• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2015 Season |OT| Formula E Feeder Series

Jibbed

Dh1tPse.jpg

Just saw Mark Webber commenting on the BBC (with Eddie being absent). Great to hear him, and let's hope he will become a fixed part of the BBC's team.

Ark

I can't believe how little post race discussion there is... But then again, maybe there's not much to talk about? The FIA really need to swap Montreal and Monaco to make May a more overtakey month.

In the thread? That's because we're in Community now and that Spain is a really boring track.

Zeknurn

LOL the Formula 4 highlights on ITV4 right now. It's their first time driving at the track and half the grid didn't make the first turn.

Shaneus

From the looks of this page, I assume I didn't miss much past lap 20 or so? Would the muck up in Hammy's first stop have affected his final position at all?

Another lousy show by Renault, but at least they had all four cars finish this weekend. Is this the first time this year?

Kvyat is doing horrifically, too. Could've expected this, just need to know who'll replace him next year, guessing it'll be one of the STR boys.

I hate this GP, it's the worst track of the year, I even hate it in game too. Valencia is a much better Spanish GP.

I also hate the way F1 is going.

Some changes I'd make:

- Give teams a fixed amount of fuel for race days. Say 100KG as current. Allow them to utilise it as they see fit, none of this flow crap.

- Fuck tyre management. Teams have 4 sets of tyres on race day. (2 option and 2 prime). Everyone starts on fresh tyres. They degrade but not as harsh as currently. You must make a minimum of 2 stops per race. Both types must be used for 50% of the race each. Could do 50:50 Sints or 25:25:25:25, As the tyres degrade, there will be a point where changing them from say prime > prime would be beneficial.

Or

Could make it mandatory that there is 3/4 stops per race with tyres that allow you to go flat out for each stint, which still allows the teams to be tactical with when they use their stops in comparison to the first option.

- Every team has a fixed budget for the season. How they spend their budget is up to them as they see fit.

However a similar structure to Moto GP will be adopted. "Factory/Manufacturer teams" (Mercedes, Ferrari, Red Bull, McLaren) and "Private/Customer teams" (Willams, Toro Rosso, Lotus etc.)

The private teams would benefit from less restrictive rules on the number of engines allowed per season and a greater fuel allowance. There would still be a limit of course.

###

Some other ideas but I'm typing this on my phone so it's not my full thoughts/as comprehensive as I'd like.

Ark

From the looks of this page, I assume I didn't miss much past lap 20 or so? Would the muck up in Hammy's first stop have affected his final position at all?

He would've been able to chase down Rosberg, but he'd never be able to overtake because Rosberg would just stop cruising whenever he got close. Same thing Hamilton has been doing to Nico for ages. Hamilton's race was lost both when he didn't get pole and when he had a poor start. 2nd is hardly a worry though tbh.

Shaneus

He would've been able to chase down Rosberg, but he'd never be able to overtake because Rosberg would just stop cruising whenever he got close. Same thing Hamilton has been doing to Nico for ages. Hamilton's race was lost both when he didn't get pole and when he had a poor start. 2nd is hardly a worry though tbh.
Yeah, fair enough. I'm more concerned about every other team that can't seem to catch up.

There was one shining light of hope last night though: Having downloaded the Star Sports app on my iPad (with an Indian iTunes account), the F1 paid subscription, DNS location spoofing sub and a nifty UE bluetooth speaker I was able to watch the early part of the race in bed lying down (locked the view so I could watch it in landscape on it's side while my iPad sat portrait on my bedside table, if that makes sense).

It was glorious.

DD

Yeah, fair enough. I'm more concerned about every other team that can't seem to catch up.

There was one shining light of hope last night though: Having downloaded the Star Sports app on my iPad (with an Indian iTunes account), the F1 paid subscription, DNS location spoofing sub and a nifty UE bluetooth speaker I was able to watch the early part of the race in bed lying down (locked the view so I could watch it in landscape on it's side while my iPad sat portrait on my bedside table, if that makes sense).

It was glorious.

That Webber gif would be so much more weird with little kids instead of the girls...

