• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2015 Season |OT| Formula E Feeder Series

Hammer24

Banned
New blood and a fresh look always makes things better. Just look at Honda with McLaren.

dead2.gif

Ark

They're probably trying to entice a VW/Audi buyout of the team. That would then pave the way for Renault to purchase STR and Red Bull can exist either has a title sponsor or not at all.

Deadman

At the weekend when Webber was interviewed by sky he essentially said if Dietrich Mateschitz says something you should listen, if Helmut Marko says something you should ignore it.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Well, Mercedes is donating 100 € for each kilometer that ROS leads for Laureus Sport for Good Foundation... that means they donated almost 28.000 € for Barcelona race alone :D

frontieruk

Lets imagine the following thing... (quote)

Lets imagine someone puts a small bladderlike device after the fuel flow sensor. One that fills with fuel when the car brakes, when the fuel flow is low and this bit more isn´t noticeable. Now imagine you could use this small reservoir like a turbo boost, especially in fast turns, like f.i. sector 3 in Barcelona. Now imagine you couldn´t use that anymore, ´cause the stewards know what to look for. It´s not out of imagination, you´d suddenly lose .5sec in said sector. :)

But that would hint at it being a driver controlled device right? as the cars were already in Parc fermé conditions when the suspicions were raised.

Hammer24

Banned
But that would hint at it being a driver controlled device right? as the cars were already in Parc fermé conditions when the suspicions were raised.

The initial suspicions were raised during winter testing. I'm pretty confident no one broke the rules this weekend.

DBT85

That would put him on more that what Vettel is believed to be on at Ferrari at £33m this year and about £20m for season 2 and 3, with potential bonuses of £15m.

Somehow I can't see that being the case.

I do wonder where paper pull this stuff from though. Hamilton is negotiating himself and I doubt the entire team knows what the deal is.

Rosberg is believed to be on £43m over three years.

Fox Mulder

I didn't realise Porsche and Audi were owned by the same companies. How does that work when they're competing against each other in WEC?

I'd love to see Porsche back in it, too.

Edit: Holy shit, each of the Mercs have only used one? Christ, that's depressing.

VW is cool with it as Porsche and Audi are going about WEC LMP cars a bit differently.

DBT85

I didn't realise Porsche and Audi were owned by the same companies. How does that work when they're competing against each other in WEC?

I'd love to see Porsche back in it, too.

Edit: Holy shit, each of the Mercs have only used one? Christ, that's depressing.

Better yet, in commentary they were suggesting that Merc were going to use the first engine for Monaco too!

That would mean when they bring engine upgrades they can apply them to all remaining engines.

frontieruk

Recalibrate your antennas! ;-)

I was going to say it wasn't the impression I got from his interviews, though he died seen a bit more evenhanded with the drivers than Lauda.

Better yet, in commentary they were suggesting that Merc were going to use the first engine for Monaco too!

That would mean when they bring engine upgrades they can apply them to all remaining engines.

I don't know what's most frightening, that they still have that big a lead with what was essentially last years engine, how reliable they are or the fact they probably aren't really running it near it maximum, all 3 depress me for the sport though.

Will be interesting to see if the engine upgrades allow them to pull away or if they just keep doing what they are doing until signs of others catching when they'll turn up the wick again.

DrM

Redmond's Baby

Their original plan was 2nd engine at Barcelona. But they decided that they will switch it in Canada, so they will be able to incorporate some token based upgrades into 2nd engine.

Ferrari is already using 2nd engine, so if they want new stuff in it they will have to use 3rd.

No wonder they made insane amount of kilometers during winter with single engine.

Sounds like Toto is a bigger cheerleader for Hamilton than people think he is. Didn't they horse around during a press conference while Toto was hungover from partying post Russia GP?

My view is solely based on his demeanor on TV and in press quotes where he mostly focuses on how awesome Rosberg's 2nd or 3rd was whilst very little said about Lewis' 1st (especially to British TV/media). I reckon he's got to try to prop up his other driver when down but sometimes last year, and even this year, it was getting ridiculous.

