• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2015 Season |OT| Formula E Feeder Series

Zeknurn

clipboard01ohq7p.jpg

clipboard021mrtd.jpg

Wouldn't mind this grid on Sunday. :D

You wouldn't mind Hamilton walking away with another win?

Mohonky

Yup, always the case in Monaco.

I never usually pay attention to practice, namely becsuse it's never shown in Australia in the past and practice is practice, the times don't mean a lot in the greater scheme of things but this is interesting news to me.

Mastah

I remember that in the era of Hakkinen vs Schumacher, Ferrari and Schumacher were testing their car at Fiorano on Friday during Monaco weekend :D

From Autosport BB, former FOM cameraman:

Just got an E-mail from someone in Monaco (From FOM TV) telling me that teams have held some discussions in the paddock yesterday & that none of them want refueling back & that it seems it was been proposed at the biggin hill meeting by some of the people from CVC/FOM/FIA.

With the exception of Mercedes who said they didn't care either way all other team representatives at the strategy group were in opposition against refueling.

The Mid-field, Smallest teams don't want it in part because it would add an extra $1m+ per-race to ship the equipment & people needed to run the rigs on top of cost's to redesign the cars, There was also safety concerns & it also seems that the main view from the teams is that most of them feel it wouldn't be good for the racing.

http://forums.autosport.com/topic/197490-2017-rule-changes/page-20#entry7170904

Horner said the same on Sky, so hopefully refuelling won't be back.

DBT85

Interesting tos ee all the drivers are generalyl so happy about the refuelling and Alonso even calling fora tyre war again.

Another thing occured to me just now about the refuelling, the cars will be able to push more even with the same total amount of fuel, simply because they won't be wasting as much fuel carrying it all around every lap.

I still want to see them do something to limit the negative impact of following behind other drivers though.

I never usually pay attention to practice, namely becsuse it's never shown in Australia in the past and practice is practice, the times don't mean a lot in the greater scheme of things but this is interesting news to me.

Friday is party day in Monaco.

Dilly

Banned
At first I liked the idea of refueling, but when I actually think back to those days, the only thing I can remember is people holding a reasonable gap to the car in front to save tires and push whenever the car in front pits to overtake.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Interesting tos ee all the drivers are generalyl so happy about the refuelling and Alonso even calling fora tyre war again.

One tyre manufacturer shoud supply only Ferrari and another one should supply other teams.

Aiii

So not worth it
That's basically how it always was when we had more than one supplier... :p

It was pretty even during the Michelin/Bridgestone days.

But I loved the Goodyear vs. Bridgestone days, really. Each race was interesting because the tires were integral in which of the teams had better performance. It definitely added to the show.

Lewis throwing down the gauntlet for Rosberg. I imagine he wants to smash him this weekend for multiple reasons: to curb any of Rosberg's momentum from last week and to pay him back from the nonsense last year. Plus, it's a track Lewis has been only modestly successful at, with just the one win back in 08.

Aiii

So not worth it
Maybe rainy conditions and Pastor Maldonado driving cancel each other out and it combines into a Senna-esque level of car control?

Zeknurn

According to AccuWeather there will be showers 2pm on Sunday. This race might not be boring after all.

Who am I kidding, they will red flag the race if it's damp

John_B

That Hamilton lap looked like a roller coaster ride.

We need higher quality onboard footage. Is it an issue with transmitting high bandwidth footage from the cars or is it the camera technology used (special weight, size, sturdiness requirements)?

DBT85

_64125835_2005_usgp_getty.jpg

Well, it certainly was interesting

That was something that could have been and should have been avoided by adding the chicane that the teams asked for and then punishing Michelin in some other way. What they did only hurt the entire sport in the US rather than just the manufacturer.

I'm all for multiple tyre suppliers provided that everyone supplied by them get the same rubber and that teams pay a flat rate for the tyres over the year. Any development costs come form the manufacturer, not the teams. Same should be the case for the PUs (not sure how that works currently.)

Azzawon

Been watching FP at work, Hamilton looks untouchable today. Unless Rosberg
or Verstappen
pulls a miracle, this could be another walk in the park.

Hammer24

Banned
That Hamilton lap looked like a roller coaster ride.

We need higher quality onboard footage. Is it an issue with transmitting high bandwidth footage from the cars or is it the camera technology used (special weight, size, sturdiness requirements)?

Its a special problem in Monaco, where the cams signal gets distorted by the narrow track framed by highrises.

DBT85

It would be a miracle, yeah. Then again, the Mercedes looked bombproof last year until Canada. They're still on their first PUs as well, unless they have new ones for this weekend?

As far as I know they are still on the first since the race is so much less stressful. IIRC the plan is for 2nd engine in Canada with tokens used, allowing them to apply tokens to more engines.

Looking at the PU usage Renault should be ashamed of themselves. Holy shit just noticed that Sainz is the only one not on 4 engines #blessed.

Azzawon

Ha! Taki Inoue getting a mention on the survey.

Edit: Interesting mention of what we'd like the future cars to look like too. WEC cars? Deltawing? wat

Azzawon

Question 11 on this survey. Just shows how out of touch F1 has become. Success ballast, water sprinklers, two short GPs? You mention it, every stupid idea is in there.

Aiii

So not worth it
Question 11 on this survey. Just shows how out of touch F1 has become. Success ballast, water sprinklers, two short GPs? You mention it, every stupid idea is in there.

It's not out of touch or anything. It's a survey, so yes it includes ideas you might consider stupid and others might enjoy.

The idea of a sprint or qualifying race isn't even remotely stupid as it works really well in other open seater competitions.

Azzawon

It's not out of touch or anything. It's a survey, so yes it includes ideas you might consider stupid and others might enjoy.

The idea of a sprint or qualifying race isn't even remotely stupid as it works really well in other open seater competitions.

I think a lot of the ideas in that particular question seem a little outrageous. I know they're looking to mix up the sport, but a lot of them seem way off and are seeking to make it more artificial.

Sprint and feature races do work well in other series, I agree, but this is Formula 1. It's about the Grand Prix.

Top Bottom