Hammer24

Banned
Couple takeaways from the race:
- with the private problems sorted, ROS looks to be back on a level with HAM
- If HAM loses another race to ROS, will the circle of life continue and the press eat him alive for his jetset lifestyle?
- with FER rear taking a page out of the MER playbook, they are getting hard to overtake as well. Same thing: get within a sec, and your front tyres degrade like mad
- FER still has a lot of work to sort through the data for all the new parts. I´m very curious how they balance everything between the drivers.
- cook/account manager firings all seem to be linked to Rivola, but still nothing definitive, all very much rumors
- ALO :-((

Bring on Monaco!!! :))

Ark

Hamilton will not win Monaco. It won't happen. I'm calling a Vettel win.

EDIT: Managed to climb to 17th in the predictor league. Thought I had the top three locked out, but apparently I thought Kimi would beat Vettel to third.

mclem

Just saw Mark Webber commenting on the BBC (with Eddie being absent). Great to hear him, and let's hope he will become a fixed part of the BBC's team.

He was there for Qualifying, too, and Susie made a little bit of a comment about how he was a natural presenter. I get the feeling there's perhaps a little bit of a "the door's open for you if you want it" there.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
- If HAM loses another race to ROS, will the circle of life continue and the press eat him alive for his jetset lifestyle?
- with FER rear taking a page out of the MER playbook, they are getting hard to overtake as well. Same thing: get within a sec, and your front tyres degrade like mad
- FER still has a lot of work to sort through the data for all the new parts. I´m very curious how they balance everything between the drivers.
- cook/account manager firings all seem to be linked to Rivola, but still nothing definitive, all very much rumors

Monaco is a crap shoot, whatever the result you can't read anything into it.

This win means nothing for Rosberg. The BBC were trying to talk it up as being some momentum starting from Bahrain. It has been 5 races with both having equivalent equipment - he was bound to win eventually. To give him credit, Rosberg just looked like his car was dialled in better than Hamilton, so even if Hamilton got away cleanly I think Rosberg could have managed it from the front.

Hamilton will not win Monaco. It won't happen. I'm calling a Vettel win.

EDIT: Managed to climb to 17th in the predictor league. Thought I had the top three locked out, but apparently I thought Kimi would beat Vettel to third.

Ferrari was awful in sector 3 in Barcelona. Highly unlikely they will beat Mercedes there. Arguably, Williams could beat them too.

What do you mean by on a level with HAM? I would think he's back to being at his best (and glad he is, because otherwise this season would have been no fun at all) but his best was never level with HAM.

What's really worrying for HAM are the balance issues still rearing their head. He was consistently slower by 0.2s through S3 throughout the weekend. He better crack on with his engineers to make sure that that doesn't happen. That said, his race pace was pretty good, especially on the hard where he was arguably faster than Rosberg.

It was MER in qualifying. They wanted the stewards sensitized for the problem... ;-)

So Mercedes was cheating? Or Mercedes reported the problem? AMuS seems to think that Ferrari was the culprit.

Hammer24

Banned
Monaco is a crap shoot, whatever the result you can't read anything into it.

Of course not. But its still the most fun race to see live.

What do you mean by on a level with HAM? I would think he's back to being at his best (and glad he is, because otherwise this season would have been no fun at all) but his best was never level with HAM.

I have to agree to disagree here.

So Mercedes was cheating? Or Mercedes reported the problem? AMuS seems to think that Ferrari was the culprit.

MER showed the stewards what to look for, if they want to find a team cheating. For me personally its very telling when a team goes from being ~5secs back over a race to ~45secs back. But that might be just me. :)

stryke

Just read that a visor tear off caused Alonso's brakes to fail. I'm surprised those littered visors don't cause shit more often.

Of course not. But its still the most fun race to see live.

I have to agree to disagree here.

Lewis has won 9 of the past 12 races. Nico has been thoroughly outpaced in most, if not all races (even the ones he finished ahead of Lewis), has lacked racecraft at crucial moments (Spa, Hungary, Malaysia '15, China '15).

You have a case for qualifying, but again Lewis has indicated that he wasn't even at one with the braking on the W05 (he seems much more comfortable this year given that he can play with the Brembo and Carbone), and it did appear that Nico may have been sacrificing his race pace to have track position last year.