Hammer24

Banned
I was going to say it wasn't the impression I got from his interviews, though he died seen a bit more evenhanded with the drivers than Lauda.

That comes with the job description.

My view is solely based on his demeanor on TV and in press quotes where he mostly focuses on how awesome Rosberg's 2nd or 3rd was whilst very little said about Lewis' 1st (especially to British TV/media). I reckon he's got to try to prop up his other driver when down

That´s exactly it. He did just the same with HAM this Sunday.
Look, his job is not to be a cheerleader. He needs to make sure both perform to the top of their level. When one does, he´ll commend him for it. But its more important to help the other one get back to that too.

That´s exactly it. He did just the same with HAM this Sunday.
Look, his job is not to be a cheerleader. He needs to make sure both perform to the top of their level. When one does, he´ll commend him for it. But its more important to help the other one get back to that too.
I'd like to think being Hamilton's cheerleader is Lauda's job, Toto does seem like the more impartial middleman.

Zeknurn

Gotta love how much Red Bull is whoring themselves to Audi.

Well they have no future in the sport otherwise. I don't see Renault improving.

Brundle posted his wishlist for 2017

Meanwhile, there's lots of talk in various meetings about changes for 2017. Here's my initial discussion list.

1) Increase downforce, lowering the car by reducing the step and plank underneath, and improving ground-effect especially with front-wing end fences. Make the front-wing much less complex and susceptible to turbulence while following another car, and therefore hugely cheaper too.

Open up a few of the imaginary exclusion ‘boxes’ around the car to ensure ingenuity and evolution. Have a much cheaper and wider fixed specification two-piece rear-wing which creates drag and slipstream effect, thereby moderating absolute top speed to maintain circuits run offs, but also keeping sponsorship space. Get this right and then lose DRS.

2) Wider and 18” diameter wheels and tyres with much more grip and durability.

3) Lose 50kg from the cars. They are currently 125kg overweight compared to days gone past. Difficult, but try to find a way.

4) Keep the same hybrid engines, they will migrate towards 1000bhp peak anyway, but work on improving the sound and also a much lower fixed-price for customer teams. A discount is massively cheaper for the manufacturers than a redesign. Commonality of parts will slash costs and equalise motors. This should have been done from the outset.

5) Open up the rules on sharing components. It's crazy that everyone must create bespoke items to identical regulations. We can't see these parts so share them, slash costs, equalise the cars more, and knock the money off the grandstand prices. I'm talking about brakes, gearboxes, chassis for customer teams, and so on. We want to watch racing, we don’t have X-ray eyes to see under the bodywork or in the CAD and CFD computers.

From 2017 onwards I never want to hear a driver saying he's holding back to protect his tyres again, or an engineer say on the radio ‘to avoid interaction at the end of the race we’ll...’

All sensible changes.

Aiii

So not worth it
Kit cars should have never disappeared. Absolutely no reason why they shouldn't exist, Brundle is right.

I'd much rather see a couple of different 2014 kit cars on the grid, than one Manor.

Jibbed

All sensible changes.

100% agreed on all of those, Brundle knows his shit.

We need him in a position of power in the FIA... great talent in the commentary box, but the sport would really benefit with his line of thinking influencing regulations.

Mastah

Also DC on current state of F1:

They might not say so publicly, but I know that the current drivers are all a bit disillusioned with the current F1 because the cars are so slow compared to previous years, and the drivers are so far within their ability levels during the races.

You watch the in-car camera through somewhere like Turn Three in Barcelona. That should be right on the edge, heart in mouth, nearly flat-out, like it was a few years ago. Now they all have to take a massive lift through there.

You will very rarely hear them saying it publicly but, without exception, no-one in F1 likes the construction and compound range of the current tyres, and people are very negative about Pirelli as a result; hardly good PR.

Now, it is the other way around, and the times the drivers are completely on the limit during a grand prix are a small minority. Sometimes they never are.

A corollary of this is that if the drivers are not pushing, they are far less likely to make a mistake. You don't see so many as you used to. And mistakes add excitement.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/formula1/32699924

I like both Brundle and Coulthard.

