• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2015 Season |OT| Formula E Feeder Series

Azzawon

Not fixed. The main event of any race weekend has always been about the race on Sunday. That's where all the attention goes and that's all the casual fans care about, so changing that format will only confuse matters more.

Going to sound like a traditionalist here, but F1 has always had the one race, and it's always worked the same way without issue. Changing that would be wrong IMO. The attention needs to go towards the cars and the business side of the sport.

Aiii

So not worth it
Not fixed. The main event of any race weekend has always been about the race on Sunday. That's where all the attention goes and that's all the casual fans care about, so changing that format will only confuse matters more.

Going to sound like a traditionalist here, but F1 has always had the one race, and it's always worked the same way without issue. Changing that would be wrong IMO. The attention needs to go towards the cars and the business side of the sport.

F1 had a bunch of variety to their weekends, from reverse 1 lap qualifying, to Friday pre-qualifying, to sunday morning practice sessions, etc. etc.

There's always room for change and adding a third driver race, a sprint race, a qualifying race or anything like that doesn't take away from the Main Event at all.

Change isn't wrong by definition, it can be that a change makes things worse, but to hold on to something "because we're used to it" or "because it's always been like that" is the bane of all innovation.

Azzawon

F1 had a bunch of variety to their weekends, from reverse 1 lap qualifying, to Friday pre-qualifying, to sunday morning practice sessions, etc. etc.

There's always room for change and adding a third driver race, a sprint race, a qualifying race or anything like that doesn't take away from the Main Event at all.

Change isn't wrong by definition, it can be that a change makes things worse, but to hold on to something "because we're used to it" or "because it's always been like that" is the bane of all innovation.

I agree in some regards, but I don't think there's any issue with the current format of the weekend. I don't see the need of change 'just because'. The current qualifying format in particular is the best we've had after some minor tweaks in the past few years.

Aiii

So not worth it
I for one don't want 2 shorter races in a F1 weekend at all.

Neither do I, but does that mean it's a ridiculous option in a survey? No.

I agree in some regards, but I don't think there's any issue with the current format of the weekend. I don't see the need of change 'just because'. The current qualifying format in particular is the best we've had after some minor tweaks in the past few years.

I guess we're talking about different things, it's an option in a survey to gauge fan interest in changes, not a call for change. I don't think any option should ever be off the table.

Azzawon

I guess we're talking about different things, it's an option in a survey to gauge fan interest in changes, not a call for change. I don't think any option should ever be off the table.

I understand, but I think the fact that they're looking for ideas to change that format was a little odd considering nobody has really voiced a cause for concern in that regard.

I'm more disappointed that they spent more time on this topic when there wasn't much focus on the cars themselves, only a "which picture looks nicest" competition. It should've gone into much more detail.

Aiii

So not worth it
To be fair, the suggestion for a "third driver" race was pretty good. I'd love to see a Saturday post-qualifying race of an hour with third or rookie drivers.

Hell, make competing in that for a season a requirement for a F1 superlicense.

Zeknurn

To be fair, the suggestion for a "third driver" race was pretty good. I'd love to see a Saturday post-qualifying race of an hour with third or rookie drivers.

Hell, make competing in that for a season a requirement for a F1 superlicense.

Yeah I like this suggestion as well. I'd make the race award 3 constructor points to the winner.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
I'd like a sprint race for third drivers actually.

And I've always like the idea of success ballast. Didn't DTM use that? Not that I know if it's feasible in F1 cars.

Ark

I'd like a sprint race for third drivers actually.

And I've always like the idea of success ballast. Didn't DTM use that? Not that I know if it's feasible in F1 cars.

Plenty of series use success ballast, but in F1 you've got the problem of not actually having the space to put extra ballast. Not to mention how teams are cheeky enough with current ballast.

There are plenty of ways to make Formula 1 more entertaining as a spectator sport, but that isn't the spirit of Formula 1. The problem is making the sport entertaining whilst retaining the authenticity of pure racing.

Shaneus

I never usually pay attention to practice, namely becsuse it's never shown in Australia in the past and practice is practice, the times don't mean a lot in the greater scheme of things but this is interesting news to me.
Well, be grateful because this weekend NOTHING is shown in Australia! At least on FTA.

