geographically half in Europe and half in Asia, despite being next to the Caspian sea... The more you know !

Hermann Tilke track though... so still fuck you Bernie !

f1-european-gp-at-baku-azerbaijan-unveiled-2014-european-gp-at-baku-azerbaijan-layout.jpg

hadareud

The Translator
Azerbaijan, grand prix of europe ?
I'm sorry, what ??!
Fucking Bernie, I swear !

The Council of Europe includes the countries of Armenia, Azerbaijan, Cyprus, Georgia, Russia and Turkey. It notes that "two Council of Europe member States, Turkey and Russia, belong geographically to both Europe and Asia and are therefore Eurasian. Strictly speaking, the three South Caucasus States, Armenia, Azerbaijan and Georgia are located in Asia, yet their membership (in) political Europe is no longer in doubt." [29] Although not a member, Eurasian Kazakhstan is granted the right to request membership. [30]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boundaries_between_continents#Europe_and_Asia

Sounds fair enough to me.

It's not like these borders aren't entirely arbitrary anyway.

Hasney

I really like this Arrivabene

Ferrari are holding off signing a new contract with Finland's Kimi Raikkonen and say the reason is to ensure he stays motivated this season.

His deal runs out this year and Ferrari have an option to retain the 35-year-old alongside Sebastian Vettel in 2016.

Team boss Maurizio Arrivabene said: "He has demonstrated he's a great driver so if you're asking now if he deserves to renew the option, I'm going to say yes.
"But if I'm going to say yes, I don't want a driver to fall asleep."

Arrivabene said: "Kimi is giving his best when he's in a bit of trouble. This is the psychological approach.
"The paper at the moment is white, OK? Sometimes I have to take the pen and then take it back, and Kimi is going to the podium."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/32383584

Aiii

So not worth it
I dislike Bernie as much as the next guy - but we should all be wary on who his successor might be!

At worst it's just gonna be a guy that's equally as bad as Bernie.

But F1 definitely needs a younger, fresher guy at the helm.

If only because F1 really needs to get working on a online streaming service.

Donos

Came something out the situation where 3 cars tried to leave the pit at once?
Guess there was nothing wrong with it and nobody got a penalty. Probably a Sunni gif of it somewhere in this thread.

herod

Just watched the GP;

- I don't understand Mercs strategists. When Vettel had an issue and had to pit again and put on a new wing it gave Merc a window for another stop. They had Vettel and Raikonnen had to stop again also. Had they pitted they would have had fresher tyres and more speed, Raikkonen wouldn't have even managed to get up to the back of Rosberg much less challenge. They got lucky there was no safety car or Raikkonen would have had them both. As soon as I saw Vettel come in for a nose my first thought was Merc should consider another stop for fresh softs just to cover the Ferraris.

no, you don't sacrifice track position if you don't have to. Rosberg's error meant Kimi was able to pass him, without that it was questionable whether he would have made it at all. They had no guarantee that their tyre wear was better than Kimi.

Ark

Any change is good change. What we need is someone at FIA to grow a pair.

The FIA can't do anything because the top teams keep rejecting any proposals they make. Jean Todt has spoken in the media about this ad nauseum. I know we all like to hate Bernie, but the reality is that the teams are now equally as much to blame for the state of the sport.

TCRS

Banned
man I have to say watching Kimi yesterday reinvigorated like that feels good. I love him when he's good and hate him when he's lazy. Vettel was disappointing though wtf. Just when I was starting to like him he gives a performance like that. Rookie mistakes.

Ruruja

man I have to say watching Kimi yesterday reinvigorated like that feels good. I love him when he's good and hate him when he's lazy.

I'd like to see him back at his McLaren level. He was ridiculously fast back then and was a joy to watch. McLaren's reliability really cost him.

no, you don't sacrifice track position if you don't have to. Rosberg's error meant Kimi was able to pass him, without that it was questionable whether he would have made it at all. They had no guarantee that their tyre wear was better than Kimi.

Just before the first turn kimis gap increased from 1.1 to 1.4 so it was over.

Until I saw Rosberg overshooting the breaking point

I don't think kimi would've passed if Rosberg didn't crack

DieH@rd

Banned
Just before the first turn kimis gap increased from 1.1 to 1.4 so it was over.

Until I saw Rosberg overshooting the breaking point

I don't think kimi would've passed if Rosberg didn't crack

Kimi would not have passed, and Rosberg did not crack. His brakes failed. Hamilton got the warning of that, just before his own brakes failed.

Top Bottom