They could both bring something to the table in the FIA.

To add to their wish list, the teams should be given less power. and money should be spread in an equal manner in relation to constructors finishing position, regardless of how long you've been involved in the sport.

Doing so may tempt other manufacturers to enter the fray.

Pimpwerx

I never posted after the race. I watched it live, but passed out right after. I should've watched it on delay.

Good win for Nico. Lewis stood no chance Sunday. Good drive by Lewis to overcome that terrible start. Good showing by Vettel as well.

It wasn't the worst Spanish GP I've seen. Roll on next race. PEACE.

Pimpwerx

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/may/11/lewis-hamilton-mercedes-three-year-contract-f1-130m

£130m / 3 years - if true, wow. That's a lot.

A bit disappointed Lewis won't leave Mercedes. Would have loved him at Ferrari. Don't get the sense that Toto likes Lewis at all.
Well earned, if true. He pulled the Joe Flacco power move. Instead of taking the easy extension in your contact year, let it expire and win the championship that year. Your gonna park a bank truck in the off-season. Looks like what Lewis did. PEACE.

Pimpwerx

Well they have no future in the sport otherwise. I don't see Renault improving.

All sensible changes.
Meaningless changes if brake technology isn't changed. Carbon brakes bite too damn hard, have zero crossover with consumer cars, and have shrunk braking zones. Lightening the cars and improving grip would only stand to exacerbate the problem IMO.

Then again, I've been banging this drum for over a decade, and nothing has been done in that regard. I believe that empirically, braking is where F1 cars gain their biggest advantage over other vehicles, and that is also the primary vehicle for overtaking. So clearly something has to give IMO. PEACE.

operon

Their original plan was 2nd engine at Barcelona. But they decided that they will switch it in Canada, so they will be able to incorporate some token based upgrades into 2nd engine.

Ferrari is already using 2nd engine, so if they want new stuff in it they will have to use 3rd.

No wonder they made insane amount of kilometers during winter with single engine.

Ferrari only changed the ICE not anything else, that's what I thought

I have to imagine drivers like Hamilton who are in top form of their career feel like the current regulations have cheapened the victory/thrill a bit. Especially seeing how he idolizes Senna who would have probably left the sport if he was constantly told to manage tires, reduce pace, and avoid challenges for the win.

It sucks as a spectator, so I don't see how the drivers would be immune to it. What initially felt like a positive by shaking up races with different tire strategies has devolved into a massive blight on F1 races. I really want tire competition back and no artificial durability limits. Everything they have introduced into F1 to make it "more exiting" has now tapered off into fake "thrills" of DRS passes and horseshit tire strategies. All of this on top of slower moving and fuck awful sounding cars. I am really trying to stay interested in F1, but this season is becoming a real test, even with the possibility of some battles upfront. Sure it might end up close on points again, but this does not feel like the sport I fell in love with as a kid. The sport I get goosebumps when enthusiastically telling people unfamiliar with F1, just how mind-boggling insane these cars and drivers are.

Mastah

Yeah, I want to see drivers push again, but there needs to some element of strategy to F1 IMO. Refuelling is never coming back, so I don't know what they could do...

Step into good direction would be ability to choose and use tyres freely. Let's say Pirelli announces the softest tyre available for particular weekend (for Monaco that would be supersofts, so all 4 would be possible to pick) and teams can choose two compounds they prefer. Then they can use them however they want, no more bullshit of "if in Top10 start on tyres you achieved best lap in Q2" (btw. how is that offering more variable strategy, if since 2014 in 100% cases it was always softer tyre for 10 quickest drivers?) or "use both compounds". Mix and match, soft fronts, hard rears or the opposite, maybe only 1 tyre of another compound, just some variety, not regulated to death crap we have today. At worst it would be the same as now, but in the best case we would get something different and more exciting. All within current regulations and safety features (camber, pressures and so on).

Or bring back racing tyres, not entertainment gimmicks.

Top Bottom