Jorav

They are? I thought I heard on the radio in an ad that it was exclusive to Foxtel. Maybe they just meant how it was ad-free.

Yep, it's only been like three or maybe four races since they broadcasted their last race? What a joke. I'd happily watch a delayed race just as long as i'm not giving in to the devil that is Foxtel

I listened to the FP2 BBC radio feed and Christian Horner was very unenthusiastic about bringing back refueling and made a point of saying that the proposed changes arent final. He didntt bring up costs as his main complaint, his issue was with how it would impact the action on the track.
Doesnt a team like RBR have to be on board with a change like this for it to be voted through?

_64125835_2005_usgp_getty.jpg

Well, it certainly was interesting

This proves everything that's right in tyre wars and everything that's wrong with the way the sport is governed ..

Ark

Filled out the GPDA survey. It was actually far more extensive than I expected.

EDIT: Bianchi's status is now 'stagnant'. As expected, it really doesn't look like a recovery is going to be possible at any level.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Filled out the GPDA survey. It was actually far more extensive than I expected.

EDIT: Bianchi's status is now 'stagnant'. As expected, it really doesn't look like a recovery is going to be possible at any level.

He will stay in vegetative state for the rest of his life.. :(

Aiii

So not worth it
He will stay in vegetative state for the rest of his life.. :(

Just like Schumacher, really.

Don't know about you guys, but I've specifically told my parents to pull the plug, if I ever end up that way. I'd rather be dead than face possible imprisonment in my own body, that shit scares the ever living fuck out of me, never been scared of death, but this, scary as all hell.

Business

Don't know about you guys, but I've specifically told my parents to pull the plug, if I ever end up that way. I'd rather be dead than face possible imprisonment in my own body, that shit scares the ever living fuck out of me, never been scared of death, but this, scary as all hell.

I myself have it on a written statement signed before a notary.

acm2000

wonder if Bernie would even let them pull the plug? theyre quite proud of their safety record and long run without a death in F1.

its the sort of shit he would pull lets face it.

Ark

wonder if Bernie would even let them pull the plug? theyre quite proud of their safety record and long run without a death in F1.

its the sort of shit he would pull lets face it.

It's not his call.

I feel the same way, really.

Ark

There's a GP2 race today? Are they racing during the weekend too?

I had no idea GP2 raced on Friday at Monaco, I'd watch but I'm at work.

Azzawon

Yeah, Vandoorne is the truth.

Vandoorne and Alex Lynn. Those two deserve drives in F1 next year
Lynn possible if Bottas goes to Ferrari?
. Here's hoping Palmer takes Maldonado's seat at Lotus next year too. Pastor still hasn't finished a race this year so if he carries on I can't see Lotus keeping him much longer, regardless of money.

Zeknurn

Fernley should be in charge of F1 tbh

Formula One’s Strategy Group has come under further criticism for being “not fit for purpose” after failing to address key grievances such as costs and revenue distribution at its last meeting.

Force India deputy team principal Bob Fernley complained that issues of substance were largely ignored during its last meeting, which resulted in a series of proposals intended to make cars quicker.

“After 18 months I think we’ve failed totally to agree on any form of cost control,” said Fernley. “There’s absolutely no way there’s going to be any redistribution of income. Power units are going to remain the same. And whilst I agree there’s some good discussions on [2017] the fundamentals of Formula One weren’t addressed at all.”

“I don’t think the Strategy Group is fit for purpose,” stated Fernley. “We should be looking at something where we’ve got a clear programme which delivers results.”

“We’ve had 18 months, two years of Strategy Group work with nothing coming out of it. I think we need to look at the system in a better way. In days gone by, with [former FIA president] Max [Mosley] and Bernie [Ecclestone] in charge, there would have been none of that, we would know exactly where we were going.

“I don’t think you should have the teams making decisions on where Formula One should go, the teams should be told where Formula One should go.”
http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2015/05/21/f1s-strategy-group-is-not-fit-for-purpose/

Azzawon

Just had a thought regarding the GPDA survey. Something that wasn't mentioned was 1-car teams, rather than the 3-car teams everyone is talking about. I think this could be huge for F1 and allow smaller budget teams to enter into the championship, and would probably be boosted further if a budget cap was brought in alongside it.

Top Bottom