• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2015 Season |OT| Formula E Feeder Series

Jibbed

He won't be able to close out 20 seconds in 13 laps... track position is so much more valuable.

You saw how quickly Hamilton cut past Kimi, Bottas, and the rest of the traffic on brand new tyres. Rosberg would have literally blown past him with 7-8 laps to go. Maybe even Vettel too.

Pitting for mediums now secures that 2nd as a worst-case scenario, and now he can chase Rosberg with as much pace as he can muster.

Ty4on

Who knows - people have done 25-30 lap stints on medium with heavier cars...

It would have been worth the risk with Vettel 20+ seconds behind.

At a much slower pace. The tires were dropping off when he pitted. I don't remember what race it was a couple of years ago where Ferrari suddenly went 1 stop and got overtaken by everyone and their dogs.

jey_16

Banned
that girl in the Ferrari pits is Kimi's gf

1288705732901.jpg

oh, the life of the F1 driver

Zeknurn

The grand stands are pretty empty. We lost the German GP but we still have this rubbish track on the calendar. It's a shame.

Jibbed

Congrats to Rosberg, well-deserved win there. Standard boring as fuck Catalunya race.

Kvyat was a mistake. He's nothing but trash.

Wouldn't say he's trash, was just promoted far too soon. He was doing some great stuff driving that STR last year with less pressure.

Ferrari 48 seconds behind, ouch.

Linius

Following a live blog. At first they tell me Verstappen might have a chance to go for ninth and Sainz is way back. Five minutes later Sainz drives past him. What the fuck happened there?

Zeknurn

Well deserved win to Rosberg. He was on top this weekend.

Mercedes pace is still too good compared to Ferrari. Something needs to be done tbh.

Jibbed

Following a live blog. At first they tell me Verstappen might have a chance to go for ninth and Sainz is way back. Five minutes later Sainz drives past him. What the fuck happened there?

Tyres.

Mercedes pace is still too good compared to Ferrari. Something needs to be done tbh.

Lol ok. I was wondering how long it would be before we started getting RBR-esque performance culling posts.

Ferrari and the rest of the grid need to take the fight to them, not have chances given to them on a plate.

NewDust

Verstappen had to break heavily to let Bottas pass... Resulted in massive front left lock up.

No, track layout favoured Mercedes. Ferrari didn't look great in S3 so I don't expect them to fare so much better in Monaco (except for the fact that we will be using supersofts).

I truly expect Ferrari to be mighty in Canada and challenge on merit.

In the meantime, will Lewis sign with Mercedes before Monaco as Lauda predicted?

Zeknurn

The Spanish crowd has embraced German Jesus as their own.

No, track layout favoured Mercedes. Ferrari didn't look great in S3 so I don't expect them to fare so much better in Monaco (except for the fact that we will be using supersofts).

I truly expect Ferrari to be mighty in Canada and challenge on merit.

In the meantime, will Lewis sign with Mercedes before Monaco as Lauda predicted?

And I expect Mercedes to bring the first real upgrades of the season to Montreal and increase the gap substantially.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Ferrari 48 seconds behind, ouch.

Looks like their 'brand new' car did not meet their expectations.

We will have to wait till Canada, but Mercedes is preparing their first major PU upgrade (planned for Barcelona, but they opted to move it until Canada) + new parts for Canada. Probably they will test some stuff this week on testing.
Monaco is Monaco, everything can happen there, but Mercedes will probably walk it.

Jibbed

Looks like their 'brand new' car did not meet their expectations.

I'm not so sure they were ever that confident in it... Kimi basically ran a hybrid of the old and new, with Seb opting to run the full new bodywork spec.

The engine is definitely a step up though. Maybe they just suffer particularly with this circuit, Monaco should be closer.

Ruruja

Shame Hamilton borked his start. Could have been a fun battle between him and Rosberg the entire race, instead it was quite a boring one.

DBT85

I'm not so sure they were ever that confident in it... Kimi basically ran a hybrid of the old and new, with Seb opting to run the full new bodywork spec.

The engine is definitely a step up though. Maybe they just suffer particularly with this circuit, Monaco should be closer.

Monaco will just be yet another procession through the principality. Nothing more. Quali is all that matters.

I can't believe how little post race discussion there is... But then again, maybe there's not much to talk about? The FIA really need to swap Montreal and Monaco to make May a more overtakey month.

Damn Button

Speaking about it afterwards, Button said: "The first 30 laps were not boring – they were the scariest 30 laps of my life.

"We had understeer in the car but the rear wasn't there. As soon as I touched the throttle at any speed it was gone, the rear. At both high speed and low speed, it wasn't normal.

"I don't know why that is. We have to look at it more thoroughly."

McLaren had hoped that updates introduced for the Spanish GP would lift its performance, as Button warned that earlier optimism about scoring points in Monaco may have been premature.

"After today, I don't think I expect points at all this year," he said. "But hopefully today was an off day. It didn't feel right.

"The weekend has been reasonably good for us and I have been happy with how the car has been. But it was like flicking a switch in the race.

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/button-fears-mclaren-may-not-score-this-year

Sounds like Honda F1 all over again.

I think Mclaren are spending their resources on fancy PR:

http://www.mclaren.com/formula1/2015/spanish-grand-prix/spanish-grand-prix-race-report-2015/

"A vexatious afternoon"

ERIC BOULLIER - Racing director, McLaren-Honda

“For all at McLaren, a team that has won the Spanish Grand Prix no fewer than eight times in our illustrious history, it’s superfluous to state that this afternoon has been a more than somewhat disappointing one.

“Fernando was running reasonably well until his race was abruptly terminated by an as-yet-unspecified rear brake problem that caused him to overshoot our pit-box. That was irksome for all of us, Fernando in particular, but more important is that no-one was hurt.

“As for Jenson, he too had a vexatious afternoon, losing ground right from the start and complaining of poor rear traction thereafter. He eventually finished 16th.

“We arrived in Spain with robust but measured ambitions: to manage both our cars through to Q2 in qualifying and to score world championship points for the first time this year. The former objective we achieved; the latter we did not.

“Disappointing it was, but disheartening it isn’t. Yes, we’d all be more sanguine if progress could be made more expeditiously; equally, and importantly, our underlying pace is improving with every race.

“In two weeks’ time we’ll be in Monaco, on whose famously serpentine Tarmac we’ll be hoping to fare appreciably better than we did here in Barcelona today. McLaren has won at the Principality more often than has any other marque – 15 times to be precise – and, although we aren’t anticipating notching up victory number 16 there this year, I won’t shy away from proclaiming here and now that we’ll be aiming to score world championship points on May 24th.”

Top Bottom