Empirical evidence goes against you in this case. If anything, Lewis is probably not given enough credit in his dismantling of Rosberg since 2014.

MER showed the stewards what to look for, if they want to find a team cheating. For me personally its very telling when a team goes from being ~5secs back over a race to ~45secs back. But that might be just me. :)

Cheeky. I don't think this is engine related, though. Their engine had plenty of grunt and relatively good fuel consumption. I think it is track related more than anything. Ferrari's balance looked awful and the car looked a handful through the slow, tight corners of the last sector. It's like from China to Bahrain, where they went from distant second to arguably fastest car in the race all things considered.

Interestingly, Ferrari looked a match for Mercedes through sector 2 in the race, but that might have been a result of the Mercedes drivers taking it easy on their tyres through there.

Hammer24

Banned
Interestingly, Ferrari looked a match for Mercedes through sector 2 in the race, but that might have been a result of the Mercedes drivers taking it easy on their tyres through there.

Lets imagine the following thing... (quote)

Lets imagine someone puts a small bladderlike device after the fuel flow sensor. One that fills with fuel when the car brakes, when the fuel flow is low and this bit more isn´t noticeable. Now imagine you could use this small reservoir like a turbo boost, especially in fast turns, like f.i. sector 3 in Barcelona. Now imagine you couldn´t use that anymore, ´cause the stewards know what to look for. It´s not out of imagination, you´d suddenly lose .5sec in said sector. :)

Lets imagine the following thing... (quote)

Lets imagine someone puts a small bladderlike device after the fuel flow sensor. One that fills with fuel when the car brakes, when the fuel flow is low and this bit more isn´t noticeable. Now imagine you could use this small reservoir like a turbo boost, especially in fast turns, like f.i. sector 3 in Barcelona. Now imagine you couldn´t use that anymore, ´cause the stewards know what to look for. It´s not out of imagination, you´d suddenly lose .5sec in said sector. :)

Fair enough... very interesting if true.

What do you make of Ferrari allegedly using Haas to exceed allowed time in wind tunnel?

Hammer24

Banned
What do you make of Ferrari allegedly using Haas to exceed allowed time in wind tunnel?

I´d deem that rather irrelevant.
There is a much more intriguing idea to ponder:

Let´s assume what I wrote in the last post is true.
We would have a team, that brought a slew of new parts to the last race. We all know how long a part is in the development pipeline, until it actually makes its way onto the car. So it would be safe to assume, that said parts would have been developed while the bladder was in use, and they were to developed to work with that device.
So the question is: how good are your upgraded parts, when the bladder is NOT in anymore? Would it even be possible that one of your drivers would say the upgrades are now worthless and he´d prefer to drive the old spec?

I´d deem that rather irrelevant.
There is a much more intriguing idea to ponder:

Let´s assume what I wrote in the last post is true.
We would have a team, that brought a slew of new parts to the last race. We all know how long a part is in the development pipeline, until it actually makes its way onto the car. So it would be safe to assume, that said parts would have been developed while the bladder was in use, and they were to developed to work with that device.
So the question is: how good are your upgraded parts, when the bladder is NOT in anymore? Would it even be possible that one of your drivers would say the upgrades are now worthless and he´d prefer to drive the old spec?

tim-and-eric-mind-blown.gif

spuckthew

I dunno... Just from memory, the dodgy pitstop meant he ended up behind Vettel again for quite a number of laps. Hamilton was stuck behind Vettel until his next stop, so his entire second stint was basically compromised. If he came out in front of Vettel, which he likely would have done with a quicker stop (don't forget he also had to get around Maldonado), then he could have pushed. They committed him to a 3-stop strategy after being stuck behind Vettel in the first stint, so I think Hamilton dirivng the nuts off the thing in the second stint -- given the chance -- could have at least made it interesting towards the end of the race. Several people did tout a 3-stopper being quicker than a 2-stopper, so I reckon Hamilton would have at least made up lost ground and been on Rosberg's gearbox come lap 62.

However, I do wholeheartedly agree that his poor start made it an uphill battle from the get-go - an uphill battle that could have been won with a good stop and fast second stint.

Top Bottom