• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2015 Season |OT| Formula E Feeder Series

Aiii

So not worth it
Rosberg is happy but almost looks embarrassed to be there as the winner, Hamilton is bitter as fuck, rightfully so, and Vettel is bouncing like a newborn baby thinking "LOL ALONSO MADE THE WORST CHOICE OF HIS CAREER YAY ME!!!!!!!!!!!"

I think Vettel giddyness was more like "omg Mercedes is going to implode again and imma pull a Raikonnen '07 this season!"

dakun

Ricciardo was really lucky not to get penalised for that. Pretty sure the move was somewhat similar to Alonso.
The move was way worse. Alonso was right next to hulkenberg.. Imo not penalty worthy.
What RIC did was basically a video game move that was not penalised.

I have to say this was worth it just to see Hill and Herbert be so salty.
Well, not sure I'd expect anything else. They're there to analyse. What are they going to say... 'well they screwed that one up, but let's not think about it too much, let's talk about the nothing else too much that happened'.

What'd Seb do? I turned it over.
Butted in Martin finishing up the podium interviews by saying 'I'm happy' and giving some thumbs up, given the sombre Lewis and Nico not wanting to gloat too much.

TCRS

Banned
7zycQjY.png

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
People enjoy Vettel way more now that he is the troll on third place.

dakun

ehm, according to Lauda Hamilton initiated the pitstop because he complained about tires.
Hamilton just confirmed that the team said stay out. Hamilton complained about tires and assumed Rosberg and Vettel will pit too.
I guess team didn't tell him they won't

Mohonky

People enjoy Vettel way more now that he is the troll on third place.

He does funny interviews, its was his arrogant bullshit and toy throwing tantrums that got everyone riled up. Since he has been in a position where he actually has to work for it or knows he probably can't contend the WDC, he hasn't been acting like a spoilt shit because their is nothing to gain from it.

He has always been quite funny in interviews.

The story he told on Letterman about gojng through Customs in the US after the Canadian GP is quite funny.

dakun

Drivers know nothing. It's still the team to blame.
Thing is there was a short amount of time to decide. And they know their tires if nothing else.
Team just confirmed that they thought vettel would pit and become a threat which was obviously a mistake. Question is: how come Rosbergs team were smart enough to not fall into that trap

Thing is there was a short amount of time to decide. And they know their tires if nothing else.
Team just confirmed that they thought vettel would pit and become a thread which was obviously a mistake. Question is: how come Rosbergs team were smart enough to not fall into that trap

But they knew that Rosberg would stay out. So what Vettel would do doesn't matter.

John_B

I think this was an intelligent move by Rosberg. Faking to be slower than Ferrari just to goat Hamilton into a pit stop. Brilliant.

The unworthiness of that win will stay with me for all future Monaco viewings.

dakun

But they knew that Rosberg would stay out. So what Vettel would do doesn't matter.
I guess they though he would be a sitting duck for them? I'm not defending them. There was obviously a mistake. But it wasn't as malicious as some people initially made it out to be.

Hah. If Lewis actually wanted the stop then it's even more the team's fault then before. It's their job to look at the screens and tell him "no, are you insane? Are you deliberately trying to lose?" or at least tell him that there's not enough time to promise him that he'd get back out in front. Had they just blindly called him in then we could say they made a BAD decision. A decision at least. Instead, they made no decision and look like fools.

That's why you have a goddamn pit wall with a bunch of computers. To figure this crap out. Their damn job is to keep track of this stuff. And "hm, what if a safety car comes out right now?" is the sort of contingency you have at every race on every lap. Even more important at Monaco.

No sane person would have just assumed that the other leaders would all pit. It's Monaco. The entirely reason you all 1-stopped the rest of the race was to make sure you could block people as much as possible at the end if it got close.

This is 100% on the pit wall.

Mohonky

Hamilton just confirmed that the team said stay out. Hamilton complained about tires and assumed Rosberg and Vettel will pit too.

The team has a better over all picture of the situation, they know if he is fast or slow, they know what conditions are like for other drivers and where they are in relation to one another.

You often hear drivers complain about their tyres and the team tells the driver not to worry about it because others are having the same problem and their pace is still competitive. The pitwall and strategists can see that, the driver can't, thats why they make a lot of the calls about pitting or not.

There is however, no situation here where Hamilton pits during the safety car and wins. Its virtually impossible to overtake on the track and all drivers were on the same compound for the same amount of time, so they are all running roughly the same degradation. Hamilton can ask to pit all he wants, but the team is the one that can make the better call, see he wont come out in front from the safety car and tell him no just stay out.

There is no situation here where the team can see any benefit to pitting Hamilton, nor if there any chance even with the better tyres he can do jackshit about it at Monaco. The whole thing is a clusterfuck.

Thats the second time Merc have fucked up the pit calls with a safety car, it cost them the win in Malaysia as well. You'd think they woukd learn that by now.

Hamilton has a history of being screwed by pitting during Safety Cars though, its a proud tradition even going back to when Mclaren were fucking him in the pits as well.

Igo

Team just confirmed that they thought vettel would pit and become a threat which was obviously a mistake. Question is: how come Rosbergs team were smart enough to not fall into that trap
I don't think there a Rosberg or Hamilton strategy team. Merc strats are ordered down to the driver engineers and there's no debate going off the past two seasons.

He said he thought they had already pitted.

The drivers aren't even allowed to call for pitstops or override decisions. We saw that Monaco 2013 from Hamilton.

thenexus6

Pretty boring up until that crash then it turned epic. What the hell.

Haha it looked like the camera on Lewis was shooting slow motion when he pulled up and got out the car at the end.

I don't think there a Rosberg or Hamilton strategy team. Merc strats are ordered down to the driver engineers and there's no debate going off the past two seasons.
Mhmm. There's not a single race (before today) that goes by without constant radio messages of the pit wall scolding both drivers to behave so that it meets their plan. The drivers trust them to do this and set them up in the best possible position. Lewis was already mad enough after 2 very questionable calls in Malaysia which, combined, could easily be argued to say cost him a win. This is on a new level.

Razgreez

let's hypothetically say Rosberg wins the championship by exactly 15 points (the effective result of the of the change in position due to the unecessary pitstop). will he still say "I know I was lucky"

Pterion

let's hypothetically say Rosberg wins the championship by exactly 15 points (the effective result of the of the change in position due to the unecessary pitstop). will he still say "I know I was lucky"
Yea right... This is the same guy who celebrated the Monaco pole and victory last year as if he deserved it.

Top Bottom